Different day, same GOP clowns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dalem View Post
    Yes you're quite right. I am a lazy fatass and have never sent any money to Tea Party or other alternative candidates. How perceptive of you.

I'm not criticizing your goal, mind you, merely your methods.

-dale
    LOL, shifting from one butt cheek to the other so you can get out your wallet is not what I call a grass roots effort.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

OK, enough.
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        OK, enough.
        Oh, let him go - doesn't bother me. I've been called worse. :)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
          I dunno, this may just be me, but I'd call a hundreds of billions of dollars stimulus package and "too big to fail" buyouts "giant corporate handouts", and it seems to me both parties did it. What I find annoying is that the Democrats did it much worse than the Republicans did, all while villifying the Republicans for doing it.
          The Republican problem isn't just the fact that they support 'big corporate bailouts as much as the Democrats', but that their other policies tend to support the narrative that they prefer to help out the high income earners at the expense of the Middle Class. Take a look at what they did in Michigan for example (Republican majority legislature and Governor):

What is shocking is how easy the budget goes on upper income Michiganders and how astonishingly HARD it hits lower income residents. Take a look at the average tax increase broken down by income group:

In fact, when you look at the total state and local taxes as a percentage of income of those making $334,000 or more per year vs. those making $17,000 year or less, the poorest people pay 1000 times more than those at the top of the food chain. The poorest Michiganders pay 1.0% of their income vs. 0.001% for the top earners.

Other things from the report that you should know about the tax time bomb that explodes in Michigan in 2012:

Despite continuous Republican screeching about “simplifying the tax code”, this new budget decidedly does NOT make it less complicated.

- Reduces the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) for the working poor from 20% to 6% of the federal credit – a 70% cut.
          - Lowest 20% of income earners pay 9.1% of income in state & local taxes, top 1% pay only 5.6%.
          - All major tax credits except the Homestead Property Tax Credit are now gone. Donations to food banks, shelters, and food kitchens: gone. Donations to charities: gone.
          - Taxes are instituted or increased on private and public pensions for certain groups of senior citizens/retirees.
          - Deduction for children in the family has been eliminated.
          - Homestead Property Tax Credit (HPTC) has been taken away for over a quarter million Michiganders with incomes between $50,000 and $82,650. Seniors with incomes between $30,000 & $50,000 will have this credit reduced by 40%. Only half of the working poor that qualify for the EITC will also qualify for the HPTC.

At the end of the day, here’s a very important thing to remember: Thanks to the new Republican budget, 51% of all Michigan tax payer will pay MORE in personal income taxes in 2012 and beyond. Read that again. Over HALF of Michiganders will pay MORE TAXES because of the Republican budget. This is not Democrats. This is not even the Republicans of yesterday. This is, in fact, a mostly tea party-driven legislature who came in on a small government, less taxes bandwagon, tooting horns and banging tambourines.

And they just raised taxes on over half of our residents.

Tax the POOR! – Michigan’s tax time bomb begins to explode | Eclectablog
          Add in the periodic intolerant rants on social and racial/ethnic minority issues and I would say that their 'image problem' is well deserved.
          Last edited by Agnostic Muslim; 19 Mar 13,, 19:35.
          Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
          https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

That the President doesn't control purse strings, Congress does? And if you run those #s against Congressional control for the last 30 or so years, Dems end up looking like the money-whizzing schlongs that they are?

-dale
            Are you referring to the Democratic control of congress in the 1960s and 1970s, and the Republican control in the 2000s?

Almost forgot: Reagan had a majority (briefly) in the early 1980s, didn't he?

How's that ideological viewpoint working out for you?
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
              Are you referring to the Democratic control of congress in the 1960s and 1970s, and the Republican control in the 2000s?

Almost forgot: Reagan had a majority (briefly) in the early 1980s, didn't he?

How's that ideological viewpoint working out for you?
              If I felt like digging up that particular graph again, swimmingly.

-dale

Comment

Just in case anyone is still buying the 'party of small government' stuff, the Idaho GOP chips in wiht this beauty:

BOISE — Legislators in Idaho's Republican-dominated House want the Federal Communications Commission to crack down on television programs that portray premarital sex.

The measure approved 57-13 Tuesday urges the FCC to enforce "standards of decency" in TV programming some proponents equate to immoral behavior.

Republican Rep. Darrell Bolz of Caldwell said the resolution doesn't request any new FCC regulations. But he says it simply asks the agency to get back to promoting standards already spelled out in law.

Boise Democrat Grant Burgoyne argued against the measure, saying he thinks current FCC standards already serve as a hindrance to free speech.

He argued that efforts to limit broadcasters from portraying unwed individuals engaging in sexual activity could amount to censorship.

The resolution now moves to the Senate.

-- The Associated Press
                Idaho House Republicans want FCC to curb TV shows portraying premarital sex | OregonLive.com

The truly stupid thing about this is that it is a concrete enough action by a significant enough body (a state legislature) that it can't just be dismissed out of hand, but it can't have any direct impact. A gesture that plays to a base but makes the party look stuck in the 50s at best & borderline talebangelist at worst. Is there really nothing better for the legislature to do in Idaho?
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  OK, enough.
                  Off Topic

I raise my objections to the rather uninspiring "Ok, enough"

I propose the following when a Mod decides to enforce peace between WAB combatants

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

WOW, this place is getting so thinned skinned one can't even pick up a stick and poke the bear anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                      WOW, this place is getting so thinned skinned one can't even pick up a stick and poke the bear anymore.
                      Poke away at me. I've been called everything from a Klansman to a Frenchman here - "sticks and stones..." etc. :)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                        Ju Is there really nothing better for the legislature to do in Idaho?
                        99% of the time, nothing is the better thing to do. Sadly people with the power to rule- want to use that power.

Comment

If I felt like digging up that particular graph again, swimmingly.

-dale
                          Let me get that for you.

Over the past 60 years, as measured by which party controlled the House of Representatives, who’s the more fiscally responsible?

(Democrats 45 years, Republicans 15 years. At least we know what the voters think!)

1. How much money did you take out of the economy, compared to the year before?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Average annual _ _ Sum total
                          Democrats _ _ _ +$32.0 bn _ _ _ +$1.47 trn
                          Republicans _ _ _+$66.5 bn _ _ _ +$931.2 bn

2. How much money did you spend, compared to the year before?

Democrats _ _ _ +$55.5 bn _ _ _ +$2.55 trn
                          Republicans _ _ _+$83.9 bn _ _ _ +$1.17 bn

What happened to the national debt, compared to the year before?

Democrats _ _ _ +$240.1 bn _ _ _ +$11.04 trn
                          Republicans _ _ _+$350.3 bn _ _ _ +$4.90 trn

The dates:
                          Democrats: 1955-94, 2005-10
                          Republicans: 1953-54, 1995-04, 2010-12
                          Last edited by DOR; 22 Mar 13,, 10:48. Reason: typo
                          Trust me?
                          I'm an economist!

Comment

Poke away at me. I've been called everything from a Klansman to a Frenchman here - "sticks and stones..." etc.

-dale

I know you are not the type to run and hide behind Astralis's skirt. No worries there. Nor would I ever stoop so low as to call you a........... frenchman

Comment

Just can't keep their mouths shut...

Rep. Young apologizes for using term 'wetbacks' in interview

HERE

Last edited by dmwnc1959; 30 Mar 13,, 08:58.

Comment

Working...
                              X