Boston Marathon bombings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by machiavillain View Post
    Im not sure what you mean by no "leaks", no territorial squabbles and politics.
    Well the ex FBI guy was saying that in the past there had been a tendency for agencies to protect their turf, no share information, make selective "leaks" to undermine the other agencies to steal their thunder, that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
      Well the ex FBI guy was saying that in the past there had been a tendency for agencies to protect their turf, no share information, make selective "leaks" to undermine the other agencies to steal their thunder, that sort of thing.
      I see. Yeah i read an article a few years back regarding the change in IC information network. The cold war "need to know basis" has for the most part gone out the window.
      One cannot but examine it.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        Something I've been wrestling with, how did the bombs get in the trash cans. I assume the route was swept and putting a backpack in a trash can is so obviously a red flag in an area filled with police... Timing seems to suggest timed detonation. This points at the bombs being there pre-race. The explosives might or might not have been advanced, but beating a dogs nose is no easy task.

1. an explosive type dogs are not trained on.
        2. Packaging that could defeat a dogs nose
        3. Security failure in sweeping the route.
        A couple of terrorist mingling with the crowd carrying rucksacks. Easily mistaken for spectators they would go unnoticed. They probably rehearsed the places or opportunities to place a rucksack within/close to a crowded finish line. Who would notice while cheering on their friends and other runners...who would be vigilant enough to notice someone laying down a bag amidst the excitement of the race? And that is how these minds work. It's not science or brave, it's opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
          he who can profit from this incident is the responsible...
          Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Doesn't help.
          I don't think Big K meant cash wise but terror wise. Which group can get the most out of this in this world of terror we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            I don't think Big K meant cash wise but terror wise. Which group can get the most out of this in this world of terror we live in.
            Was thinking among same lines. Cash wise I only mentioned LE agencies. But, that's not only cash, there is also more liberty to conduct ops and therefor more influence.

If you think about it, hardly you can find any org on the planet that can't / wont "profit" from this incident.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Deleted.

Sorry, the timing was too much of a coincidence, so thought it would be relevant.

P.S. Don't know how to delete the photo.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by doppelganger; 17 Apr 13,, 15:29.

Comment

doppelganger,

wrong thread. please make another one in the appropriate forum.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                  I was watching interviews on CNN with ex FBI guys. The lone wolf phenomenon is more pointing to extreme right wingers than the jihadis.

My question is, would they do something like this in what is predominantly a part of "white" America?
                  Absolutely.

1. The Boston Marathon takes place on Patriots Day....a day commemorating the Minutemen who tirned out to turn back the British at Lexington & Concord in April 1775. Those bastards have twisted the meaning of that day and use it as their high "holy" day. (See OKC Bombing)

2. Its Boston....seen by many in that crowd as all that is "wrong" with those "Northeast Liberals".

3. This is a soft target....and it was aimed at the Regular Guys. A perfect target for those guys. Don't forget the Red Sox game had just gotten out about 45 minutes before this and a lot of fans went and lined Boylston Street to cheer on the runners. This is a tradition.

4. As to how the bombs could be placed there...the area was swept by bomb dogs....twice that morning. But it is an open event. No screening, no searches. Its impossible. People are flowing in and out of there all day. The businesses are all open. Backpacks are ubiquitous since so many runners meet loved ones and friends near the finish line with clothes, water, etc. What are one or 2 guys with a small duffel going to mean in a crowd like that. And it could have been one guy flowing into and out of the area over a 2 hour period with the timers set.

5. How are you going to secure the route? The Marathon wends through multiple small towns where people turn out in droves to cheer on the racers. People set up water stations, hand out oranges and food to any runner who wants them and on hot days will spray down the runners with a hose. You have 52 miles of sidewalks and roadside to secure...impossible.

Here is a great interview on NPR with Kevin Cullen of the Boston Globe who wrote an exceptiopnal editorial yesterday which sums up so much.

NPR Media Player

Here is his column

A perfect day turns evil - Metro - The Boston Globe

On a personal note I found out my niece, who is 5 months pregnant, left the blast radius about 90 seconds before the blast. She was there cheering on a friend. All okay.

And my brother has run the Marathon 4 times in the past. His announcement on his Facebook page last night sums the city's attitude so well.

"Screw them! Next year I run!" He filed his application this morning.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

I think it is time for every one around the world, Americans in particular to drop the phrase Conservative Right Wing Extremist every time terrorism happens in US. It creates unnecessary mistrust, disunity and hate.

By saying Conservative Right Winger I guess they mean pro-2nd amendment, pro-small government, pro-small tax, pro-liberty, pro-constitution person. None of those stances will radicalize a citizen to a point for him/her to go out there and commit mass murder. I personally know few of those individuals and I can attest that they won’t even step on an ant if not necessary, let alone murdering innocent people.

People like Andy Stack, Tim McVeigh, Terry Nichols, Breivik and Adam Lanza were/are not Conservative right wingers, they were/are pure deranged, twisted and psychopathic Anarchists murderers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
                      By saying Conservative Right Winger I guess they mean pro-2nd amendment, pro-small government, pro-small tax, pro-liberty, pro-constitution person. None of those stances will radicalize a citizen to a point for him/her to go out there and commit mass murder. I personally know few of those individuals and I can attest that they won’t even step on an ant if not necessary, let alone murdering innocent people.
                      If you add pro-gun, white supremacist, it completes a list which has various degrees of overlap, from what I have heard recenlt from an American friend, post this blast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        Thank you for sharing that.

He is right you know.

If it turns out to be Islamist, and not home grown, you will never feel safe again.

Sure life will go on. People will return to their normal lives. The city will recover and move on.

But they have told you that they can touch you. When they want to. Where they want to.

After 12 years of war, in two countries, and many lives lost and taken, and countless money spent.

They have told you it is not enough. Not nearly enough.

This is a war they are in for to the very end. It is time we realise it and prepare for the same.

But wars and occupations and intelligence is not going to stop them.

It is a net we lay out, and they will keep testing it, till they find a hole. And then they will come through.

I am saying this from personal experience. As my own city was bombed. And life changed forever.

Till today I look at parked cars, parked cycles, bags lying unattended. Till today I fear going into crowds that are common in India during our festivals.

The terror has worked. The seed of fear has taken root.

Comment

• this was a tiny pinprick next to 9-11. "never feel safe again"-- on the contrary, people are signing up for next year's marathon in droves.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            this was a tiny pinprick next to 9-11. "never feel safe again"-- on the contrary, people are signing up for next year's marathon in droves.
                            That is defiance. It is human. If you cannot hit back directly, you send the message you are not afraid. That your spirit is not cowed.

The line from Ghost Rider - you cannot live in fear.

But I actually believe that the jihadists have figured out that these bom blasts do more damage to the collective psyche than one big once in a lifetime hit like 9/11.

This is your first blast after 9/11.

We have 3-4 like these every year. And our population density means many more kills.

I hope you never have to go through the same. But you will agree the cases are different.

Comment

• Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                              If it turns out to be Islamist, and not home grown, you will never feel safe again.

But they have told you that they can touch you. When they want to. Where they want to.

we never felt safe, even if you don't count 1993 wtc bombing (that is when they told those that didn't want to hear before, others with more sence of reality, never tought they could not do bad things, whoever they are.

there is always a chance that you will get hit by a car, construction accedent, assault, natural event, fire.......

we have penty of wackos, that strike a lot more often than any islamist. and when we fly, i worry more about mechanical condition of the planes, than any terrorist attack, with budget cuts, and neglegent idiots, a lot more planes went down due to mech. problems.

i don't know what gave you an idea, americans thought, until now, we lived in a safe bubble and thought nothing bad can happen to us.
                              this isn't gona change us 1 bit.
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by omon View Post
                                we never felt safe, even if you don't count 1993 wtc bombing (that is when they told those that didn't want to hear before, others with more sence of reality, never tought they could not do bad things, whoever they are.

there is always a chance that you will get hit by a car, construction accedent, assault, natural event, fire.......

we have penty of wackos, that strike a lot more often than any islamist. and when we fly, i worry more about mechanical condition of the planes, than any terrorist attack, with budget cuts, and neglegent idiots, a lot more planes went down due to mech. problems.

i don't know what gave you an idea, americans thought, until now, we lived in a safe bubble and thought nothing bad can happen to us.
                                this isn't gona change us 1 bit.
                                Omon thanks for that perspective. Maybe looking in from outside some of us see or saw things differently.

Comment

Working...
                                X