Boston Marathon bombings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    When did the FBI find out? I thought it was only after they questioned younger brother in hospital. Was there still an active threat or was it clear by that point that this was just two guys on a spree?
    The FBI supposedly found out about the Times Square plot on Sunday night but didn't inform NY officials until Wednesday. I think the NY people complained because the Tsarnaev brothers could possibly have had undetected accomplices on the loose.

New York City officials are questioning why the FBI in Boston was slow to notify them that the surviving suspect in the marathon bombing said he and his brother had discussed coming to Times Square to detonate the rest of their explosives. Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Friday that "there was a lag in info," and added that officials "don't know why." "We certainly hope it does not happen again," Kelly said. The FBI had no immediate comment.
    Source: NBC New York
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
      The FBI supposedly found out about the Times Square plot on Sunday night but didn't inform NY officials until Wednesday. I think the NY people complained because the Tsarnaev brothers could possibly have had undetected accomplices on the loose.

Source: NBC New York
      Thanks. SOunds like a common-or-garden communication breakdown. The FBI probably felt confident that they had all the guys there were to get while the NYC folk, on hearing they wre a target, were upset that a threat might have existed. Someone will probably get a talking to.

Have to say, the more I read about this the more pease I am that these guys were rank amateurs. Learning how to make a bomb is one thing. Learning how to properly plan & execute a terror spree is another. If they had put a fraction more effort into things like safe houses, transport, the whole NYC thing & a bunch more stuff this could have been way worse. Hope the next lot are as dumb.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Heck, I don't trust the Feds any more than I trust cops, but if they thought they had found some decent intel on something really big the remaining Chechen cockroach could help them unravel, it makes some sense that they'd play their cards pretty close to their chests for a bit.

All we know at this point is that they murdered a bunch of people in Boston - we the public don't know ANYTHING more than that yet.

-dale

Comment

• I know what is swirling around in Bloombergs head. "we were the target of bombings...we must limit people to 2 bombs per person and they must need a permit to have those. Oh and limit gun owners to 7 round magazines...yeah...yeah that makes sense.
          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• BOSTON — Russian authorities secretly wiretapped a conversation between a man believed to be one of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects and his mother in 2011 discussing the idea of jihad, a U.S. counter-terrorism official said Saturday. The Russian Federal Security Service, or FSB, also intercepted a second telephone call between the mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, and another man living in southern Russia who has been the subject of a separate FBI investigation, the official said.
            Source: LA Times

Despite the fact that her son Tamerlan lies in a Boston morgue unclaimed, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva did not accompany FBI agents back to the United States. She claims her husband is very ill and on the verge of a stroke. But it could also be that she fears detainment and possibly an indictment as a co-conspirator.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DPrime View Post
              I don't know...

I'm not sure anything could possibly make me not love my daughter. The bond is unbreakable, no matter what she did.

I'm curious - do you have a son, or is this purely hypothetical? Not judging either way, just curious.
              I have three children.

I base much of my thought process on this hypothetical: Let's say I KNOW for an absolute fact that he has sadistically tortured and killed children. I know exactly where he is hiding. Would I call the police? Knowing he is facing the death penalty?

Yes.

It would be immensely painful, but I would do it. Love... there are differing graduations and flavors. Love is not black or white. nor switched on and off. In this hypothetical, I would be so disgusted, dismayed, filled with soul-crushing sadness, that I don't believe I could honestly love him in any traditional sense.

This is a far, far cry from normal child troubles and issues. The behavior would have to be outrageous, hurtful, and dangerous. Like planting a bomb next to an 8 year old boy.

Comment

• But would you believe it? How long would it take you from learning the truth to believing in it?
                Last edited by Chogy; 28 Apr 13,, 19:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  But would you believe it? How long would it take you from learning the truth to believing in it?
                  OoE, sorry, I hit "edit" rather than reply on your post, thus the Last edited by Chogy thing.

It depends on the evidence.

If I walked in on him sodomizing and strangling a little kid, I have enough faith in my brain to think I'd understand and accept that I've raised a monster.

In other cases - very hard to say, I must admit.

Comment

• There is an outstanding warrant for Mom for jumping bail on the shoplifting charge.

I think that has more to do with her staying put than any concern for dear hubby.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Saudi Arabia 'warned the United States IN WRITING about Boston Bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2012'

Saudi official: Kingdom 'warned the United States IN WRITING about Boston Bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2012 and rejected his application for an entry visa to visit Mecca in 2011' | Mail Online

Comment

• Predict it will get zero play in the leftist press in the US, the same ones that claimed Bush knew about AQ's 9-11 plot.

Comment

• Which 'leftist press' outlets did you have in mind specifically Z?
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Three more arrested in connection to the Boston bombing.

Three arrested for allegedly helping suspect after Boston bombings - The Washington Post

Comment

• No this issue wasn't preventable. This attack proves that terrorists have the ability to attack anywhere and anytime they want. No place is free from terrorism. Feel sorry for those people who died.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coby Brendon View Post
                                No this issue wasn't preventable....
                                You are right mate, many such bomb attacks are not preventable, but the silver lining is that the dead bomber was on the intelligence radar. Meaning those guys are doing their jobs....its just not possible to predict which nutjob has decided to act.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                                X