Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The US 2020 Presidential Election

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joe makes a statement that he could stay hunkered down at home, “because black woman stacked the grocery store shelves.”
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5ZtLlGv8M
    Last edited by surfgun; 06 Oct 20,, 01:23.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by AR


      This time according to Trump the mail in votes will be 80 million. System can't handle as much he says.
      .
      Yet the USPS web site says they process 472 million pieces of mail each day

      Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

      Comment


      • Originally posted by astralis View Post
        that's what astounds me about Trump supporters: so many examples of Trump routinely treating the men and women who -protect his own family- like shit, but supposedly he's the person who'll stand up for the little guy?
        The attack rate of a person wearing a mask in a confined space with another person wearing a N95 mask is a stupid risk, but it's not going to be high. "Outside of medical procedures" is pulling a hell of a lot of effort: those procedures are EXTREMELY high-risk because they aerosolize.

        I don't know how long these people are all sitting in the car together.

        With budget season maybbbbeeeee coming to a close...
        I would've said this one is likely going Biden by 5 around Labor Day, but the bad news cycles and the poor debate performances make me think Biden +9 or Biden +10 is vastly more likely at this point. That'll be enough to make Georgia flip or close to it and keep us awake on Election Night to see how Texas will pan out.

        Polls would have to be very far off AND Trump needs to pull a hat trick to get a win. can't really see that happening. the debate was his best chance, but he's not going to be anyone other than Trump.
        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

        Comment


        • Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
          Polls would have to be very far off AND Trump needs to pull a hat trick to get a win. can't really see that happening. the debate was his best chance, but he's not going to be anyone other than Trump.
          Trump and the Republicans still have voter suppression/voter intimidation and the gutting of the USPS to fall back on, to at least pull off another Electoral College victory. It can absolutely happen.

          Failing that, unless Biden wins big in every meaningful category (see below), Trump and the Republicans will use every method they can to steal the presidency.
          • Overall popular vote landslide
          • Electoral College landslide
          • Each state he wins is by a landslide
          My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            Joe makes a statement that he could stay hunkered down at home, “because black woman stacked the grocery store shelves.”
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5ZtLlGv8M
            Chalk up yet another fine example of the great work of the Clueless Poster ...

            "They're saying, 'Jeez, the reason I was able to stay sequestered in my home is because some Black woman was able to stack the grocery shelf. Or I got a young Hispanic out there, these DREAMers are out there, 60,000 of them acting as first responders and nurses and docs'," he said. "Or all of a sudden people are realizing, 'My Lord, these people have done so much. Not just Black, white, across the board, have done so much for me. We can do this. We can get things done.' And I think they're ready."
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

              Yet the USPS web site says they process 472 million pieces of mail each day
              This is my shocked face......
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DOR View Post

                Chalk up yet another fine example of the great work of the Clueless Poster ...

                "They're saying, 'Jeez, the reason I was able to stay sequestered in my home is because some Black woman was able to stack the grocery shelf. Or I got a young Hispanic out there, these DREAMers are out there, 60,000 of them acting as first responders and nurses and docs'," he said. "Or all of a sudden people are realizing, 'My Lord, these people have done so much. Not just Black, white, across the board, have done so much for me. We can do this. We can get things done.' And I think they're ready."
                Ahhh...context and full quotes. Such lovely things.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

                Comment


                • Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                  Joe makes a statement that he could stay hunkered down at home, “because black woman stacked the grocery store shelves.”
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5ZtLlGv8M
                  You should probably stick to your safe space troll threads, posting links about "TDS" shootings that aren't actually linked to political motivations.
                  My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

                  Comment


                  • Donald Trump's desperation to leave hospital shows the dangers ahead

                    The desperation that has driven Donald Trump to leave hospital prematurely and theatrically pull off his mask on the White House balcony while in the throes of coronavirus infection gives some measure of how dangerous the next four weeks will be.

                    Many students of Trump’s life and career have warned that he would be prepared to sacrifice anyone – even those closest to him – to spare himself the humiliation of a one-term presidency, but even they surely could not have anticipated how literal that sacrifice would be.

                    It involved creating a culture in the White House in which the wearing of masks was scoffed at, and seen as a sign of disloyalty, the worst sin in the Trump court. Trump drove home the message on Monday night, staging a spectacle of his return to the White House maskless, with photographers forced to be in attendance. He has produced a toxic workplace to the point of potential lethality.

                    A super-spreader event was held there to make the most out of Trump’s nominating Amy Coney Barrett to the supreme court – exploiting the opportunity of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death, and then the president and his considerable entourage fanned out around the country in pursuit of campaign funds.

                    It included Trump’s insistence on leaving hospital on Sunday night and driving around the block to drink in the adoration of the small crowd of faithful that had gathered at the gate. In so doing he obliged secret service agents to get into a hermetically sealed armoured car with a patient showing full-on symptomatic coronavirus.

                    The bodyguards are there to take a bullet for the president, not to take one from him, but that was in effect what Trump was demanding they do for a photo-op.

                    Amid the ensuing outrage over his insouciance, Trump appeared not to appreciate the point: that he had shown no heed of the safety of others, even loyal public servants. His reaction only served to prove that same point. He did not grasp that these people had significance.

                    “It is reported that the Media is upset because I got into a secure vehicle to say thank you to the many fans and supporters who were standing outside of the hospital for many hours, and even days, to pay their respect to their President. If I didn’t do it, Media would say RUDE!!!”, Trump tweeted.

                    What stands out is the president’s sense that he was the victim once again – and the only other people who mattered were those who had shown their personal allegiance to him.

                    No one really thought that Trump would emerge chastened from his brush with the virus (if the encounter is truly over – his doctor has stressed he is not “out of the woods”). But not only was he unrepentant about the White House’s cavalier approach to masks and social distancing, he has reinforced it.

                    “Don’t be afraid of Covid,” he tweeted. “Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge.”

                    Entirely absent was any acknowledgement of the more than 200,000 dead, the many more suffering serious and long lasting symptoms – and the reality that some of the “really great drugs” he was given at Walter Reed hospital were experimental and way beyond the reach of ordinary patients.

                    These facts are evident to most Americans. In a new survey commissioned by CNN from the polling organisation SSRS, two-thirds of them said Trump acted irresponsibly in handling the risk of infection to himself and those around him. Joe Biden’s nationwide lead has widened further.

                    There is now a very real danger of a vicious cycle. Desperation fuels Trump’s unpopularity, which triggers more desperation. Americans are already exhausted by October surprises, and the nation is only five days into the month. The calendar is unfurling towards the 3 November vote with a president who has little to lose from gambling.

                    The principal victims of his lack of empathy so far have been the concentric circles of supporters around him. In the coming weeks the collateral damage from his panic is likely to spread further afield. The president is already openly calling his supporters to gather at the polls as “watchers” on election day, and primed them to expect a vote rigged against their leader.

                    No one doubts now that he would take chaos and bloodshed over defeat, and the implications may not stop at the nation’s shore, with the greatest fear being a combination of a foreign adversary seeking to exploit a weakened administration, and a commander in chief ready to do anything to avoid looking weak.
                    __________

                    Trump's Derangement Syndrome. It's only going to get worse.

                    But least he's the anti-lefty.
                    My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      DE,

                      The commentators are ALL Republicans. No Democrats are saying there is voter fraud by mail. Hell, they are fighting efforts to suppress the vote....see what GOV Abbott just did in Texas the other day to suppress voting by restricting the number of drop off boxes to one per county.

                      Yeah, there is a problem voting by mail....which is exactly what Trump did earlier this year in Florida.
                      Yes, the commentators are republican. It would seem the Democrat commentators say voter suppression.

                      One CT to complement the other CT

                      Both sides have now put out qualifiers should they lose.

                      Good stuff

                      Comment


                      • Trump is back in the WH after 72h. This is good news.

                        8 months in treatment & therapy have improved and doctors have a better idea now then earlier.

                        Let's see how this week unfolds.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          Trump is back in the WH after 72h. This is good news.
                          Depends on one's point of view...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

                            Trump and the Republicans still have voter suppression/voter intimidation and the gutting of the USPS to fall back on, to at least pull off another Electoral College victory. It can absolutely happen.

                            Failing that, unless Biden wins big in every meaningful category (see below), Trump and the Republicans will use every method they can to steal the presidency.
                            • Overall popular vote landslide
                            • Electoral College landslide
                            • Each state he wins is by a landslide
                            I really don't see how anything in the linked article comes close to stealing an election in the fashion of a Post-Soviet dictatorship. Clicking into the links:
                            -The RNC can have poll watchers in the same fashion as the Democrats, because a nearly 40 year old consent decree has been overturned. But the Trump Campaign already HAD poll watchers, this is just allowing the RNC to fund it directly, so you're going from 62 to 100 (in the entire state of Wisconsin?) There is no full transcript, only edited quips.
                            -Yeah, black voters didn't turn out for Hillary like they did for Obama, Trump got a few more black votes than Romney did, and this probably helped him out in a few states. Not really sure what the scandal is here.
                            -I don't see anything illegal about the section in mail-in ballots. It is an error-prone system. The errors are noted and the expectation is to file lawsuits to force election commissioners to follow the laws as written.

                            I eventually stopped reading the article because it's just so light on content and so long on prophetic dystopia, and the Hunger Games came out almost a decade ago: time for a new fiction genre.


                            Either way, I don't think this election is going to be particularly close and I don't think a few court cases are going to change it. It would have to take multiple states completely invalidating their results and sending a slate of GOP electors to turn it, and even then, I HIGHLY doubt the US Supreme Court is anywhere near as nakedly partisan as it is often assumed to be.
                            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

                              I really don't see how anything in the linked article comes close to stealing an election in the fashion of a Post-Soviet dictatorship. Clicking into the links:
                              -The RNC can have poll watchers in the same fashion as the Democrats, because a nearly 40 year old consent decree has been overturned. But the Trump Campaign already HAD poll watchers, this is just allowing the RNC to fund it directly, so you're going from 62 to 100 (in the entire state of Wisconsin?) There is no full transcript, only edited quips.
                              -Yeah, black voters didn't turn out for Hillary like they did for Obama, Trump got a few more black votes than Romney did, and this probably helped him out in a few states. Not really sure what the scandal is here.
                              -I don't see anything illegal about the section in mail-in ballots. It is an error-prone system. The errors are noted and the expectation is to file lawsuits to force election commissioners to follow the laws as written.

                              I eventually stopped reading the article because it's just so light on content and so long on prophetic dystopia, and the Hunger Games came out almost a decade ago: time for a new fiction genre.


                              Either way, I don't think this election is going to be particularly close and I don't think a few court cases are going to change it. It would have to take multiple states completely invalidating their results and sending a slate of GOP electors to turn it, and even then, I HIGHLY doubt the US Supreme Court is anywhere near as nakedly partisan as it is often assumed to be.
                              Remember, there are poll watchers and then there are poll "watchers" ...
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers_riot
                              Trust me?
                              I'm an economist!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

                                I really don't see how anything in the linked article comes close to stealing an election in the fashion of a Post-Soviet dictatorship. Clicking into the links:
                                -The RNC can have poll watchers in the same fashion as the Democrats, because a nearly 40 year old consent decree has been overturned. But the Trump Campaign already HAD poll watchers, this is just allowing the RNC to fund it directly, so you're going from 62 to 100 (in the entire state of Wisconsin?) There is no full transcript, only edited quips.
                                -Yeah, black voters didn't turn out for Hillary like they did for Obama, Trump got a few more black votes than Romney did, and this probably helped him out in a few states. Not really sure what the scandal is here.
                                -I don't see anything illegal about the section in mail-in ballots. It is an error-prone system. The errors are noted and the expectation is to file lawsuits to force election commissioners to follow the laws as written.

                                I eventually stopped reading the article because it's just so light on content and so long on prophetic dystopia, and the Hunger Games came out almost a decade ago: time for a new fiction genre.


                                Either way, I don't think this election is going to be particularly close and I don't think a few court cases are going to change it. It would have to take multiple states completely invalidating their results and sending a slate of GOP electors to turn it, and even then, I HIGHLY doubt the US Supreme Court is anywhere near as nakedly partisan as it is often assumed to be.
                                Does it have to go all the way to Post-Soviet dictatorship to be effective? No, no it does not.

                                As DOR said, there's poll watchers and then there's "poll watchers" and then there's POLL WATCHERS.

                                Quite honestly I don't really care about who came out for what in 2016. I'm talking about Here, and Now, in 2020.

                                I can provide plenty more links detailing how Republicans can fuck over this election and indeed Trump has already heaped doubt on the legitimacy the election months before it's even happened "If I lose, the election is rigged".

                                I'm curious to know why you think the election won't be close and in which direction.

                                Personally I would love to see a blowout, wherein a large majority of Americans (once again) reject Trump and Trumpism. But a large majority rejecting Trump that didn't keep him out of the White House in 2016 and I'm not counting on that happening this year either. I hope to be proven completely and utterly wrong. But I have no rose colored glasses on this year. Not anymore.

                                You say "so light on content and so long on prophetic dystopia", which tells me that the last 4 years of Trump shredding the law and Constitution haven't made the slightest impact on you.

                                Dystopia doesn't have to look like The Day After or The Man In The High Castle. It can look like a President brazenly disparaging once-sacred totems of a county, without the slightest consequence. Or openly sneering at the parts of a country's constitution that he finds inconvenient, again without the slightest reaction from his followers, which number in the tens of millions.

                                Dystopia can look pretty goddamn normal.
                                My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X