The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snapper,

I understand that she is out of the race now anyway. I would never have voted for her even had I could have.
    really, if your opposition is Trump? I heartily detest Sanders and his ilk, but I'd vote for him if he turns out to be the nominee.

is probably more of a hawk on foreign policy than Obama was
    not sure about that. he tried to get Obama to call off the OBL raid, and he pushed hard for Obama to withdraw from Afghanistan.

that said, I'll vote for him over Trump...or Sanders.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
      Just echoing the poor woman.
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uegqTj3SHO4
      I am no Warren fan but has anyone ever told you that your pathetic trolling is a waste of serious peoples time. Well now they have - and that by a Lady, not a woman as perhaps you might prefer to call the other human sex that is reproductive.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
        snapper,

really, if your opposition is Trump? I heartily detest Sanders and his ilk, but I'd vote for him if he turns out to be the nominee.
        Yes I believe Biden can and will beat Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
          I am no Warren fan but has anyone ever told you that your pathetic trolling is a waste of serious peoples time. Well now they have - and that by a Lady, not a woman as perhaps you might prefer to call the other human sex that is reproductive.
          Hey that is quite similar to his troll on Buttigieg where he makes the sly comment "slipping out the back door."

I mean if he doesn't like gays then why not come right out and say.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            Hey that is quite similar to his troll on Buttigieg where he makes the sly comment "slipping out the back door."

I mean if he doesn't like gays then why not come right out and say.
            I wasn't going to feed him on that one, but...yeah.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Double entendres, nothing more. He had not yet officially announced at the time of the post. Would exit stage? been more acceptable to the overly sensitive?
              What folks do behind closed doors is their business. I couldn’t care less.

Comment

• Trump's mental state — not Biden's — is the real concern, mental health professionals say

Mental health professionals who have expressed concern over what they see as Donald Trump’s declining faculties say that similar fears about Joe Biden’s are overblown.

“A few stumbled words are not the same as the extreme danger that result from a list of signs that Donald Trump has shown,” Bandy Lee, a psychiatrist on the faculty at the Yale School of Medicine, told Yahoo News, “and none of them apply to Joe Biden.”

Lee edited a collection of essays written by 27 mental health professionals titled “The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump,” which detailed what the authors see as the risks posed by a leader who they regard as mentally and emotionally unfit for the most powerful office in the world.

Yet since Biden’s reemergence as a front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, Lee has been flooded by requests to assess the former vice president’s string of stumbles in public appearances. In response, she published a piece on Medium correcting what she sees as the false equivalence between Trump’s “mental instability” and Biden’s occasional gaffes.

Trump frequently misstates or invents statistics or facts in his speeches, and in remarks last year seemed confused on the birthplace of his own father, saying he was born in Germany. (It was the Bronx.) Biden bungled an appeal for campaign volunteers at a debate last year, and recently shared what appeared to be a false memory of being “arrested on the streets of Soweto,” in South Africa, on his way to visit Nelson Mandela. (He was briefly detained at an airport during an official visit, but not arrested.)

“None of them are catastrophically alarming the way the signs have been with Donald Trump. I think there needs to be a measure of proportion here. On the one hand, we have such mental instability and such great cognitive decline as well as neurological signs that show imminent risk to the entire human civilization, compared with some gaffes perhaps. If we’re not addressing the former, why are we even talking about the latter?”

To be sure, one reason the topic of Biden’s mental capacity has become an issue in the campaign is that he has often struggled to express himself at campaign events and debates. But Biden, who has struggled with a stutter since childhood, has been prone to bouts of inarticulateness for decades.

If he goes on to win the presidency, Biden would be, at 78, the oldest American ever sworn into office. Trump turns 74 in June.

Biden himself has said that discussing a candidate’s cognitive capacity is not off limits.

“It would be a totally legitimate thing for people to say, Let’s look at Biden. He would be the oldest guy to ever be president. See what kind of shape he’s in, mentally, physically and the rest,” Biden told PBS in a January interview.

But another reason for the renewed focus on Biden’s mental acuity is that supporters of his political rivals, Trump and Bernie Sanders, have been promoting it as an issue on social media.

Mental health professionals tend to draw a distinction between Biden’s onstage missteps and what some of them regard as Trump’s propensity to bend reality to his purposes.

Biden “digresses and gets tangential, that’s not cognitive decline,” Lynne Meyer, a California psychologist told Yahoo News. “Trump’s cognitive decline or problems are that he doesn’t even seem to have comprehension of reality. That’s what it looks like.”

In 2018, Meyer joined more than 70 other mental health professionals in signing a letter to Trump’s then-physician Randy Jackson requesting that the president be given a mental health evaluation.

“When you see a person that can’t even articulate words, and it doesn’t happen just once and doesn’t remember names — Tim Apple, or whatever,” Meyer said. “I don’t see the same thing with Biden.”

Barbara Kaufman, a psychologist in Maryland, agreed that Trump’s mental condition was a far bigger threat to the country than Biden’s.

“His mental illnesses have much more of an impact and are much more dangerous than what Biden has,” Kaufman said.

In December, Biden made public three pages of his medical history, including his blood pressure (128/84) and cholesterol (126). “Vice President Biden is a healthy, vigorous, 77-year-old male, who is fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency, to include those as Chief Executive, Head of State and Commander in Chief,” Biden’s doctor, Kevin O’Connor, wrote.

Sanders, who was briefly hospitalized after a heart attack in October, promised to release his medical records before the start of the primaries, but then said he had changed his mind. In December, he released three letters from doctors saying he was in good health. His blood pressure (102/56) was even lower than Biden’s, and both candidates were almost the same height (about six feet) and weight (178 for Biden, 174 for Sanders).

The records Biden released did not address his mental health or questions about cognitive decline.

While Lee emphasizes that Trump’s psyche is the much larger issue, she acknowledges that all those who seek the highest office in the land need to be evaluated in terms of mental health.

“It’s not an absent observation. Some of it may happen with normal decline. Others may be a warning sign, but we don’t know that without an examination,” Lee said. “But still, I would emphasize that I would give attention to the overwhelming danger that we have before us. Until that is addressed, or unless that is addressed, I personally do not wish to hear about Joe Biden.”

“Trump’s cognitive decline or problems are that he doesn’t even seem to have comprehension of reality. That’s what cognitive decline looks like."
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  Trump's mental state — not Biden's — is the real concern, mental health professionals say
                  Ol' Uncle Joe Biden agrees with that, or at least he thinks he may have agreed with that, or maybe said that, but he's not sure where, or to whom, or exactly what, but yeah. What was the question?

Last edited by JRT; 06 Mar 20,, 02:41.

Comment

• Lizzie Warren has quit the race.

I think that this may work to the advantage of DumbAss-Donald Trump in the main event in November.

Lizzie Warren was splitting off support from the leftists that would otherwise go to Angry-Bernie. I do not think she was pulling much away from Geezer-Joe.

So my hope is now renewed, my hope that Angry-Bernie still has a chance to be in the lead going into the Democrat convention, but without the >50% majority that he needs in the first round of voting.

I want to see the fracture and disruption and disenchantment among the leftist activist voters when the Democrat Party Apparatchiks take the nomination away from Angry-Bernie in the subsequent round(s) of voting in a brokered convention, and hand that gift-wrapped nomination to Geezer-Joe Biden.

FWIW, I am no fan of DumbAss-Donald Trump. Rather I just want to see SCOTUS Justices Ginsberg and Breyer replaced with Republican nominated Justices.
                    Last edited by JRT; 06 Mar 20,, 15:58. Reason: changed Yiddish word "Broyges" to "Angry" because use of Yiddish might be misinterpreted as being anti-semetic

Comment

• JRT,

Lizzie Warren was splitting off support from the leftists that would otherwise go to Broyges-Bernie. I do not think she was pulling much away from Geezer-Joe.
                      no, that's not right.

while Warren's policy positions were closer to that of Bernie, -temperament- wise, Warren supporters are closer to that of Biden, or more accurately the old HRC wing of the party.

so the recent brouhaha about Sanders supporters calling Warren a "snake" and a "fraud" over the can-a-woman-be-President issue has badly backfired against Sanders. there will be a significant portion that will go Sanders, but I'd say the lion's share-- probably 75%-- will go to Biden.

it's telling that Warren brought up the vitriol of Sanders supporters -several- times in the post-mortem interview.

at this point in time, absent any Biden black swans, the nomination is Biden's to lose. he won't need to rely on superdelegates at all, and he'll likely win the primary by a larger margin than HRC.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

at this point in time, absent any Biden black swans, the nomination is Biden's to lose. he won't need to rely on superdelegates at all, and he'll likely win the primary by a larger margin than HRC.
                        Absent any black swans is a very big ask.

Geezer-Joe Biden releases his flock of black swans whenever he speaks in public, it's just a matter of time before they crap onto something important enough to be noticed.

Russian information warfare efforts are non-trivial, and will support disruption of western democracy, presumably preferring Sanders over Biden, and Trump over Biden. With others having fallen out of the race, they now have a clearer target, Geezer-Joe Biden.
                        Last edited by JRT; 06 Mar 20,, 16:15.

Comment

while Warren's policy positions were closer to that of Bernie, -temperament- wise, Warren supporters are closer to that of Biden, or more accurately the old HRC wing of the party.

there will be a significant portion that will go Sanders, but I'd say the lion's share-- probably 75%-- will go to Biden.

Bernie Sanders still has a chance to go into the convention in the lead with numbers of state delegates bound to a candidate, but many will be unbound as other candidates dropped out.

Given only two going in with bound delegates, someone will very likely receive >50% of the votes in the first round, because state delegates that were bound to other candidates will be unbound and can vote for Biden. While super delegates cannot vote in the first round, unbound state delegates can vote in the first round.

I suspect that all state delegates not bound to Bernie Sanders will vote for Joe Biden in the first round at the convention, and the super delegates would add to that in any subsequent round, if there is any subsequent round.

If Bernie is in the lead for bound delegates going into the convention, Bernie supporters will see this as the Democrat Party insiders taking it away from Bernie, and that would cause some disruption with the Democrat Party.
                          Last edited by JRT; 06 Mar 20,, 16:35.

Comment

• Yeah, there's a LOT of Warren voters that are NOT interested in voting for Bernie. A lot of her really like her "I have a plan" shtick and believe Warren is hyper-competent and hyper-accomplished. These types of people are generally not that interested in Bernie, voted for HRC in 2016, and will vote Biden in 2020 if it comes down to Bernie vs. Biden.

Think more highly educated urban and suburban professionals, ESPECIALLY graduate level education, and ESPECIALLY college-educated women. The FB and Twitter feeds today and yesterday are full of exactly this demographic and they are in the deepest mourning I've seen since HRC lost. Along with some righteous anger over how sexist America is, and "too good for this world" proclamations about how America isn't ready for obviously the most qualified candidate to have ever descended from Heaven.

Really annoying demographic, IMO, almost as annoying as the Bernie Bros. Reminds me entirely of Obama the Brosiah, except considerably more annoying since Obama was temperamentally a liberal and Warren is temperamentally a communist.
                            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Think more highly educated urban and suburban professionals, ESPECIALLY graduate level education, and ESPECIALLY college-educated women. The FB and Twitter feeds today and yesterday are full of exactly this demographic and they are in the deepest mourning I've seen since HRC lost. Along with some righteous anger over how sexist America is, and "too good for this world" proclamations about how America isn't ready for obviously the most qualified candidate to have ever descended from Heaven.

Really annoying demographic, IMO, almost as annoying as the Bernie Bros.
                              i resemble this remark...:-)

it's more passive-aggressive link postings to news articles and studies demonstrating how sexist attitudes influence voting patterns than anything else.

Bernie Bros and Trumpsters tend to go for the annoying memes and personal attacks. memes everywhere!

Reminds me entirely of Obama the Brosiah, except considerably more annoying since Obama was temperamentally a liberal and Warren is temperamentally a communist.
                              if Warren is a communist, then what is Bernie? Communist supreme? :-)

Comment

...demonstrating how sexist attitudes influence voting patterns than anything else.
                                Normal humans have their various biases, and those biases are levers while issues are fulcrums, both utilized to move and motivate the electorate.
                                Last edited by JRT; 06 Mar 20,, 17:04.

Comment

Working...
                                X