X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Government Shutdown

U.S. Nears Shutdown as House Votes To Delay Health Law
    September 29, 2013

WASHINGTON—The U.S. government moved to within hours of its first shutdown since 1996, as House Republicans redoubled their drive early Sunday to delay the new health care law and Senate Democrats stood firm against changing the law as a condition of funding federal departments. The standoff left little prospect that Congress could reach agreement on terms for funding the government by midnight Monday, when the current fiscal year expires. A shutdown would leave essential services operating but prompt federal agencies to suspend many functions and furlough hundreds of thousands of workers.

On a 231-192 vote, the House early Sunday passed a one-year delay of the health law, often called Obamacare, and attached it to a plan to fund the government through Dec. 15. The legislation now goes to the Senate. It also includes a provision repealing a tax on medical devices intended to help finance the health law, which the House approved on a 248-174 vote. The stare-down between the two chambers intensified as Democratic aides said Mr. Reid had no plans to call the Senate into session before its planned Monday afternoon return. That will be just hours before government funding for many federal functions runs out with the end of the fiscal year. The next step is unclear, as no official business on Capitol Hill is planned for Sunday. There was no sign negotiations were being scheduled among congressional leaders and no lawmakers—from graybeards to backbenchers—said they were optimistic that a shutdown would be averted.
    Source: WSJ.com

It certainly looks like a federal government shutdown will occur on October 1. From my understanding, Congress and US military personnel will continue to be paid.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

It certainly looks like a federal government shutdown will occur on October 1. From my understanding, Congress and US military personnel will continue to be paid.
    I wish Congress does not get paid during the shutdown, the certainly don't deserve it
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
      I wish Congress does not get paid during the shutdown, the certainly don't deserve it
      They live from their salaries? :red:
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        Dude,we think the same too much.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Good. Let it all fall down.

Comment

Why not make them personally financially responsible for any budget shortfall? A Congressional 'bail in'.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
              Why not make them personally financially responsible for any budget shortfall? A Congressional 'bail in'.
              That way the ceiling will be 2x the debt at any given time.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                Dude,we think the same too much.
                Chernobyl winds maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

The military will be paid on the first. That is the last paycheck they will see until Congress grows up

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    Of course not.

But I bet self interest will kick in. On second thoughts, maybe not. The Cock brothers will probably be chipping in anyway
                    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      The military will be paid on the first. That is the last paycheck they will see until Congress grows up
                      Out of curiosity...

Whenever they reach a deal, is there a mechanism for retro-payments?

Or you guys just get unpaid leave? What happens if someone invades you?

Comment

Of course not.

But I bet self interest will kick in. On second thoughts, maybe not. The Cock brothers will probably be chipping in anyway
                        Naw, the theory is, like the military, Members of Congress are technically always on the job--can't be laid off or furloughed. Also they can't be detained on the way to the Capital to vote for a bill, even of they rob a 7-11 on the way and get caught.
                        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

This temper tantrum has real impacts.

1. A workforce that has not had a pay raise in 3 years, been laid off 7 to 22 days this year and face more unpaid days gets shafted again. Oh and those employees swear an oath to have that job.

2. I follow a simple rule....if I receive money from the government....that is salary, payments, benefits I don't bitch about taxes...I don't have a right to.

3. When it is called the Affordable Care Act it polls in positive numbers. It only polls negative when called Obamacare.

4. Hey SEN Cruz, Theodore Giesel was a New Dealer! And at the end of the book Sam LIKES green eggs and ham! Way to miss point of the story.

5. And because of this I have to pull back my employees and leave Soldiers with an antiquated supply system.

The reason I dislike the Republicans is they keep forcing me to vote for Democrats!
                          Last edited by Albany Rifles; 29 Sep 13,, 21:35.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            The reason I dislike the Republicans is they keep forcing me to vote for Democrats!
                            Well, I'm a Republican, and I and a lot of Republicans I know are none too happy with the tea party Republicans in Congress, especially Cruz, whose phoney filibuster wasted crucial time and cut the legs out from under Boehner who was crafting a compromise that stood a decent chance of ending the stalemate.

I don't think the tea party members in the House thought this through. A budget extension with a provision to defund Obamacare doesn't have a chance.

They were blinded by the belief that this is their last best chance to kill Obamacare, but chance is probability, and the probability that Obama would sign a bill to defund the ACA and be robbed of his place in history is virtually nil.

Furthermore, they really didn't see that if the government is shut-down because neither side gives in, their side will get the blame, and that can translate into lost elections if a shutdown sets the economy back.

Meanwhile, the insurance exchanges open October 1. The websites are already up. People who couldn't afford health insurance before are poised to get cheap coverage. Defunding would force shutting down the whole thing.

My guess is some last minute deal will be made to save face for the GOP, but it won't be defunding Obamacare.
                            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

JAD

That the Grand Old Party would become this.

You and I see it on our TV daily with Cuchenelli and McCaulife.

Really? This is the best the Old Dominion can do?

As I say ....Where is Dirksen? Where is Hollingsworth? Where is Rockefeller? Where is Nunn? Where is Baker?

Tip and Dutch may have trashed each other in private (or semi-private) but they GOVERNED!!!!

Where the hell is governing in all of this???
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X