No announcement yet.

COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've also seen the stupid conservative-world memes about how Americans died like flies with H1N1 under Obama as compared to "just a few" with COVID now.

just when you think you've got a handle on the level of stupidity, someone proves you wrong.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

I don't know about HIV drugs, but Quinine helps with malaria and you can find it at any store world wide and its called Schwepss.

Four days before quarantine was declared at my friend's firm I started to feel bad. Like I felt that something was attacking me. I knew from previous flues that quinine helps and that it is one of ingredients of the schweppes soda so I went and bought two 2 litre bottles that I drank that night. Tomorrow, all symptoms were gone for that day. But in the evening they re appeared again so I took another dose, but since I've was working late I had to eat something so I took beacon (raw) and some garlic and than took schweppes. Symptoms never returned after that. So I don't know, it won't kill you to try.

Four more days to go with isolation.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Versus; 16 Mar 20,, 23:22.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Vinegar is also a good idea in that regard. Also safer to use, especially around pets and children.
        not recommended for the corona virus

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/best-wa...irus-your-home

Vinegar, tea tree oil and other natural products are not recommended for fighting coronaviruses. A study on influenza virus found that cleaning with a 10% solution of malt vinegar was effective, but few other studies have found vinegar to be able to kill a significant fraction of viruses or other microbes. While tea tree oil may help control the virus that causes cold sores, there is no evidence that it can kill coronaviruses.
        But malt vinegar is good on fish so not a total loss

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

Yikes, did not know that. Thanks for the info.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

Your EPA has a list out

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa...ainst-covid-19

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...infection.html

Didn't realise it was for the fish, usually sprinkled it on the chips (fries for you)
            Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Mar 20,, 03:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              Not heard this trope before but now you know : )

Partly false claim: “Every election year has a disease” | Reuters | Mar 06 2020

It looks like this
              Look at the first one --- SARS 2004 --- and tell me you didn't know this was totally fake.
              SARS started in November 2002, and ended in July 2003.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                Good God, people. Get a grip.

This is not zero hour of the zombie outbreak. 80% of the infected require no professional medical treatment other than rest and over the counter sympton medication. If you're sick, stay home and don't call mom to make chicken soup. The best thing you can do is to stay healthy and if you do catch this thing, don't freaking panic. Let your body do its job. If you body can't handle it, then call for help. You have better odds of surviving this thing than line infantry.
                That would be obvious except stupid human beings will be stupid human beings especially about their health which they understand very little. For a large majority the virus will give them a fever and dry cough like the common flu. For those with compromised immune systems and underlying health issues, particularly lung issues, then it is more deadly. However, that group isn't a large part of the population and could be isolated a lot easier than isolating every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

I will say that I have seen the bravest people who can simply ignore the doomsday predictions. Just getting back for Las Vegas it would be all those who hit the slots. Nothing gets in the way of an elderly woman and her slot machine I can tell you that. Now a game of close quarters blackjack would be a harder sell. Maybe...

Comment

• Originally posted by JRT View Post
                  That is understatement. I would suggest that since Nunes is a public figure of governmental authority, but is in no way any expert on epidemiology, he should be deferring to the judgement of experts. He should be well informed of those expert opinions before voicing his own. Instead, his suggestions are opposite expert opinion, and are endangering people, and the House should look at censoring him for this, or worse if they can show that experts have recently briefed him and suggested a very different course of action.
                  I would have never expected anything less from Dr. Kevin Nunes, MS, PhD in bullshit.

Comment

• Trump downplayed the coronavirus threat in its early days. A new report says Jared Kushner had been telling him the media was exaggerating the crisis.

In the early weeks of the outbreak Trump attempted to downplay the severity of the illness, comparing it to the common flu, describing it as a "hoax" concocted by Democrats at a campaign rally in February, and assuring Americans that the outbreak would "disappear."

He was reportedly furious about stark warnings made by health officials about the likely negative impact of the disease, and blamed them for spooking financial markets as he geared up his reelection campaign.

According to The Times, Kushner — who has reportedly been playing a key role in the US response to the outbreak — had been telling the president around this time that the media was exaggerating the threat posed by the virus.

Trump has repeatedly sought to blame the media for exaggerating the crisis, echoing what Kushner was reportedly telling him, and as recently as last week blamed the "fake news media" for seeking to "inflame the CoronaVirus [sic] situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant."

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the Times report.

Kushner has reportedly sought a more expansive role in efforts to combat the outbreak, despite lacking any expertise in the field and not talking to the top public health officials assigned to the anti-coronavirus task force led by Vice President Mike Pence.

And as the scale of the crisis has mounted, Kushner has taken on a more central role in the Trump administration's response, Politico reported.

Kushner was reportedly influential in Trump's decision last week to ban travel from several European countries to halt the spread of the illness, efforts to mobilize hospitals to increase testing, and ensure hospitals were better supplied.

He and Stephen Miller — a senior policy adviser — reportedly took the lead in writing the president's coronavirus speech to the nation last Wednesday, which was riddled with errors.Both Kushner and Miller have no public-health or medical expertise.

According to The Times, Kushner also played in a role in a Rose Garden speech last Friday, in which Trump claimed Google had designed a website to coordinate national coronavirus testing, when no such website existed.

"Mr. Trump has refused repeated warnings to rely on experts, or to neutralize some of the power held by his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, in favor of a traditional staff structure," the newspaper reported.

The Times report follows the revelation last week that Kurt Kloss, a doctor whose daughter Karlie Kloss is married to Kushner's brother, had crowd sourced responses to the coronavirus crisis on Facebook at Kushner's request.
                    _________

So, let's recap, shall we?

Here is trump's resume for the Nobel Prize in Blunders:
                    • Relied on slum lord son-in-law for medical advice
                    • Tries to buy exclusive rights to Germany's Coronavirus vaccine
                    • U.S. passengers returning from Europe were funneled through 13 airports where operations were clearly not set up to handle them efficiently.
                    • Claims people arriving from Europe are being tested... they are not being tested.
                    • Suspended all travel from Europe but with exemptions for 15 countries.
                    • imposed a ban on flights from China but did not include Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao.
                    • Incorrectly described the web site from Google that helps triage individuals for Covid-19 testing. And incorrectly described the scope and the number of engineers working on it.
                    • Falsely claimd that H1N1 test kits were done late. Those test kits were available before the first American death.
                    • Switched from saying the tests were good to blaming Obama for failures despite having three years to prepare.
                    • Continues to shake hands despite CDC guidelines.
                    • Claimed trade and cargo from Europe was not allowed, which was false
                    • Claimed health insurance companies had “agreed to waive all copayments for Coronavirus treatments”, also false
                    • He has expressed an astonishing lack of knowledge while at the same time claiming to be a medical savant.
                    • "I didn’t know people died from the flu.", despite his own grandfather dying from the Spanish flu
                    • Trump administration overruled health officials who wanted to recommend that elderly be advised not to fly
                    • Falsely claimed that anyone who needed a Coronavirus test “gets a test.” There is a shortage of test kits and you need a doctor's approval.
                    • The CDC has badly lagged in preparing a nationwide testing regime
                    • Cut the CDC budget by 13% in 2017, 20% in 2018 and another 10% in 2019. With the reduced manpower the CDC is less effective.
                    • Claimed a vaccine could be ready in “three to four months”, in reality, it will take up to 18 months.
                    • Tried substituting his uneducated “hunch” for the judgment of medical professionals that the mortality rate is under 1% (in reality, it is higher)
                    • Suggests it is okay to go to work while being sick
                    • Refused to accept a Coronavirus testing kit invented by the World Health Organization in Germany.
                    • U.S. embassy in Tokyo refused to test the staff that was exposed to Coronavirus
                    • fired everyone on the 'pandemic response team' and replaced them with nobody, in 2018.
                    • claims, with no proof, that the Coronavirus is going to end in two months
                    • Put a anti-science politician in charge of a medical problem
                    • Federal workers did not have the necessary protective gear or training when they were sent to help quarantined Americans who were evacuated from China
                    • claims poor preparation for virus is a hoax
                    • Pence went to GOP fundraiser instead of putting full force of the government against the virus.
                    • 2007-2015: 'My theory is that vaccines cause autism.'

Shit, did I miss anything?

And where are Trump's defenders anyway?
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Donald Trump Is Lying, Blatantly

During press questioning at the White House today, Donald Trump was asked whether his tone about the coronavirus threat had suddenly changed. For weeks, hed been mocking the virus threatat rallies, in tweets, and in press remarks. But both yesterday and today, hed suddenly shifted to warning that the public-health and economic problems were real, and would remain so for a long time.

What changed?

Trump denied there had been any shift in tone, and said (as you can see here):

I have always known. This is a real pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic....

Ive always viewed it as very serious.

This is a flat-out lie.

Setting the lead for many Republican politicians and for most coverage on Fox News, Trump had for many weeks pooh-poohed the idea that the virus should be taken seriously.
                      • He has said it was contained and under control (as McKay Coppins pointed out).
                      • He has said Its going to disappear and, We have very little problem in this country (as David Leonhardt pointed out).
                      • He said three weeks ago that the U.S. had 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, thats a pretty good job weve done. (as the White House briefing transcript shows).
                      • He has tweeted that The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation (as The Hill pointed out).

From growing awareness global of the disease in January, until his press conference yesterday, March 16, Trump had consistently minimized the medical and economic dangerlikening the virus to the seasonal flu, and saying that criticism of his administrations responses was a hoaxindeed, a continuation of the impeachment hoax by other means.

That Trump has shifted his tone so dramatically says something about the scale of the disease and its impacts. I hope it says something positive about the upcoming federal commitments to join the effort against it, so far led by governors and mayors.

But that he believes he can baldly zap away all memory of his words and deeds and reinvent himself as the man saving his country from pandemicanother Anthony Fauci, but with executive powersreveals something about Trumps mind and character, and something about his assessment of public life.

About his mind it suggests:
                      • He lives in the moment, and whatever he wants to be true at this instant, is true for him while hes saying it.
                      • About his assessment of others it indicates: He is betting he can get away with it. At some level he must know that half the press is weary of writing the 900th story pointing out his falsehoods. The other half is hungry for some way to show its balance, and to avoid using the plain word lie. And meanwhile the constituency Trump said would stay with him if he shot someone on Fifth Avenue may still be aboard.

An assessment on CNN just after the press conference indicated the kind of response Trump might be betting on. The estimable Dana Bash said of Trumps comments, He is being the kind of leader that people need, at least in tone, today and yesterday. Well see what the online stories tonight and the print headlines tomorrow morning say about Trumps shift.

Will today and yesterdaythe subdued tone yesterday, the I have always viewed it as very serious Orwellian big-lie todayenter public consciousness as the time when Trump got serious and became a leader? Or as the time when he finally went too far with a blatant lie?

As I write this, in real time, we cant be sure. I have my guess, which I hope proves wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                        Look at the first one --- SARS 2004 --- and tell me you didn't know this was totally fake.
                        SARS started in November 2002, and ended in July 2003.
                        Fair but how many people outside HK know that ?

I have faint memories of SARS, remember people wearing these masks in 2003.

Comment

• Vinegar is probably the most underrated condiment. I keep a whole bunch in the pantry. I probably should've stocked up, because I tend to use it a lot more when I have more time, but oh well. At least I have enough for corned beef and cabbage.

Politicians have different incentives. A lot of local officials have been hesitant to enact closures, because it's going to kill local economies and make it difficult for kids to get meals. Mayor Lightfoot has been kind of gingerly here in Chicago, and De Blasio got hammered pretty aggressively for his dilly-dallying. It's not just Nunes. And you can't really blame them, because this isn't a minor economic hit. We're looking at the wrong side of a Great Depression, and a lot of states and localities have limited fiscal capacity. I'm not really sure how IL and Chicago are going to come out of this financially, even if the US government has practically unlimited borrowing capacity at the moment.

FWIW, I am happy people are finally taking this seriously. Unfortunately, our factory produces consumer products that are in pretty high demand, so there's no let-up for me, and my wife works in a hospital, so no let-up for her, either. Baby unfortunately needs to keep going to day-care.

Dumbest thing I heard this week: co-worker came into the office yesterday. He was happy to report that he was coronavirus free, because he was drunk all weekend. According to studies, coronavirus can't infect drunk people. And....he was serious about it.
                          I...uhhh...shooed him out of my office.
                          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by Versus View Post
                            https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

I don't know about HIV drugs, but Quinine helps with malaria and you can find it at any store world wide and its called Schwepss.

Four days before quarantine was declared at my friend's firm I started to feel bad. Like I felt that something was attacking me. I knew from previous flues that quinine helps and that it is one of ingredients of the schweppes soda so I went and bought two 2 litre bottles that I drank that night. Tomorrow, all symptoms were gone for that day. But in the evening they re appeared again so I took another dose, but since I've was working late I had to eat something so I took beacon (raw) and some garlic and than took schweppes. Symptoms never returned after that. So I don't know, it won't kill you to try.

Four more days to go with isolation.
                            yes, this malaria fighting is how the gin & tonic was created

According to tradition, the bitter taste of anti-malarial quinine tonic led British colonials in India to mix it with gin, thus creating the gin and tonic cocktail, which is still popular today. Nowadays, the amount of quinine in tonic is much lower and drinking it against malaria is ineffective. In the US, quinine is listed as an ingredient in some Diet Snapple flavors, including Cranberry-Raspberry.
                            See bolded ; )

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                            Dumbest thing I heard this week: co-worker came into the office yesterday. He was happy to report that he was coronavirus free, because he was drunk all weekend. According to studies, coronavirus can't infect drunk people. And....he was serious about it.
                            Dumb when it comes to cornonavirus but there is a history to it.

Fighting water borne illness by having a drink after every meal is another example.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              Shit, did I miss anything?

And where are Trump's defenders anyway?
                              I've been wondering about that for a while now : )

He is trying not to become the most hated President in US history.

Two Mayors. One from St.Louis. The other from Philly.

Spanish flu is about to take over the US.

The Mayor in Philly wants his war bonds rally to take place. He does not listen to his medical staff. The equivalent of this today is the wife of the Spanish PM who is now infected, holding the biggest rally for International Women's day in Spain.

The result is Philly goes into meltdown with deaths piling up over a matter of a few weeks.

The Mayor in St. Louis was proactive, shut down bars, restaurants, theatres and insisted the public wear masks. He was vilified and became a much hated figure in his town.

When the number of deaths of the two cities was compared the difference wasn't significant.

The difference was in St.Louis those deaths came over a period of three months instead of five weeks.

Mayor of St.Louis flattened the curve.

The system could cope in St. Louis as you would imagine a lot better than Philly.

Saving lives. St. Louis could have gone worse than Philly otherwise.

Trump is in between these two. A little closer to what that mayor in St. Louis did.

There is no win here TH, for a pol.

See, all these lies you point out will be minor footnotes in this war.

Federal & state aren't where the problem is. The problem is at the local authority level. According to Hatfill.

Things they should have implemented years ago wasn't done. They're playing catch up.

That is what you rely on. That is where you are most affected.

Did your local authorities do their home work. Then you will make out better than those that did not.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Mar 20,, 02:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                                Vinegar is probably the most underrated condiment. I keep a whole bunch in the pantry. I probably should've stocked up, because I tend to use it a lot more when I have more time, but oh well. At least I have enough for corned beef and cabbage.

Politicians have different incentives. A lot of local officials have been hesitant to enact closures, because it's going to kill local economies and make it difficult for kids to get meals. Mayor Lightfoot has been kind of gingerly here in Chicago, and De Blasio got hammered pretty aggressively for his dilly-dallying. It's not just Nunes. And you can't really blame them, because this isn't a minor economic hit. We're looking at the wrong side of a Great Depression, and a lot of states and localities have limited fiscal capacity. I'm not really sure how IL and Chicago are going to come out of this financially, even if the US government has practically unlimited borrowing capacity at the moment.

FWIW, I am happy people are finally taking this seriously. Unfortunately, our factory produces consumer products that are in pretty high demand, so there's no let-up for me, and my wife works in a hospital, so no let-up for her, either. Baby unfortunately needs to keep going to day-care.

Do you know how much crap is out there? My wife showed me stuff on the internet where it was said bananas and coconuts can kill the virus. Another site said, without pause, that there was a human vaccine ready now. In many ways I can thank Trump for this since with the advent of his "fake news" comments people are believing the unfounded and disbelieving the known facts.

Whatever but the fact of the matter is that this won't be over in a few months. What really took down SARS was the fact that it killed 10% of it's hosts. At that level a virus will burn out. Covid is not that deadly and can therefore hang around longer and not burn out so to speak. So things quiet in the summer. What does that mean? it is gone? Not quite as it could simply be dormant for a period. It could have mutated to a less harmful strain or done the opposite and ready to re-awaken. Frankly everyone needs to get used to the fact that the world will probably see a major viral outbreak every three to four years now. Too many people, all switching to animal protein, and moving into areas where no humans had ventured before.

As with climate change when you mess around with Mother Nature she will bite you in the ass sooner or later and it maybe now be sooner most of the time. There are still hundreds of thousands of unknown viruses out there waiting to de discovered. We could be pro-active and set up the require research and global coordination to deal with this. However, Trump isn't interested in science for one. Trump isn't interested in global coordination but rather America First for two. Trump is only truly interested in the stock market as per his Sunday news conference where he lauded the Fed for lowering the rate, how great it would be, and then walked off before any viral response questions for three.

As the FDR once said the only thing to fear is fear itself. Well, if FDR were alive now, he would probably say the only thing to fear is Donald Trump.

Comment

Working...
                                X