COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    Mind if I borrow that bullet quote Gunny? That is poetry. :)
    No problem. Maybe it will get people thinking

Comment

• The survival rate for young people isn't 98%, it's 99.95%, and that's assuming you actually get it (which is probably guaranteed now with delta, but not 100% guaranteed).

There's going to be a lot of people who'd rather roll the dice on what seems like a common cold rather than rolling the dice on a vaccine that's not even a year old.

Maybe that's selfish, but people tend to be that way.
      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

No problem. Maybe it will get people thinking
        Not sure I'm that optimistic.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
          The survival rate for young people isn't 98%, it's 99.95%, and that's assuming you actually get it (which is probably guaranteed now with delta, but not 100% guaranteed).

There's going to be a lot of people who'd rather roll the dice on what seems like a common cold rather than rolling the dice on a vaccine that's not even a year old.

Not just selfish, it is stupid. The survival rates do not give any information about how many people suffer from severe illness or long term symptoms including permanent lung damage. Over 600,000 americans have died of Covid. Zero have died due to any vaccine related complications. So what exactly are people rolling the dice on?

Sometimes I think the way to counter this insanity is with your own misinformation on social media since people seem to believe random lunatics on youtube and fb far more than the CDC. Create a Bot farm and flood twitter, YT and FB with videos warning that severe covid is causing infertility and impotence among the survivors and the big bad government is hiding it from the public. All the "freedom" loving yahoos will throw their dice away and run to the nearest vaccination center.

Not that this is limited to the US either. There are enough covidiots everywhere in the world just as susceptible to misinformation. Difference being in most parts of the world the problem is still vaccine availability not hesitancy. They will reach that stage later.
          Last edited by Firestorm; 18 Aug 21,, 15:31.

Comment

The survival rate for young people isn't 98%, it's 99.95%, and that's assuming you actually get it (which is probably guaranteed now with delta, but not 100% guaranteed).

If Yo Mama had sat back and waited for the perfect (tetanus / measles / mumps / polio / rabies / rubella / yellow fever) vaccine, you might not be here to make that comment.
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post

Not just selfish, it is stupid. The survival rates do not give any information about how many people suffer from severe illness or long term symptoms including permanent lung damage. Over 600,000 americans have died of Covid. Zero have died due to any vaccine related complications. So what exactly are people rolling the dice on?

Sometimes I think the way to counter this insanity is with your own misinformation on social media since people seem to believe random lunatics on youtube and fb far more than the CDC. Create a Bot farm and flood twitter, YT and FB with videos warning that severe covid is causing infertility and impotence among the survivors and the big bad government is hiding it from the public. All the "freedom" loving yahoos will throw their dice away and run to the nearest vaccination center.

Not that this is limited to the US either. There are enough covidiots everywhere in the world just as susceptible to misinformation. Difference being in most parts of the world the problem is still vaccine availability not hesitancy. They will reach that stage later.
              The vaccines are less than a year old, it's not "insanity" to be skeptical with data measured in months. The 600k Americans that have died of COVID are not consistent across age groups and comorbidities.

If you don't understand that level of vaccine hesitancy and dismiss it as insanity, you're probably missing a few key probability estimates and problem-solving strategies.
              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

The vaccines are less than a year old, it's not "insanity" to be skeptical with data measured in months. The 600k Americans that have died of COVID are not consistent across age groups and comorbidities.
                No major science background am I right? Well I'll give you a hint n

Comment

If you don't understand that level of vaccine hesitancy and dismiss it as insanity, you're probably missing a few key probability estimates and problem-solving strategies.
                  Pray enlighten us of these estimates and strategies. No doubt the CDC missed them as well when it recommended the vaccine to all adults.

Comment

• Trump booed at Alabama rally after telling supporters to get vaccinated

Former President Donald Trump was booed at a rally on Saturday in Alabama after telling supporters they should get vaccinated.

"And you know what? I believe totally in your freedoms. I do. You've got to do what you have to do," Trump said. "But, I recommend: take the vaccines. I did it. It's good. Take the vaccines."

Some boos rang out from the rally crowd, who were largely maskless.

"No, that's okay. That's all right. You got your freedoms," Trump said, echoing rhetoric from opponents of mask and vaccine mandates. "But I happen to take the vaccine. If it doesn't work, you'll be the first to know. Okay? I'll call up Alabama, I'll say, hey, you know what? But [the vaccine] is working. But you do have your freedoms you have to keep. You have to maintain that."

Large swaths of the South is experiencing a surge in Covid cases and hospitalizations because of the highly contagious delta variant of the coronavirus. Cullman, where the rally was hosted, is experiencing a rise in cases that has matched its previous peak from late December. The city declared a Covid state of emergency on Thursday to provide extra emergency support for the rally.

Alabama has the lowest vaccinated rate in the U.S., with just more than 36 percent of its population fully inoculated, according to an NBC News tracker. Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, a Republican, has said "the unvaccinated folks" are to blame for Covid's resurgence in the state.

Nationwide, the overwhelming majority of Covid hospitalizations and deaths are occurring among unvaccinated Americans, The New York Times reported this month.

A Kaiser Family Foundation vaccine tracking poll released earlier this month found that Republicans were the second-least likely demographic group to be vaccinated, only above uninsured Americans under 65. While 57 percent of Republicans have received at least one dose of the vaccine or say they will get a shot as soon as possible, 40 percent say they either never will, will only do so if it's required or are still in wait-and-see mode. That 40 percent total is the second-highest of the 23 demographic groups surveyed.

Trump has endorsed vaccination previously but has often matched it with similar caveats. Just last week, after promoting the vaccines in an interview with Fox Business personality Maria Bartiromo, Trump claimed upcoming booster shots recommended by the Biden administration as "a money-making operation for Pfizer." (The Biden administration recommended booster shots for those who received Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.)

Pfizer, which Trump has attacked in a similar manner previously, was not a part of his administration's "Operation Warp Speed," the public-private partnership to accelerate vaccine development. Trump did not mention Moderna, which was a part of the program.

Too late dumbass, you created this monster and you get to own it.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• We got my stepson his booster yesterday, a day after we got approval from the transplant team. Waiting on Sept 20th to get ours.

Comment

• US regulators give full approval to Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. gave full approval to Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine on Monday, a milestone that may help lift public confidence in the shots as the nation battles the most contagious coronavirus mutant yet.

The vaccine made by Pfizer and its partner BioNTech now carries the strongest endorsement from the Food and Drug Administration, which has never before had so much evidence to judge a shot’s safety. More than 200 million Pfizer doses already have been administered in the U.S. — and hundreds of millions more worldwide — since emergency use began in December.

“The public can be very confident that this vaccine meets the high standards for safety, effectiveness and manufacturing quality the FDA requires of an approved product,” said acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock. “Today’s milestone puts us one step closer to altering the course of this pandemic in the U.S.”

The U.S. becomes the first country to fully approve the shot, according to Pfizer, and CEO Albert Bourla said in a statement he hoped the decision “will help increase confidence in our vaccine, as vaccination remains the best tool we have to help protect lives.”

U.S. vaccinations bottomed out in July. As delta fills hospital beds, shots are on the rise again — with a million a day given Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Just over half of the U.S. population is fully vaccinated with one of the country’s three options, from Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson.

The FDA’s action also may spur more vaccine mandates by companies, universities and local governments. This month New York City, New Orleans and San Francisco all imposed proof-of-vaccination requirements at restaurants, bars and other indoor venues. At the federal level, President Joe Biden is requiring government workers to sign forms attesting that they’ve been vaccinated or else submit to regular testing and other requirements.

Anxious Americans increasingly are on board: Close to 6 in 10 favor requiring people to be fully vaccinated to travel on airplanes or attend crowded public events, according to a recent poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

“Mandating becomes much easier when you have full approval,” said Dr. Carlos del Rio of Emory University. “I think a lot of businesses have been waiting for it.”

The FDA, like regulators in Europe and much of the world, initially allowed emergency use of Pfizer’s vaccine based on a study that tracked 44,000 people 16 and older for at least two months — the time period when serious side effects typically arise.

That’s shorter than the six months of safety data normally required for full approval. So Pfizer kept that study going, and the FDA also examined real-world safety evidence in deciding to fully license the vaccine for people 16 and older, those studied the longest. Pfizer’s shot still has emergency authorization for 12- to 15-year-olds.

Even after hundreds of millions of shots, serious side effects — such as chest pain and heart inflammation in teens and young adults — remain exceedingly rare, the FDA said.

As for effectiveness, six-month tracking of Pfizer’s original study showed the vaccine remained 97% protective against severe COVID-19. Protection against milder infection waned slightly, from a peak of 96% two months after the second dose to 84% by six months.

Those data came before the extra-contagious delta variant began spreading, but other data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows the vaccine is still doing a good job preventing severe disease caused by that mutant.

As for all the talk about booster doses, the FDA’s licensure doesn’t cover those. The agency will decide that separately.

The FDA already is allowing emergency use of a third dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine for people with severely weakened immune systems, such as organ transplant recipients who don’t respond as strongly to the usual two shots. For everyone else who got those vaccinations, the Biden administration is planning ahead for booster starting in the fall — if the FDA and CDC agree.

Also still to be decided is vaccination of children under 12. Both Pfizer and Moderna are studying youngsters, with data expected in the fall.

___

Well, now it's "put up or shut up" time for the anti-vaxx crowd. Quite frankly I don't expect this to make a noticeable dent in the "bUt mUh FREEDUMBS!!" cult, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

I'll be especially interested in seeing how the disgracefully staggering number of medical professionals who are "vaccine hesitant" react to this.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Florida mayor: 'I’d ask the governor to rethink his agenda'
                          New confirmed cases of COVID-19 and resulting hospitalizations are skyrocketing in Florida, and the mayor of Fort Lauderdale would like Governor Ron DeSantis to rethink some of the policies contributing to elevated transmission.

“If there’s an ultimate political agenda trying to appeal to some sort of outlier group thinking that’s going to advance a person politically, I just think they’re misjudging what people really want,” Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis said on Yahoo Finance Live (video above). “And I think that it’s ok to step back. It’s OK to say ‘all right, maybe we should change course.’”

DeSantis, a staunch Republican who is eyeing a 2024 election bid, enacted policies banning masks in schools and downplayed the latest Delta variant-driven surge while newly confirmed cases, hospitalizations, and deaths rose to new pandemic highs in the state.

“No one is going to blame anybody for doing the wrong thing because look, in government, we don’t always make the right choices,” said Trantalis, a Democrat. “But we do know that if we do make a wrong choice, we need to live by it and we need to accept the wrong choice and try to do the right thing. I’d ask the governor to rethink his agenda and try to work with all of the local communities in trying to keep people safe here.”

Hospitals in Florida are running out of ICU beds as they're being inundated with COVID patients, most of them unvaccinated. (Florida’s overall vaccination rate is 51.6%, which is on par with the nation’s average of 51.5%.) The city of Orlando is now asking its residents to restrict their water use in order to make sure there's enough to use as liquid oxygen for COVID patients.

"Our hospitals are experiencing the highest number of unvaccinated, critically ill patients at this point as any other point during the pandemic," Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said at a press conference on Friday. "Many of these patients require liquid oxygen."

Over the last 18 months, Florida has seen 3,040,590 total cases and 42,252 deaths from COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus. The Sunshine State also ranks fifth overall in terms of the number of cases per 100,000 people at 14,157.

“Keep in mind that it’s not just older people that are getting this disease,” Trantalis said. “We just had a recent death in our own police department, a 27-year-old young woman with a newborn child, a new husband, and tomorrow is her funeral. 27 years old, not vaccinated.”

We have a public to protect'
                          Conservatives have praised Gov. DeSantis throughout the pandemic for keeping the state’s economy going, while health officials have criticized his moves as dangerous to public health.

According to Trantalis, “you would have to ask” DeSantis what his ultimate goal is with his attitude towards the pandemic.

“All I know is that as I listen to the folks around the country, those in the medical community, they’re insisting that masks are important to prevent the spread of the disease and that vaccinations are clearly the best choice in terms of whether or not this disease is going to ever achieve the herd immunity that we’re hoping to achieve,” Trantalis said.

DeSantis has come out strongly against mask mandates, going as far as threatening to withhold funding from schools that mandate students to wear masks.

School-age children are proving to be more vulnerable to the Delta variant, which has become the dominant strain of coronavirus circulating in America. Cases in children have risen substantially since the beginning of July and now account for 18% of newly confirmed weekly cases, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), indicating an increased going into the new school year.

“The reality is we have a public to protect,” Trantalis said. “Government’s sole purpose is to protect its citizens. If we fail in that, then we fail in our responsibility. The school board made the right decision. The school board is now being assisted by the federal government in any way that it can to draw up any of the resources that might be denied as a result of the state trying to take some sort of action against it.”

Broward County recently approved a mask mandate for schools and is now facing threats from the Florida Education Commissioner, who has warned that board members could start losing their salaries if they refuse to include an opt-out clause for parents in any county-level masking policy.

“We cannot tolerate this as a community, as a society, knowing that there’s a possible cure out there and then to ignore it,” Trantalis said. “It’s just playing Russian Roulette with our society.”

'The message of getting vaccinated just doesn’t seem to penetrate the culture here'
                          In addition to encouraging mask wearing, Trantalis is also working towards getting more of his constituents vaccinated.

“In Broward County, in particular, just over 50% of the people are actually vaccinated fully,” Trantalis said. “So what’s the message we have to make? What do we have to say to convince people that vaccination is the way out of this pandemic? We’re looking for ways.”

The foundation of his efforts centers around one key course of action: Following the science.

“We’ve talked about that since day one,” Trantalis said. “Last year in March, we closed our beaches for spring break because that was the science back then: Avoid close contact, try to get people out of cramped quarters in these hotel rooms where all these kids were visiting our state.”

Since then, he said, they’ve learned that there are more efficient courses of action. Beaches and hotels have since reopened, but Fort Lauderdale is strongly encouraging vaccinations.

“We have free vaccination sites all over the city,” Trantalis said. “We even started pop-up sites in places that we find that the vaccination rate is least utilized — for example, in many of our churches, especially some of our fundamentalist folks who seem to have an aversion to this vaccine. We’re going to their pastors and setting pop-up vaccination sites at their churches.”

The city is specifically reaching out to the homeless and Black communities. (Black Americans are less likely to have received a COVID-19 vaccine than their white counterparts, despite being disproportionately hit harder by the pandemic.)

This includes “setting up pop-up vaccination sites, asking their pastors to spread the word, to preach the word to say that vaccinations are the right thing to do,” Trantalis said. “But we’re doing it without fanfare. We’re doing it on a community-by-community basis. But we’re getting it done.”

The state as a whole, however, is struggling to break down cultural and politcal barriers to successfully fight off the latest surge.

“Unfortunately, Florida is a hot spot here in the nation,” Trantalis said. “One out of every five new cases is in Florida. It’s really difficult to have to deal with that because it impacts so many people. It impacts schoolchildren. It impacts our hospitality business. It impacts people just coming to and from work because the message of getting vaccinated just doesn’t seem to penetrate the culture here.”

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1575537

Comment

• California may be joining Florida in crazytown soon if the recall succeeds and Larry Elder becomes the governor. He has promised to repeal all mask and vaccine mandates in the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              I can understand State and Federal Laws but this is Municipal Law. That is over reaching by quite a bit.
                              Not really. The municipal (county/town/city) is where the rubber meets the road and where schools operate. That is where the true rules apply.

Based on precedent I thinl the governors who are saying no masking allowed in schools are going ot lose in their own state courts and in the federal courts as well...that has been the trend.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                                We got my stepson his booster yesterday, a day after we got approval from the transplant team. Waiting on Sept 20th to get ours.
                                Didn't realize boosters were authorized yet...thought that was on hold.
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X