The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joe,

Looks like the GOP may be turning on at least one white supremacist in their midst. That's really odd. He's completely against abortion, hates immigrants (thinks Mexicans are "dirt")

Huh, and look at what that guy Jacob Hall said about him: “Congressman King won’t go along to get along. He’s his own man. He has convictions and principles and he’s not afraid to stand on them,”
    “The reality is the people in the 4th District know Congressman Steve King. They know his principles. They know his values. They know his beliefs,”

Who else does that sound like?
    wouldn't read too into this as some sort of triumph. King made the mistake of yelling stuff out loud which should have just remained a dog-whistle-- and he's not Trump.

his fellow GOP members stripped him of his Congressional powers because he just wouldn't shut up, despite repeated entreaties. so he literally did nothing, and constituents finally got tired of paying a salary for it.

his replacement is already talking about how he will now have the power to effectively support the MAGA agenda.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• George Will belongs to the big-tent Reagan Republican era-- and his side of the tent was the even older school Ivy League educated, country club William Buckley type.

that Republican Party is dead.
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Basically that, he had outsized influence in a totally different era in which the Democrats already had political responses 30 years ago, was dying 15-20 years ago, on life-support 10 years ago, and absolutely dead now.

Trying to do the same thing you did to win an electorate which wasn't even alive when Reagan first won office is basically pointless. You can argue "blah blah blah Trump," and that's wrong, but George Will doubts AGW and certain culture war narratives, which means he will be persona non-grata among the new electorate, which means he is an electoral liability
        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
          joe,

wouldn't read too into this as some sort of triumph. King made the mistake of yelling stuff out loud which should have just remained a dog-whistle-- and he's not Trump.

his fellow GOP members stripped him of his Congressional powers because he just wouldn't shut up, despite repeated entreaties. so he literally did nothing, and constituents finally got tired of paying a salary for it.

his replacement is already talking about how he will now have the power to effectively support the MAGA agenda.
          Oh I don't really read too much into it. I point it out only because it's an outlier, certainly not a trend.
          The GOP has become, almost unabashedly, a party of authoritarian bigots and kleptocrats. How else to explain their lickspittle fawning over a "man" like Donald Trump.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Basically that, he had outsized influence in a totally different era in which the Democrats already had political responses 30 years ago, was dying 15-20 years ago, on life-support 10 years ago, and absolutely dead now.

Trying to do the same thing you did to win an electorate which wasn't even alive when Reagan first won office is basically pointless. You can argue "blah blah blah Trump," and that's wrong, but George Will doubts AGW and certain culture war narratives, which means he will be persona non-grata among the new electorate, which means he is an electoral liability
            and the end result will be that even if Trump is crushed this November, Junior will be waiting on the sidelines to carry that torch.

you can only reform the Party if there's actually a reformist faction within that can take over.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
              and the end result will be that even if Trump is crushed this November, Junior will be waiting on the sidelines to carry that torch.

you can only reform the Party if there's actually a reformist faction within that can take over.
              You would think they would be smart enough to read the tea leaves should Trump be eliminated. Come to 2028 election some states that were red in 2016, and are now purple for 2020, will stand a strong chance of being blue in 2028. The way Texas is going given that 80,000 Californians moved there in 2019 alone should give a clue as to what to expect. Texas blue then where does the Republican Party turn? Same for Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. Florida by 2032?

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                You would think they would be smart enough to read the tea leaves should Trump be eliminated. Come to 2028 election some states that were red in 2016, and are now purple for 2020, will stand a strong chance of being blue in 2028. The way Texas is going given that 80,000 Californians moved there in 2019 alone should give a clue as to what to expect. Texas blue then where does the Republican Party turn? Same for Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. Florida by 2032?
                So you are saying that Californians are a cancer to Texas? After their policies have turned California into a place that they despised so much that they had to move and that they plan to turn Texas into a similar mess?

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                  So you are saying that Californians are a cancer to Texas? After their policies have turned California into a place that they despised so much that they had to move and that they plan to turn Texas into a similar mess?
                  Did I really say that? Let me check back. Nope, you do have a nasty habit of assigning false stories to people.

I will say with job transfers and cheaper housing we will buy the state. You're next. Better hope for a mythical vaccine...LOL.

Comment

• Isn't California like the 6th biggest economy in the world?

I've noticed a lot of red supporters really taking blue states and their cities to task since Trump got elected. Which is curious because when you start looking at, not only pictures, but the data and statistics behind some of the the great red states of the south, I wonder what I'm missing? Cheap golf I'll say, but I mean some of those places are essentially third world counties.

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      No I'm pretty sure he's saying that Donald Trump is a cancer to the United States. And plenty of other people are saying that too.

Still drinking that Kool-Aid and happy that he's the "anti-lefty"?
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        I guess the question is "who is they"? The GOP establishment did not want Trump, they fought Trump, and they lost when GOP voters selected Trump anyways. The majority of GOP voters still back Trump, so dumping Trump means effectively dumping the voters, which is not going to be a good look.

It's not impossible to get beyond this: Trump himself attacked Dubya when he was running. And he was booed, because Dubya was still Our Guy in the GOP. And Trump won despite that. But it's still politically unwise.

GOP Voters aren't going to go along with dumping Trump unless the Fox News primetime lineup leads it.

Originally posted by statquo View Post
                        Isn't California like the 6th biggest economy in the world?

I've noticed a lot of red supporters really taking blue states and their cities to task since Trump got elected. Which is curious because when you start looking at, not only pictures, but the data and statistics behind some of the the great red states of the south, I wonder what I'm missing? Cheap golf I'll say, but I mean some of those places are essentially third world counties.
                        The South by and large is pretty poorly run but Texas is generally pretty well run and NC has a decent economy, both bringing in a lot of Blue Staters. Tennessee does well for itself and is also attracting a lot of Blue Staters. Atlanta is a pretty prosperous city, again attracting Blues. If I had to pick the next runner-up, might be Arkansas....

Well-run Red States would probably need to include Nebraska and Utah.
                        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                          I guess the question is "who is they"? The GOP establishment did not want Trump, they fought Trump, and they lost when GOP voters selected Trump anyways. The majority of GOP voters still back Trump, so dumping Trump means effectively dumping the voters, which is not going to be a good look.

It's not impossible to get beyond this: Trump himself attacked Dubya when he was running. And he was booed, because Dubya was still Our Guy in the GOP. And Trump won despite that. But it's still politically unwise.

GOP Voters aren't going to go along with dumping Trump unless the Fox News primetime lineup leads it.
                          The GOP didn't abandon Nixon during the whole 2 years of Watergate. They stood in front of him like a steel curtain....until they suddenly didn't, and even after Nixon resigned in disgrace, he retained a 25% approval rating.

Right now, former high-ranking military members like Mullen and Mattis have bluntly savaged Trump with op-eds. Former President Bush has done the same (albeit much more obliquely) and a Biden endorsement , unthinkable just a few months ago, could be around the corner.

Trump is becoming more and more unhinged, staging a horrific photo op that backfired spectacularly, and lashing out at some very high-profile conservative heroes and of course lying blatantly the whole time.

Just like Nixon, GOP will dump Trump when the moment is right. If they've got any sense of survival, that is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2020-06-03-at-21.30.58 (1).png
Views:	1
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	1478969

Comment

• Originally posted by statquo View Post
                            Isn't California like the 6th biggest economy in the world?

#5 to be exact

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

The South by and large is pretty poorly run but Texas is generally pretty well run and NC has a decent economy, both bringing in a lot of Blue Staters. Tennessee does well for itself and is also attracting a lot of Blue Staters. Atlanta is a pretty prosperous city, again attracting Blues. If I had to pick the next runner-up, might be Arkansas....

Well-run Red States would probably need to include Nebraska and Utah.
                              The draw in those areas are concentrated in certain areas...Texas is metro Austin and some Houston. Not too much Dallas. NC tends to be the Triangle and some Charlotte...rest of the state is desolate. TN is Knoxville and Nashville southward towards Spring Hill...big time medical insurance & services companies.

You get outside of those bubbles and the schools suck...heck, here in Virginia it is often much the same story.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

[ATTACH]48662[/ATTACH]
                                Funny I don't remember Lance Corporal Trump. Mattis was known as Mad Dog since the early 2000s

Comment

Working...
                                X