The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    As an aside, I regularly keep an eye on Trump's favorite poll, Today he went from Friday's rather benign -2 and plummeted to a -11, a startling 9 point drop and a number he hasn't been at since mid-August. Whoa.
    Quite a dip.

Why or what happened ? i guess that stuff is behind their pay wall

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and the rest of the week, especially with the debate tomorrow night. More than likely he'll continue the gentle up-and-down wave but that kind of sudden drop, happening as it did when Trump was start to recover a bit, was something of a jolt, to say the least.
    Mid 40s to lower 50s for total approve is looking safe.

Lower forties and staying there is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      Quite a dip.

Why or what happened ?
      Don't know....not sure if those numbers reflect the NYT exposé on his taxes

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      i guess that stuff is behind their pay wall
      Probably yeah. I must acknowledge that I haven't gone into their website further than the approval poll page

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      Mid 40s to lower 50s for total approve is looking safe.

Lower forties and staying there is not.
      Agreed. His absolute worst numbers were back in August 2017 (not during the height of COVID panic, interestingly enough), where his Approval Index was at a -26 and his Total Approve was at just 38-39%
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Don't know....not sure if those numbers reflect the NYT exposé on his taxes
        Debates are about to start. I expect he will recover from that dip.

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Agreed. His absolute worst numbers were back in August 2017 (not during the height of COVID panic, interestingly enough), where his Approval Index was at a -26 and his Total Approve was at just 38-39%
        Person i'm waiting to hear from is Michael Walsh. Been quiet since May.

https://nypost.com/author/michael-walsh/

His claim to fame ? before the last elections he traveled around the country and called the result a month before.

Last edited by Double Edge; 29 Sep 20,, 11:28.

Comment

• Since it seems that nobody has as of yet posted a video of the first debate, here is one from C-SPAN. If watching in real-time, rewind back in time, else it will begin at current time.

Originally posted by C-SPAN

First 2020 Presidential Debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden

President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden participate in the first 2020 presidential debate in Cleveland, OH.

https://www.c-span.org/debates/

Last edited by JRT; 30 Sep 20,, 02:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRT View Post
            Since it seems that nobody has as of yet posted a video of the first debate, here is one from C-SPAN....
            Well it's still ongoing right now...

The moderators for the next debate damn well better have a plan for dealing with Trump.
            Otherwise debates are pointless when one of the participants is a disrespectful child that won't wait his turn.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• that was painful, stopped watching after an hour.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Disgraceful.
                The moderator must have direct control of the microphone on/off switch.

I see no reason why there should be more presidential debates.
                Trust me?
                I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  that was painful, stopped watching after an hour.
                  You watched? Trump is not a debater. I doubt he can remember policy talking points to begin with. I fully expected him to do just what he did insult and interrupt worse than he did with HRC. You go with what you are best at and along with lying, cheating at taxes, he has perfected deflection by insults as evidenced tonight. That being said the moderator sucked big time and lost total control in the first minutes from what I read. The reputation of Chris Wallace just took a hit. My god just think about the other two on the docket. I agree with DOR as to what is the point of further matches.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                    Disgraceful.

Both sides would have to agree to that and there's no way that Trump is going to disappoint his base. They want Trump to be Trump: A rude combative, actually childish, asshole.

He can't do that if he can't interrupt people every 5 seconds.

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    That being said the moderator sucked big time and lost total control in the first minutes from what I read. The reputation of Chris Wallace just took a hit. My god just think about the other two on the docket.
                    Chris Wallace lost an enormous amount of credibility, no question about it. He should've known better than to take this gig. It was a lose-lose scenario, like everything else involving Donald Trump.

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                    I agree with DOR as to what is the point of further matches.
                    That makes 2 of us

Comment

• Trump refuses to denounce white supremacy, orders Proud Boys to 'stand back and stand by'

President Trump refused to denounce white supremacy during an intense debate with Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden Tuesday night.

“Almost everything I see is from the left wing, not from the right wing,” Trump said when directly asked to denounce white supremacists and militia groups who have aligned themselves with him.

Trump asked moderator Chris Wallace of Fox News to “give me a name,” then Biden chimed in and noted the Proud Boys, a group that the Southern Poverty Law Center has designated as a hate group.

The Proud Boys describe themselves as “a pro-Western fraternal organization for men who refuse to apologize for creating the modern world; aka Western Chauvinists” and have been tied to violent protests, often in support of the president.

“Proud Boys — stand back and stand by,” Trump said Tuesday night.

Trump then moved attention to the left-wing anti-fascist movement known as antifa.

“Somebody has got to do something about antifa and the left because this isn’t a right-wing problem, this is a left-wing problem,” Trump said.

Biden then noted that FBI Director Christopher Wray has said antifa is not a formal organization, but an ideology.

“Well then, you know what, he’s wrong,” Trump said of Wray.

Anybody want to keep justifying the "very fine people on both sides" comment? How about you surfgun, you've been awfully quiet lately. Any of this stirring your sense of morality? Your sense of right and wrong? Your sense of civility and barbarity?

Donald Trump just issued a direct command his base and his base responded in the affirmative.

Click image for larger version  Name:	YFJSXHw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.0 KB ID:	1566336

These are the people that follow Donald Trump and obey him. He made that abundantly clear tonight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trump's Base.JPG Views:	0 Size:	232.8 KB ID:	1566338

Comment

• Ah, shades of the SA...

Comment

• Well if nothing else the Vice-Presidential debate should be a huge contrast in decorum as I don't see Pence behaving that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                            Disgraceful.

A better idea would be to only have the mic of the person answering the question on, then turn it off as soon as time is up. Each person gets 1min to reply. That way no one can accuse the Mods of tipping the scales. OK, Trumpers will do that reflexively, but they will look even more cultlike than usual. Trump could yell if he wanted to, but it would sound especially pathetic fro he other side of the stage.

Unfortunately, as TH points out, both sides would need to agree and Trump won't. Constantly talking and shouting over his opponent is a key debate tactic for Trump. It is his way to get his opponent off balance, and he knows that his base just laps up that sort of thing. Incoherent, ignorant old white guys shouting everyone else down is basically how they think the world should work. The fact that it doesn't always work is a part of their victimhood mythology.
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

The moderators for the next debate damn well better have a plan for dealing with Trump. Otherwise debates are pointless when one of the participants is a disrespectful child that won't wait his turn.
                              With Donald J. Trump involved in this, they need to bring it down to his level with a game show format, where contestants are locked into separate soundproof booths, where the contestants can hear everything said, but can only be heard when the moderator activates their booth, and the booth lighting changes to show when a booth is activated.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                                Well if nothing else the Vice-Presidential debate should be a huge contrast in decorum as I don't see Pence behaving that way.
                                Sadly, Tim Kaine was ordered to play the pitbull 4 years ago and played into Pence's hands. It was completely unnatural for the man and it showed....I've known Tim for almost 20 years.

If Pence tries to pull the Trump Crap Kamala Harris needs to remind him of Pence's reaction when things went sideways 4 years ago.
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X