Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know what? I sincerely hope this lady gets prosecuted! She deliberately lied and broke US law. It appears what she did was more than just "poor judgement". Just a quick search on google on her past:

Diplomat in visa row owns flat in scam-tainted Adarsh Society - Rediff.com India News
    Devyani Khobragade, was also involved in the Adarsh Housing Scam and admitted to the investigators of the case that she owned 2 flats in the buildings illegally constructed on government land. Devyani Khobragade, who is the daughter of the former BEST GM Uttam Khobragade, admitted that she had acquired a flat in the Meera Cooperative Society in Oshiwara, built on government land, when her father was the CEO and Vice President of MHADA (Maharashtra Housing & Area Development Authority). She also said her father had signed the application on her behalf when she had applied for the flat in the Adarsh Housing Society, as she was posted in Germany at the time.
    Devyani Khobragade

Background into that scam:
    "In 2002, a request was made to the office of the Chief Minister to allot land for the construction of a housing complex for "the welfare of serving and retired personnel of the Defence Services".

It so happened that politicians from different political parties, bureaucrats and other officials colluded to bend several rules and perpetrate various acts of omission and commission in order to have the building constructed and then got themselves allotted flats in this premier property at artificially lowered prices."
    Worst political scandals of independent India

So clearly misusing power, circumventing and bending laws for personal gain is nothing new for her. She is used to it, and used to getting away scot free. I sincerely hope the US brings her to the book! Give her a taste of judicial justice.
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

• She is obviously suffering from Affluenza!

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
        She is obviously suffering from Affluenza!
        A fitting treatment for this "disorder" should be a trip to a labour camp..

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
          Stripped, searched alongwith sex workers and drug addicts: Khobragade's ordeal

Disgusting. Gross violations of protocol here. If a US diplomat had been strip-searched in India, there would have been B-52's over Delhi by now...
          It would be nice if we could get some verification of this story

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            It would be nice if we could get some verification of this story
            Depending on how fast the system was, while in booking she would be stripped, searched, showered and put into a jail uniform. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              General question since I don't have the specifics on Richards. How much schooling for such a maid have?
              Sir, depends on the region from which the maid hails. In this case I am assuming that the maid is from my state (Maharashtra). Here primary education for girls is free (paid for by the state). So she would have completed 10+2 and may or may not be a college graduate.

With a sur name of Richard - would indicate that she is belongs to the Protestant or Methodist church.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• This whole issue is starting to stink now....

Diplomat Devyani strip-searched, India snubs US team - The Times of India

I think all embassies and consulates should brief their staff on the law concerning maids and domestic help in the host country. They should also stop permitting getting domestic help from the home country unless all legalities are addressed.

God!!.... women and and their maids will bring two nations into the boxing ring!:slap:
                Last edited by lemontree; 17 Dec 13,, 05:42.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Obviously a typical corrupt GoI leech. It goes without saying that to swing a plum posting like New York she must have some serious connections and black money power.
                  Eating our tax money and enjoying Manhattan.

In her arrogance she forgot that outside India she cant ignore laws that are inconvenient to her.
                  Throw the book at her.
                  For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Well, this thread is certainly dividing opinion!
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                      You know what? I sincerely hope this lady gets prosecuted! She deliberately lied and broke US law. It appears what she did was more than just "poor judgement". Just a quick search on google on her past:

Diplomat in visa row owns flat in scam-tainted Adarsh Society - Rediff.com India News

Background into that scam:

So clearly misusing power, circumventing and bending laws for personal gain is nothing new for her. She is used to it, and used to getting away scot free. I sincerely hope the US brings her to the book! Give her a taste of judicial justice.
                      So you would rather that India surrender her sovereignity and let US trample all over her?

She doesn't even own the land. Her father did. Are you now transferring the alleged sins of the father to the daughter.

Let me ask you something. Do you despise wealthy people? People who have maids?

Comment

• :pop: MkII
                        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                          So you would rather that India surrender her sovereignity and let US trample all over her?
                          An Indian government official has no sovereign right to break another country's law on that territory, no matter how habituated they are at breaking laws back home.

She doesn't even own the land. Her father did. Are you now transferring the alleged sins of the father to the daughter.
                          This tells another story:

"Devyani applied for a flat in Adarsh in 2004. She also acquired an apartment in Meera Cooperative Society in Oshiwara, which was constructed on land given by Mhada. On Friday, Devyani insisted that the Oshiwara flat's construction was completed in 2005; therefore, she could have been said to become an owner only then. Since she sold the Oshiwara flat in 2008 and was allotted the Adarsh flat in 2009, "at no point of time I owned two flats in Mumbai," claimed Devyani, who is currently a director in the external affairs ministry."
                          "On cross-examination, however, she admitted that she still owned a flat in Meera society. "I am not aware of the 1999 government resolution that if I am holding a flat in a cooperative housing society, I would not be entitled to another flat in a different housing society," Devyani said, while confessing that the info she gave at the time of applying for Adarsh that she did not own any flat in Mumbai was incorrect."

Adarsh member blames Gidwani for ?incorrect info? - Times Of India

In short, a lying scumbag.

She owned the Adarsh flat, not her father. Her father just abused his position to get her prime estate property at dirt cheap rates.

Let me ask you something. Do you despise wealthy people? People who have maids?
                          No, just thieves.

She certainly doesn't come from an affluent family background. It is evident that her father used his position to allot her prime property, meant for war veterans and defence services, at dirt rate prices so she could sell it later at much higher prime rates. And this we know only because the Adarsh scam became national news. I wonder what other dubious means they used to acquire their black wealth. A family of lying, habituated corrupt thieves.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            Dude... why are you defending her and not the poor servant she abused....
                            She was not abused. She got way better benefits than she would have gotten in India and she suffered no physical abuse no limitation on freedom. She started suffering limitations of freedom when she started blackmailing and started demanding more money. After that she was let go.

I wonder how Hitesh feels about the situation for Indian workers and domestic servansa in Dubai where the only functional difference is the nationality of the abuser?
                            Fine you want my opinion. Those workers not suffering from physical abuse or no limitations on freedom got way better benefits than they got in India. It is different when the owners start treating them like crap and beating them up. There is no allegation of such thing in Khobarde's case. The police did not even file a domestic abuse case. Only visa fraud. And you are extrapolating all the way to the deep end like you did back in the germany prison camp guards and gave graphic descriptions of guilt and such. Sorry you are way out of the box on this one.

Where is the abuse being alleged other than being required to be paid minimum wage? The maid got a better deal because she got free benefits which outweighed the minimum wage and you are completely ignoring that fact. Do you know what minimum wage is for? the purpose of the minimum wage? It is to allow people with very limited means to provide adequate lodging and food on the table and eke out a passable living. With the benefits she got, the purpose of the minimum wage has already been served.

Comment

• Hitesh, you are arguing for an Indian bureaucrat to deny American rights to a person on American soil. You are arguing for an Indian to break American law on American soil as she sees fit, even when she does not have the authority, especially when she does not have the authority to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                                Hitesh, you are arguing for an Indian bureaucrat to deny American rights to a person on American soil. You are arguing for an Indian to break American law on American soil as she sees fit, even when she does not have the authority, especially when she does not have the authority to do so.
                                Fine but did such actions warrant such treatment by the police. It would be one thing for the Americans to say to Indians that she is non persona grata and demand she leave the country immediately but to arrest her, parade her, and strip search her while violating every diplomatic norm?

Fine, the lesson I am taking from this is that Americans can expect no different when they come to India. I hope to hell that each law breaker get arrested, paraded, strip searched, photographed, and thrown in with the general population and be made to pay huge exorbitant amount of bail.

If State Department ever so make a pipsqueak about the treatment, they should be served a big cup of "STFU" tea.

Comment

Working...
                                X