Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankly, I have no problems with that. I do not want to send people representing my country to other countries who will insult those countries. If being gay insults you, then I should have enough sense not to send a gay ambassador to live in your house. Your house, your rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Fine. Get it through Parliment. And it will not be for Americans alone, you have to apply the same standards to Iran, China, Russia, Japan, the EU, Bangladesh, and Pakistan.
      No the standards does not have to be applied to those countries. The reciprocity doesn't work that way. India can pass a law singling out a group and start demanding more payment like US has done with the H1-B visas towards India.

Still is. Until India orders the Embassies closed, she cannot say what is and what is not Diplomatic Territory.
      Yes she can. She can say that this land is no longer suitable for diplomatic territory. Recall the time when Gaddafi came to NYC and he wanted to pitch a tent in the middle of the Libyan grounds and US said no? There is your counter example.

Comment

• This is getting way out of hand and way too emotional.

I am surprised officials and diplomats fall on this.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
          No the standards does not have to be applied to those countries. The reciprocity doesn't work that way. India can pass a law singling out a group and start demanding more payment like US has done with the H1-B visas towards India.
          I really like to see how that would survive a Consitutional Challenge on discrimination.

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
          Yes she can. She can say that this land is no longer suitable for diplomatic territory. Recall the time when Gaddafi came to NYC and he wanted to pitch a tent in the middle of the Libyan grounds and US said no? There is your counter example.
          It wasn't Libyan territory. It was Donald Trump's property that Libya rented.

Comment

Frankly, I have no problems with that. I do not want to send people representing my country to other countries who will insult those countries. If being gay insults you, then I should have enough sense not to send a gay ambassador to live in your house. Your house, your rules.
            Colonel, none of this was necessary. I absolutely abhor that ancient anti-gay law and hope they get rid of it soon, but the US wants to play dirty. Diplomats are given a bit of leeway unless it results in something serious like death or physical harm (and US diplomats have gotten away with those too in some countries). From what I hear, US diplomats in India have received their fair share of leeway. This recent tit-for-tat could have been completely avoided if the US had simply declared Khobragade persona-non-grata instead of going the whole hog with the strip searching, confiscating her passport and now her impending prosecution.

Comment

Rented, leased or owned doesn't matter. If it is Embassy it's considered foreign soil. I think.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                This recent tit-for-tat could have been completely avoided if the US had simply declared Khobragade persona-non-grata instead of going the whole hog with the strip searching, confiscating her passport and now her impending prosecution.
                Don't you get it? She pissed somebody off.

Comment

• Bigfella, the US officials in india live in a sugar coated environment created and maintained by new delhi. The politicians in delhi are threatening to remove it. That's whats happening right now.

And india is going according to the "law of the land" argument. It means "law of the land" triumphs over any and every diplomatic rights of the US officials. The argument was and is being made by the US officials in USA whenever indian officials argue against the arrest of devyani.

India is saying, "if the US is making that argument, we will too".
                  Last edited by anil; 17 Dec 13,, 15:55.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    Rented, leased or owned doesn't matter. If it is Embassy it's considered foreign soil. I think.
                    Doesn't take away from the property owner's rights. Donald Trump was the one who removed the tent, not the US Government.

Comment

Don't you get it? She pissed somebody off.
                      Who? Or is this just a result of Preet Bharara's opportunism? In any case, this has pissed India off now. The US has actually managed to unite the ruling and opposition politicians. Both sides refused to meet a US Congressional delegation currently in India (or on its way, I'm not sure). It's just a symbolic gesture for now but hopefully there's more to follow like the steps being taken to remove privileges accorded to US diplomats.
                      Last edited by Firestorm; 17 Dec 13,, 15:56.

Comment

Who?
                        Don't know but the NYPD said the orders to treat her per SOP came from higher up, ie the cops were going to be nice until ordered otherwise.

Comment

• I will lay 10 to 1 odds that this will become a LAW AND ORDER CSI episode.

Comment

Don't know but the NYPD said the orders to treat her per SOP came from higher up, ie the cops were going to be nice until ordered otherwise.
                            They picked a great time to pull off this stunt. Elections are around the corner in India and politicians are going to be falling over themselves to show that they are "responding".

Comment

They picked a great time to pull off this stunt. Elections are around the corner in India and politicians are going to be falling over themselves to show that they are "responding".
                              God send to your politicians. They don't have to deal with real issues.

Comment

I really like to see how that would survive a Consitutional Challenge on discrimination.
                                US doesn't fall under that category of class protected from discrimination. Besides it is foreign government to foreign government

I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                                X