Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AWB coming?

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted here, and I hope you all are well. I figured that this deserved its own thread seeing as it is a very hot issue at the moment, even managing to steal some thunder from the fiscal cliff story. I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on the possibility of a new assault weapons ban (or even more extreme measures) that may arise from this latest incident in Connecticut. Are you for or against one? What do the people around you think about one? What provisions do you think one might have if passed?
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Any gun legislation should be written by people who know firearms (which excludes most members of Congress).

If you don't know what a barrel shroud is, then you should A.) Not attempt to ban them, and B.) STFU
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The Dems will talk tough and then melt away trading the issue to the Right for passage of a fiscal deal. Meanwhile the 24hr news cycle will latch on to the next story maybe Lilo will get arrested again or jobs numbers will come out etc... when if it bleeds it leads is the motto you always need fresh blood.

Comment

Frankly I am amazed that a AWB is even open for discussion. Everyone knows this is not a solution.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          Frankly I am amazed that a AWB is even open for discussion. Everyone knows this is not a solution.
          It's a knee-jerk reaction to a terrible event. Government has to at least look like they're "doing something".
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            It's a knee-jerk reaction to a terrible event. Government has to at least look like they're "doing something".
            But isn't there a valid argument that if that psycho didn't have access to guns perhaps he wouldn't have committed as great a massacre as he did?

Comment

Exactly - just like the National Guard standing around airports with empty rifles after 9/11.

The problem with schools is that they're not fortresses. A lock will only stop the parent bringing in a note to explain why his kid will be out sick - not stop anyone who intends true evil. And to make it safe as a fortress, it wouldn't foster learning for the kids.

So let's talk tough and find an easy answer that will fit into a 2 minute news segment and look like we did something.
              "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                You should come to commiefornia. We have had an AWB since 1994 and we have not had a single crime related to guns ever since...
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I don't understand this. Schools are "gun free" zones. That means no one can bring a gun to the premise. It's a law to protect the children. How is it possible that we have had Columbine, Virginia Tech, and now Sandy Hook incidents that involved guns and schools? Don't criminals understand what a "gun free zone" is? It means they cannot bring their guns to schools. What are laws good for if no one obeys them?

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
                    But isn't there a valid argument that if that psycho didn't have access to guns perhaps he wouldn't have committed as great a massacre as he did?
                    Tell that to Timothy McVeigh: 168 dead, over 800 injured. Not a single firearm was involved.

Comment

Tell that to Timothy McVeigh: 168 dead, over 800 injured. Not a single firearm was involved.
                      Are we going to bring in 9/11 into this as well? This is a 1968 incident, but how many grim direct gun crimes have we had within the last 1-2years alone? It is no secret science that the gun is a weapon of choice for cheap, rampant massacre. In fact, how many are dying daily to this weapon of choice?

Im not for just blanket knee jerk reaction legislation but at the same time to ignore the obvious would make americans unwitting accomplices in these crimes. Honest soul searching is required here.

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
                        Are we going to bring in 9/11 into this as well? This is a 1968 incident, but how many grim direct gun crimes have we had within the last 1-2years alone? It is no secret science that the gun is a weapon of choice for cheap, rampant massacre. In fact, how many are dying daily to this weapon of choice?

Im not for just blanket knee jerk reaction legislation but at the same time to ignore the obvious would make americans unwitting accomplices in these crimes. Honest soul searching is required here.
                        Are you saying that all the gun laws we have currently are ineffective, and the next one will be effective?

Ever noticed all these mass shootings happen in public places? I think we should forbid the congregation of more than 20 people to prevent a juicy target for would be maniacs.

Ban schools also. The most horrific shottings over the last 10 years happened in schools: Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook.

In fact, I just noticed that all criminal activities involve humans. Let's ban humans. We can stop crime from happening and save the earth from man-made global warming as well.
                        Last edited by gunnut; 18 Dec 12,, 19:56.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          Are you saying that all the gun laws we have currently are ineffective, and the next one will be effective?
                          Yes. I have lived in countries that have fought liberation wars, countries where everybody had a gun. But after independence the government took a no-no policy to guns: guns for the security establishment only. As a result gun crime is practically nil.

Comment

And just about as many children killed.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Ever noticed all these mass shootings happen in public places? I think we should forbid the congregation of more than 20 people to prevent a juicy target for would be maniacs.

Ban schools also. The most horrific shottings over the last 10 years happened in schools: Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook.

In fact, I just noticed that all criminal activities involve humans. Let's ban humans. We can stop crime from happening and save the earth from man-made global warming as well.
                              Whether its more than 20 people congregating, a school, or human beings (as you put it), there is one common culprit in all of them that can be effectively targeted, guns. Why not ban those (im being intentionally extreme here just to entertain your line of reasoning)?

Comment

Working...
                              X