• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11 Memorial ups the ante

9/11 families outraged over memorial fee
    Sunday, April 14, 2013
    By Jessica Chasmar

Families of Sept. 11 victims are outraged after the 9/11 Memorial Foundation went back on its word not to charge a $2 fee for advance reservations made online or by phone. “I don’t want the American public to have to pay a dime to pay respects to my son,” said Sally Regenhard, whose firefighter son, Christian, died in the World Trade Center attacks, according to the New York Post. “They made … a vow that no one would ever be charged for going to the memorial, but money is the bottom line here.” Jim Riches, a retired FDNY deputy chief who lost his firefighter son on 9/11, agreed, calling the $2 fee “disgusting.” “They’re making money off the people that died. It’s disgusting,” he said. “The memorial should be free for everybody to pay their respects. You wouldn’t charge money to get into a cemetery.”

Memorial Foundation CEO Joe Daniels told the Post the charge is necessary to help support its operations. “Like other similar institutions, in order to help support the operational needs of the 9/11 Memorial, we have implemented a service fee, solely for advance reservations,” he told the paper.
    Source: Washington Times

I realize that times are tough, but this just seems... wrong.
    sigpic

Me thinks one needs to look into the Memorial Foundation finances and salaries before going down this road. Of course not an in house look. This stuff always ticks me off and many times I am not surprised by what is found behind the scenes in the charitable report filed with the state.

Comment

I can understand the fee. Someone has to pay for maintenance. Its been 12 yrs since the towers fell. Not as much money coming in through donations.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        I can understand the fee. Someone has to pay for maintenance. Its been 12 yrs since the towers fell. Not as much money coming in through donations.
        I could understand that once other things are cleared up. We know there is a CEO and where there is a CEO there is a COO and staff for them. How many salaries are being paid out for people who push paper rather than brooms and mops?

Comment

Working...
        X