Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double standards by US.US firm found guilty of underpaying Indians at $1.22 an hour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double standards by US.US firm found guilty of underpaying Indians at $1.22 an hour.

see here:

BBC News - US firm fined for underpaying Indian workers

See the relevant quote,
    Reports say the firm paid the Indian workers the same wages they received in their normal jobs in the Indian city of Bangalore - and continued to pay them in rupees.

US laws require foreign workers to be paid at least the minimum wage, with overtime for working more than 40 hours a week.

"This is worse than anything that I ever saw in any of those Los Angeles sweatshops," Michael Eastwood, assistant district director of Department of Labour, told the Associated Press news agency.
    The point I want to make is the contrast of the treatment meted out to US firm executives and the treatment of DK Khobograde. The US executives were not hauled before jail and stripped searched and accused of visa fraud which is plainly here.

And zraver and others were ranting and frothing at the "inhuman treatment" by the diplomat for engaging in slavery like practices and trafficking and using pretty strong language. Furthermore, there were posts of how US government would mete out the exact same treatment if similar practices were found elsewhere in US.

Can anyone tell us why these members of this firm, see here: About EFI: Senior Leadership Team, were not arrested, strip-searched, and made to pay high amounts of bail and undergo such humiliating treatment that DK Khobograde underwent?

And many american and western posters were wondering and questioning why India and several posters like me were protesting at such treatment and we were ridiculed for such views.

Talk about double standards.

Attached Files

Comment

Your attempt of ridiculing this thread does not obliviate the fact that there is a double standard going on and it needs to be pointed out and commented on. I would have posted in that DK thread but it was closed down, hence the need for a new thread. If you want to see where I am coming from, read this thread: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/ame...ested-nyc.html

Posters were justifying the treatment of the Indian diplomat meted out by US authorities. I have pointed out a similar situation with a similar fact pattern and highlighted the difference of the treatment meted out by US authorities.
      Last edited by Blademaster; 25 Oct 14,, 06:38.

Comment

Khobragade (Slavery + less than minimum wage) Vs EFI (less than minimum wage paid).

Attached Files
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          Khobragade (Slavery + less than minimum wage) Vs EFI (less than minimum wage paid).

[ATTACH]38350[/ATTACH]
          Really? How was it slavery when the maid had complete freedom of movement and had her own hours of work and her own room and amenities? She even got paid more than these workers by the firm. Your attempts of characterizing Dk's actions as slavery is pretty revealing for someone who claims to be a true Indian.

Try again, Sherlock Holmes.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Blademaster; 25 Oct 14,, 06:49.

Comment

Let it go....

Comment

Because people all across the world agree...

Attached Files

Comment

BM has a very good point. Surely only a savage and brutal people clinging to the bottom rung of civilization would pay so low a wage. Such people richly deserve any criticism that comes their way.

Hey BM, maybe if you keep this thread active for long enough vsdoc/doppleganger/sated Buddha will invent another persona and agree with you. He always was your biggest fan.
                Last edited by Bigfella; 25 Oct 14,, 10:44.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Lol and I thought WAB had some unbiased opinion on some issues already , but some of its members had proved before and are still proving that is not the case. Instead of just trolling (using it intentionally) why don't add something valuable instead of wasting some digital space :whome:.

So this proves once again the bully doesn't follow his own rules although I am not sure what i should have expected , silly me. At least stop taking the moral high ground hereafter on any issue cause who knows your government might do the same in every dang thing

Comment

And for some ignorant on this issue it was never about DK, it was about how our DIPLOMAT was treated. So stop saying silly stupid things trying to say one is slavery and the other is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                      ok, here is the part i don't get.

The eight workers were brought to the US on a special project, at the time when they helped the company move its headquarters from Foster City to Fremont.

Reports say the firm paid the Indian workers the same wages they received in their normal jobs in the Indian city of Bangalore - and continued to pay them in rupees.
                      Which Indian will go to the US for the same wages they get in India. Living costs in the US are not the same. It would be a loss. They will go so long as they get a chance to make much more. So something is missing in this story.

But as I recall the maid was being offered 3-5 times what she would get in India for the same work. The issue was this still was under US laws despite other benefits.

The point I want to make is the contrast of the treatment meted out to US firm executives and the treatment of DK Khobograde. The US executives were not hauled before jail and stripped searched and accused of visa fraud which is plainly here.

Can anyone tell us why these members of this firm, see here: About EFI: Senior Leadership Team, were not arrested, strip-searched, and made to pay high amounts of bail and undergo such humiliating treatment that DK Khobograde underwent?
                      No, but american firms get into trouble now and then when an Erin Brockovich comes around.

And many american and western posters were wondering and questioning why India and several posters like me were protesting at such treatment and we were ridiculed for such views.
                      I wasn't or chose not to feel that way and made the same points in a different way. Had differences over that affair even with members of my own family.

The problem was things had crossed a point of no return in the diplomats case. The key was to prevent it reaching that far which was a failure between the state dept and India's foreign office. It took on a life of its own. At the same time it has to be said this was no ordinary maid, she had better connections, she had the upper hand in that fight.

That was a story of a disgruntled worker but who spilled the beans here ? I doubt it was those same indian workers complaining about 'inhuman conditions'.

Talk about double standards.
                      Any time an american gets into trouble abroad their state orgs swing into action. This is something we need to do but its an issue of capacity. They have lots of people to do it we don't not yet.

Right now Kiwis have more capacity then India in this regard.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 25 Oct 14,, 12:40.

Comment

I doubt that this was any deliberate action by the US government.
                        It was an ambitious DA wanting a trophy case.
                        The state department had very little leverage on him and so he got to run it to the end.

However the view in India was from the beginning was shaped by the media narrative of a calculated insult to the Nation.
                        Last edited by bolo121; 25 Oct 14,, 13:11.
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

What double standard? One got convicted. The other got off scott free.
                          Chimo

Comment

BM,

How are the two cases related, but the underpayment part?
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by commander View Post
                              So this proves once again the bully doesn't follow his own rules although I am not sure what i should have expected , silly me. At least stop taking the moral high ground hereafter on any issue cause who knows your government might do the same in every dang thing
                              EFI is a government company? And the government brushed the incident under the carpet? Huh, who knew.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X