This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    But an American Councilor is not a full diplomat and therefore, would be subject to discrimination based upon his nationality. Let me rephrase. Does IBM need to start paying their workers in India American wages?
    It can be made on a case by case basis. Foreign consular workers are not in the same class as foreign workers. They are a in a different class.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
      It can be made on a case by case basis.
      Translation: appropriate bribes. Hitesh, hearing your countrymen, how long do you think before your bureaucrats extend this money making schemes to all the other countries?

Comment

Translation: appropriate bribes. Hitesh, hearing your countrymen, how long do you think before your bureaucrats extend this money making schemes to all the other countries?
        Don't know but you were asking about the legality of it and I showed you how it could be legal. The point is that now Americans are on a short leash. GoI is hopping mad.

Comment

• If Indian consular officers who do not have full diplomatic immunity break American laws then I expect them to be prosecuted by US courts.

If US consular officers who do not have full diplomatic immunity break Indian laws then I expect them to be prosecuted by Indian courts.

All the wailing and gnashing of teeth is a waste of oxygen and time.

If 2 great countries can be brought to cross purposes by petty criminals.....well then we are not great countries.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Am I reading this right?

Khobragade went to an Indian Court to stop Richards from getting her American rights in the US.

The Indian Court issued an arrest warrant for a labour dispute.

The Indian Court also forbade Richards from seeking American legal actions against Khobragade in the United States.

On what planet is this Indian Court on? I forbid you to seek legal help.
            Again, the maid wanted the monies owed to her, the employer refused and used home country legal threats- all the requirements of human trafficking are now met.

For all the Indian chest thumpers- why are you all still calling her a diplomat? She is a consular official who committed a felony and per the relevant treaties can be prosecuted.

Comment

Don't know but you were asking about the legality of it and I showed you how it could be legal. The point is that now Americans are on a short leash. GoI is hopping mad.

The US on a short leash... I honestly didn't know you had a sense of humor.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                Well you can't say that those without immunity are really care-free. There will be someone picked on random to satisfy the masses.

Would you be so comfy if you would be the candidate for that role?
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Americans, not US. The context is activities in India and what extent will they be permitted. Try to keep up.

Comment

Again, the maid wanted the monies owed to her, the employer refused and used home country legal threats- all the requirements of human trafficking are now met.

For all the Indian chest thumpers- why are you all still calling her a diplomat? She is a consular official who committed a felony and per the relevant treaties can be prosecuted.
                    No, the maid and the diplomat had an agreement before she came into US and she was totally fine with that. Now she is using the US law as a way of double dipping considering she did received benefits such as free lodging, food, medical care, etc. expenses that had to be paid by the employer.

She wants to hide behind the minimum wage law to get more money than to what she originally agreed to. When she wanted more money, she was let go and then she tried to come back against the diplomat using the law as a weapon. The minimum wage law was created in the first place to allow people with low incomes to get affordable housing and food so they wouldn't be on the streets starving.

You refuse to see the fact that the maid is double-dipping.

Comment

No, the maid and the diplomat had an agreement before she came into US and she was totally fine with that.
                      People are greedy, yes.

Now she is using the US law as a way of double dipping considering she did received benefits such as free lodging, food, medical care, etc. expenses that had to be paid by the employer.
                      Can the employer prove that? I think someone mentioned that if it is an option, they would have no problem.

She wants to hide behind the minimum wage law to get more money than to what she originally agreed to.
                      The law overrides previous and current agreements.

When she wanted more money, she was let go and then she tried to come back against the diplomat using the law as a weapon.
                      That can be used as a defense in court. Why the employer didn't report the let go?

The minimum wage law was created in the first place to allow people with low incomes to get affordable housing and food so they wouldn't be on the streets starving.
                      Intentions for writing a law is one thing, what's written in it is another. Judges rule by what's written. Right?

Why not let the court decide for it?
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• BM,

While I can see you are upset over the double dipping....does her double dipping as you say it violate US law?
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

No, the maid and the diplomat had an agreement before she came into US and she was totally fine with that. Now she is using the US law as a way of double dipping considering she did received benefits such as free lodging, food, medical care, etc. expenses that had to be paid by the employer.
                          Not a diplomat, a consular official. They are legally separate categories. Try and keep up.

Second, benefits do not count towards the hourly minimum wage. For example a US worker making min wage will only get paid $7.25 per hour directly but indirectly the employers is also contributing to FICA, workmans comp and unemployment insurance on the employee's behalf. $7.25 per hour min wage means per hour regardless of fringe benefits.

She wants to hide behind the minimum wage law to get more money than to what she originally agreed to. When she wanted more money, she was let go and then she tried to come back against the diplomat using the law as a weapon. The minimum wage law was created in the first place to allow people with low incomes to get affordable housing and food so they wouldn't be on the streets starving.
                          That is not what the evidence suggests. The evidence suggest it was the employer who first turned to the courts- Indian courts for something happening on US soil. An employers with a history of abusing the legal system and purgery back in India.

The Visa application says the maid was promised $4500 a month. That fact requires one of three other conditions to now exist- 1. Either the maid is getting ripped off (human trafficking) or 2. the employers committed fraud- both are felonies that consular officials can be prosecuted for. neither of them by the way depend in any way on the actions of the maid. 3. both 1 and 2 can be true at the same time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            If Indian consular officers who do not have full diplomatic immunity break American laws then I expect them to be prosecuted by US courts.

If US consular officers who do not have full diplomatic immunity break Indian laws then I expect them to be prosecuted by Indian courts.

All the wailing and gnashing of teeth is a waste of oxygen and time.

If 2 great countries can be brought to cross purposes by petty criminals.....well then we are not great countries.
                            Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this if it wasn't for the way the Indian diplomat was treated. The rough treatment of the diplomat is viewed as a personal affront against Indian sovereignty. If US had declared her persona non grata and issued a show cause notice or subpoena to appear in court, then the GoI would have not interfere and let this matter be dealt quietly. But somebody at the higher ups of US agencies wasn't have any of that and wanted a public display and got GoI involved and made it lose face. Now you got all this brouhaha.

There is no easy way out with a face saving move.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              BM,

While I can see you are upset over the double dipping....does her double dipping as you say it violate US law?
                              Remains to be seen as how she files her income return. But the point remains is that she wasn't mistreated or subjugated to slavery conditions as zraver is so fond of saying. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If US had dealt with this matter quietly and told GoI in a private message to take this consular officer back and pay up what is owed or come to an agreement, the entire matter would have been resolved. But no, somebody decided to publicly humiliate the diplomat and in the process of doing so, made GoI lose face. That is something GoI cannot tolerate.

Comment

• ^^^ She was treated the same as a US citizen would have been... No loss of face from that. The only loss of face is India throwing a temper tantrum like a spoiled child. So much for India being ready for the big leagues and a spot on the security council.....

Comment

Working...
                                X