No announcement yet.

The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that's what astounds me about Trump supporters: so many examples of Trump routinely treating the men and women who -protect his own family- like shit, but supposedly he's the person who'll stand up for the little guy?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
      that's what astounds me about Trump supporters: so many examples of Trump routinely treating the men and women who -protect his own family- like shit, but supposedly he's the person who'll stand up for the little guy?
      Forget Trump shooting someone on Fifth Avenue and not losing voters....they'd volunteer to shoot themselves if he gave the order.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

that's what astounds me about Trump supporters: so many examples of Trump routinely treating the men and women who -protect his own family- like shit, but supposedly he's the person who'll stand up for the little guy?
        Hell, this is how he learned to treat his own family....

https://www.npr.org/sections/latest-...hip-to-illness
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Don't know....not sure if those numbers reflect the NYT exposé on his taxes
          Taxes is old hat.

It's his announcement of Judge Barrett as his pick.

between Sept 25 & 28, he drops from 52 to 46% total approve. 6% !!

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Agreed. His absolute worst numbers were back in August 2017 (not during the height of COVID panic, interestingly enough), where his Approval Index was at a -26 and his Total Approve was at just 38-39%
          I've never seen such a drop between two poll dates on Rasmussen ever.

There is either a gentle rise leading to a trend or the opposite. Never as big a shift.

Yes, odd isn't it. I wonder why he would think such a thing. Fortunately for Trump, the vast majority of polls are showing him way ahead of Biden.
          There you go, they mention it in the first sentence.

Following President Trump’s announcement of a U.S. Supreme Court nominee just weeks before Election Day, Democrat Joe Biden has jumped out to an eight-point lead in Rasmussen Reports’ weekly White House Watch survey.
          They don't attribute it but i think there is a strong link

Interesting view on this but almost entirely wrong.
          You don't say what is wrong but Trump did not think his choice of judge would affect his poll ratings. It has.

Soccer moms are an important vote bank that swung the election for him back in 2016. They picked a man over a woman.

And the thinking is they will swing to Biden this time.

He's still at 46 total approve and has not recovered yet.

That too is bullshit. Where are you getting this crap?

And there's the answer *facepalm*
          There is no BS there, I've seen it for over a decade and i seeing the same pattern repeat in your country.

Commentators are saying mail in votes are suspect and leaves room for fraud.

What i find curious is its just one party saying it. Should work both ways no ? fairly even split in the country between the two candidates.

Without mail in they think they will win. Because of mail in they will pin their loss on mail in.

31 million mail in votes in the last election according to Chris Wallace. Nobody said fraud then because they won.

This time according to Trump the mail in votes will be 80 million. System can't handle as much he says.

Why will there be fraud this time ? Not logical is it.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 05 Oct 20,, 17:22.

Comment

• DE,

There is no BS there, I've seen it for over a decade and i seeing the same pattern repeat in your country.

Commentators are saying mail in votes are suspect and leaves room for fraud.

What i find curious is its just one party saying it. Should work both ways no ? fairly even split in the country between the two candidates.

Without mail in they think they will win. Because of mail in they will pin their loss on mail in.

31 million mail in votes in the last election according to Chris Wallace. Nobody said fraud then because they won.

This time according to Trump the mail in votes will be 80 million. System can't handle as much he says.

Why will there be fraud this time ? Not logical is it.

The commentators are ALL Republicans. No Democrats are saying there is voter fraud by mail. Hell, they are fighting efforts to suppress the vote....see what GOV Abbott just did in Texas the other day to suppress voting by restricting the number of drop off boxes to one per county.

Yeah, there is a problem voting by mail....which is exactly what Trump did earlier this year in Florida.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Joe makes a statement that he could stay hunkered down at home, “because black woman stacked the grocery store shelves.”
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5ZtLlGv8M
              Last edited by surfgun; 06 Oct 20,, 01:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by AR

Yet the USPS web site says they process 472 million pieces of mail each day

Comment

The attack rate of a person wearing a mask in a confined space with another person wearing a N95 mask is a stupid risk, but it's not going to be high. "Outside of medical procedures" is pulling a hell of a lot of effort: those procedures are EXTREMELY high-risk because they aerosolize.

I don't know how long these people are all sitting in the car together.

With budget season maybbbbeeeee coming to a close...
                  I would've said this one is likely going Biden by 5 around Labor Day, but the bad news cycles and the poor debate performances make me think Biden +9 or Biden +10 is vastly more likely at this point. That'll be enough to make Georgia flip or close to it and keep us awake on Election Night to see how Texas will pan out.

Polls would have to be very far off AND Trump needs to pull a hat trick to get a win. can't really see that happening. the debate was his best chance, but he's not going to be anyone other than Trump.
                  "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                    Polls would have to be very far off AND Trump needs to pull a hat trick to get a win. can't really see that happening. the debate was his best chance, but he's not going to be anyone other than Trump.
                    Trump and the Republicans still have voter suppression/voter intimidation and the gutting of the USPS to fall back on, to at least pull off another Electoral College victory. It can absolutely happen.

Failing that, unless Biden wins big in every meaningful category (see below), Trump and the Republicans will use every method they can to steal the presidency.
                    • Overall popular vote landslide
                    • Electoral College landslide
                    • Each state he wins is by a landslide
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      Joe makes a statement that he could stay hunkered down at home, “because black woman stacked the grocery store shelves.”
                      Chalk up yet another fine example of the great work of the Clueless Poster ...

"They're saying, 'Jeez, the reason I was able to stay sequestered in my home is because some Black woman was able to stack the grocery shelf. Or I got a young Hispanic out there, these DREAMers are out there, 60,000 of them acting as first responders and nurses and docs'," he said. "Or all of a sudden people are realizing, 'My Lord, these people have done so much. Not just Black, white, across the board, have done so much for me. We can do this. We can get things done.' And I think they're ready."
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

Yet the USPS web site says they process 472 million pieces of mail each day
                        This is my shocked face......
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post

Chalk up yet another fine example of the great work of the Clueless Poster ...

"They're saying, 'Jeez, the reason I was able to stay sequestered in my home is because some Black woman was able to stack the grocery shelf. Or I got a young Hispanic out there, these DREAMers are out there, 60,000 of them acting as first responders and nurses and docs'," he said. "Or all of a sudden people are realizing, 'My Lord, these people have done so much. Not just Black, white, across the board, have done so much for me. We can do this. We can get things done.' And I think they're ready."
                          Ahhh...context and full quotes. Such lovely things.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                            Joe makes a statement that he could stay hunkered down at home, “because black woman stacked the grocery store shelves.”
                            You should probably stick to your safe space troll threads, posting links about "TDS" shootings that aren't actually linked to political motivations.

Comment

• Donald Trump's desperation to leave hospital shows the dangers ahead

The desperation that has driven Donald Trump to leave hospital prematurely and theatrically pull off his mask on the White House balcony while in the throes of coronavirus infection gives some measure of how dangerous the next four weeks will be.

Many students of Trump’s life and career have warned that he would be prepared to sacrifice anyone – even those closest to him – to spare himself the humiliation of a one-term presidency, but even they surely could not have anticipated how literal that sacrifice would be.

It involved creating a culture in the White House in which the wearing of masks was scoffed at, and seen as a sign of disloyalty, the worst sin in the Trump court. Trump drove home the message on Monday night, staging a spectacle of his return to the White House maskless, with photographers forced to be in attendance. He has produced a toxic workplace to the point of potential lethality.

A super-spreader event was held there to make the most out of Trump’s nominating Amy Coney Barrett to the supreme court – exploiting the opportunity of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death, and then the president and his considerable entourage fanned out around the country in pursuit of campaign funds.

It included Trump’s insistence on leaving hospital on Sunday night and driving around the block to drink in the adoration of the small crowd of faithful that had gathered at the gate. In so doing he obliged secret service agents to get into a hermetically sealed armoured car with a patient showing full-on symptomatic coronavirus.

The bodyguards are there to take a bullet for the president, not to take one from him, but that was in effect what Trump was demanding they do for a photo-op.

Amid the ensuing outrage over his insouciance, Trump appeared not to appreciate the point: that he had shown no heed of the safety of others, even loyal public servants. His reaction only served to prove that same point. He did not grasp that these people had significance.

“It is reported that the Media is upset because I got into a secure vehicle to say thank you to the many fans and supporters who were standing outside of the hospital for many hours, and even days, to pay their respect to their President. If I didn’t do it, Media would say RUDE!!!”, Trump tweeted.

What stands out is the president’s sense that he was the victim once again – and the only other people who mattered were those who had shown their personal allegiance to him.

No one really thought that Trump would emerge chastened from his brush with the virus (if the encounter is truly over – his doctor has stressed he is not “out of the woods”). But not only was he unrepentant about the White House’s cavalier approach to masks and social distancing, he has reinforced it.

“Don’t be afraid of Covid,” he tweeted. “Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge.”

Entirely absent was any acknowledgement of the more than 200,000 dead, the many more suffering serious and long lasting symptoms – and the reality that some of the “really great drugs” he was given at Walter Reed hospital were experimental and way beyond the reach of ordinary patients.

These facts are evident to most Americans. In a new survey commissioned by CNN from the polling organisation SSRS, two-thirds of them said Trump acted irresponsibly in handling the risk of infection to himself and those around him. Joe Biden’s nationwide lead has widened further.

There is now a very real danger of a vicious cycle. Desperation fuels Trump’s unpopularity, which triggers more desperation. Americans are already exhausted by October surprises, and the nation is only five days into the month. The calendar is unfurling towards the 3 November vote with a president who has little to lose from gambling.

The principal victims of his lack of empathy so far have been the concentric circles of supporters around him. In the coming weeks the collateral damage from his panic is likely to spread further afield. The president is already openly calling his supporters to gather at the polls as “watchers” on election day, and primed them to expect a vote rigged against their leader.

No one doubts now that he would take chaos and bloodshed over defeat, and the implications may not stop at the nation’s shore, with the greatest fear being a combination of a foreign adversary seeking to exploit a weakened administration, and a commander in chief ready to do anything to avoid looking weak.

Trump's Derangement Syndrome. It's only going to get worse.

But least he's the anti-lefty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                DE,

The commentators are ALL Republicans. No Democrats are saying there is voter fraud by mail. Hell, they are fighting efforts to suppress the vote....see what GOV Abbott just did in Texas the other day to suppress voting by restricting the number of drop off boxes to one per county.

Yeah, there is a problem voting by mail....which is exactly what Trump did earlier this year in Florida.
                                Yes, the commentators are republican. It would seem the Democrat commentators say voter suppression.

One CT to complement the other CT

Both sides have now put out qualifiers should they lose.

Good stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X