Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antonin Scalia dead at age 79

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Antonin Scalia dead at age 79

    News just hit the wires. No details yet other than it was in Texas where he was vacationing.

  • #2
    would a mod kindly correct my misspelling of justice Scalia's first name?

    Comment


    • #3
      The Repubs, better man up and block any nominations for the rest of the year! Otherwise, the Union may be doomed.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by surfgun View Post
        The Repubs, better man up and block any nominations for the rest of the year! Otherwise, the Union may be doomed.
        Get out of my head!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by zraver View Post
          Get out of my head!
          I think we just had a resonance in the collective consciousness.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zraver View Post
            Get out of my head!
            Your head? A good portion of the country is thinking the exact same thing.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

            Comment


            • #7
              A probable case for next years term is Maryland's "assault weapon ban" / 10 round magazine limitation case. Without Scalia, things would go very badly. Then the flood gates would open.

              Comment


              • #8
                Gloomy news, indeed. Darn.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The parties will use this to try to pull voters back to the "establishment" candidates.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One of those candidates clerked for the Supreme Court. He may have a leg up on picking quality Justices.'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So you want the Senate to neglect one of its most important jobs for a year? leave the Supreme Court with a year long vacancy? Just so Hillary can pick a new Justice?

                      Or in the Republican majority minds, to take a gamble and see if someone better comes along that we can agree with and get our way?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A year, no. Maybe eleven months?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                          So you want the Senate to neglect one of its most important jobs for a year? leave the Supreme Court with a year long vacancy? Just so Hillary can pick a new Justice?

                          Or in the Republican majority minds, to take a gamble and see if someone better comes along that we can agree with and get our way?
                          No, we want the Senate to do it's job for the year, and let the voters pick the new justice. :-P

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            So you want the Senate to neglect one of its most important jobs for a year? leave the Supreme Court with a year long vacancy? Just so Hillary can pick a new Justice?

                            Or in the Republican majority minds, to take a gamble and see if someone better comes along that we can agree with and get our way?
                            On one hand, could Hillary pick someone further to the left than Obama? On the other hand her chances of ever getting to the White House diminishes smaller every day. The smart money goes to waiting until after the elections so the next president can put the court back in balance. Short answer, yes. It would be better to leave the spot vacant for a year than to steer the country towards a cliff and punch the accelerator.
                            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by citanon View Post
                              No, we want the Senate to do it's job for the year, and let the voters pick the new justice. :-P
                              But the voters have done their job. In the last two elections the picked the person that they wanted to run the country. Part of that job is to pick people to fill the various vacancies that occur during his tenure.
                              The voters picked President Obama to do that job until Jan of next year.

                              Just saying.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X