False accusations against Planned Parenthood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False accusations against Planned Parenthood

They made it up. Imagine that. Guess they think its OK to lie for a cause they believe in.

So will the States restore funding?

Planned Parenthood cleared by Texas jury over videos, activists indicted

http://news.yahoo.com/planned-parent...224615990.html

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - A Texas grand jury has indicted two anti-abortion activists in a case involving covert videos on fetal tissue procurement talks with Planned Parenthood and found there was no wrongdoing on the part of the health group, a district attorney said on Monday.

The grand jury decision was a result of a probe launched last year under Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, who accused Planned Parenthood of the "gruesome harvesting of baby body parts." No evidence was provided by Texas to back the claim.

The videos released last summer led Texas and several other Republican-controlled states to try to halt funding for local Planned Parenthood operations.

"After a lengthy and thorough investigation by the Harris County District Attorney’s Office, the Texas Rangers, and the Houston Police Department, a Harris County grand jury took no action Monday against Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast," the Harris County District Attorney's office said in a statement.

Planned Parenthood has denied the accusation and called the probe politically motivated.

David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt have been indicted by the grand jury for tampering with a governmental record, said prosecutors for the county in which Houston is located.

The two were involved in covert videos last year in which a discussion was held with a Planned Parenthood official on the procurement of fetal tissue.

Daleiden, founder of the Center for Medical Progress that released the videos, was also charged with violating a prohibition on the purchase and sale of human organs, a misdemeanor, the Harris County District Attorney said.

The videos purported to show Planned Parenthood officials trying to negotiate prices for aborted fetal tissue. Under federal law, donated human fetal tissue may be used for research, but profiting from its sale is prohibited.

Shortly after the release, Texas, the most populous Republican-controlled U.S. state, said it would launch a probe of Planned Parenthood.

"These people broke the law to spread malicious lies about Planned Parenthood in order to advance their extreme anti-abortion political agenda," said Eric Ferrero, vice president of Communications for Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

"As the dust settles and the truth comes out, it's become totally clear that the only people who engaged in wrongdoing are the criminals behind this fraud, and we're glad they're being held accountable," he said.

The Texas governor said: "Nothing about today’s announcement in Harris County impacts the state’s ongoing investigation."

In October, Texas raided several Planned Parenthood facilities in the state

Gee, didn't see that coming. I mean...this sort of thing has never happened before....(need a rolleyes icon).

The truly funny thing is that the DA here was hand picked by GOP Governor Abbott - the guy who thought the US military was going to invade Texas last year. It makes the inevitable denunciations of the prosecution of the film makers as 'politically motivated' even more chuckleworthy.

I believe a number of GOP states have gone after PP based on this film, have any prosecutions of PP followed? Any actual adverse findings? While the original controversy generated vast amounts of outrage, I imagine the fact that the film makers were lying criminals will be completely ignored.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Eleven states, launched investigations after the release of the videos. Nine have determined Planned Parenthood did nothing wrong. The inquiries have yet to finish in Arizona and Louisiana.

Comment

If your cause is just…you don't need to lie and resort to trickery.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I support Planned Parenthood. Just not the same reason you guys do.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Could you clarify that, gunnut?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
              Eleven states, launched investigations after the release of the videos. Nine have determined Planned Parenthood did nothing wrong. The inquiries have yet to finish in Arizona and Louisiana.
              I'm going to guess that most or all of those were 'Red' states. Oh dear!
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by stevedapirate View Post
                nine have determined planned parenthood did nothing illegal.
                ftfy
                "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                  ftfy
                  And the difference is?
                  "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                    And the difference is?
                    From the perspective of the Republican lawmakers and the Republican base, the behavior would still be classified as unethical.

I haven't sat on any of the grand juries personally but as we can see from Black Lives Matter heroes, a failure to indict someone for violating my personal beliefs is 100% confirmation that the system is even more oppressive than we thought. (EDIT: obvious sarcasm)
                    Last edited by GVChamp; 27 Jan 16,, 18:59.
                    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                      Could you clarify that, gunnut?
                      It fights poverty one abortion at a time. And its clients are disproportionally "colored." I am, after all, a registered democrat.

Comment

Is it true that the DA investigating this case just happened to be on the board of Planned Parenthood?

That's quite a coincidence....

Comment

So can any of the States that launched criminal investigations take civil action against the organisation or individuals responsible for laying the false complaints with a view to cost recovery? It was taxpayers dollars that were wasted after all.
                          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

You mean the Governor of Indiana?
                            http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/07...ngdoing/204705

I work for a Fortune 50 that does a lot of work with the government. "Audit" is considered normal business procedure. It's what real companies do.

I don't give a crap about this, I never watched the videos, and I didn't read the stupid blog literature on the subject.

However, what justifies any statement that "it was all made up?"

The videos were apparently recorded in California. That's where Planned Parenthood participates in the fetal tissue program. The states that opened investigations do not have PP providers engaged in the fetal tissue program. That the government audited this to ensure regulatory compliance is normal for every other company and would be LAUDED by progressives were it any other company in any other industry.

You know who isn't launching an investigation?

California.
                            Last edited by GVChamp; 28 Jan 16,, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              It fights poverty one abortion at a time. And its clients are disproportionally "colored." I am, after all, a registered democrat.

Planned Parenthood also offers services in women's healthcare, pap smears breast exams etc. In fact that and the other services they provide would be the bulk of their business, not abortions. Oh I forgot. Obama fixed the problem with women not having affordable healthcare when he pushed the AHA on the nation.

Comment

Working...
                              X