Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double standards by US.US firm found guilty of underpaying Indians at $1.22 an hour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
    Still entitled to some form of immunity and subject to a gentleman's agreement
    Consular immunity is way different from diplomatic immunity and the crimes she was accused of were not ones to which she was entitled to immunity.

Really? Slavery?? then how did the maid have complete freedom of movement and she was happy until she realized that she wasn't getting any more money and tried to blackmail DK? Your slapping lipstick on a pig attempts of window dressing it as slavery does not obliterate the fact that there was no prima facie of slavery and there was no justification for an arrest and strip search.
    yes slavery because that is what it amounted to. Freedom of movement without her passport and with her family threatened isn't very free. There was a lot of evidence of it and had she been prosecuted she would be in federal prison. The arrest was warranted, and strip searches are normal procedure for felony defendants.

Read again, genius and it was in response to BF's snide remark about the colonial past. He said it, he owned it and whatever response that came next.
    We've been over this, every oen of the principals in the case from the dirty consular official, the victim and the prosecutor was Indian or of Indian decent and you went on a rampage about white America.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Skin color that meets my approval.... What ever gave you the idea that skin color mattered to me? lets see- defense of Palestinians who are dark skinned, defense of, admiration of and friends with of Colonel Yu a Canadian of Chinese defense, statements that I wish Condolezza Rice would run for office, public statements complaining about how blacks are treated in the US, statements about how the British in India committed a genocide, admiration of Persian culture, a personal religious faith that blends Christianity and Native American faiths, 2 mixed race ex-wives with 3 mixed race kids, specialized in tutoring foreign exchange and students of color.... Yup I sure am hung up on skin color.
      Z,

I certainly would not have expected it of you, but then I see this:

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      4. If I made as many racist comments as he did I'd be banned, must be nice to have brown skin.
      It is your quote, even the Mods called you out on it.

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      BM brought in his usual racist snarkyness and I called him on it. You tried to be just as snarky but snarked up the wrong tree there snarkester.
      Blade's comments has been called by many, including the Mods and including me. That gives you the green light to reciprocate? I can even understand you calling out him in particular, but no, you had to go pick on "brown skin".

Yes, you are one of the last persons on the board I would have expected this of, which I why I am doubly surprised.
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• I was flipping his racism back at him so that hopefully he would see he was going too far in seeing skin color behind every bush.

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
          But where did I say "they said" ? All I said was that we forced you to acknowledge the immunity status and had the diplomat released. And the double standards by the US law enforcement in the land of free.
          You didn't "force" anything.

The state department acknowledged the immunity status after it was granted by the state department.

In fact, they tried to downplay the incident as soon as it occured.

if it makes your government feel better to think they have "forced" the big bad Americans, feel free to think so but don't try to push that on us.

I wanted to ask this before the other thread was abruptly closed so let me ask ithere:

Why do you think we did what we did to DK and what was in it for us?

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
            It's the same shit GIGO.

Not even worthy of a popcorn emoticon anymore.
            I don't even see what the problem is. I like being cavity searched.

Problem is the dentist stretched my lips doing it.

I've been strip searched before. 'meh'
            Ego Numquam

Comment

• Okay everybody....we are getting close to some lines none of us need to cross.

Take a deep breath and think and reason before posting.

We do not intend to squelch legitimate debate and discussion....but the Mods and Admin will not allow a thread to degenerate into a garbage pit.

Self regulate.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

yes slavery because that is what it amounted to. Freedom of movement without her passport and with her family threatened isn't very free. There was a lot of evidence of it and had she been prosecuted she would be in federal prison. The arrest was warranted, and strip searches are normal procedure for felony defendants.
                Can you please post a link from where you got the part about Richard not having access to her passport?

The news about her family in India being threatened by DK's father came from a petition filed by her husband Philip in an Indian court. This was done after Sangeeta Richard had already left DK's house and DK had been contacted by Sangeeta's attorney about paying the rest of her dues. The petition was withdrawn four days later. Sangeeta Richard was able to leave DK's house quite easily (since she had been left alone there) and her family was able to fly from India to the US without anybody stopping them.

Comment

BM brought in his usual racist snarkyness and I called him on it. You tried to be just as snarky but snarked up the wrong tree there snarkester.
                  I approve of your righteous indignation about another poster's "racist snarkyness". I would also like to remind you of a cheeky little comment you had slipped in when the DK issue was being discussed:

I wonder what caste the servant was from. I bet if she had been a higher caste there would be a lot less blaming the victim going on.
                  Link: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/ame...tml#post942610

Right there you basically accused pretty much every Indian poster who posted on DK's side of being casteist. That is the equivalent of me saying that you would care about a victim more if he/she was white instead of black. Your comment of course was especially ridiculous considering that DK's herself came from a so-called "lower caste". You assumed that since we were Indians, we just had to be casteist right?

Comment

I was flipping his racism back at him so that hopefully he would see he was going too far in seeing skin color behind every bush.
                    Only you would think that I would be seeing skin color behind every bush. Tells me a lot about your pysche profile. Only you would think that rebutting to BF's snarkiness in his own language would be racist. Why am I not surprised?
                    Last edited by Blademaster; 29 Oct 14,, 06:46.

Comment

Consular immunity is way different from diplomatic immunity and the crimes she was accused of were not ones to which she was entitled to immunity.
                      Ok in that case, then why weren't EFI executives charged with the same crimes that DK was charged for doing the same thing that DK did, underpaying the worker?

She was free to come and leave of her own will. The passport she had was a special Indian passport that would have granted her access to many more places than a normal Indian passport and when she reported that she wasn't coming in until she got more money and she wanted to stay in America and attempted to blackmail a high ranking consular officer which is a serious breach of security protocols, she, under the laws of India, abused the privileges of that passport and was not entitled to retain possession of the passport. DK followed the rules of Indian laws governing such passports and reported it and the passport was promptly revoked for security reasons. DK would have been in much bigger trouble if she hadn't reported the issue to her superiors.

The maid's freedom was not restricted at all. She just became an undocumented alien, a situation entirely of her own making. If she was so unhappy with her situation, all she had to do was quit, fly back to India and get a regular passport and fly back to US and make a claim for unpaid wages. She had that complete freedom. So no it was not slavery because slavery means bonded servitude against her will. She was not held against her will. She only claimed she was held against her will because she didn't want to leave America and lose her opportunity to stay in America. She didn't want to take the legal way out and she was not forbidden from using the legal way out. yes there was a court warrant out for her in India and that is because instead of taking the legal way out, she attempted to blackmail a high ranking Indian consular officer and that was a serious breach of security protocols and the Indian courts were well in their rights to investigate that matter further. If she hadn't attempted to blackmail the officer, the courts would have not issued a warrant for her. The maid would have been free and still was free to file a complaint against DK and the court would have taken up her case. But she didn't want to do that because it meant that she would have to leave America and go back to India and she couldn't get in US without going through the long time consuming process of applying for visas and green cards that law abiding citizens would undergo.

We've been over this, every oen of the principals in the case from the dirty consular official, the victim and the prosecutor was Indian or of Indian decent and you went on a rampage about white America.
                      No you went on a rampage about Indians and their caste systems and engaging in every racial stereotype that could be thrown against Indians and we called you out for it and you went around and started crying and bitching "reverse racism" and flinging out basesless flimsy window dressing words and charges that were completely unmeritorious.

Comment

• Blademaster,

Which moral consistency would you prefer? That Khobragade and the US company are both allowed to abuse Indians with illegally poor wages? Or both of them severely punished? I don't see any viable defense of Khobragade's case here. The NY prosecutor is simply doing his job, not letting privileged people drive down labor prices for maids in NYC through illegal practices.
                        Last edited by Triple C; 29 Oct 14,, 07:45.
                        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                          Pretty disappointing set of posts here
                          Given who started the thread & why that shouldn't come as much surprise. When someone digs a cesspit we shouldn't be surprised at what happens next.

It is also highly disappointing (and disgusting) to see some of the respected member of the forum make is a white skin vs. brown skin issue.
                          I'm not sure if I was included in this (don't know if 'respected' applies ) but I'm happy to explain my explain my post. TH covered most of what I would say about BM & his behaviour, so I'll be brief. I'm not a fan of racial epithets, even when they are packaged in weasel words like 'colonial mentality' designed to allow for deniability. This sort of thing is never more than a few posts away with BM and it isn't just me who cops it. I could descend into the sort of inchoate rage that produces this behaviour, but I'm content to make fun and call out the behaviour for what it is.

Sorry if that is dragging the tone down a bit, but I can't imagine many posters being as polite about something like this. I'm also curious what you think would happen if a white poster repeatedly abused Indians based on their ethnicity. I have a fair idea how I would respond, and it wouldn't be as politely as I have so far. I don't want to make life any more difficult for the Mods, so I'll leave it there.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                            You didn't "force" anything.

The state department acknowledged the immunity status after it was granted by the state department.

In fact, they tried to downplay the incident as soon as it occured.

if it makes your government feel better to think they have "forced" the big bad Americans, feel free to think so but don't try to push that on us.

Fair enough, each country/person entitled to it's/their view. We see it as a egg in the face for the US and you guys see it differently.

I wanted to ask this before the other thread was abruptly closed so let me ask ithere:

Why do you think we did what we did to DK and what was in it for us?
                            Even I had the same question, but in the previous thread it was kind of mentioned something about someone in the US state department wanting to send a message or humiliate Indian side. Do note that we also are furious of how our diplomat had indulged in such activity. It was also covered that this was a common practice among other countries diplomats as well. BUT just because someone is doing something illegally doesn't give DK the rights to do it herself. But that's a separate issue. The sole reason why it was blown up was when the news broke up about being strip searched and 'allegedly' cavity searched. Had it been just a detention there wouldn't have been much fuss. After all we were shameless to let our former beloved President being frisked in your airport and a number of other high profile figures. You were well within your right to do a strip search and whatever your law permits you to do. BUT we reserve the right to invoke some of the special previliges that your folk enjooyed here. In the previous post there were a lot of moaning when someone accidentally removed an extra barricade. So yeah the question is a mystery to us too. Because some of our diplomats had a similar issue earlier and were settled without making this big a mess resulting in straining diplomatic ties with 2 countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                              I approve of your righteous indignation about another poster's "racist snarkyness". I would also like to remind you of a cheeky little comment you had slipped in when the DK issue was being discussed:

Link: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/ame...tml#post942610

Right there you basically accused pretty much every Indian poster who posted on DK's side of being casteist. That is the equivalent of me saying that you would care about a victim more if he/she was white instead of black. Your comment of course was especially ridiculous considering that DK's herself came from a so-called "lower caste". You assumed that since we were Indians, we just had to be casteist right?
                              Yup I made a mistake. But my mistake months ago doesn't excuse someone deliberate acts today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                                Blademaster,

Which moral consistency would you prefer? That Khobragade and the US company are both allowed to abuse Indians with illegally poor wages? Or both of them severely punished? I don't see any viable defense of Khobragade's case here. The NY prosecutor is simply doing his job, not letting privileged people drive down labor prices for maids in NYC through illegal practices.
                                I expect the EFI executives to receive the same treatment that DK got. Treatment needs to be uniform all over US, not just in one particular location. Otherwise, too many inferences can be drawn and not necessarily in a good way.
                                Last edited by Blademaster; 29 Oct 14,, 16:21.

Comment

Working...
                                X