COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
    My wife got vaccinated today in a wonderfully simple and logical process. Drive through Orange County (Orlando) Convention Center without getting out of the car, sit in the parking lot for 15 minutes to make sure of no immediate reactions, and off we go. Less than an hour, and the shot was administered by a fire fighter.
    No medical information sit-through, no questioning on contraindications, no signing off that you know what you're doing there ?

(they do that with a video here - German, English and Turkish subtitles - and a medical doctor - as legally required - then asking basically if you've understood that and collecting the signed forms)

Comment

• TH,
      TDS is absolutely a thing. That doesn't mean I think Trump is good. That means people get wacky when Trump gets involved.

AR,
      Vaccine shortages are everywhere, it's not a US only item. It doesn't matter how well you planned it out, whatever the feds might have promised you months ago or even weeks ago is not going to to happen, because there is a massive shortage.

That said I am totally willing to believe the feds dropped the ball somewhere. OWS says they shortened a 15 month planning window to a 3 month planning window. Stuff's going to get missed when you compress a timeline that much. It also means other groups need to assume more responsibility. I'm interested if someone has a detailed write-up on the specifics, but I haven't seen anything like that quite yet. I imagine that's going to be a memoir down the line.

In other news, there is also a South Africa variant that's getting some play now:

South Africa Covid strain: A guide to what you need to know (cnbc.com)
      A brief summary:
      1. It appears more infectious
      2. It does not appear to be deadlier, though that remains to be seen
      3. Changes in the spike protein mean existing vaccines may not be as effective (!)

Time Travelling Tour Guide: And here we are in 2020, the first year of COVID Lockdown!
      Bystandander: The what?
      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
        TH,
        TDS is absolutely a thing. That doesn't mean I think Trump is good. That means people get wacky when Trump gets involved.
        You're goddamn right people get wacky when Trump gets involved. His fucking cult has just stormed the United States Capitol Building and are tearing the place apart after Trump incited them.
        “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
        ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
          No medical information sit-through, no questioning on contraindications, no signing off that you know what you're doing there ?

(they do that with a video here - German, English and Turkish subtitles - and a medical doctor - as legally required - then asking basically if you've understood that and collecting the signed forms)
          The usual questions: have you been vaccinated; have you had COVID-19; have you had any symptoms. Since she signed up on-line and got the confirmation appointment, they (and she) knew why she was there.
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
            AR,
            Vaccine shortages are everywhere, it's not a US only item. It doesn't matter how well you planned it out, whatever the feds might have promised you months ago or even weeks ago is not going to to happen, because there is a massive shortage.

That said I am totally willing to believe the feds dropped the ball somewhere. OWS says they shortened a 15 month planning window to a 3 month planning window. Stuff's going to get missed when you compress a timeline that much. It also means other groups need to assume more responsibility. I'm interested if someone has a detailed write-up on the specifics, but I haven't seen anything like that quite yet. I imagine that's going to be a memoir down the line.
            GVC, I more than understand this. I am a professional logistician and have paid my mortgage for over 30 years for this. I fully understand there are shortages worldwide....but I am referring to the doses that are on hand at Pfizer & Moderna but they are waiting for instructions.

And I know OWS well...I used to brief LTG Gus Perna weekly when he was the Army G4 and monthly when he was GEN Perna and was AMC commander. His principal deputy, COL RJ Mikish is my old boss who got pulled to OWS by Gus Perna. OWS is going fine. They had an innovative program which had the government accept all of the risk that allowed industry to move forward.

It is the HHS staff that dropped the ball.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Jan-Nov exports of goods and services down 12.5%; imports were up 0.3%, leaving a trade deficit of $68.1 billion. Over the first 11 months of the year, exports were off 16.1%, and imports 10.5%.

ADD:
              Initial (new) unemployment claims averaged 1.45 million a week in 2020, up 565.2% over 2019. Continuing claims averaged 10.66 million. To put it in a different way that accounts for the change in the size of the labor force, 0.96% of the workforce filed for unemployment insurance benefits, 2.3 times the pre-2020 average of 0.29%, and 64.3% higher than the previous high.

Last edited by DOR; 07 Jan 21,, 23:04.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Employment (Percent Change p.a.)
                _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2010-19 _ _ 2020
                Total _ _ _ _ _ _ +1.2% _ _ _-6.2%
                Over 20 yrs _ _ _+1.2% _ _ _-6.1%
                16-19 yrs _ _ _ _ +0.6% _ _ -8.8%
                20-24 yrs _ _ _ _ +1.1% _ _ -11.8%
                25-54 yrs _ _ _ _ +0.6% _ _ -6.6%
                Over 55 _ _ _ _ _+3.2% _ _ -5.3%

Manufacturing Employment
                Total _ _ _ _ _ _ +0.8% _ _ _ -4.6%
                Production & Non-
                supervisory _ _ _+0.8% _ _ -5.5%
                Hours worked _ _+0.4% _ _-2.0%
                Trust me?
                I'm an economist!

Comment

• H.R. 133 calls for spending $1.64 trillion by end-September, including $184 billion for federal response to the coronavirus pandemic and assistance to nonfederal entities.

Defense: $696 billion + $113.1 billion for construction and VA

Business loans: $479 billion

Paycheck protection program continuation: $301.9 billion

Emergency pandemic response: $185.4 billion

Labor, HHS, Education: $177.5 billion

Direct payments to individuals: $163.5 billion

Transportation, HUD: $149 billion

Unemployment assistance: $119.2 billion

. . . and . . .

Low-income household rental assistance: $25 billion

Agricultural support payments: $12.7 billion

Broadband internet access service: $7 billion

CBO.GOV: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/56963

Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

Comment

• https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/polit...ump/index.html

Biden inheriting nonexistent coronavirus vaccine distribution plan and must start 'from scratch,' sources say

By MJ Lee, CNN

Updated 7:00 AM ET, Thu January 21, 2021

(CNN)Newly sworn in President Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration, sources tell CNN, posing a significant challenge for the new White House.

The Biden administration has promised to try to turn the Covid-19 pandemic around and drastically speed up the pace of vaccinating Americans against the virus. But in the immediate hours following Biden being sworn into office on Wednesday, sources with direct knowledge of the new administration's Covid-related work told CNN one of the biggest shocks that the Biden team had to digest during the transition period was what they saw as a complete lack of a vaccine distribution strategy under former President Donald Trump, even weeks after multiple vaccines were approved for use in the United States.
                      "There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said.
                      Another source described the moment that it became clear the Biden administration would have to essentially start from "square one" because there simply was no plan as: "Wow, just further affirmation of complete incompetence."

Biden's Covid team is nervous about what the Trump team hasn't told them
                      The incoming White House now faces intense pressure to make good on the promises that Biden made during the campaign and the transition phase to drastically turn things around on the pandemic and conduct himself entirely differently from Trump when it comes to the virus and vaccine distribution.
                      Prior to Inauguration Day, some of Biden's Covid-19 advisers had wanted to be careful not to be overly critical in public of the Trump administration's handling of the virus and vaccine, given that the Biden transition team was already having a hard time getting critical information and cooperation from the outgoing administration, the source said.
                      Now that the transition of power has taken place, the Biden administration is hoping that they can quickly start to get a clearer picture of where things actually stand with vaccine distribution and administration across the country, going through something of a "fact-checking" exercise on what exactly the Trump administration had and had not done, they added.
                      CNN has previously reported that the Biden team's most urgent concerns on Covid-19 include potential vaccine supply problems, coordination between federal and local governments, as well as funding, staffing and other resource needs for local governments. That is in addition to the emerging Covid variants, which the new White House -- in consultation with scientists and experts -- is watching warily.
                      Biden has made clear that slowing down the spread of Covid-19 and getting 100 million vaccine shots into Americans' arms in his first 100 days in office are of utmost priority -- goals that will shape whether Biden's first years in office are ultimately deemed successful.
                      Within hours of being sworn into office, Biden signed an executive order requiring masks on all federal property, a part of his campaign promise to push for a federal mask mandate during his first 100 days in office.
                      "This is going to be the first of many engagements we're going to have in here," Biden said in his first appearance in the Oval Office as president. "I thought with the state of the nation today there's no time to waste. Get to work immediately."
                      On Biden's first full day in office on Thursday, the White House is focusing on Covid-19 by rolling out a national strategy for getting the pandemic under control including numerous executive actions related to vaccination and testing.
                      Criticizing the "lack of cooperation" from the Trump administration as an "impediment" for the new administration, White House Covid coordinator Jeff Zients told reporters on Wednesday that he was still confident that the administration can meet its 100 million vaccine shots in 100 days target.
                      "For almost a year now, Americans could not look to the federal government for any strategy, let alone a comprehensive approach to respond to Covid," Zients said. "And we've seen the tragic costs of that failure. As President Biden steps into office today ... that'll change tomorrow."
                      __________________________________________________ _____________________

If you want to talk feckless.....this is feckless right here.

Almost a full year and no effing plan.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• that's not feckless, that's freaking outright criminal.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          that's not feckless, that's freaking outright criminal.
                          I guess I was feeling charitable.

New Administration, New Buck
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

I guess I was feeling charitable.

New Administration, New Buck
                            Well, if they want to develop a plan then just get some businesses that specialize in logistics to get their product around the country. The head of Starbucks volunteered his services for organization and shipping to the Governor of Washington. Even better there is Amazon which has this stuff down pat. Moving vaccine around and setting up locations is not the strong point, nor the best job, for the Federal Government. Provide seed money, yes, but logistics is either US military or American businesses that do logistics well as they have the proven skill.

Comment

• Can't be AMAZON or STARBUCKS. The vainces need refrigeration. You might get away with meat distributors but the temperature controls is a bitch and a half.
                              Chimo

Comment

• Easy answer...Defense Logistics Agency.

This literally is what they are set up to do around globe.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X