The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tantalus View Post
    That's not my standard but you are right that many did abandon their me-too principles come biden-reade. And the democratic party did mysteriously lose their voices.
    I kept it, I did not vote for and will not vote for Trump or and for the exact same reasons Biden.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
      I kept it, I did not vote for and will not vote for Trump or and for the exact same reasons Biden.
      I can respect that even though I would align more with Tophatter. I really do think trump is obviously worse in many aspects but I do get some of your perspective. Not seeing how biden is vastly more racist or corrupt then trump.

In what way do you see biden aligning with bernie on policy?
      Last edited by tantalus; 22 Aug 20,, 23:44.

Comment

I can respect that even though I would align more with Tophatter. I really do think trump is obviously worse in many aspects but I do get some of your perspective. Not seeing how biden is vastly more racist or corrupt then trump.
        Biden's racism: Voted to restore Lee and Davis citizenship, said he did not want his kids growing up in a racial jungle and sided with the left over segregationists on the bussing issue, said you only see Indians running 7/11's and driving Taxis, said to be black you had to vote for him but if you dared to ask him a hard question you are an obvious crack head and last least but most importantly the 94 crime bill that targeted black men for special treatment by weighing crack more heavily than powder cocaine. The resulting prison population boom recreated old style convict leasing (peonage). Somthing his VP pick defended when she defied the California Supreme Court's order to let non-violent offenders out. In her own words she needed their labor (13th amendment compulsory labor/slavery as punishment for a crime)

In what way do you see biden aligning with bernie on policy?
        He let Bernie's red brigade write his policy paper go read it.... Hell of a B-Day present to Marx on his 200th.

Comment

Biden's racism: Voted to restore Lee and Davis citizenship, said he did not want his kids growing up in a racial jungle and sided with the left over segregationists on the bussing issue, said you only see Indians running 7/11's and driving Taxis, said to be black you had to vote for him but if you dared to ask him a hard question you are an obvious crack head and last least but most importantly the 94 crime bill that targeted black men for special treatment by weighing crack more heavily than powder cocaine. The resulting prison population boom recreated old style convict leasing (peonage). Somthing his VP pick defended when she defied the California Supreme Court's order to let non-violent offenders out. In her own words she needed their labor (13th amendment compulsory labor/slavery as punishment for a crime)

I think there is a more generous interpretation to what biden was trying to say and do regarding the racial jungle comment.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...n-his-childre/

His crime bill was very damaging in practice, not sure bad policy means he is a racist, but the policy did have very very damaging implications for the black community. That said, clearly he has made comments and thoughts that don't match the progress and ideals of 2020, but I prefer to have a sliding scale on judging people. Clearly he has had problems with how to view these things, and may be still prone to bias, as many of us still are unconsciously.

To be fair I don't know the context in why crack got heavier treatment than powder.

Comment

I am actually not that in tune with american politics. What does this refer to ?
            There was once a commercial for Minolta cameras with the tag line "From the Mind of Minolta." They made some amazing advancements in cameras. Now you get to see From the Mind of Z. You may be amazed or maybe not.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
              evidence needed for Biden family doing that.

for that matter, evidence needed that Biden family did anything like what Ivanka did...like getting her trademarks all approved by China literally the day when Xi visited daddy dearest.

bottom-line, Trump is a billionaire with a LONG history of sordid deals and outright corruption. Biden is not. given that he was VP, if he were corrupt he'd certainly have billions in net worth by now. HRC and Bill Clinton easily made $200 million+ in speech fees alone, post-power.

I don't mind if you think Trump's policy choices are better than Biden's, misguided as I think that might be.

if you think Trump is LESS CORRUPT than Biden, then I'm surprised you're not in WWG1WGA territory.
              There is reason to believe that Biden's 'decency' is somewhat exaggerated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ly-exaggerated

But using his possible few alleged failings over decades as a politician as a reason for voting for one of the most corrupt and unethical men to serve as President, that is just nuts!

Comment

• Originally posted by InExile View Post
                There is reason to believe that Biden's 'decency' is somewhat exaggerated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ly-exaggerated

But using his possible few alleged failings over decades as a politician as a reason for voting for one of the most corrupt and unethical men to serve as President, that is just nuts!
                That is correct, and also incorrect. No one is going to be using Biden's history as a reason to vote for Trump for the simlpe reason that no one could compare the two and choose Trump. However, people may use Biden's history as an excuse for doing something they know to be profoundly wrong. They were going to do it anyway, but they can pretend it is actually about Biden.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

And stop pretending his handsyness with women and girls is not misread social cues, its a complete disregard for the body autonomy of women. Oh finally he appears to be hip deep in using
                  As opposed to a bunch of 'religious' people who wish to deny that autonomy if a Lady falls pregnant?

Comment

• Tried to reply to Asty with links about Biden family corruption but keep getting a 406 denied message. Politico, NYPost and many other mainstream sites have a multitude of exposes on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                      That is correct, and also incorrect. No one is going to be using Biden's history as a reason to vote for Trump for the simlpe reason that no one could compare the two and choose Trump. However, people may use Biden's history as an excuse for doing something they know to be profoundly wrong. They were going to do it anyway, but they can pretend it is actually about Biden.
                      I think you are wrong. Been a major failing of the Left since 16 is to try and pigeon hole the Right without actually doing a deep dive. The Left's stated aims if they win in November is: pack SCOTUS, get rid of the fillibuster, ditch the EC, and legalize 3rd party ballot harvesting. Taken together those things would end American representative government. Somebody who can't stand Trump would be fully justified in voting for him to prevent that series of disasters. There is incredible diversity of thought on the right where the Left's increasingly authoritarian conformity has all but drowned out moderate voices. The attempt to appease the hard Left has seen Biden sign on to a manifesto that is decidedly red in color.

Comment

• Tried to reply to Asty with links about Biden family corruption but keep getting a 406 denied message. Politico, NYPost and many other mainstream sites have a multitude of exposes on it.
                        which is, of course, why both Joe and Hunter Biden are both billionaires, and the Senate committee investigating Hunter Biden's ties to Burisma have discovered a whole series of crimes that justify his arrest.

for some reason all these Trump associates keep on getting arrested but Hunter Biden is walking free! must be deep-state.

/s
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• pack SCOTUS, get rid of the fillibuster, ditch the EC, and legalize 3rd party ballot harvesting. Taken together those things would end American representative government.
                          would love to see the first three, tho i'd be willing to wait on #1 and see what the Roberts court does with a Dem President before I really would be supportive.

the last one is not really a Dem thing; 26 states already allow it, including states like Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, South Carolina...politically it doesn't really favor anyone, like mail-in voting.

taking all the things together, we'd finally have a government that would -do- something, instead of complete and utter paralysis. and if I could, I'd turn Puerto Rico/DC/Guam into states, and see how the GOP likes it when the Dems decide to play political hardball.

unfortunately, tho, I doubt Biden will do any of these, except MAYBE the filibuster if the GOP decides to continue from the 2010 Mitch McConnell playbook.

finally, regarding the EC, I guarantee you the GOP will be the noisiest proponent for the elimination of the EC if Texas alone transitions into a blue state.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• A list of things that would die if the Donkey Party would win?
                            F-15EX
                            F/A-XX, F-35C will do, despite the Navy wants an Aircraft with long legs.
                            Any Columbia class SSGN’s
                            SSNX, just get by with new build Virginia’s
                            A dumbed down Bradley replacement
                            6.5mm small arms may or may not survive?
                            Get by with new build Blackhawks and kill off the high speed successor?
                            Kill the Ch-53K.
                            That is off the top of my head.

Comment

• Plagiarism (again)?
                              https://nationalpost.com/news/joe-bi...d3edcf221/amp/

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                                would love to see the first three, tho i'd be willing to wait on #1 and see what the Roberts court does with a Dem President before I really would be supportive.

the last one is not really a Dem thing; 26 states already allow it, including states like Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, South Carolina...politically it doesn't really favor anyone, like mail-in voting.

taking all the things together, we'd finally have a government that would -do- something, instead of complete and utter paralysis. and if I could, I'd turn Puerto Rico/DC/Guam into states, and see how the GOP likes it when the Dems decide to play political hardball.

unfortunately, tho, I doubt Biden will do any of these, except MAYBE the filibuster if the GOP decides to continue from the 2010 Mitch McConnell playbook.

finally, regarding the EC, I guarantee you the GOP will be the noisiest proponent for the elimination of the EC if Texas alone transitions into a blue state.
                                Packing the court is a way to bypass Congress, even FDR ultimately shied away from it.

The fillibuster is useful in slowing down government and preventing single party authoritarianism. It is a useful tool to force concensus. If the parties are so divided then the one who thinks its just such an important issue should go try and win an election. Ending the fillibuster is a way to disenfranchise voters once removed.

The EC protects minority voices. If you really wanted a fairer system then award EC votes based on who won the congressional district with popular vote winner getting the +2 senate votes. It by-passes the winner take all and hamstrings jerry mandering. Won't happen becuase doing that would restore an electoral voice to places like Up State NY, rural California and all of Illinois outside of Chicago. Given voters a voice isn't really whats behind the drive to nix the EC.

Third Party ballot harvesting is only legal in California and has already dubiously swung several elections there. Letting party activists collect votes or letting third parties handle ballots in general is a bad idea. It destroys integrity and opens the door for all sorts of mayhem.

Making Guam, PR and DC states is only a fad as a way to pack the senate. Especially DC where the concentration of money and power is already so concentrated that the area has more millionaires than even silicon valley.

They are all schemes that add up to an enabling act to establish 1 party rule by a party that has turned decidedly red.

Comment

Working...
                                X