Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
    I'm confused.
    How does a pro-Trumpet, anti-vaxxer deal with all this?
    It will be everybody on the vaccine since he thinks the White House can now approved the studies, approve whether side effects should be considered, can overrule the doctors, researchers, and FDA.

Comment

• Personal Income, by State
      Bureau of Economic Analysis (bea.gov)

The 2020 Q2 estimates of state personal income were impacted by the response to the spread of COVID-19, as governments issued and lifted "stay-at-home" orders, and government pandemic assistance payments were distributed to households and businesses. The full economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic cannot be quantified in the state personal income estimates because the impacts are generally embedded in source data and cannot be separately identified.

Earnings. For the nation, earnings decreased 27.5 percent in the second quarter of 2020, after increasing 3.4 percent in the first quarter (table 2). The declines were moderated by Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans to proprietors. The decrease in earnings reflected the partial economic shutdown following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in the first quarter of 2020.

Earnings decreased in 20 of the 24 industries for which BEA prepares quarterly estimates (table 4). Accommodations and food services, and healthcare and social assistance were the leading contributors to the overall earnings decrease. The percent change in earnings across all states ranged from -14.0 percent in Utah to -38.1 percent in Nevada.

Selected highs and lows (April-Dec 2019 provides a base)
      State _ Q2 '19-Q4 '19 _ Q1 '20 _ Q2 '20
      Mass _ _ _ _ 1.1% _ _ _ _ _4.9% _ _ 76.3%
      WVir _ _ _ _-0.4% _ _ _ _ 4.5% _ _ 69.9%
      Haw _ _ _ _ 2.5% _ _ _ _ _1.4% _ _ 67.4%
      NJer _ _ _ _ 2.5% _ _ _ _ _5.4% _ _ 63.0%
      RhI _ _ _ _ 1.8% _ _ _ _ _5.3% _ _ _62.5%
      Vmt _ _ _ _ 1.1% _ _ _ _ _4.9% _ _ 57.0%
      Mich _ _ _ _2.7% _ _ _ _ 0.5% _ _ 54.1%
      Mont _ _ _ _4.2% _ _ _ _ 2.2% _ _ 51.6%
      Iowa _ _ _ _ 2.4% _ _ _ _ 5.3% _ _ 50.1%

USA _ _ _ _ 2.9% _ _ _ _ 4.1% _ _ 34.2%

D.C. _ _ _ _ 2.4% _ _ _ _ 5.9% _ _ 15.3%
      Tenn _ _ _ _ 2.7% _ _ _ _ 5.0% _ _ 15.8%
      Conn _ _ _ _ 0.9% _ _ _ _ 2.4% _ _ 18.3%
      NHam _ _ _ 0.8% _ _ _ _ 7.1% _ _ 21.3%
      NCar _ _ _ _ 3.2% _ _ _ _ 6.2% _ _ 21.5%
      NY _ _ _ _ _3.0% _ _ _ _ 3.5% _ _ 21.8%
      Mland_ _ _ _2.4% _ _ _ _ 4.9% _ _ 22.2%
      Nebr _ _ _ _ 3.8% _ _ _ _ 4.6% _ _ 23.8%

Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

• 'You are not listening': Fauci tells Rand Paul that he is 'alone' in vouching for herd immunity over coronavirus lockdowns

Dr. Anthony Fauci rejected Republican Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul's claims during a tense exchange at Wednesday's coronavirus-response hearing on Capitol Hill.

Paul said the COVID-19 death toll in the US — now more than 200,000 as the nation continues to lead the world in both cases and fatalities — would be the same if no shutdown measures were ever enforced by state leaders.

He added that New York has had a low infection rate since its peak because New York City reached herd immunity, which occurs when enough of a population is immune to a disease that its transmission wanes.

"How can we possibly be jumping up and down and saying, 'Oh, Gov. Cuomo did a great job.' He had the worst death rate in the world," Paul said.

"No, you misconstrued that, senator," Fauci replied. "And you've done that repetitively in the past."

Fauci said that while New York "got hit very badly" and "made some mistakes," the Empire State subsequently implemented mandatory mask-wearing and other measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus, which have been met with high compliance among the public.

In addition, Fauci said the state's test rate has dropped to below 1% because officials took steps to regulate social distancing and move gatherings outdoors.

Paul countered again with his claim of "community immunity," adding that "they're no longer having the pandemic because they have enough immunity in New York City."

Fauci rejected that idea.

"You are not listening to what the director of the CDC said, that in New York, it's about 22%. If you believe 22% is herd immunity, I believe you're alone in that," he said, referring to how many people have been infected with the virus in the state
        ________

Imagine having politicians that actually listened to scientists and doctors. Of course, that would be the end of the Republican Party.
        Keep your Proud Boys, goon squads, and uncertified ‘poll watchers’ out of our city, Mr. President. Break the law here, and I’ve got something for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          'You are not listening': Fauci tells Rand Paul that he is 'alone' in vouching for herd immunity over coronavirus lockdowns

Dr. Anthony Fauci rejected Republican Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul's claims during a tense exchange at Wednesday's coronavirus-response hearing on Capitol Hill.

Paul said the COVID-19 death toll in the US — now more than 200,000 as the nation continues to lead the world in both cases and fatalities — would be the same if no shutdown measures were ever enforced by state leaders.

He added that New York has had a low infection rate since its peak because New York City reached herd immunity, which occurs when enough of a population is immune to a disease that its transmission wanes.

"How can we possibly be jumping up and down and saying, 'Oh, Gov. Cuomo did a great job.' He had the worst death rate in the world," Paul said.

"No, you misconstrued that, senator," Fauci replied. "And you've done that repetitively in the past."

Fauci said that while New York "got hit very badly" and "made some mistakes," the Empire State subsequently implemented mandatory mask-wearing and other measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus, which have been met with high compliance among the public.

In addition, Fauci said the state's test rate has dropped to below 1% because officials took steps to regulate social distancing and move gatherings outdoors.

Paul countered again with his claim of "community immunity," adding that "they're no longer having the pandemic because they have enough immunity in New York City."

Fauci rejected that idea.

"You are not listening to what the director of the CDC said, that in New York, it's about 22%. If you believe 22% is herd immunity, I believe you're alone in that," he said, referring to how many people have been infected with the virus in the state
          ________

Imagine having politicians that actually listened to scientists and doctors. Of course, that would be the end of the Republican Party.

What is further exasperating is he is an MD...a practicing Ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists have to have a full MD license in order to practice.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

What is further exasperating is he is an MD...a practicing Ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists have to have a full MD license in order to practice.
            I have known some Ophthalmologists through my practicing career and I can tell you personally that is one group prone to scamming and just plain nut cases. I could actually name some in the greater Bay Area but I won't for obvious reasons.

Comment

A friend of mine works at a hospital and one of the RN's is both a Trump follower and COVID hoaxer (same thing really). She wears her PPE because it's required by the hospital but she grumbles (fairly quietly) about it and believes the whole thing is grossly exaggerated and mostly a Democratic hoax.
              Keep your Proud Boys, goon squads, and uncertified ‘poll watchers’ out of our city, Mr. President. Break the law here, and I’ve got something for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

A friend of mine works at a hospital and one of the RN's is both a Trump follower and COVID hoaxer (same thing really). She wears her PPE because it's required by the hospital but she grumbles (fairly quietly) about it and believes the whole thing is grossly exaggerated and mostly a Democratic hoax.
                There is a special corner of hell.....
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

There is a special corner of hell.....
                  Just spent half the day in Lake County, Florida.
                  I expect there will be a very large under count in that area, for the simple reason that one in three people are wearing masks in stores...
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

• Musk just might be the long lost nephew of Trump. Still questioning Covid-19 and that he is at no risk whatsoever and that if YOU are at risk you should be quarantined. Yet if you die well "everybody dies" according to Musk but "the question is what, on balance, serves the greater good?"

(CNN Business)Elon Musk is once again publicly downplaying the risks of Covid-19.

In a wide-ranging interview with the journalist Kara Swisher, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO said he would not take a Covid-19 vaccine when one becomes available, and declined to say whether he feels a duty to pay employees who want to stay home to avoid contracting the virus.

"I'm not at risk for Covid, nor are my kids," said Musk during Monday's episode of the New York Times podcast "Sway."

Musk has long cultivated a public persona of an eccentric entrepreneur who knows better than the experts and isn't afraid to offer controversial opinions.
                    On the podcast, Musk argued that instead of sweeping stay-at-home orders to mitigate the spread of coronavirus, "anyone who is at risk should be quarantined until the storm passes."

When Swisher confronted Musk with the possibility that people would still die in the process, he replied bluntly: "Everybody dies."

"The question is what, on balance, serves the greater good," Musk continued, adding that the lockdowns did not accomplish that and the pandemic is a "no-win situation."

Musk, the third-richest person in the world according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, tweeted in April that nationwide stay-at-home orders amounted to "de facto house arrest."

If one of his workers told him that coming to work would put their family at risk, Musk said he would simply tell them to "stay home."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/busin...ine/index.html
                    You know I am starting to get a little annoyed by this guy.

Comment

• Q-2 revisions
                      The second quarter was every so slightly less awful than previously reported, contracting 9% from a year earlier, rather than the early estimate of -9.1%. Capital investment was four-tenths worse (-46.6%), while private consumption expenditure fell by just under one-third (33.2%), rather than -34.1%. The latter two figures are QQ annualized.

Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Musk is a smart guy, but he's sort of like one of those autistic geniuses, so single-track minded that they ignore everything else around them.

plus, he's an ego-maniac.

oh well, better here than in politics.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Study shows hydroxychloroquine did not prevent coronavirus in health care workers

A new study has found that hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug that President Trump said he took to ward off the coronavirus, did not prevent COVID-19 among health care workers.

The study, published Wednesday in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, was conducted at two urban hospitals between April 9 and July 13 among 132 full-time health care workers exposed to the virus. However, the trial was ended early.

Some participants were given 600 mg daily doses of hydroxychloroquine, while others were given a placebo for eight weeks.

"There was no significant difference in infection rates in participants randomized to receive hydroxychloroquine compared with placebo," the researchers from the University of Pennsylvania wrote.

Four of the 64 health care workers who were randomly given hydroxychloroquine ended up testing positive for COVID-19 and four of the 61 health care workers who were given a placebo tested positive.

Among those eight participants who tested positive, six developed viral symptoms. None required hospitalization and they all clinically recovered from the illness, according to the study.

“As such, we cannot recommend the routine use of hydroxychloroquine among [health care workers] to prevent COVID-19,” researchers concluded.

The findings of the newly released study appear similar to what was reported in a June study in the New England Journal of Medicine, which found that hydroxychloroquine did not prevent illness when used within four days of being exposed.

In July, The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) withdrew the emergency use authorization for both chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine due to serious safety issues.

Doctors have warned that the drugs can cause serious heart problems, but the FDA had previously allowed their use for hospitalized patients and during clinical trials.

Trump repeatedly promoted the drug as a potential miracle treatment for the virus. He said in May that he had been taking hydroxychloroquine, in combination with zinc, as a way to prevent getting COVID-19.

Trump's promotion of the drug has led to shortages for people that need it for other conditions. Hydroxychloroquine, which was initially approved as an anti-malaria drug, is also used to treat lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
                          _________

Meanwhile, Trump's batshit crazy favorite physician thinks that "Whoever told the president to stop taking (hydroxychloroquine) should be punched in the face"

Remember the lunatic that Trump was "very impressed with"? The one that claims that demons cause cysts, infertility, and impotence by sexually molesting people in their sleep?

Yeah, same one.

Comment

• White House staff frustrated by lack of info

President Trump's aides aren't answering basic questions about "who knew what when" about his coronavirus diagnosis — and a lot of those questions are coming from inside the house.

Why it matters: Some current and former White House officials have been privately complaining about the reckless attitude internally toward social distancing and mask wearing, feeling they are being put at risk unnecessarily every day when they show up to work.

The White House has still not adequately explained why Trump went to a donor event in New Jersey on Thursday after learning that one of his closest aides contracted the virus.

Even some top West Wing aides were left in the dark about the chain of events that started with Hope Hicks feeling symptoms and isolating on Air Force One on Wednesday, and culminated with the president's 1 a.m. tweet that he had tested positive.
                            • "There have been plenty of rumors, but a complete lack of information from the top," a senior administration official said.
                            • "No one can trust what they're hearing, because even what is being said publicly doesn't seem to add up."

Pressed on the timeline that led up to a Trump trip to New Jersey for fundraisers on Thursday, White House chief of staff Mark Meadows — not wearing a mask — told reporters in the White House driveway:
                            • "I'm not going to get into the ticktock," Meadows said. "I can tell you, in terms of Hope Hicks, we discovered that right as the Marine One was taking off yesterday."
                            • "We actually pulled some of the people that had been traveling and in close contact. ... [W]e had already started the contact tracing."

Asked when President Trump knew about Hicks' diagnosis, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told Fox News' Harris Faulkner: "I don’t know the answer to that. I’m not going to get into an exact timeline."
                            • As to the decision-making after Hicks quarantined on the plane on Wednesday night, McEnany said: "[I]mmediately when she got a positive result ... there was contact tracing that was put into place."

Officials tell Axios that when McEnany briefed reporters from the podium on Thursday, she was unaware that Hicks had the coronavirus.

A White House official tells Axios that only a small circle of officials were informed of Hicks' diagnosis immediately: "[I]t has been our practice throughout this when it comes to the personal health information of staffers, non principals, we don't share or confirm those details."
                            • That circle didn't include several of the administration officials who traveled with the president on Wednesday or Thursday — a decision that frustrated many in the White House.

This was completely inevitable, given the systematic flouting of simple science-based precautions. The only question is why it took so long for Trump and his inner circle to contract COVID

Edit: Kellyanne Conway has contracted COVID. According to her daughter Claudia, she initially lied about not having it, and spent a whole day around her knowing she was COVID-positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              Musk is a smart guy, but he's sort of like one of those autistic geniuses, so single-track minded that they ignore everything else around them.

plus, he's an ego-maniac.

oh well, better here than in politics.
                              Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              Musk just might be the long lost nephew of Trump. Still questioning Covid-19 and that he is at no risk whatsoever and that if YOU are at risk you should be quarantined. Yet if you die well "everybody dies" according to Musk but "the question is what, on balance, serves the greater good?"

You know I am starting to get a little annoyed by this guy.
                              I am a big fan of musk but he has been bizarrely off on covid. Its not a question of differing values or complex risk assessment which are at play here with Musk. You can reasonably make the arguement that lockdowns are not worth the freedom sacrifice (values) or they cause more long term damage to the economy that will kill more through second order effects (complexity)(I strongly argue both are false but you can reasonably make the case) but he has posted tweets such as https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...144960?lang=en

Some of his comments have been decoupled from a reasonable scientific perspective.

Comment

• US Workers in Q-3, 2020

In the third quarter of 2020, the American labor force was 2.1% smaller than in July-September 2019, and employment was 7.4% lower. The unemployment rate was 8.9%, vs. 3.6% in the same quarter a year earlier. New unemployment claims were more than four times higher, and continuing claims were up nearly 8-fold. The U-6 measurement of unemployment, which includes those who are discouraged from working, more than doubled, to 14.5%

In manufacturing, employment was down 5.4% and the average number of hours worked per week off by 1.4%. That reduced the total number of hours devoted to manufacturing in the economy by 6.8%. Real pay rose 0.1% (inflation was +1.1% in Q-3).

In the third quarter, the population over the age of 20 rose by 1,126,000, while the labor force fell by 1,635,000 and employment dropped by more than 11 million.

Wages and salaries paid to workers across the economy, and as measured in the national accounts through August, were 0.8% lower than in January-August 2019. Employer contributions to employee pensions and insurance fell 1.7%. Government social benefits to individuals rose 44.5%, and unemployment benefits by 2,306.6%. Personal tax payments – which includes money not paid because of deferments – fell 1%, and contributed to the +7.2% rise in disposable income per capita and 146.2% rise in personal savings. Household spending on goods rose 1.3% in January-August, while services spending dropped 5.7%.
                                Retail sales were down 1.8% through August.

Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X