No announcement yet.

Boston Marathon bombings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are right, there shouldn't be a witch-hunt for someone expressing their views.
    There are channels and forms how you can show your disdain with the current affairs.

If the majority don't share your view, you should respect that, not radicalize.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Why is the media calling Tamerlane wife by her maiden name Katherine and not her current adopted name that is, Karima? From her pictures of late, she is seems quite well settled as a muslim woman, which is the primary reason behind the name change?

What is the media hoping to achieve by this?

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
        I believe you understand the intricacies of law better than I do, being a lawyer. Are you saying that all legal immigrants have full US citizenship privileges, including the right to bear arms? or, does this apply to green card holders but not visa holders?
        Full citizenship privileges except right to vote on national stage but they may have right to vote in municipal elections depending on the state and local laws. They cannot run for any kind of political office. As for right to bear arms, that is dependent on state and local laws since Second Amendment is construed to be the domain of state's policing powers.

Here is a good primer:http://immigration.about.com/od/usvi...ers-Rights.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Sure, once you're in the country. But piss off the border agent before he stamps your card.
          Sure he can turn you away at the border crossing. But once past the border crossing and in the land one foot beyond the border crossing, he has to give you due process. And he cannot deny entry to valid green card holders no matter what the reasons. Sure he could arrest them but only for probable cause or under an outstanding arrest warrant. But then he can be sued for violations of civil rights

Comment

• Blademaster

1. Where is the right for ANY out of state student to be granted in state status?

2. The one year to residency for in state status is not universal. It left up to the 54 separate states and territories. In WV I had to pay state taxes for two years including when I went home for summer and Christmas plus my ARNG pay before I could APPLY for the residency for in state. When I went to grad school in VA I had to pay out of state even though I lived here for 3 years.

Don't like it? Go elsewhere.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              All things considered, it cost ~ $50,000+ a year for my university education in the US. But I wanted the best education available and as a bonus, I received the equivalent of six years of college in a four year span. No squabbles from me. I wouldn't change a thing and also learned quite a bit about the US and its people.
              sigpic

Comment

Blademaster

1. Where is the right for ANY out of state student to be granted in state status?

2. The one year to residency for in state status is not universal. It left up to the 54 separate states and territories. In WV I had to pay state taxes for two years including when I went home for summer and Christmas plus my ARNG pay before I could APPLY for the residency for in state. When I went to grad school in VA I had to pay out of state even though I lived here for 3 years.

I didn't believe it was a right either but that it was up to each individual state. In California the requirement is only one year, for out of state students, and they are granted in state tuition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                  A few updates...

Source: NECM.com

Apparently, a bin-Laden type burial is not too far-fetched.
                  Thinking like a lil Balkan boy, I wouldn't be surprised if the Feds make a total mess when the body is returned to them.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Ok then kiss goodbye to the massive subsidies that the foreign students bring and see your tuition costs go way up. There is a reaction for every action you take. There ain't a thing called free lunch. Your call.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                      I didn't believe it was a right either but that it was up to each individual state. In California the requirement is only one year, for out of state students, and they are granted in state tuition.
                      Some states was like 6 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                        Ok then kiss goodbye to the massive subsidies that the foreign students bring and see your tuition costs go way up. There is a reaction for every action you take. There ain't a thing called free lunch. Your call.
                        You are barking on a wrong three. He graduated when foreigners weren't subsiding US education*. And in my view it was a better system then the one they have today.

*That's if i calculated Buck's age correct from the other posts laying around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          You are barking on a wrong three. He graduated when foreigners weren't subsiding US education*. And in my view it was a better system then the one they have today.

No I am not. He was referring to the current state today.

Comment

It was like this in Madison, the out of state (and International) students paid much more, the university needed this money to survive. I was one of a handful of in state students to be accepted into the program in nuclear engineering, though I'm not aware of any in state students who were qualified and weren't accepted. It is expensive to operate these schools, and the money has to come from somewhere. While Clinton may have been good for the economy in general, he was very bad for our nuclear fusion programs, they suffered a 2/3 downsizing the year after I got in - I had to move into semiconductor research (and start over on my PhD research project) because my fusion program was cut. Many of our scientists who had spent years working in the field had to find new careers. It set nuclear fusion research back many decades, it still hasn't recovered.
                            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

What massive subsidy?

Per the International Institute of Education, the annual costs in 2008 (last year data is available) paid for higher education by students was $317 billion. Of that $13 billion was paid by international students. That is around 4.1% paid by those international students.

At my son's university here in Virginia, Longwood University, only 1% of the student body is international.

I am not getting any subsidy because of that enrollment.

I know it is different in other schools and other states. My father was a college administrator and president of 2 different colleges so I kind of know how the "sausage gets made" from the insiders view.

But do not assume it is the same impact across the board because it doesn't.

Universities and colleges have to make hard choices and update their programs to meet their needs and resources. While some are positively impacted others may not be. It could be argued also that for every international student enrolled that is one less citizen student who gets to go to that school.

I am not a nativist.

But higher education is a market place....if you do not like the goods and services at Whatsamatta U you are free to move to another institution which will accept you.

Let me ask this question...is it any different for Americans who choose to study abroad? I have one niece who went to University of Toronto and another who went to Saint Andrews. In both instances it had to do with what they wanted to study. And fortunately both were excellent students so were able to secure scholarships for large chunks of their tuition and my brother and sister respectively were able to cover costs. Did their US dollars sisidize those schools?
                              Last edited by Albany Rifles; 06 May 13,, 19:15.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post

My age approaches that of curmudgeon....
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X