Presidential Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential Question

Supposed Trump lost the Repbulican Nomination. Is there anything stopping him from running as an independent afterwards? Nothing malice about this but just trying to figure out Trump's options.
    Chimo

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Supposed Trump lost the Repbulican Nomination. Is there anything stopping him from running as an independent afterwards? Nothing malice about this but just trying to figure out Trump's options.
    Trump has actually already threatened to do that and, as far as I can gather, the "establishment" Republicans would gladly see him go; only about half of his platform dovetails with the Republicans stated philosophy, the other half of his platform is diametrically opposed to that of the core Republicans. Either Cruz or Rubio are probably closer to the base GOP platform than Trump is.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I don't see why not. Ross Perot ran two third party presidential races. I'm sure Trump knows the party doesn't care for him as they have no leverage. He does have an ego. He doesn't like to lose or be told no to. He is somewhat paranoid in that he doesn't think the party and some of the press treat him fairly. More likely don't give him the respect he demands and feels he richly deserves. So he is just the guy to stick a finger in their eye should he desire.

You are lucky and I envy you Canadians. You never seem to go through all this angst every time there is a national election like we do. Oh, the barbarians are at the gate. We need to ban. We need to isolate like we did to the Japanese. We aren't #1 in the world anymore. The world doesn't respect us anymore or more likely doesn't bow to our wishes. Fear, fear, fear. Someone out there is about to get you from any number of directions no matter who you are. So much for common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        You are lucky and I envy you Canadians. You never seem to go through all this angst every time there is a national election like we do. Oh, the barbarians are at the gate. We need to ban. We need to isolate like we did to the Japanese. We aren't #1 in the world anymore. The world doesn't respect us anymore or more likely doesn't bow to our wishes. Fear, fear, fear. Someone out there is about to get you from any number of directions no matter who you are. So much for common sense.
        When was the last time you had to beg Texas (ie, Quebec) to stay in the country?

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
        Chimo

Comment

Well, considering that we tend to go through this every 4 years ad infinitum I'd say it is more three of one and nine of the other.

Comment

I'll trade you Selina Gomez for Celine Dion. Oh wait, you got her already. Never mind, you can keep both
            Chimo

Comment

I'll trade you Selina Gomez for Celine Dion. Oh wait, you got her already. Never mind, you can keep both
              Rumor has it. Now she is single, after an appropriate amount of time, she plans to move back to Canada. To be closer to you.

Comment

Selina Gomez? As pretty as she is, that's cradle robbing.
                Chimo

Comment

Selina Gomez? As pretty as she is, that's cradle robbing.
                  Don't be coy, Sir. Miss Gomez isn't the Canadian of the two

Comment

Serious question: why bother keeping Quebec?
                    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      Rumor has it. Now she is single, after an appropriate amount of time, she plans to move back to Canada. To be closer to you.
                      Way to derail the thread, GG!

Now all we need is Yellow to show up and make it even worse . . .
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                        Serious question: why bother keeping Quebec?
                        St Lawerence Seaway.
                        Chimo

Comment

Different states set different cut off dates to get on the ballot. The window is closing rapidly for any third party run.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            Different states set different cut off dates to get on the ballot. The window is closing rapidly for any third party run.
                            zraver has the key answer to the original question: the cut-off date for appearing on a sufficient number of state ballots is too early for any failed "party" candidate to suddenly switch to being an independent. Write-in campaigns (candidate's name is not on the ballot, but voter can write it in by hand) are too difficult for the average voter.
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                              Which begs the question - will the GOP hierarchy go harder at Trump once the window closes?
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                              X