The US 2020 Presidential Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
    is it really "punting" when it has been clear to all since 2016 that GOP principles are defined by Trump at his whim?

the only surprise to me in the RNC is that Nikki Haley chose such a prominent role. if Trump goes down in November, this will hang around her neck for a long time to come.
    "Principles"? What does that mean in the GOPer context?
    Nothing. Not a thing.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      It's remarkable how easily and comfortably a group of people can obsequiously bow before a demagogue, swear fealty to him, allow their identity to be replaced with his, and proudly announce that fact.

Has anybody checked to see if we're actually in the year 2020?
      "Imagine the life you want to have -- one with a great job, a beautiful home, and a perfect family," said Trump Jr. "You can have it. ... Imagine a world where the evils of communism and radical Islamic terrorism are not given a chance to spread -- where heroes are celebrated and the good guys win. You can have it."

You mean it isn't true? I can't have it?

What world is Donny boy living in? Fantasia.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        "Imagine the life you want to have -- one with a great job, a beautiful home, and a perfect family," said Trump Jr. "You can have it. ... Imagine a world where the evils of communism and radical Islamic terrorism are not given a chance to spread -- where heroes are celebrated and the good guys win. You can have it."

You mean it isn't true? I can't have it?

What world is Donny boy living in? Fantasia.
        Only that "stable genius", Donald Trump, "the Chosen One" in his "great and unmatched wisdom", he "alone can fix it"
        “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
        ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Republican National Convention Speaker Cancelled After Boosting QAnon Conspiracy Theory About Jewish Plot to Enslave the World

One of the speakers for the second night of the Republican National Convention was pulled from the program after The Daily Beast surfaced a tweet from her, earlier in the day, urging her followers to investigate a supposed Jewish plot to enslave the world.

“Do yourself a favor and read this thread,” Mary Ann Mendoza, who is a member of the Trump campaign’s advisory board, tweeted to her more than 40,000 followers Tuesday morning.

Mendoza, an “angel mom,” was scheduled to speak Tuesday about her son’s 2014 death at the hands of a drunk driver who was in the country illegally. But a Republican source familiar with the programming said the speech had been cancelled amid uproar over her tweet.

Hours earlier, Mendoza had linked to a lengthy thread from a QAnon conspiracy theorist that laid out a fevered, anti-Semitic view of the world. In its telling, the Rothschilds—a famous Jewish banking family from Germany—created a plot to terrorize non-Jewish “goyim,” with purported details of their scheme that included plans to “make the goyim destroy each other” and “rob the goyim of their landed properties.”

Drawing on more than a century’s worth of anti-Semitic hoaxes and smears, the thread claimed that malevolent Jewish forces in the banking industry are out to enslave non-Jews and promote world wars. Riddled with QAnon references, the thread from Twitter user @WarNuse claimed that the Titanic had been sunk to protect the Federal Reserve, and that every president between John F. Kennedy and Donald Trump was a “slave president” in the thrall of a global cabal.

The thread also promoted “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion,” an anti-Semitic hoax popular in Nazi Germany, and claimed that its allegations about a Jewish plot to control the world are real.

“The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is not a fabrication,” the thread that Mendoza shared reads. “And, it certainly is not anti-semetic (sic) to point out this fact.”

After The Daily Beast published this article, Mendoza deleted her tweet and tweeted an apology “for not paying attention to the intent of the whole message.” While Mendoza had initially urged her followers to read the thread, she claimed on Tuesday evening that she had not read all of the posts in the thread.

“That does not reflect my feelings or personal thoughts whatsoever,” Mendoza tweeted.

Though her speech was cancelled, the Mendoza episode is just the latest example of a convention speaker with a checkered background. As the Republican festivities enter their second night, several scheduled speakers have already been exposed for holding bizarre beliefs.

Public school teacher Rebecca Friedrichs, who spoke at the convention on Monday, has claimed that public schools use their curricula to “groom” children for sexual predators like Jeffrey Epstein. On Tuesday, Vice reported that anti-abortion activist and convention speaker Abby Johnson praised the idea of police racially profiling her biracial son as “smart.”

“Statistically, my brown son is more likely to commit a violent offense over my white sons,” Johnson said in a video.

Mendoza’s tweet urging her followers to check out the anti-Semitic thread came on the eve of her Republican convention appearance. While the thread includes extensive anti-Semitism and references to QAnon, it also alleges that Hillary Clinton is a “Satanic High Priestess” and that Barack Obama’s Washington home smells like sulfur — a reference to the idea, popular with InfoWars host Alex Jones, that Obama somehow smells like sulfur because he’s connected to the devil and Hell.

The Trump campaign and Mendoza didn’t respond to requests for comment. Mendoza is also on the advisory board of We Build the Wall, the privately funded border wall effort whose leaders, including former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, were recently indicted for fraud.

In addition to the thread she encouraged people to read, Mendoza also has posted her own tweets that push conspiracy theories about Democratic billionaire George Soros. One tweet from June 2019 claimed that Soros was pushing for more immigration to install a “one world government.”

“These are the violent types of people that SOROS, the ROTHCHILDS (sic) and the United Nations have NO problem using as pawns and uprooting them and bringing them to the USA to accomplish their ONE WORLD GOVT!” Mendoza tweeted.

Mendoza has alleged that public health advice advocating for mask-wearing are using the “Soros playbook,” and claimed that Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government’s lead infectious disease expert, is paid by Soros.

In a Sept. 2019 tweet, Mendoza called Soros, a Holocaust survivor, a “Nazi.”

“This Nazi is still at it & the progressives love him for it,” she wrote.

Dunno why they pulled her from the convention. She's the poster child for the new and improved Republican Party.
          “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
          ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            Dunno why they pulled her from the convention. She's the poster child for the new and improved Republican Party.
            Rumour is that after her convention speech Kimberly Guilfoyle has been offered a job reading news for North Korean state TV. She appears to have lifted her 'screaming while worshipping' routine from there.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              Rumour is that after her convention speech Kimberly Guilfoyle has been offered a job reading news for North Korean state TV. She appears to have lifted her 'screaming while worshipping' routine from there.
              Hard to believe that she was married to Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, and god forbid the Mayor of "That" city out on the West Coast. Can you spell c-l-i-m-b-e-r?

Comment

• Ms. Guilfoyle was born in San Francisco, daughter of a migrant and one who many in the Trumpet's pay do not consider real Americans: a woman from Puerto Rico. Indeed, she herself seems to hold that view, since she describes herself as a "first generation American," (but not an anchor baby).

In 2004, she moved to New York and it all went poorly after that. Fox, O'Reilly, Hannity … and eventually, The Trumpet, and DJ Junior.

It seems she's also helping spread COVID-19 …
                Trust me?
                I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

I also don't think Trump is a libertarian, but Trump being in office and voting for Republicans more broadly protects my liberty more than Joe Biden and Democrats, who are currently using their social and economic power to try to eliminate views they don't like, have explicitly stated that they no longer agree with the "even Nazis should be allowed to protest because the 1st Amendment," and are openly stating that they want to rig every single US political institution from gerry-mandered districts to packing the Court to admitting new states in order to get their policies passed. Meanwhile they are increasingly radicalizing, both along policy and activist dimensions, with their most passionate activists regularly harassing random residents in their homes, wheeling gulliotines through neighborhoods, vaguely and openly threatening to burn down gentrified neighborhoods and white suburbs, while their local leaders do basically nothing besides posture and allow their police departments to be defunded.

While I sympathize with concerns about Trump and do not really blame anyone for not wanting to vote for him, and I absolutely sympathize with people who think policy should be something beyond "tax cuts forever!," I am not voting for a Democrat.
                  Can you break this down for me.

On the policy side what disturbs you most about the democrats?

And on the social-cultural-activist side, same question?

Comment

• I have a thought experiment that leads to a question if anyone is willing to engage.

Imagine the white house is occupied by a run of the mill republican. Covid strikes. Its a struggle to manage because of testing misfires, social and political dyfunction, structural challeges within american society, politically, socially/culturally and economically, and the fact this is a god damn contagious virus. The economy tanks.

Do you select Joe Biden as the challenger?

And if yes, what does he run on? What are his central messages to the electorate?

In this scenario, there is no Donald Trump but you have retained the knowledge that you learned by the fact that he actually managed to get elected, your theory of the case. The conditions that facilitated his rise in 2016 remain unaltered.

Comment

• How Trump could pull off another upset

It feels like August of 2016 all over again. Polls show Donald Trump losing big. Pundits proclaim he can't win. Reporters sneer at Trump voters on Twitter and cable.

Why it matters: There are several signs that should give the Trump-is-toast self-assured pause.
                      • He’s doing better in some swing-state polls than he was at this point in 2016. And his floor of support holds strong, regardless of what he says or does.
                      • Not only is the stock market on fire, but a lot of blue-collar workers in building, plumbing and other manual crafts are doing quite well, too.

Trump’s big bet is that there are a lot of working class voters, especially in rural areas, who did not vote in 2016 but will this time.
                      • His other bet is that months of dumping on Joe Biden, often with lies or wild hyperbole, will do what he did to Hillary Clinton: Make the Democratic nominee seem slightly more unpalatable than himself.

The New York Times profiled a swath of Trump's steadfast supporters who "outlined myriad reasons for wanting to re-elect him, ranging from the pragmatic ... to a gut-level attraction to his hard-nosed personality."
                      • And the "social desirability" factor in polling — do we tell the blunt truth? — is a huge unknown this year because of the new attention to racial issues.

Behind the scenes: People in Trump’s orbit feel much better about the race than they did in mid-June.
                      • These officials feel the operation is becoming more disciplined, and is more centered around a message — that Biden and Sen. Kamala Harris embrace leftist policies, and won’t stand up to the violent excesses of the far left.

A few caveats: Biden has some strengths that Clinton didn’t. He's viewed more favorably — and is stronger among seniors, eating into Trump’s sweet spot.
                      • Women and college-educated whites have continued drifting away from Trump.
                      • And Trump now has a record to defend, so he doesn’t have the outsider factor that he exploited last time.

Although Biden isn’t as polarizing as Clinton inside or outside the Democratic Party, the Black Lives Matter movement and calls for social justice and progressive changes are tugging Biden to the left.
                      • President Obama recently told The New Yorker's Evan Osnos: "If you look at Joe Biden’s goals and Bernie Sanders’s goals, they’re not that different, from a forty-thousand-foot level."

Remember: A recent Wall Street Journal/NBC poll found 13% of voters remain "in play," enough to tip the election.
                      • It also found Trump’s standing with Hispanics is as good if not better than 2016 — and had improved his image by 20 points among whites, who are more than 70% of the electorate.

Not only are Trump's poll numbers improving, but between relentless voter suppression by the GOP, aided and abetted by Louis DeJoy and the probability of COVID-19 keeping people away from polling centers and of course the Electoral College once again rescuing Trump from a multi-million popular vote deficit, it is entirely possible that he will obtain another four years.
                      ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

is it really "punting" when it has been clear to all since 2016 that GOP principles are defined by Trump at his whim?

the only surprise to me in the TNC is that Nikki Haley chose such a prominent role. if Trump goes down in November, this will hang around her neck for a long time to come.
                        I made a change which is more accurate today. RIP RNC...

Comment

• [QUOTE=tantalus;1068141]

Imagine the white house is occupied by a run of the mill republican. Covid strikes. Its a struggle to manage because of testing misfires, social and political dyfunction, structural challeges within american society, politically, socially/culturally and economically, and the fact this is a god damn contagious virus. The economy tanks.
                          Just to be clear: sane, rational, competent, empathic, sympathetic, pro-science leadership from a GOPer White House.
                          Is that the scenario? Do we get the Easter Bunny, too, or is that extra?

Do you select Joe Biden as the challenger?

Is this a trick question?
                          The last Democratic VP is almost always going to be the front runner when going up against a GOPer-held White House.
                          Truman.
                          Humphrey.
                          Mondale.
                          Gore.
                          Biden.
                          See the pattern?

And if yes, what does he run on?
                          Two separate questions.
                          What he runs on is the Democratic Platform, ca. 2016. He runs on his record in his previous job, and his character, and his values.
                          Democrats in the 21st century always, without exception, are the values candidates.

What are his central messages to the electorate?
                          Things are a mess.
                          Elect me, and things will get better.
                          Trust me?
                          I'm an economist!

Comment

• with any run of the mill candidate, Dem or Republican, the current COVID situation would have been significantly better.

the economy wouldn't have tanked as much.

however, that's all beyond the timeline of the actual Dem primary. the entire race was already down to Sanders vs Biden by end of February 2020, and had already decisively swung to Biden's favor by mid-March. at this point in time, the US was just at the beginning of feeling the COVID pain.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post

Just to be clear: sane, rational, competent, empathic, sympathetic, pro-science leadership from a GOPer White House.
                              Is that the scenario? Do we get the Easter Bunny, too, or is that extra?
                              Iam guessing you wouldnt view that as run of the mill.

I meant...A respectable person with a different world view.

Originally posted by DOR View Post

Is this a trick question?
                              The last Democratic VP is almost always going to be the front runner when going up against a GOPer-held White House.
                              Truman.
                              Humphrey.
                              Mondale.
                              Gore.
                              Biden.
                              See the pattern?

No trick. I am interested in your perspective. Or any democrats perspective.

Not the front runner but the best choice...A vp is picked for a specific set of reasons for a specific moment. Its a start but not an end for picking the best candidate for this moment.

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                              Two separate questions.
                              What he runs on is the Democratic Platform, ca. 2016. He runs on his record in his previous job, and his character, and his values.
                              Democrats in the 21st century always, without exception, are the values candidates.

Things are a mess.
                              Elect me, and things will get better.
                              I am unclear what you mean by the value candidates ?

Comment

with any run of the mill candidate, Dem or Republican, the current COVID situation would have been significantly better.

the economy wouldn't have tanked as much.

however, that's all beyond the timeline of the actual Dem primary. the entire race was already down to Sanders vs Biden by end of February 2020, and had already decisively swung to Biden's favor by mid-March. at this point in time, the US was just at the beginning of feeling the COVID pain.
                                Feels like an opportunity missed for sanders and biden to have placed out contrasting visions for a different society post covid.

It's not clear to me how much better the economy would have been. The health situation drastically so, iam guessing over the long run that would have paid itself back in the economy but it would have required a more economically damaging lockdown initially.

It seems that many americans are more comfortable with a higher death toll in exchange for more individual freedoms and the prospect of more economic activity.

Comment

Working...
                                X