X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zakaria Plagiarism?

Via Hot Air:

Time, CNN suspend Fareed Zakaria for apparent plagiarism « Hot Air

I just thought he was simple and dull, never thought he was lazy too.

-dale

Originally posted by dalem View Post
    Via Hot Air:

Time, CNN suspend Fareed Zakaria for apparent plagiarism « Hot Air

I just thought he was simple and dull, never thought he was lazy too.

-dale
    Purty funny that he gets quoted up in here as an expert, then turns out to be just a dishonest and lazy hack.

From Ace:

Time's Douche Fareed Zakaria Plagiarizes Passage, & Apologizes; But He's Done It Before

—Ace

Just a slightly-reworded lift, with the precise structure and organization of the paragraph stolen without attribution.

And structure and organization is the tough part, in case anyone didn't know that; anyone can just re-word anything. Hell, second-graders just re-word stuff from the encyclopedia all the time. We let them do that, because 1, they're second graders, and 2, usually they're honest enough to say "Encyclopedia Britannica says..."

But Fareed is not in second grade, and he did not give credit to the writer he stole from.

And as Newsbusters points out, he's been accused before by Atlantic writer Jeffrey Goldberg of stealing quotes from interviews Goldberg conducted and writing them up to sound like Zakaria conducted them.

Prediction: We're going to find out this is worse. There is no reason at all to be grudging about giving credit, unless you are bringing so little to the table you have to deny credit, in order to retain any for yourself.

Easiest thing in the world to throw credit to the deserving party. I just cannot think of any sound reason to refuse to do so.

Zakaria now says he apologizes "unreservedly" to the writer he swiped from, but I assume he's going to follow that up with a round of excuses. "Inadvertent editing error" and such. I think we're going to find out there are more reservations to that "unreserved" apology than word choice would currently imply.

Update: One Month Suspension, Pending Further Review.Zakaria calls it "serious lapse" and a "terrible mistake."

From where I sit those are two different things. A "mistake" could still be an "inadvertent editing error," whereas a "lapse" suggests to me culpability.

So is he confessing culpability, or is he playing the Inadvertent Editing Error card?
    CRUSHING.

Comment

But HELL, this is NOTHING.

From what I read from the guy that quotes Zakaria, Romney fired some guy and went to his house later and gave the guy's wife the Romney cancer death touch.

And he hasn't paid taxes, ever.

(I plagiarized the hell out of this from the comments over at Ace. Because it were funneh, and would make me sound clevah.)

Comment

hotair raises a good point:

It’s irrational in the abstract to risk a highly successful career on plagiarism, but this particular case of apparent plagiarism was so blatant and easily found out that it’s irrational in the details too. Makes me wonder how much of this behavior is calculated and how much is compulsive. Even if you’re crashing on a deadline and desperate for ideas, you’re far better off telling your editor “sorry, I couldn’t finish my column this week” than inviting a clusterfark by going this route. Simply mystifying.
        indeed. i'd like to know more, but either way that does not excuse this type of dishonesty, which would have gotten him kicked from his alma mater.

he deserves what he has coming, and it's too bad. he was good when it came to his forte, international political theory.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

This is dissapointing, i'm going to miss his show. His takes were concise & to the point. His guests were always top notch. His shows were very web friendly (thx to CNN) with transcripts ready to use.

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
          Purty funny that he gets quoted up in here as an expert, then turns out to be just a dishonest and lazy hack.
          I've frequently quoted transcripts from his show on the board, but not so much him as the expert, rather what his guests had to say on the subject.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 11 Aug 12,, 09:50.

Comment

He is a reflexive lefty shitbag.

No one will miss him.

-dale

Comment

Oh and just how many of his shows have you actually watched ?

What the hell does left in the US mean anyway. Step outside the US and you'll see a real left.

I did not see that at all, whenever he had guests they came from both sides of the spectrum, Krugman vs Rogoff for example. Moderates of course, the radicals no one cares for.

What i'm interested is the diff's between left & right, gets more objective that way. You don't get objective usually, it either this or that view. Soapboxes, cheerleaders for either side.

And his show was global in perspective, that was the draw for me. I'd get to hear whatever mattered anywhere in the world inside of a half hour every week. My problem is on TV i only get CNN or BBC and his shows were definitely better than BBC.

Just so its clear, i'm referring to his GPS show. I'm not aware of any other shows nor have i read his editorials in TIME.

No one will miss him.
              Obviously those that don't like him won't miss him.

See the comments on his page, they actually hope he may come back.

Given Zakaria has openly admitted it, i think his return will be doubtful
              Last edited by Double Edge; 11 Aug 12,, 11:33.

Comment

DE,

1) Dale just likes throwing his verbal poo at anyone he disagrees with - don't try to intellectualize or even analyze it much.

Zakaria has wrecked his career as a commentator for the moment. I suspect he will come back at a later point to appeal to those who want to hear what he wants to say (F. Scott Fitzgerald was wrong abuot American lives). He wouldn't be the first high profile American to overcome such embarrassment - apparently Limbaugh is still working - and he won't be the last. For now, however, he is toast.

2) LOVE the new avatar. Actually saw the Turbanator live a few months back - a transcendent evening.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                  1) Dale just likes throwing his verbal poo at anyone he disagrees with - don't try to intellectualize or even analyze it much.
                  Personal attacks are usually a sign of a lack of ammo. But I would say dale's claim to fame on WAB is calling BS on global warming as early as 2005. That takes some chops. He can back up what he says.

So i'm interested to see his reply.

As i said earlier i have no knowledge of Zakaria's US only shows as i don't get to see them but GPS had no indication of what he says. Many times when he had opposing views he could not really moderate too well. You'd get two guys who were very stuck in their thinking and there would be no conclusion. The idea you got was a stalemate existed out there in the real world.

Zakaria has wrecked his career as a commentator for the moment.
                  This is the perplexing bit. How a guy from Yale could have done this.

I suspect he will come back at a later point to appeal to those who want to hear what he wants to say (F. Scott Fitzgerald was wrong abuot American lives). He wouldn't be the first high profile American to overcome such embarrassment - apparently Limbaugh is still working - and he won't be the last. For now, however, he is toast.
                  There is talk that maybe one of his interns was liable. He must have a team of researchers working under him.

So Zakaria does the responsible thing and steps aside, for now.

2) LOVE the new avatar. Actually saw the Turbanator live a few months back - a transcendent evening.
                  Damn it, busted and so soon

Found his 60s-70s stuff had more bite, than the noughties, but seeing him live would be quite the experience. Lucky you.

Anyway, it was a dare and this is my reply.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 11 Aug 12,, 18:35.

Comment

No one will miss him.

-dale
                    I don't think he is reflexively lefty, but he lacks intellectual depth. Someone posted an article in the 2012 election thread linking to Zakaria article where Zakaria states "culture doesn't matter" by pointing to China and Japan as cases of rapid economic growth. This is leaving aside the actual stats on productivity, which show Japan lagging far, far, far behind most European nations in per-hour productivity.

Stuff like that just steams me up.
                    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      Personal attacks are usually a sign of a lack of ammo. But I would say dale's claim to fame on WAB is calling BS on global warming as early as 2005. That takes some chops. He can back up what he says.
                      Then, not so much anymore, the more science that comes in the more likely it looks like global warming is real. The only question now is how much of it is AGW and how much of it is natural cycle. Regardless, unless the warming is brought under control somehow we are about to see a massive spike in atmospheric methane as the tundra melts and releases gigatons worth of the stuff. Combine with a reduced ice sheet meaning less energy reflected back to space and extreme weather is on its way.

Along with this, is the rapidly rising acidity in the worlds oceans. The Oceans are now estimated to be 30% more acidic than they were 250 years ago. This could begin to seriously disrupt the oceans eco system as the base organisms like zooplankton and shell fish use calcium carbonate to build their shells.

But people like Dale would rather burn the world than find a solution. Dale doesn't deny global warming cause the science backs him up, he denies it becuase of his tan hat paranoia that the govment is out to get him.

Comment

Oh and just how many of his shows have you actually watched ?
                        Shows? I read his articles when pointed at them. They have always struck me as rather shallow and pedestrian - high school level efforts. But people like astralis lap it up, so there's a fair amount of overexposure these days. I mean please - who could be proud of being featured time and time again in Newsweek any more?

What the hell does left in the US mean anyway. Step outside the US and you'll see a real left.
                        Blah blah. Left in the U.S. means expanding government, reduced liberty, and decreasing personal responsibility, same as anywhere else. We're just starting from further to the right than most do.

I did not see that at all, whenever he had guests they came from both sides of the spectrum, Krugman vs Rogoff for example. Moderates of course, the radicals no one cares for.

What i'm interested is the diff's between left & right, gets more objective that way. You don't get objective usually, it either this or that view. Soapboxes, cheerleaders for either side.

And his show was global in perspective, that was the draw for me. I'd get to hear whatever mattered anywhere in the world inside of a half hour every week. My problem is on TV i only get CNN or BBC and his shows were definitely better than BBC.

Just so its clear, i'm referring to his GPS show. I'm not aware of any other shows nor have i read his editorials in TIME.
                        Like I said, never watched his show.

Obviously those that don't like him won't miss him.

See the comments on his page, they actually hope he may come back.

Given Zakaria has openly admitted it, i think his return will be doubtful
                        Oh, he'll be back somewhere. The left has no shame. Probably put him on with Spitzer :)

-dale

Comment

Personal attacks are usually a sign of a lack of ammo.
                          People like Bigfella are fine with personal attacks as long as it's them launching them. People like bigfella prefer position statements along the lines of "I have a chart that shows that although 83% of Zakaria's positions could be described as coming from the political left, the fact that zucchini harvests in Madagascar were historically low during Cezanne's "Green Sunset" period clearly moves his personal socio-political zeitgeist to the far right."

I can do that crap, and write like that, when I have the time or interest. Here on the AAB, and WAB before that, I rarely have the time or interest, and can generally sum things up with a simple "Zakaria's a lefty hack" or "Bigfella's a commie". You'll find that the ability to get to the heart of the matter quickly and, on the rare occasion, wittily, is actually appreciated by more people than the snoring, ever-neutral academic route is.

But I would say dale's claim to fame on WAB is calling BS on global warming as early as 2005. That takes some chops. He can back up what he says.

So i'm interested to see his reply.
                          I've been railing against "global warming" since 1988. It was bullpoopy then, it's bullpoopy now, and has been bullpoopy for all the time in between. But I think I've provided more value and entertainment than mere "global warming" contra-posits. I mean - my recipes. My naked thunderstorms. My multipage slap-fights with zraver.

Speaking of...

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            Then, not so much anymore, the more science that comes in the more likely it looks like global warming is real.
                            You mean, except for the part where nothing is really warming up, right?

The only question now is how much of it is AGW and how much of it is natural cycle. Regardless, unless the warming is brought under control somehow we are about to see a massive spike in atmospheric methane as the tundra melts and releases gigatons worth of the stuff. Combine with a reduced ice sheet meaning less energy reflected back to space and extreme weather is on its way.
                            Zzzzzz. Still scared of boogeymen? Get a blankie, but keep your hands off of my wallet - I have coal to burn.

Along with this, is the rapidly rising acidity in the worlds oceans. The Oceans are now estimated to be 30% more acidic than they were 250 years ago. This could begin to seriously disrupt the oceans eco system as the base organisms like zooplankton and shell fish use calcium carbonate to build their shells.
                            Estimated by people who want you to spaz about a new unprovable cause to rally behind, I'm sure.

But people like Dale would rather burn the world than find a solution. Dale doesn't deny global warming cause the science backs him up, he denies it becuase of his tan hat paranoia that the govment is out to get him.
                            Again, I'll point out that it's not my responsibility to "deny" something as stupid and easily-disprovable as "global warming" - it's YOUR responsibility to prove that your theory is correct. Which you and others have failed to do for 25 years.

It's a DEAD parrot, young feller-me-lad.

-dale

Comment

Shows? I read his articles when pointed at them.
                              Ok, so we're talking about two different works by him.

Shows, yes that's what i'm going to miss.

They have always struck me as rather shallow and pedestrian - high school level efforts. But people like astralis lap it up, so there's a fair amount of overexposure these days. I mean please - who could be proud of being featured time and time again in Newsweek any more?
                              This is what you are familiar with. But i don't see you saying he's being reflexivley leftist here, but rather what GWChamp said, pedestrian & shallow. To those that are very familiar with the topics at hand i would agree. But to those that are not ie the intl crowd, he eases us in gently so we can get up to speed.

Blah blah. Left in the U.S. means expanding government, reduced liberty, and decreasing personal responsibility, same as anywhere else. We're just starting from further to the right than most do.
                              Would you agree then that in the US the left is a lot weaker than the right ?

Oh, he'll be back somewhere. The left has no shame. Probably put him on with Spitzer :)
                              I want GPS back.

It's hard to imagine that show without him though.

Comment

Working...
                              X