No announcement yet.

The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Hampshire Union Leader just endorsed Biden. Like, Wow. I have never seen them do that ever for a Democrat.

New York (CNN Business)The New Hampshire Union Leader, a conservative-leaning newspaper, has endorsed Democratic candidate Joe Biden for president, despite its century-long history of backing Republicans. In backing Biden, the newspaper endorsed its first Democratic candidate in over 100 years.

"Building this country up sits squarely within the skill set of Joseph Biden. We have found Mr. Biden to be a caring, compassionate and professional public servant," the Union Leader editorial board wrote on Sunday. "He has repeatedly expressed his desire to be a president for all of America, and we take him at his word."

The paper's editorial board did however highlight what it calls "significant" policy disagreements with Biden, which the board says it expects to spend a "portion of the next four years disagreeing with."

"Joe Biden may not be the president we want, but in 2020 he is the president we desperately need," the editorial continued. "He will be a president to bring people together and right the ship of state." read more...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/25/media...den/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post

Same reasons my mother voted GOPer in 17 f her 18 presidential elections: habit and family tradition. This year, she has proudly (and, already) voted Democratic for one overwhelming reason: The Trumpet. As she says, “I didn’t leave the Republican Party; it left me.”
      You didn't address the point

Both you and AR said trade war is affecting farmers.

They would not be voting for Trump and overwhelmingly so in that case now would they.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Didn't miss it....knew it was a real possibility. Hence SEC Clinton & SEN Kaine made so many visits as had been pointed out. Anyone who knew PA was seeing a trending red for some time...the legislature flipped a decade ago.

So, no, not a surprise for the very reasons I just gave. And Erie has been one of the most rock ribbed conservative, hard red parts of PA for decades.
        He could take PA again, given how Biden is on the defensive on fracking and PA is a fracking state.

Repeatedly Biden has to clarify he won't come after the frackers.

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        So what are the empirical data you have that shows California swinging the same way?
        Same way implies CA going red. If CA is going red, Trump wins all 50 hands down.

I'm not saying that.

What the commentator said is don't be surprised if he scores higher than expected in CA.

Purple not red

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Point being made is if the trade war was hurting farmers they would not be supporting Trump ?
          $21 Billion in tax cash payments helps
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            The New Hampshire Union Leader just endorsed Biden. Like, Wow. I have never seen them do that ever for a Democrat.
            Hasn't happened in 100 years....I think WIlson was the last one they endorsed.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• DE,
              I very, very specifically answered your comment about farmers' voting.
              You seem to be stuck on the notion that there is, and must be, only one reason why someone votes the way they do.
              That is not the case.
              Recognize that simple fact, and move on.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                He could take PA again, given how Biden is on the defensive on fracking and PA is a fracking state.

Repeatedly Biden has to clarify he won't come after the frackers.

Same way implies CA going red. If CA is going red, Trump wins all 50 hands down.

I'm not saying that.

What the commentator said is don't be surprised if he scores higher than expected in CA.

Purple not red
                Well let's look at what the power lobbyist group in PA says about Biden's plan and fracking...

https://electrek.co/2020/08/11/where...nds-on-energy/

Bottomline is more jobs in PA are tied to renewable energy than to fracking. 3/4s of the states population lived in urban areas of suburbia and not the country.

Biden is for transition away from carbon based, not a hard stop.

As for farmers....depends on where and what type. So much of the pain felt by the trade war has been buffered not by new markets but by cash payments to offset their losses. Yet Biden has a narrow lead in Iowa as of the end of last week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/u...den-trump.html

I am not saying anything is a lock....or that Trump cannot be reelected...but I do see it as unlikely.

But I think you are misreading much of what some of the impacts of the underlying issues are all about here.
                Mark Twain

Comment

• DE,

Purple not red
                  if Trump loses by 28 points instead of 30 points, I'm really not sure this counts as "purple".

but, regardless, I don't think that will be the case. most likely scenario is that Trump loses CA by an even larger margin than he did in '16.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    DE,

if Trump loses by 28 points instead of 30 points, I'm really not sure this counts as "purple".

but, regardless, I don't think that will be the case. most likely scenario is that Trump loses CA by an even larger margin than he did in '16.
                    His commentator (ie: whisperer) must be along similar lines as the one surfgun listens to. What else could it be?

Comment

• Carl Bernstein Says GOP Senators Weighing Action If Trump Won't Step Down
                      Watergate journalist Carl Bernstein said Sunday that a handful of Republican senators are beginning to discuss what they’ll do President Donald Trump refuses to leave office if he’s defeated in the election.

Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses, and has repeatedly tried to undermine the integrity of the electoral process by claiming the only way he can lose is if the vote is rigged.

As many as 10 GOP senators are “talking with each other about how to restrain what they regard as an out-of-control” president who is “determined to do anything to hold on to office regardless of its legality.” Bernstein told CNN’s Ana Cabrera without naming anyone involved.

They are “terribly, terribly concerned about what they regard as the president’s unconstitutional and unthinkable acts to undermine the electoral process,” Bernstein added, calling Trump’s aggressive grip on power a “scorched earth” strategy.

“I think he’s been very strenuous about telling people around him that he intends to use every tool at his command to see that there is no way that the Democrats and Joe Biden can win this election,” Bernstein said. “The only way would be a landslide that would be...undeniable.”

He is “setting up an apparatus and a methodology in which he intends to prolong the count, to make it impossible, perhaps, for the Electoral College, when it’s supposed to meet, to reach a majority. That’s part of his strategy,” Bernstein added.

Former national security adviser John Bolton told Jake Tapper on CNN last week that Republicans will have to act to eject the president if he refuses to leave the White House.

“I think it’s very troubling [that Trump] has said, ‘I can’t lose unless there’s fraud,’” Bolton said. “Of course he can lose in an honest election.”

Bolton warned: “Let’s be clear: Trump will not leave graciously if he loses. Whether he carries it to the extreme, I don’t think we know.”

Republicans, Tapper noted, haven’t exactly been “profiles in courage” in response to Trump’s outrageous conduct.

A clear cut landslide on November 3rd is the only way that this won't turn into an utter shit show.

Sure would be nice if these "terribly concerned" Republicans had acted months or years ago to curb Trump's illegality.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        [SIZE=16px]______________

A clear cut landslide on November 3rd is the only way that this won't turn into an utter shit show.

Sure would be nice if these "terribly concerned" Republicans had acted months or years ago to curb Trump's illegality.
                        I wonder who the Barry Goldwater, Hugh Scott and John Rhodes will be...
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

I wonder who the Barry Goldwater, Hugh Scott and John Rhodes will be...
                          Great question. I assume it'll be McConnell, Thune and Grassley.

Assuming the landslide is big enough and early enough of course.

Pretty sure it was McConnell that told Trump that using his Doral resort for the G7 meeting would be a bridge too far...even for the GOP.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• "as many as 10" -- that's pathetic.

during Watergate, there were 42 GOP Senators; after the smoking gun tape came out, Goldwater told Nixon that there were maybe 15 Senators who'd acquit him.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              "as many as 10" -- that's pathetic.

during Watergate, there were 42 GOP Senators; after the smoking gun tape came out, Goldwater told Nixon that there were maybe 15 Senators who'd acquit him.
                              Let's face it, if there's even a shadow of a doubt about the outcome of the election, the number will be ZERO. They've already sacrificed their souls to Trump. There's no going back now.

Comment

• More than 57 million Americans have already voted, suggesting a huge voter turnout for 2020. But it's not clear who that would favor.

More than 57 million Americans have already voted with more than a week to go.

The data comes from the US Elections Project which is run by Dr. Michael P. McDonald, a political science professor at the University of Florida.

It says that the number of votes cast already is already 41.7% of the total votes cast in 2016.

According to the Guardian, McDonald projects from those numbers that the total turnout in 2020 will be 65%. That level of participation would be the highest since 1908.

However — what a surge in turnout could mean for the end result is not obvious.

In a recent analysis, McDonald argued that the early voting trends favor Democratic nominee Joe Biden, because his campaign can stop spending resources on supporters who already turn out, and focus on those who are yet to vote.

The Trump campaign, he argued, is at a disadvantage because it still has many more potential voters to absorb its attention.

However, it is impossible to know how meaningful that difference will prove. Past analyses of the impact of increased turnout suggested that it could go either way.

New York Magazine this week suggested that increased turnout would likely strongly favor Biden it it helps younger voters get to the polls.

Citing a new poll from Axios and SurveyMonkey-Tableau, it noted that voters under 35 in all but five states — and every swing state — favor Biden over Trump.

However, the New York Times earlier this year noted that white working-class supporters — most of whom favor Trump — have also historically not voted in high numbers.

If more of those voters make it to the polls — especially in target areas like Pennsylvania — it could help the Republicans most.

Most current number as of 4:00pm EST is 62,014,329, or 45% of the 2016 turnout.

The website cited is a fantastic resource

Comment

Working...
                                X