Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    Overall I tend to agree with you.

That being said, how many people seriously thought the UK would vote itself out of the EU prior to the referendum?
    I did actually. The anti-EU anger is strong in England, although I was surprised at the strong pro-EU turnout in Scotland.

How many people thought Trump would be the Republican nominee even a few months ago?!
    Well again, I did. The GOP clown car (2nd election in a row!) assured him of victory. The only question mark was "Will there be dirty RNC tricks to keep him from claiming the nom?" The answer now of course is, Attempts, yes. Successful, no.

I didn't think Trump is electable months ago, and I'd still like to think he isn't. Yet his cult of personality has proven to give him more traction than I would have ever predicted. Populism is running strong in the West at the moment as evidenced by the success of both Sanders and Trump in the US, and it can be clearly seen in Europe as well.
    I can fully understand why Trump has been successful thus far. As you said, populism fueled both Sanders and Trump. After pretty much the entire world was badly stung by their cherished Messiah turning out to be a mirage hiding more-of-the-same, it was downright inevitable. Particularly with someone like Clinton running.

Originally posted by kato View Post
    To be fair most outside the US - and most Californians, where he was governor after all - viewed Reagan as much the same.
    Regan at least had that 2-term governorship of California to point to, not to mention a previous decent showing in the 1976 primary. He really isn't comparable to Trump, either in experience or ideology.

True, He was viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism and raised eyebrows, but nowhere on the scale of Trump today.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
      A human rights violating shit hole, which mistreats and steals passports from foreign workers from the developing world, is full of people who give money to terrorists, and was one of the three nations which recognized the Taliban. Sorry should have been more precise in my insults, it happens son.
      http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...707-story.html
      Didn't know that the sporadic financial backers of terror (which, btw, are located like EVERYWHERE in the world) qualified the UAE as an "exporter of terrorism".
      "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
        Didn't know that the sporadic financial backers of terror (which, btw, are located like EVERYWHERE in the world) qualified the UAE as an "exporter of terrorism".
        Where he said that?

I disagree with him with labeling entire nations, but he didn't say that
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

How dare I insult that horrible state in passing while discussing NATO nations who don't keep up their end of the deal. They are a wonderful state...
          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            Where he said that?

I disagree with him with labeling entire nations, but he didn't say that
            In his previous post, he did.

Originally posted by troung View Post
            How dare I insult that horrible state in passing while discussing NATO nations who don't keep up their end of the deal. They are a wonderful state...
            Glad you see it that way.
            "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Article authored by Jens Stoltenberg, current NATO Secretary General, on the topic:
              Now is not the time for the US to abandon Nato – nor should its European allies go it alone

We need strong American leadership and Europeans to shoulder their share of the burden – but above all, we must recognise the value of our partnership

We face the greatest challenges to our security in a generation. This is no time to question the value of the partnership between Europe and the United States.

For 67 years this partnership has been the bedrock of peace, freedom and prosperity in Europe. It enabled us successfully to deter the Soviet Union and bring the cold war to an end. And it made possible the integration of Europe and laid the foundation for the unprecedented peace and prosperity we enjoy today. European leaders have always understood that when it comes to security, going it alone is not an option.

At the same time, American leaders have always recognised that they had profound strategic interest in a stable and secure Europe. And throughout the last 67 years America has had no more steadfast and reliable partner.
              Trump warned by Nato chief that 'going it alone is not an option'
              Read more

The only time Nato has invoked its self-defence clause, that an attack on one is an attack on all, was in support of the United States after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. This was more than just a symbol. Nato went on to take charge of the operation in Afghanistan. Hundreds of thousands of European soldiers have served in Afghanistan since. And more than 1,000 have paid the ultimate price in an operation that is a direct response to an attack against the United States. Today of all days, we remember them.

On both sides of the Atlantic leaders have always understood that a stronger, safer and more prosperous Europe means a stronger, safer and more prosperous United States. This partnership between Europe and the United States, embodied in the Nato alliance, remains essential for both.

In the last few years we have seen a dramatic deterioration of our security, with a more assertive Russia and turmoil across north Africa and the Middle East. Nato allies have responded together. We have implemented the biggest reinforcement of our collective defence since the cold war. And the United States has significantly strengthened its commitment to European security, deploying a new armoured brigade to eastern Europe and delivering equipment and supplies to support future reinforcements if needed.

This is deterrence, not aggression. We do not seek to provoke a conflict, but to prevent a conflict. Nato battalions numbering thousands of troops cannot be compared with Russian divisions numbering tens of thousands just across the border. Our response is defensive and proportionate. But it sends a clear and unmistakable message: an attack against one will be met by a response from all.

Nato also continues to play a crucial role in the fight against terrorism. Every Nato ally is part of the US-led coalition against Islamic State, our Awacs surveillance aircraft support coalition air operations, and Nato is training Iraqi officers to better fight Isis. We also work with a range of partners throughout north Africa and the Middle East to help them fight instability and improve their security.
              The stories you need to read, in one handy email
              Read more

The partnership between Europe and America is founded on deeply shared interests and common values. At the same time, a viable partnership depends on all contributing their fair share. The United States currently accounts for almost 70% of Nato defence spending, and has rightly called for a more equitable sharing of the burden.

At the 2014 Wales summit, every Nato ally pledged to stop cuts and increase defence spending to 2% of GDP within a decade. Since then, European allies have delivered, with the United Kingdom showing significant leadership. This year, 22 Nato allies will increase defence spending, leading to a total of 3% increase in real terms. And I expect that next year we will see the third consecutive year of increased defence spending in Europe.

We are an alliance of 28 democracies. Free-flowing debate is part of our DNA. Naturally, we have our differences. But leaders on both sides of the Atlantic, and across the political spectrum, have always recognised the unique ties that bind us. Our proud history is one of common challenges overcome together.

It is all too easy to take the freedoms, security and prosperity we enjoy for granted. In these uncertain times we need strong American leadership, and we need Europeans to shoulder their fair share of the burden. But above all we need to recognise the value of the partnership between Europe and America. It remains indispensable. So rather than deepening our differences, we need to nurture what unites us, and find the wisdom and foresight to work together for common solutions. Going it alone is not an option, either for Europe or for the United States.
              https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ns-stoltenberg

Comment

European Oil Firms to Benefit from Donald Trump’s Victory

Donald Trump’s victory in the United States Presidential Election will likely be good for European oil and gas firms that operate in U.S. Media reaction across the Atlantic, the industry itself has began a wake up call for the President Elect to define a clear energy policy.
                All these resources will be needed, which is why it is important for decision makers, all around the world, to politically support exploration and production of oil and gas.

Given the importance of the energy sector to the U.S. and global economy, the next U.S. administration will need to deliver a clear and stable energy policy framework.

Readmore here http://oilandgasrepublic.com/2016/11...trumps-victory

Comment

Working...
                X