Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link to the FBI footage to the shooting:
    Video Footage of Shooter at Washington Navy Yard - YouTube
    And since I cannot edit my posts yet(don't know if link(s) will work), for safe keeping, here's another link
    FBI Releases Footage of Navy Yard Shooter | FP Passport

Comment

He had to be crazy, he drove a Prius!
      Investigators: Navy Yard shooter

Comment

So he had 2 prior shooting incidents and a record of mental illness. What additional gun laws would've stopped this? Maybe his 3rd shooting incident and they would've done something about it then? Well his 3rd one resulted in 12 deaths plus his own so too late for that! I'm against the majority of so-called gun control laws, but I don't have any major objections to a back ground check. Doctors should report people with mental illnesses that would prevent them from making rational decisions, violent felons and people with restraining orders should be on the list. Have an appeals or review process as necessary. And if you commit a crime with a firearm you should lose the right. But instead we will have to face yet more restrictions and accusations of "nutty gun owners".

Comment

Don,

I highly doubt that additional gun laws would actually have an impact in society at large. It's simply an issue in which people want to control in order to make themselves feel good when falling asleep at night, similar to the TSA's job. And to achieve that erroneous goal, people commit ad hominems left and right against "nutty gun owners." (which is an extremely effective method approach given that many people don't know the difference between a fallacious argument and a cogent one. Plus, it strikes an emotional cord, which is always a good technique.) There are so many guns out there (300 million or something like that right?) that any further gun laws (besides background checks - I support these) is pretty much useless. And don't even get me started on gun buy-back programs, one learns about how these are fundamentally useless in achieving there interests (which relates to my original point) in a basic micro econ class.

Comment

Well, who do we trust to make the right decisions, to decide whether someone is mentally stable to have a gun or not? This is a very slippery slope especially now when it seems we have a government in the medical decision business.

Comment

Don,

To make the very sane changes you recommend would require new laws and modifications to some existing laws (HIPA for example).
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

How would doctors file a report that one is insane?

What happens with the privileged relationship and secrecy?

Edit: AR already covered it :red:
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  How would doctors file a report that one is insane?

What happens with the privileged relationship and secrecy?
                  That's exactly the point. You lived under Big Brother. I for one have no desire to. For me, I have lately taken to the phrase that is becoming very current among like-minded Americans: "μολὼν λαβέ" ("come and take")

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                    That's exactly the point. You lived under Big Brother. I for one have no desire to. For me, I have lately taken to the phrase that is becoming very current among like-minded Americans: "μολὼν λαβέ" ("come and take")
                    We have lived under Big Brother? Unfortunately, what is being installed over here, is nothing compared to the Commie days.
                    And that's some 40 years of filing various personal info, including "Unique Master Number of the Citizen", height, eye color, marital status...
                    To be worse, the Big Bro is gathering the data for God knows what, which would be everything, but what they say they do - our security.

From what's around on the net, The land of the free is not much better, if any.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                    X