X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    More from the tool, aka Governor of Md.
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/larry-...l-mask-mandate

The man is both physically and intellectually unimpressive.
    From your hard right-wing link:

Republican Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said during a media briefing about the coronavirus that no one had the "constitutional right to walk around without a mask."

The dubious claim was made by Hogan while he announced further coronavirus pandemic restrictions on Monday.

"It's sort of like saying I have a constitutional right to drive drunk. I have a constitutional right to not wear a seat belt, or to yell fire in a crowded movie theater, or to not follow the speed limit," Hogan said.

"We're talking about a quarter of a million people dying already. You know, more than, you know, the Korean War, the Gulf War and the Vietnam War added together. Which part don't you understand?" he asked rhetorically.

"There's no constitutional right to walk around without a mask," Hogan added, "this is, we did it in 1918, I don't know why we can't do it now. Wear the mask."
    By your logic, people have the Constitutional right to ignore those stupid seatbelt laws, amirite?
    “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

I'm waiting for a point in time, around September to October, for Trump to say he saved lives. It goes like this. Trump on the stump says the experts predicted a high of 250,000 deaths, well we have had only 140,000 deaths, so I have saved the lives of 110,000 people so thank me.

Do you think I am far fetched?
      Hey TBM, remember this from May? You were half right: We're at 250,000 dead but Trump didn't say anything about how we should thank him. In fact, he hasn't said jack about COVID at all, other than taking credit for a still-unreleased vaccine.

It's almost like Donald Trump doesn't give a shit about American lives other than his own.
      “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
      ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• nah, Trump saw it coming: he said back in October that he saved OVER 2 MILLION lives!!

but thanks for going back to some of the posts here-- we have a veritable crystal ball in this thread.

170 global coronavirus deaths total as of thursday, not what you call an epidemic at any measure.

Smallpox (1900-2000) 300,000,000 deaths worldwide
        Plague (middle ages) 10,000,000 deaths
        Spanish Flu (1918) 70,000 deaths
        16k dead out of 280k flu cases in the US last year.

Does any one think this corona virus will kill as many in the US ? no

That is why Trump does not take this as seriously.
        Total toll for that flu epidemic for the US is 675k or more than all americans that died in all wars since WW1 which is around 620k odd.

The question is do you believe this virus will kill as many as the flu did in the US last year ?
        I believe that this coronavirus is a passing fad and not all that much to be concerned with. World nations are using this as an excuse to employ their politics and do things they otherwise wouldn't be able to do. A cover or mask. If I'm wrong then it ain't gonna matter because I'm not in a high risk group and my immune system is much stronger than your average hypochondriac.
        ===

by the way, here's what I wrote back in March when we were doing the sorta morbid comparisons between Spanish Flu and COVID-19.

^ correct; Italy suffered something like 275,000 deaths over 2 years of the Spanish Flu.

with COVID, Italy has suffered 6,820 and counting-- and it's been less than 2 months. this, with stringent quarantine measures and modern medicine!
        as of 11/24, Italy has now suffered 51,306 COVID deaths and counting -- and it's now been about 10 months. thankfully given the state of vaccine development, Italy -probably- won't hit 275K deaths by the time a vaccine is widely distributed, but considering the respective circumstances, COVID's given the Spanish Flu a pretty damn good run for the money.

that applies for the US too. the next few weeks are going to be UGLY in the US, because millions of morons are traveling for Thanksgiving regardless of what the CDC and basic commonsense dictate, but we shouldn't hit 675K deaths...I hope.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• "that applies for the US too. the next few weeks are going to be UGLY in the US, because millions of morons are traveling for Thanksgiving regardless of what the CDC and basic commonsense dictate, but we shouldn't hit 675K deaths...I hope."

Eric, I have heard numerous credible sources say this Thanksgiving Vacation is going to be followed by a Funeral Christmas.

What is frightening is just how full hospitals are now...and they are about to get slammed over the next 4-6 weeks.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Something for the next administration to be thankful for …

October real retail sales were up 4.4% (YoY), a hair below September's 4.5% and the fifth straight month of good news. Sales at restaurants and bars continued to drop by double-digit rates for the eighth consecutive period, down 14.2%, like the previous -14.3% datum.

And in a very welcome sign, imports rose year-on-year by 1.9%, the first increase after 15 straight months of contraction. Demand, it would seem, is back.

Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              "that applies for the US too. the next few weeks are going to be UGLY in the US, because millions of morons are traveling for Thanksgiving regardless of what the CDC and basic commonsense dictate, but we shouldn't hit 675K deaths...I hope."

Eric, I have heard numerous credible sources say this Thanksgiving Vacation is going to be followed by a Funeral Christmas.

What is frightening is just how full hospitals are now...and they are about to get slammed over the next 4-6 weeks.
              Basically all fools. Now this is how it happens in a situation I have first hand knowledge but is actually pretty common.

My wife was off four days from her work at a Post Acute facility. Some days before that one staff member broke protocol by meeting up with her brother who worked at another facility with positive cases. He was positive at that meeting and she became positive not soon after. During the 12th -15th she infected a co-worker who shared food with her along with a long term resident. By the following weekend they had a total of now eight infected residents on the 22nd. My wife gets tested every time she is there but was still very bothered by this as far as bringing it home to me and my patients indirectly. Admin asked if she would work in the red zone for higher pay which she refused. At the moment she sleeps in another bedroom which is not her preferred way to sleep.

Sort of like playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon only you are playing with a possibly deadly virus.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Basically all fools. Now this is how it happens in a situation I have first hand knowledge but is actually pretty common.

My wife was off four days from her work at a Post Acute facility. Some days before that one staff member broke protocol by meeting up with her brother who worked at another facility with positive cases. He was positive at that meeting and she became positive not soon after. During the 12th -15th she infected a co-worker who shared food with her along with a long term resident. By the following weekend they had a total of now eight infected residents on the 22nd. My wife gets tested every time she is there but was still very bothered by this as far as bringing it home to me and my patients indirectly. Admin asked if she would work in the red zone for higher pay which she refused. At the moment she sleeps in another bedroom which is not her preferred way to sleep.

Sort of like playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon only you are playing with a possibly deadly virus.
                Christ but that sucks.

I am SO glad my wife is out of the hospital and has been teaching at the nursing school for the last 2 years.

And I am betting the Supreme Court's decision last night to states have no right to govern the amount of folks who could worship in person will lead to a LOT more tragic Christmases for people.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Current hospital tally is three residents in the hospital and the wife of the original source, the brother, in the hospital in serious condition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Christ but that sucks.

I am SO glad my wife is out of the hospital and has been teaching at the nursing school for the last 2 years.

And I am betting the Supreme Court's decision last night to states have no right to govern the amount of folks who could worship in person will lead to a LOT more tragic Christmases for people.
                    Well Gorsuch is an idiot as is plain to see in his reasoning. He doesn't impress me just like Thomas.

Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote his own concurrence -- joined by no other justice -- to explain his vote.

He said that other businesses such as bicycle repair shops, did not have similar restrictions.

"So, at least according to the Governor, it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine" or "shop for a new bike," Gorsuch wrote.
                    Apparently a bike shop and a Sunday church mass are equivalent. Now I have been in many a bike shop but outside the maybe 2-3 employees I may have seen at most 3-4 customers but not the hundreds seen in a church. Another worthless analogy.

So, AR, you maybe very right about what this Christmas might bring for a lot of people. Well they can always pray that the plague passes over their door for as much good as that will do. In my religion there is no praying as things are what they are and what will happen will happen based only on your actions.

——————-

Christ but I hope I’m wrong but as of today we have 9 states where 1 out of 1000 residents have died of COVID.

It ain’t looking good for the home team.
                    Last edited by Albany Rifles; 28 Nov 20,, 00:13.

Comment

• Operation Warp Speed has begun prepositioning vaccine.
                      https://www.foxnews.com/health/pfize...vid-19-vaccine

Comment

Operation Warp Speed has begun prepositioning vaccine.
                        https://www.foxnews.com/health/pfize...vid-19-vaccine
                        Funny how your article doesn't mention the words "Warp Speed". Probably because Trump's distribution plan involved the military.

This was a German vaccine created by German scientists with German money and a private distribution program.
                        ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Funny how your article doesn't mention the words "Warp Speed". Probably because Trump's distribution plan involved the military.

This was a German vaccine created by German scientists with German money and a private distribution program.
                          It was under a Warp Speed contract..https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...am/ar-BB1aUsfE

Comment

It was under a Warp Speed contract..https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...am/ar-BB1aUsfE
                            .... but only according to the Trump Administration, a group known for having only a nodding acquaintance with reality.

"....the company clarified that it is involved in Operation Warp Speed as a supplier, but did not receive government funding. A spokesperson for Pfizer said on Monday in a statement seen by Newsweek they did not accept money for research and development from the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, which is an office of the Department of Health and Human Services."

Keep drinking that cult Kool-aid.
                            ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Originally posted by JRT

Well... Thats some good news.
                              Key is that the first group will be critical health personnel and those over 65 with co-morbidities. After that the next group is over 65 without other health issues.

Of course the one thing not many are paying attention is that you need qualified people to administer the injections which is usually nurses. Only right now most nurses are busy with other things and your typical doctor's office will not have the capability to store the vaccine.I'm with Kaiser which would handle this directly for me.

Comment

• Some Johns Hopkins Kool Aid, for your consideration.
                                https://web.archive.org/web/20201126...ue-to-covid-19

Comment

Working...
                                X