Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The US 2020 Presidential Election

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by JRT View Post
    Perhaps should also included Bill Weld in the race.

    That Julian Castro guy might be the anti-establishment candidate that's so sorely needed. He sounds a bit like Bernie Sanders with his ideas but he's likely smart enough to keep his 'social responsibility' cards close to his chest. If the Dems get any notion that he's a socialist then he will be toast.

    Reminds of Obama who was promoting social responsibility but became toast because of the Repubs and the extreme right's demonizing campaign. And to some extent of the Dems' establishment not being ready for him and his ideas.

    And the rest of the Dems so far are just the same old, same old.

    Or does anybody see a flash in the pan in any of those candidates?

    Comment


    • #32
      Looks like the left's favourite media (MSNBC) is being a bit proactive on it's suspicions of Biden crashing and burning.

      They're starting to say some good things about Bernie Sanders now! It seems that they are coming to the realization that if Joe does crash and burn, the next choice of the huge majority of the left is going to be Bernie. (Joe will crash and burn.)

      Then they showed a buch of charts to prove that the Dem party has indeed moved quite far left. And so all the Dem also-ran candidates are starting to talk social policy, or what a lot of the US right calls socialism.

      prediction: By Monday the also-rans will be trying to trump Bernie on Bernie-ism.
      eg. socialism.

      What a mess for the Dems! The most leftist of the lot is going to be the sweetheart for a while. He/she is going to have to out-Bernie, Bernie.
      Last edited by montgomery; 06 Apr 19,, 18:30.

      Comment


      • #33
        The latest from Trump:

        Trump wants Barr to investigate the 'collusion' and 'obstruction' accusations as an attempted coup.

        Anybody, ya think?

        Comment


        • #34
          A nod to Trump.

          https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...call-2020.html

          Comment


          • #35
            any guesses this early are effectively worthless; too many variables in play.

            Trump does have advantages he did not have the first time around: this time the Republican party apparatus will be with him to the hilt, instead of opposing him most of the way. there will be a more organized campaign effort, although I suspect Trump will self-sabotage a lot of this.

            Trump also has a lot more cash on hand, although how much that matters is up in the air (more can't hurt, though).
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

            Comment


            • #36
              I really think the Democrats have to select someone other than Bernie Sanders. Sanders will lose and what the US and the rest of the world needs is Trumpkin gone.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by snapper View Post
                I really think the Democrats have to select someone other than Bernie Sanders. Sanders will lose and what the US and the rest of the world needs is Trumpkin gone.
                Agreed, he's unelectable. The DNC cutting his throat last election was unbelievably stupid for all kinds of reasons...but I guess they wanted to make that Hillary "My Turn Now" Clinton locked down that nomination.

                The problem is, they don't have an all-star warming up in the bullpen la Barack Obama in 2004. Who has any name recognition? Nobody that I can think of.
                Although, as Astralis said, it's still much too early. So much can happen between now and the next election.

                On the opposite side of the coin, independents who voted for Trump on the ridiculously naive belief that the Office would somehow 'tame' Trump, have seen exactly how well that worked out.
                TwentyFiveFortyFive

                Comment


                • #38
                  I would be happy with Biden as a one term President.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by snapper View Post
                    I would be happy with Biden as a one term President.
                    He's probably the only one with a decent shot at it.
                    TwentyFiveFortyFive

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

                      On the opposite side of the coin, independents who voted for Trump on the ridiculously naive belief that the Office would somehow 'tame' Trump, have seen exactly how well that worked out.
                      Exactly as some of the states he needed to win for the Electoral College he won by single digit percents. I would hazard a guess that a shift of 3% would throw things into a tizzy for him.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        He's probably the only one with a decent shot at it.
                        i don't think it's -quite- that black and white.

                        Trump's victory in 2016 was possible because of three things; a highly energized GOP base, complacency of the Dem base, and antipathy towards perceived the perceived Clinton continuation of the "establishment" in a bunch of Dem swing voters.

                        there's some people i just don't think can knife-fight with Trump, like Warren or Klobuchar; Sanders I worry about as well (although not quite to the same level).

                        but folks like Buttigieg or Harris or Biden, I think they can do it. someone younger; the Dems need to start the process of re-generating the party, and a bunch of septuagenarians ain't it.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I'd get behind Mike Sparks for President if it would get rid of the thing we have now
                          Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            i don't think it's -quite- that black and white.

                            Trump's victory in 2016 was possible because of three things; a highly energized GOP base, complacency of the Dem base, and antipathy towards perceived the perceived Clinton continuation of the "establishment" in a bunch of Dem swing voters.

                            there's some people i just don't think can knife-fight with Trump, like Warren or Klobuchar; Sanders I worry about as well (although not quite to the same level).

                            but folks like Buttigieg or Harris or Biden, I think they can do it. someone younger; the Dems need to start the process of re-generating the party, and a bunch of septuagenarians ain't it.
                            I guess that calls for either Indiana Jones or Crocodile Dundee.

                            I'm Ok with either of them...

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              but Mike Sparks promises a M113 in every pot...
                              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                                I'd get behind Mike Sparks for President if it would get rid of the thing we have now
                                He'd probably replace Air Force One with an actual flying M113: "Air Force Gavin"
                                "Draft beer, not people."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X