No announcement yet.

Las Vegas Oct 2017 mass shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Ironduke - Evolution isn't "striving for the best" - the cops either can't afford their beat neighborhood or don't want to live there. What you describe is what we had but won't ever have again - tragic.

Comment

• Originally posted by XLAdept View Post
      @ Ironduke - Evolution isn't "striving for the best" - the cops either can't afford their beat neighborhood or don't want to live there. What you describe is what we had but won't ever have again - tragic.
      If the cop doesn't want to live in their beat neighborhood, the police department hired the wrong guy for the job. Simple solution: hire somebody who already lives in that neighborhood and is willing to remain there.

If they can't afford the neighborhood, they should get a subsidy/benefit that makes it affordable to live there, somewhat like how members of the military get a housing allowance.
      Last edited by Ironduke; 06 Apr 18,, 17:48.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        If the cop doesn't want to live in their beat neighborhood, the police department hired the wrong guy for the job. Simple solution: hire somebody who already lives in that neighborhood and is willing to remain there.

If they can't afford the neighborhood, they should get a subsidy/benefit that makes it affordable to live there, somewhat like how members of the military get a housing allowance.
        I suppose that some districts do that now. Would that they all did. You are, of course, right about this.

Comment

• Which brings me back to my point regarding teachers and guns. Too many things that can go horribly wrong.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43733755
          Parkland teacher arrested after leaving gun in public lavatory

A teacher from the Florida high school where 17 people were shot dead two months ago has been arrested after leaving his gun in a public toilet.

Sean Simpson, 43, absentmindedly left the loaded weapon inside a cubicle, says Broward County Sheriff's Office.

It was found by a homeless man who fired a bullet into the wall before Mr Simpson snatched it from his hands.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School teacher previously said he was open to the idea of arming teachers.

Mr Simpson told police on Sunday he realised he had left the legally registered pistol in the toilet at the Deerfield Beach Pier after hearing a single gunshot.

After running back to the bathroom, the science teacher encountered a homeless man holding the gun, who, he added, appeared drunk.

Police arrested Mr Simpson and Joseph Spataro, 69, at the scene.

Mr Simpson was charged with failing to safely store a firearm, and was released after paying a $250 (175) cash bond.

Mr Spataro, who told police he fired the Glock 9mm handgun to see if it was loaded, was charged with firing a weapon while intoxicated and trespassing.

Comment

Which brings me back to my point regarding teachers and guns. Too many things that can go horribly wrong.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43733755
            Arming teachers is an all around bad idea not necessarily because of a general lack of competency---I'm sure there's a fair group of teachers with firearms/military/LEO experience confident in their abilities to respond to tactical situations. It's a bad idea because teachers are already a jack-of-all-trades type of job with quite a few responsibilities. Aside from lesson planning, grading, and continued education to maintain proficiency, teachers are expected to be impromptu counselors, mandated reporters, conflict mediators, mentors, etc. until they are able to refer the responsibility to more specialized faculty. The additional burden of mandating hours at the range, purchasing/maintaining/tracking issued firearms, and keeping up with continued tactical training simply isn't practical for the vast majority of teachers.

Dedicated resource officers in every public school, with the sole purpose of providing an on the ground LEO presence in the schools, would be a better reactive solution.
            "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Team View Post
              Arming teachers is an all around bad idea not necessarily because of a general lack of competency---I'm sure there's a fair group of teachers with firearms/military/LEO experience confident in their abilities to respond to tactical situations. It's a bad idea because teachers are already a jack-of-all-trades type of job with quite a few responsibilities. Aside from lesson planning, grading, and continued education to maintain proficiency, teachers are expected to be impromptu counselors, mandated reporters, conflict mediators, mentors, etc. until they are able to refer the responsibility to more specialized faculty. The additional burden of mandating hours at the range, purchasing/maintaining/tracking issued firearms, and keeping up with continued tactical training simply isn't practical for the vast majority of teachers.

Dedicated resource officers in every public school, with the sole purpose of providing an on the ground LEO presence in the schools, would be a better reactive solution.
              ...and in some states they have to work more than one job to pay the rent and put food on the table.

Comment

cop generally do not want to live where they work, their job often means making enemies, no one wants to put their family at risk.
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Team View Post
                  Arming teachers is an all around bad idea not necessarily because of a general lack of competency--

no need to mandatory arm every teacher, just those that can and want.

having an armed security is not a guarantee, it did not work in columbine and parkland, those are only 2 that I know that had armed guards, there may be more.

it would be best if there were both some teachers with concealed weapons and guards.
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by omon View Post
                    cop generally do not want to live where they work, their job often means making enemies, no one wants to put their family at risk.
                    Beat cops could always postpone marriage to 40 or 45, then take a desk job, support role, become a detective, or get promoted in the same police department, and then start a family then and move out to the suburbs.

That's what the Roman legionnaires and many other types of military men throughout history did. It seems people these days are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices that would be befitting for the job they volunteered for.

This is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Comment

Beat cops could always postpone marriage to 40 or 45, then take a desk job, support role, become a detective, or get promoted in the same police department, and then start a family then and move out to the suburbs.

That's what the Roman legionnaires and many other types of military men throughout history did. It seems people these days are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices that would be befitting for the job they volunteered for.

This is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.
                      i see where you coming from, but world changed a lot since roman times. i can see few super dedicated people put their lives on hold for a job, but i can't see many do so. not for a police job.

Comment

• Originally posted by omon View Post
                        i see where you coming from, but world changed a lot since roman times. i can see few super dedicated people put their lives on hold for a job, but i can't see many do so. not for a police job.
                        Well, if you want to get married/start a family at any age while you're currently serving as a beat cop - just put it off just long enough until there's an opening available, where you can make a lateral move, or get a promotion, from beat cop to something else. Then some other single guy gets hired on to replace you as the new beat cop in the neighborhood. This is, of course, just my opinion, but I don't think this is rocket science.

I think it's also worth noting: human nature at its core never really changes, regardless of the time period we live in. People are people, and while we often come to better understandings regarding our nature, we also often delude ourselves about it as well.
                        Last edited by Ironduke; 20 Apr 18,, 23:16.

Comment

• This dangerous freedom that we have in America...

Full article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43855097

Naked gunman kills four in Nashville Waffle House

A nude gunman has killed four people at a Waffle House in Nashville in the US state of Tennessee, police say.

The man burst into the restaurant at 03:25 (08:25 GMT) in the suburb of Antioch and opened fire, reportedly with a semi-automatic rifle.

Four other people were wounded. A customer wrestled the weapon from the man, who then fled the scene on foot.

Police are hunting for the suspect, whom they identified as Travis Reinking, 29, from Illinois.

The gunman arrived in his pick-up truck, shot people outside the restaurant before firing more shots inside, Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron said.

Police also say he was naked except for a green jacket, which he shed as he left the scene.

He was armed with an AR-15 rifle, a weapon commonly used by mass shooters in the US, media reports say.
                          On another note, I know someone who wanted to get a pistol to defend the dogs against bobcats, one of which actually killed someone else's dog in town. I got this person two small air horns. I told the person -- by the time you reach for the gun, the bobcat will have already done its work and by then it'll be too late. A gun is not a toy, and you'll hit anything and everything except for the bobcat.

Comment

On another note, I know someone who wanted to get a pistol to defend the dogs against bobcats, one of which actually killed someone else's dog in town. I got this person two small air horns. I told the person -- by the time you reach for the gun, the bobcat will have already done its work and by then it'll be too late. A gun is not a toy, and you'll hit anything and everything except for the bobcat.
                            Matt, airhornes are not a good idea. To an animal, fear and anger are the same thing. Yes, you could scare the bobcat off. You could also as easily spook an attack.

I don't know about a pistol though. The person needs to be really train to act in such a situation. Else, I agree with you.

I suggest bear spray. I don't recommend against bears but against bobcats, that tips the scale of finding something else to eat.
                            Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 22 Apr 18,, 17:35.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                              Matt, airhornes are not a good idea. To an animal, fear and anger are the same thing. Yes, you could scare the bobcat off. You could also as easily spook an attack.

I don't know about a pistol though. The person needs to be really train to act in such a situation. Else, I agree with you.

I suggest bear spray.
                              The air horn is not for if you happen to just see a bobcat sitting there minding its own business.

The air horn is for if the bobcat is coming at the dogs, is a split second away from sinking its teeth into the dog's neck or has already grabbed the dog by the neck, and you have absolutely no time to evade, take the dogs home, etc. A last case resort in the event of an actual incoming bobcat ambush/attack in progress.

Bear spray would be a good idea in the event the bobcat gets deterred from committing an intended attack/attack in progress, and comes back for a second round. By which time it's no longer an ambush situation - you're aware of the bobcat and have reached for the secondary option.
                              Last edited by Ironduke; 22 Apr 18,, 17:42.

Comment

The air horn is not for if you happen to just see a bobcat sitting there minding its own business.
                                That's the only time you can use the airhorn

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                                The air horn is for if the bobcat is coming at the dogs, is a second away from sinking its teeth into the dog's neck, and you have absolutely no time to evade, take the dogs home, etc.
                                Too late, flight or fight mode. 50-50 chance the cat finishes the kill or runs away.

Edit: And a bobcat can do serious damage to a man.
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X