The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden 75% of the delegate count.
    The fact that Sen. Sanders held on longer than the other interesting candidates should not be confused with his being a serious contender.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by tantalus View Post
      Well he is too old now. I guess it depends on your defintion of fringe. But it looks to me that he got pretty close and it required consolidation to stop him this time round.

The demographics will favour his spirtual successor and sometimes a great deal of change can occur very quickly. Covid and the economic damage it inflicts combined with rapid automation and a software eats everything/tech driven/labour light takeover of the economy offer potential catalysts that could terraform the landscape rapidly.
      As I said he did well in the screwy Iowa caucus system and then won in a home court game in New England.

Then he, and the rest of the field, ran into the Blue Wall in South Carolina. Once he hit the mainstream of the Democratic Party he was stopped cold. He picked up some crumbs but nothing major. And once Biden started showing serious momentum Bernie couldn't turn out his base...the Bernie Backers stayed home in droves.

Biden shows he knows his politics by reaching out to him & Warren to hopefully woo some of his supporters.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Bernie won pluralities in Nevada, Colorado, and California. He had respectable shares in a number of other states and probably would have done better had Warren not still been in the race.

To put in comparison, Bernie's vote share in 2020 eclipsed Romney's in 2008, and his vote share in 2016 eclipsed John McCain's in 2000.
        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
          Bernie won pluralities in Nevada, Colorado, and California. He had respectable shares in a number of other states and probably would have done better had Warren not still been in the race.

To put in comparison, Bernie's vote share in 2020 eclipsed Romney's in 2008, and his vote share in 2016 eclipsed John McCain's in 2000.
          And ended up with only 25% of the delegates. Again, his doing well in those states are not the least bit surprising...they match to his constituency. But in the mainstream Democratic areas he did not do as well. Trust me, I have been a staff member of the Democratic Party of Virginia for over 20 years. My siblings the same in NY, MA & CT...so were my parents. All five have run and been elected as Democrats for town or city wide office. They see the same thing. The mainstream of the party sees Bernie as an interloper as he did nothing for the national party or other Democratic candidates until the last 4 years...begrudgingly.

Give it 8-10 years and things can and will no doubt shift...but as of now he is not the mainstream of the party.
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            And ended up with only 25% of the delegates. Again, his doing well in those states are not the least bit surprising...they match to his constituency. But in the mainstream Democratic areas he did not do as well. Trust me, I have been a staff member of the Democratic Party of Virginia for over 20 years. My siblings the same in NY, MA & CT...so were my parents. All five have run and been elected as Democrats for town or city wide office. They see the same thing. The mainstream of the party sees Bernie as an interloper as he did nothing for the national party or other Democratic candidates until the last 4 years...begrudgingly.

Give it 8-10 years and things can and will no doubt shift...but as of now he is not the mainstream of the party.
            There is no doubt he is not the mainstream of the party. And is viewed by the power holders of the party as an outsider. But I think fringe doesnt quite capture it either. Too far in the other direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by tantalus View Post
              There is no doubt he is not the mainstream of the party. And is viewed by the power holders of the party as an outsider. But I think fringe doesnt quite capture it either. Too far in the other direction.
              Okay....fringe may be unfair.

I'll say minor wing of the party....and I am not denying that could be the majority in the party a decade from now. But for 2020 we are not there.
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Presidential Debate Moderators Include Fox News' Chris Wallace, C-SPAN's Steve Scully and NBC's Kristen Welker

Fox News’ Chris Wallace will serve as referee for this election season’s first presidential debate, it was announced on Wednesday by the Commission on Presidential Debates.

The first debate between incumbent President Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden will be held Tuesday, Sept. 29 at the Case Western Reserve University and Clinic in Cleveland.

The first debate will be divided into six segments of approximately 15 minutes each on major topics to be selected by the moderator and announced at least one week in advance.

The first vice presidential debate, between incumbent Mike Pence and Democratic nominee Kamala Harris, will be held Wednesday, Oct. 7 at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, and moderated by Susan Page, Washington Bureau Chief for USA Today.

The second, town hall-style presidential debate will be moderated by C-SPAN senior EP Steve Scully, and held Thursday, Oct. 15 at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts in Miami, Fla.

Last but not least, the third presidential debate will be moderated by NBC News’ Kristen Welker, and held Thursday, Oct. 22 at Belmont University in Nashville.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Ouch.

Comment

• A little bit about the contentious relationship between the Secret Service and Joe Biden.
                    https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...bbing-incident

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      A little bit about the contentious relationship between the Secret Service and Joe Biden.
                      https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...bbing-incident
                      "Zero Hedge" Oh man...what, was InfoWars down or something?

Funded by / Ownership

The website is registered in Bulgaria under the name Georgi Georgiev, a business partner of Krassimir Ivandjiiski.

According to Rationalwiki the only writer “conclusively” identified is “Dan Ivandjiiski, who conducts public interviews on behalf of Zero Hedge.” The blog generates revenue from online advertising.

Analysis / Bias

In a quote from the above New Yorker article they summarize the political stance of the blog, which Lokey told Bloomberg is: “Russia=good. Obama=idiot. Bashar al-Assad=benevolent leader. John Kerry= dunce. Vladimir Putin=greatest leader in the history of statecraft.”

Zero Hedge’s content has been classified as “alt-right” and has been criticized for presenting conspiracy theories.

In review, Zero Hedge publishes pro-right wing/Trump articles such as Pat Buchanan: “Trump Calls Off Cold War II.” As well as fake news stories regarding liberals: Anti-Trump Protesters Bused Into Austin, Chicago.

Editorial content is written under the pseudonym Tyler Durden and usually focuses on conspiracies related to economic collapse. Zero Hedge sources to factually mixed think tanks such as The Mises Institute, which promotes Austrian (Anarcho-Capitalism) economics. Finally, during the Coronavirus outbreak of 2020 they have frequently promoted false and misleading information as evidenced by failed fact checks below.

Failed Fact Checks (A short list of many)

Says China “stole Coronavirus from Canada and weaponized it into a Bioweapon.” – False
                      Is a Craigslist ad proof that counterprotesters at a white nationalist rally were “paid to make chaos”? – False
                      It’s now against the law in California to shower and do laundry on the same day. – Mostly False
                      A “newly uncovered” photograph reveals Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was crying over an empty parking lot, not detained migrant children, at a protest in Texas. – False
                      “The Ukrainian government just indicted the Burisma gas company & named Hunter Biden for accepting millions of dollars from a slush fund.” – False
                      During the last hundred years the temperature is increased about 0.1°C because of carbon dioxide. The human contribution was about 0.01°C. – Incorrect
                      New Study Confirms EVs Considerably Worse For Climate Than Diesel Cars – Inaccurate
                      This coronavirus genome contained sequences of another virus […] the HIV virus (AIDS virus) – Inaccurate
                      Coronavirus contains ‘HIV insertions’ – Inaccurate

Overall, we rate Zero Hedge an extreme right biased conspiracy website based on the promotion of false/misleading/debunked information that routinely denigrates the left. (8/18/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 7/29/2020)
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Sweet fancy Moses....

Washington Times Numerous Failed Fact Checks, Poor Sourcing, Lack of Transparency

Judicial Watch Extreme Right, Conspiracy, Propaganda, Numerous Failed Fact Checks

USSA News Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to a few failed fact checks and use of poor sources

USA Politics Today Strong right wing bias in story selection and uses loaded words in headlines and articles. This source also sometimes sources to other right wing sources and has had a false claim with fact checking.

The Gateway Pundit Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Nationalism, Some Fake News

Citizen Free Press Right Biased for story selection and Mixed for factual reporting due to use of some poor sources and a complete lack of transparency.

"Sources"

Well, this does explain a great deal about your worldview.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post

too many unknowns on the Democratic side to make this call.

IE, say Biden loses in November. in that case, I definitely agree that 2024 there's a significant chance that the Dems nominate a lefty, because this will be two elections now that they've had to shut up and color for the establishment choice on arguments of "electability", and lost anyway.

but if Biden wins? then absent Harris standing in the middle of 5th Avenue and shooting someone, she WILL be the Democratic nominee if Biden doesn't feel like a second term. same with 2028.
                          If Biden loses in November it will be because the mid-western states were too scared of far-left politics (riots hitting too close to home with little condemnation (and active support in some cases from the Dems.) It won't be because Biden wasn't left enough. So you seem to be suggesting that if he loses, the Dems will take the wrong lessons from the loss and screw themselves over for the next couple of elections too by doubling down on their mistakes.
                          Last edited by Firestorm; 08 Sep 20,, 19:15.

Comment

• To put it in more blunt words, a platform of Capitalism is evil, critical race theory, Words are violence but property destruction is not etc. will not help the Dems win Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Biden has a chance to win those states because he does not run on such a platform (although walking the tighrope has been difficult for him because of the vocal lefties). Even a third-rate Republican candidate could wipe the floor with someone like AOC in those states, if she had been the nominee for example. I sincerely hope the Dems don't think it will be the other way around in 2024 if Biden doesn't make it this year.
                            Last edited by Firestorm; 08 Sep 20,, 19:16.

Comment

Working...
                            X