X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipped-in aliens swamping Arizona

Shipped-in aliens swamping Arizona
    Posted: June 8, 2014

Illegal immigrants after being released by ICE at a Greyhound terminal in Phoenix

PHOENIX -- Angry about the federal government sending illegal aliens from Texas to Arizona, state officials say they are rushing federal supplies to a makeshift holding center in the southern part of Arizona that's housing hundreds of children and is running low on the basics. Gov. Jan Brewer's spokesman, Andrew Wilder, said Friday that conditions at the holding center are so dire that federal officials have asked the state to immediately ship the medical supplies to the center in Nogales.

A Homeland Security Department official said about 700 children were sleeping on plastic cots Friday and about 2,000 mattresses have been ordered. Portable toilets and showers have been taken to the holding center -- a warehouse that has not been used for detention in years. Vendors are being contracted to provide meals, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials. The Federal Emergency Management Agency, meanwhile, will provide counseling services and recreational activities. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because there was no authorization to discuss the matter publicly, said the Nogales holding center opened for children because the Department of Health and Human Services had nowhere to turn. "They became so overwhelmed and haven't kept up with planning," the official said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has said the illegal aliens were mostly families from Central America fleeing extreme poverty and violence. The Homeland Security official said the number of children at the warehouse was expected to double to around 1,400. The warehouse has a capacity of about 1,500. The Arizona Daily Star reported Saturday that Jimena Diaz, consul general of Guatemala in Phoenix, visited the center Friday and said there were about 250 children from Guatemala, with the rest coming from El Salvador and Honduras. Teenage mothers with their children are also being detained separately, he said.

The station began housing children flown from south Texas on May 31. About 400 were scheduled to arrive Friday but, because of mechanical problems with the planes, only about 60 arrived, the Homeland Security official said. Saturday's flights were canceled, also because of mechanical problems. There are flights scheduled through mid-June. Federal authorities plan to use the Nogales facility as a station where the children will be vaccinated and checked medically. They will then be sent to facilities being set up in Ventura, Calif.; San Antonio; and Fort Sill, Okla. The Homeland Security official said the children would be moved out of the Nogales site as soon as Health and Human Services Department finds places for them. But the official said: "As quickly as we move them out, we get more. We believe this is just a start." The children being held in Nogales are 17 and younger. The official estimated three of every four were at least 16.

Nogales Mayor Arturo Garino visited the facility Saturday, but he did not get inside the site where the children were being held. Garino said he did meet with Border Patrol officials. He was told some of the children are as young as 1 year old. "I have all the faith in the world as mayor and as a citizen of Nogales that our Border Patrol is doing the best and the most kind and humane thing with the children," Garino said. The town has begun collecting clothing donations for the kids, he said.

Wilder said reports from consulates that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security was stopping the program to fly alien families to Arizona and then bus them to Phoenix were incorrect. Instead, the program that has shipped unknown thousands of adult aliens and their children to Arizona since last month shows no sign of stopping, he said. In a statement Friday, Homeland Security officials said "appropriate custody determinations will be made on a case by case basis" for aliens apprehended in south Texas. The department declined to comment on the reports that the program of flying illegal alien families to Arizona was being halted. Homeland Security started flying them to Arizona from the Rio Grande Valley in Texas last month after the number of aliens, including more than 48,000 children traveling on their own, overwhelmed the Border Patrol there. The children were flown from Texas, released in Arizona, and told to report to an U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement office near where they were traveling within 15 days.

Brewer sent an angry letter to President Barack Obama on Monday demanding that the program of dropping off families at bus stations in Phoenix stop immediately. She called the program dangerous and unconscionable, asked for details and demanded to know why state authorities weren't consulted or even informed. The governor said she hadn't received a response to her letter by Friday.
    Source

Holy shit
    sigpic

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
    Source

Holy shit
    The feds really like crapping all over Arizona immigration wise. If I were Brewer I would bus them all and deposit them on the White House lawn saying " YOU created the problem…YOU deal with it."
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Homeland Security chief in hot seat over surge in illegal immigrants
      June 11, 2014

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson faced tough questions from Congress on Wednesday about a recent surge in illegal immigration, and agreed with lawmakers that a wave of unaccompanied children crossing illegally into the U.S. constitutes a "humanitarian crisis." “Our current system is broken and unsatisfactory,” Johnson said in testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee. “We have 11.5 million undocumented in this country. They aren’t going away.” In recent months, America’s immigration policies have come under fire, heavily criticized by both Republicans and Democrats for creating a magnet.

Addressing a related concern of lawmakers, Johnson said government attorneys are reviewing the criteria for how the Obama administration releases some criminal immigrants facing deportation while detaining others. Last month, the Obama administration acknowledged it had released more than 36,000 criminal immigrants living in the country illegally, including those accounting for 193 homicides and 426 sexual assaults.
      Source

wtf?
      sigpic

Comment

ICE Document Details 36,000 Criminal Alien Releases in 2013 | Center for Immigration Studies

That's where they get those numbers from. Radical conservative anti-southern-immigrant think tank. But you can probably guess that from the use of the words "the Obama administration".

In 2013, ICE freed 36,007 convicted criminal aliens from detention who were awaiting the outcome of deportation proceedings, according to a document obtained by the Center for Immigration Studies.

Of course they state nowhere which document, obtained from where, and to what extent they didn't just pull those numbers out of their own arse. "Release" by their own admission, btw, refers to the standard US judicial proceedings of bond release, supervision (incl. tracked) or parole, i.e. criminals who are sentenced to punishment other than imprisonment.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          If I were Brewer I would bus them all and deposit them on the White House lawn saying " YOU created the problem…YOU deal with it."
          You mean like South Italian police does it with illegal immigrants - bussing them to the capital and then just leaving them there?

'Italy abandons refugees without food': UN - The Local

(why aren't we making France, the UK and the US pay for those immigrants btw? oh, and Italy of course. after all, it's them that enpowered the islamist regime in Libya that's now pushing all those immigrants across the sea that Gaddafi held back for us...)

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
            ICE Document Details 36,000 Criminal Alien Releases in 2013 | Center for Immigration Studies

That's where they get those numbers from. Radical conservative anti-southern-immigrant think tank. But you can probably guess that from the use of the words "the Obama administration".

In 2013, ICE freed 36,007 convicted criminal aliens from detention who were awaiting the outcome of deportation proceedings, according to a document obtained by the Center for Immigration Studies.

Of course they state nowhere which document, obtained from where, and to what extent they didn't just pull those numbers out of their own arse. "Release" by their own admission, btw, refers to the standard US judicial proceedings of bond release, supervision (incl. tracked) or parole, i.e. criminals who are sentenced to punishment other than imprisonment.
            The indictment in the OP stands. Even Obama admitted the recent influx constitutes a humanitarian disaster.

Dumping unattended children in triple-degree heat at bus stations in Tuscon and Phoenix is unconscionable and perhaps even criminal.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              The feds really like crapping all over Arizona immigration wise. If I were Brewer I would bus them all and deposit them on the White House lawn saying " YOU created the problem…YOU deal with it."
              The lawn created the problem? I am lost...

The indictment in the OP stands. Even Obama admitted the recent influx constitutes a humanitarian disaster.

Dumping unattended children in triple-degree heat at bus stations in Tuscon and Phoenix is unconscionable and perhaps even criminal.
              Minskaya,

Nowhere in the article does it say that the children are unattended. Also, I don't see how this keeps getting turned into "the federal govt is shipping illegals to Arizona for Arizona to deal with." Nowhere in the article does it mention anything about the State of Arizona actually having to do anything with the immigrants. It's an entirely FEDERAL OPERATION...The federal govt ASKED the state for help, but nothing more. Frankly, they probably aren't even expecting help from Brewer.
              Last edited by Squirrel; 12 Jun 14,, 17:33. Reason: grammar, punctuation
              "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

It's not like they're being shipped into bus stations, kicked off the bus and left wandering... They're being taken to various detention and holding centers until Health and Human Services can process them. These DHS facilities already exist in Arizona. It's not like they're setting up tent-cities. This is a case of a situation overwhelming pre-existing resources. The alternative appears to be putting them back on planes destined for their country of origin and letting those countries take care of them. This is probably the easiest solution but to expect that the country of origin that is screwed up enough that said migrant decided to leave in the first place will take care of them when they return is asking a lot.

While we can discuss the merits and detriments of deterring/preventing illegal immigration, this issue is about processing individuals once they have entered and were detained. If Brewer were upset that it was HER state that had to deal with this (in an indirect manner- it appears allocation of state resources is occurring because federal resources were not prepared in the region) then that's one thing. But to be honest "stopping the buses" won't do anything. These children and other individuals will simply be held in an equally/more packed detention/processing center in Texas instead.

Comment

Nah, the initial thing about the bus stations seems to be the catch-and-release policy. Immigrants, provided they can give an address of relatives or friends in the country and seem halfway reliable, are basically given a bus ticket there and told to report to the local immigration official within two weeks. Guess a couple people gave a random address in Tucson or Phoenix? There is also some sort of refugee/homeless camp at those bus stations, but that's apparently more like under 50 people. Not the 700 that got off the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                    Nah, the initial thing about the bus stations seems to be the catch-and-release policy. Immigrants, provided they can give an address of relatives or friends in the country and seem halfway reliable, are basically given a bus ticket there and told to report to the local immigration official within two weeks. Guess a couple people gave a random address in Tucson or Phoenix? There is also some sort of refugee/homeless camp at those bus stations, but that's apparently more like under 50 people. Not the 700 that got off the bus.
                    I should have clarified- I was referring to the children being sent to Nogales in that they weren't being dumped on the streets of various Arizona metropolitan areas sans adult supervision.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                      Minskaya,
                      Nowhere in the article does it say that the children are unattended.
                      Sorry. English isn't my native language. I should have used "unaccompanied" (i.e. they crossed the border alone)...

Last week, nearly 1,000 "unaccompanied alien children" had already arrived in Tucson and Phoenix from places like McAllen and El Paso, Texas, as part of a resettlement process of the minors, most of whom come from Central America, to their native countries. Homeland Security is prohibited from immediately deporting the children if they are not from Canada or Mexico, causing the backlog of immigrants in U.S. detention centers. Facilities in Texas were at or near capacity for the immigrants because of a "record increase in underage migrants," which led to the transfer of hundreds to Arizona, a spokesman said."The situation with the kids are they came by themselves, they have no relatives here, and the consulates can't keep up. They're in limbo. There's no one (back home) to deport them to," a DHS spokesman told CNN.

More than 60,000 unaccompanied juveniles are expected to cross in 2014, said Chris Cabrera, vice president of the National Border Patrol Council in the Rio Grande Valley, a U.S. Border Patrol workers union. "We are seeing numbers that we've never seen before in this part of the country," Cabrera told CNN last month. "Yesterday, we had 60 minors in one station alone. You're talking kids from 17 years old on down to some that are 5 or 6 years old, traveling by themselves."
                      CNN
                      sigpic

Comment

No 5 or 6 year just ups and wanders off across the desert to sneak across the border. There has to be more to it than that. These ages and numbers? Smells more like some kind of coordinated dump and those organizing it are using children. They had a couple of planes transfer some of them up here to Hanscom and Logan in Boston. Veterans have to wait months, even years to get medical care and people crossing the border illegally can get picked up and shipped all over the country in a day. Just seems odd.
                        Last edited by DonBelt; 13 Jun 14,, 03:39.

Comment

Sorry. English isn't my native language. I should have used "unaccompanied" (i.e. they crossed the border alone)...

CNN
                          No worries.

I think the bigger issue is that these children were sent off by their parents/families in the hopes of reaching America and a better life. These people aren't stupid. They know that it's hard for these kids to be sent back, that's exactly what they're hoping for. These people also know that their children will be better cared for in custody of the federal agents than in their own. Frankly, it's a really f*cked up situation. But, I have friends and family members that are BP agents. I have done ride-alongs with them. I have seen this first hand. This is a political football that gets kicked around instead of effed up realities being faced. It bothers me deeply when distortions from either side paint any different picture than the reality of the situation. Agents walk a tightrope every damn day they are out there, doing the best that they can, from top to bottom. Don't even get me started on that complete bullmess called "fast and furious"...that thing stinks to high heaven of political jockeying and unnecessarily damaged the image of BP agents.

Sorry, tangent. But one this hits very close to home for me.
                          "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

From what I understand, some of the recent influx has to do with criminal gangs in Central America. If the parent(s) are in America, they will telephone the parents and demand money for the security of the children back home. Since the parent(s) can't leave the US and keep their jobs etc, they simply instruct their kids to join them in America immediately. An ugly situation.
                            sigpic

Comment

Donbelt

For all the issues surrounding the VA don't conflate the medical checks of these folks with Veterans care.

The reason they were sent to Hanscom is so they could be seen at the DOJ Health Facility at Devens. That is where Boat Ballast was taken after he was caught in Watertown. The DOJ and PHS provide medical support to the CBP operations not the VA.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X