This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aides try to save Trump from himself

Some of President Trump's advisers are trying to convince him that if he vetoes a defense reauthorization bill that could pass Friday, his fellow Republicans won't sustain it and he'll risk losing credibility with the troops, sources with direct knowledge of the conversations tell Axios.

Behind the scenes: In private conversations, Trump seems to believe Republicans would ultimately bend to his will and support a veto. He argues the bill needs a provision repealing protections for social media companies, but several confidants have tried to persuade him his fellow Republicans don't agree.

One argument made to the president: You have a legacy of rebuilding the military by increasing its budgets. Don't be remembered for trying — and embarrassingly failing — to veto your last big defense bill, the sources said.
    • Another message: While you're trying to hold Republicans together for your election challenges, is it really a good idea to poke them in the eye?

The fallout: The arguments don't seem to be working. On Thursday, Trump poked Senate Armed Services Committee Chair Jim Inhofe by announcing a foreign policy decision related to Morocco that Inhofe had made very clear he opposed, and was personal to him.
    _________

When in doubt, if you're not Ivanka Trump, always remember Rule #1 about dealing with Donald Trump:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ejlj_j-XgAg-LAy.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1569687
    Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

• A Missouri judge has booted a Soros backed prosecutor and her entire office off the case of the armed couple that defended their home, for being political critters.
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/hotair....iticizing/amp/

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
        A Missouri judge has booted a Soros backed prosecutor and her entire office off the case of the armed couple that defended their home, for being political critters.
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/hotair....iticizing/amp/
        Your own right-wing blog link says nothing about "Soros". You want to continue with this conspiracy theorist bullshit, do it elsewhere.
        Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

• Senate overwhelmingly advances defense bill that will rename Confederate bases, squashing Trump's chances of a veto

The GOP-held Senate is handing President Trump a defeat that's not going to go over well with his base.

The Senate voted 84-13 on Friday to defeat a filibuster holding up passage of the $741 billion defense bill, which includes a provision that mandates removing Confederate names from military bases. A Senate vote later Friday to officially pass the bill will be similarly overwhelming, CNN's Manu Raju reports, invalidating President Trump's promise to veto it.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) had filibustered the National Defense Authorization Act, passed every year to fund the Pentagon, over provisions that would make it harder for Trump to reduce troops in Afghanistan and Germany, Military Times reports. He also clotheslined a stopgap funding measure meant to prevent a government shutdown for another week as Congress continues to debate coronavirus relief and a government funding bill. The House has already overwhelmingly passed both the stopgap measure and the defense bill.

Trump has been pledging for months that he'd reject the defense bill if it included a provision to rename military bases named after Confederate leaders. Discussions over renaming the bases swelled over the summer during protests against police brutality and America's systemic racism. Trump has insisted that the Confederate names actually represent America's "history of winning, victory, and freedom," despite basic facts about the Civil War that would suggest otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Your own right-wing blog link says nothing about "Soros". You want to continue with this conspiracy theorist bullshit, do it elsewhere.
            This article does Tops, open your mind....
            https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ters-from-jail

Comment

This article does Tops, open your mind....
              https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ters-from-jail
              Another shitty right-wing website? That's what you want me to "open my mind to"? And Soros as the bogeyman....should I start posting crap about the Rothschilds while I'm at it?

I'm not going to say it again: Post your bullshit dog whistles elsewhere.

Comment

• She is linked to Soros the new DA in LA is linked to Soros. Live in denial of you wish.
                https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...523-story.html

Last edited by surfgun; 11 Dec 20,, 21:24.

Comment

She is linked to Soros the new DA in LA is linked to Soros. Live in denial of you wish.
                  https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...523-story.html
                  I don't give a shit about the fact that she's linked to Soros and you damn well know it. Post more bullshit conspiracy theorist dog whistles and you are GONE.

Comment

• Contribute into attributions much? I have no idea what is going on in that kind of yours Tops? I am talking about the evils of an attempted central globalist government the wishes to undermine the USA and its founding ideals.
                    But that goes over one’s head and it becomes something else?

Comment

Contribute into attributions much? I have no idea what is going on in that kind of yours Tops? I am talking about the evils of an attempted central globalist government the wishes to undermine the USA and its founding ideals.
                      You're spreading conspiracy theorist bullshit. Spread it somewhere else.

Comment

• GOP-controlled Senate defies Trump and easily passes $741 billion defense bill despite the president's veto threat

The Republican-controlled Senate on Friday passed the National Defense Authorization Act, a $741 billion defense bill, with a veto-proof majority. GOP senators overwhelmingly supported the legislation despite President Donald Trump's threats to veto it.

"This annual bill will unlock the training, tools, and cutting-edge equipment that our servicemembers and civilian employees need as they bravely defend American lives and American interests," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a tweet after the vote.

The Senate voted 84-13 to approve the bill, which provides appropriations to the Defense Department and defense-related activities in other federal agencies. The Democratic-controlled House also passed the bill with a veto-proof majority.

Friday's Senate vote could set up a showdown between Trump and Congress in the final days of his presidency. If he makes good on his threat, it appears the bill has enough support in both chambers to override a veto, in what would be a first for Trump.

Trump has objected to a provision in the bill that opens the door to rename military bases commemorating Confederate leaders. More recently, the president has demanded that the bill repeal Section 230, a part of the Communications Decency Act that protects social-media companies from being held liable for content posted on their platforms. Trump has accused social-media companies like Twitter and Facebook of being biased against conservatives.

But Section 230 has nothing to do with national defense, and Republicans have been urging Trump to support the defense bill. The NDAA has passed in Congress without much opposition for 60 consecutive years.

Ahead of the House vote on the bill earlier this week, Trump tweeted: "I hope House Republicans will vote against the very weak National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which I will VETO. Must include a termination of Section 230 (for National Security purposes), preserve our National Monuments, & allow for 5G & troop reductions in foreign lands!"

It's unclear whether Trump will follow through and veto the bill, given the overwhelming support for it in Congress. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Insider.

Trump has issued eight vetoes during his presidency, and none has been overridden.
                        ________

Three possibilities:

1. Trump meekly signs the bill
                        2. Trump vetoes and the GOP overrides him
                        3. Trump vetoes and the GOP once again surrenders

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen, place your bets...

Comment

Another shitty right-wing website? That's what you want me to "open my mind to"? And Soros as the bogeyman....should I start posting crap about the Rothschilds while I'm at it?
                          Republicans don't seem to much like recycling when it is for the benefit of the environment, but have no issue recycling old fashioned anti-semitism when Jews dare to disagree with them.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Contribute into attributions much? I have no idea what is going on in that kind of yours Tops? I am talking about the evils of an attempted central globalist government the wishes to undermine the USA and its founding ideals.
                            central
                            globalist.
                            government.

that is all
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

Ahead of the House vote on the bill earlier this week, Trump tweeted: "I hope House Republicans will vote against the very weak National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which I will VETO. Must include a termination of Section 230 (for National Security purposes), preserve our National Monuments, & allow for 5G & troop reductions in foreign lands!"
                              ________

Three possibilities:

1. Trump meekly signs the bill
                              2. Trump vetoes and the GOP overrides him
                              3. Trump vetoes and the GOP once again surrenders

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen, place your bets...
                              It will be a number two with a splash. Trump will veto the bill, and there will be adequate bipartisan support in both houses to support overriding that veto.

Trump said that he will veto the bill if it did not include X, and the bill does not include X.

Trump's decision to follow through on the veto has nothing to do with X, rather it has to do with continued support of the Red-Hatted Mob and more donations into his slush fund.

It is not a small amount of Trump's future money at stake. Trump's slush fund received $207.5 million in donations a 30 days interval after the election.

Trump will get more support from the Red-Hatted Mob if he follows through on the veto threat, and less if he does not. So Trump will veto the bill.

Congress does not much care about advancing donations into Trump's slush fund, rather they have their own individual seats to save, and that is the highest priority of each individual above all other considerations. For most of them, passing the NDAA is the better political decision. Some Republican "fiscal conservatives" want less spending in everything, and some "progessive" Democrats want to spend the money on something else, and some individuals from both factions will take opportunity to make a show of that for their political base.

As groups, both parties in both houses passed the NDAA with numbers indicating a veto-proof majority; and when it is vetoed, both parties in both houses will follow through with the veto override.
                              Last edited by JRT; 12 Dec 20,, 14:31.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRT View Post

It will be a number two with a splash. Trump will veto the bill, and there will be adequate bipartisan support in both houses to support overriding that veto.
                                It's one thing to pass the bill, it'll be another thing in entirely for a sufficient number of Republicans to so dramatically and publicly defy the will of their cult leader.

If they do, it would be pretty extraordinary, not to mention endlessly entertaining. It would also show that Trump's grip on the party might last too far past January 20th. His grip on the cult however...

I forgot Option #4: Trump sits on the bill and does nothing for 10 days, at which point it becomes law regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X