2012 Presidential Election - The Ups and Downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    Successfully registered for my Overseas Absentee Ballot. It won't make a difference because New York always votes Democrat, but at least I'm doing my part in the democratic illusion by exercising my right to waste my time for something that doesn't matter.
    Good for you for understanding that such things must be done ahead of time and not held off to the last minute.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by dalem View Post
      It's only paranoia if they're not really out to get me. :)

The Left stands for everything I am against, and they pursue their goals without regard to rules or decorum.

None of which changes the fact that your logic about why GWB should speak at this year's RNC is, at best, insufficient.

-dale
      Only insufficient in the fact that you don't seem to understand that despite all the wailing and posturing by the left (anyone but Bush) it was the independents/moderates that gave Bush a second term. Romney is going to need those votes if he is going to unseat Obama.

Comment

• Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        Only insufficient in the fact that you don't seem to understand that despite all the wailing and posturing by the left (anyone but Bush) it was the independents/moderates that gave Bush a second term. Romney is going to need those votes if he is going to unseat Obama.
        Of course, but he is NOT going to get them by letting anyone focus on GWB this time around. It conceivably could not HURT the RomneyBot's chances, but it cannot HELP them at all. So if GWB is willing to bow out, so much the better.

-dale

Comment

• I tend to agree with Dale here. Obama won because he campaigned on Hope and Change. His entire platform was based on the fact that he wasn't Bush. McCain didn't stand a chance against that, no matter what he did.

Things are different now. Obama has had near 4 years to prove to everyone what a worthless president (and person?) he really is. Notice that even now, Obama hasn't been campaigning about what he's done, achieved or accomplished, he's campaigning about how bad Romney is. That is not (in my opinion) how an incumbent should be campaigning, and (again, in my opinion) Obama knows it.

Reinserting Bush into the picture would fall right into Obama's hands. He can then continue his impressive streak of whining how nothing was his fault (lies), how he inherited everything bad in the past 4 years from the bad economy to beriberi from Bush (lies) and how Romney is Bush's reincarnated (lies). Obama is very proficient at whining and blaming other people for his mistakes, and putting Bush back in the limelight will allow Obama to fall back to his old habits and his old tricks, those that he has well-polished and doesn't even need a Teleprompter for.

Bush is playing it real classy, admitting that his time is up and it's now time for new blood to stand and accept the accolades and/or fault for their actions. The man has been hounded for 8 years by an extremely hostile press and left-wing, let the man have some peace and quiet. Maybe in another 4 years he'll come out to speak, hopefully to reelect Romney, but let the man enjoy his vacation so far. Think about it, how much have you really heard of Bush in the past 4 years, anyway? He hasn't been jetting around the globe like Clinton or Carter, he's enjoying retirement, and good for him.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
            Think about it, how much have you really heard of Bush in the past 4 years, anyway? He hasn't been jetting around the globe like Clinton or Carter, he's enjoying retirement, and good for him.
            He's been doing some classy things for vets and returning soldiers, and of course the Africa AIDS stuff.

Bush has more class in his left pinky than Obama could ever hope to have. Obama was a mouthy punk 4 years ago and he's the same now.

-dale

Comment

That is exactly why Bush should speak. Above all else he can deliver a message without taking cheap shots at the presidency. That would go a long way to attracting moderates and independents come next Nov. Without Bush's voice and people like him the GOP looks like a bunch of world hating right wing radicals. If your inside the party your views may differ.
              It's good he doesn't want to put in an appearance. He knows he is the lightning rod for all that's wrong with the economy, perhaps unfairly, but there you have it, and he has the good sense not to give the Democrats a target they can use to deflect attention from the fact that the economy has not recovered much under their watch.

However, bottom line: he's disillusioned by politics. In an interview this week he said, I crawled out of the swamp, and Im not crawling back in.
              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

He's been doing some classy things for vets and returning soldiers, and of course the Africa AIDS stuff.

Bush has more class in his left pinky than Obama could ever hope to have. Obama was a mouthy punk 4 years ago and he's the same now.

-dale
                Bush has the class that the GOP sorely needs at this time which is why he should speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                  In an interview this week he said, “I crawled out of the swamp, and I’m not crawling back in.”
                  That is one of the very few viewpoints Bush and I agree with i.e. his view on politics.
                  The republicans NEEDS Bush to show them the light as there is no reason politics has to be in a swamp. Otherwise the republicans are devolving into a dick swinging contest with the democrats and that is playing into the strength of the democrats. If republicans really wants to be the knights in shining armor they portray themselves to be the republican party needs to learn to take the high road. Bush and people like him can lead them there. As is it sounds like Bush is disgusted with the republican party and there are more members with their eye on the door.

Comment

That is one of the very few viewpoints Bush and I agree with i.e. his view on politics.
                    The republicans NEEDS Bush to show them the light as there is no reason politics has to be in a swamp. Otherwise the republicans are devolving into a dick swinging contest with the democrats and that is playing into the strength of the democrats. If republicans really wants to be the knights in shining armor they portray themselves to be the republican party needs to learn to take the high road. Bush and people like him can lead them there. As is it sounds like Bush is disgusted with the republican party and there are more members with their eye on the door.
                    I thought you might like Bush's swamp description. The thing is, George never liked politics. He always wanted to act in terms of right and wrong, which is noble but not realistic in a politically pluralistic society where two people can disagree and each have no doubt he is right. Politics is by nature the art of compromise, or in other words accepting less than you want but getting a half more than nothing. That is considered success in US politics. Not all people looking in from the outside like this apparent game, but without it, we would get nowhere. And if we were dominated by one party, like they are in Syria, you wouldn't even have the luxury of complaining. So count yourself fortunate to hate politics and live to tell about it. :)

Back to the point, this is not a good time for George to figure prominently in the convention or the campaign. He's a good man and did a lot of good things as president, but he stands as an avatar for a failed economy. He knows this is not his time. LBJ stayed away from the 1968 dem convention so he wouldn't hurt Hubert Humphrey's chances to win the election. Vietnam was the hot button issue then and LBJ was the #1 symbol of the so-called Vietnam "quagmire". HHH lost the election anyway.
                    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Bush has the class that the GOP sorely needs at this time which is why he should speak.
                      I think Romney and crew have plenty of class. And ignoring the tremendous negatives associated with GWB (rightly or wrongly) at this time is just plain foolish.

-dale

Comment

I think Romney and crew have plenty of class. And ignoring the tremendous negatives associated with GWB (rightly or wrongly) at this time is just plain foolish.

-dale
                        Of course you think that way about Romney, but he's your man in this election so you really can't be objective in the matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                          I thought you might like Bush's swamp description. The thing is, George never liked politics. He always wanted to act in terms of right and wrong, which is noble but not realistic in a politically pluralistic society where two people can disagree and each have no doubt he is right. Politics is by nature the art of compromise, or in other words accepting less than you want but getting a half more than nothing. That is considered success in US politics. Not all people looking in from the outside like this apparent game, but without it, we would get nowhere. And if we were dominated by one party, like they are in Syria, you wouldn't even have the luxury of complaining. So count yourself fortunate to hate politics and live to tell about it. :)

Back to the point, this is not a good time for George to figure prominently in the convention or the campaign. He's a good man and did a lot of good things as president, but he stands as an avatar for a failed economy. He knows this is not his time. LBJ stayed away from the 1968 dem convention so he wouldn't hurt Hubert Humphrey's chances to win the election. Vietnam was the hot button issue then and LBJ was the #1 symbol of the so-called Vietnam "quagmire". HHH lost the election anyway.
                          Still you list failed example? So Romney is going to lose whether Bush speaks or not?
                          The republicans can't distance themselves by throwing Bush under the bus. They have to own up to whatever mistakes that were made and move on. At the moment the republican party is hard pressed to find leaders with the integrity that Bush has and thats a huge asset to summarily dismiss.

Comment

Of course you think that way about Romney, but he's your man in this election so you really can't be objective in the matter.
                            Sure I can. Do I not constantly refer to him as the RomneyBot 9000? I do not think the guys I support are perfect in any way.

Don't project your weaknesses onto others.

-dale

Comment

The republicans can't distance themselves by throwing Bush under the bus.
                              They invited, he declined. It's that simple.

-dale

Comment

They invited, he declined. It's that simple.

-dale
                                Ok for the sake of argument that it really is that simple. A man who was once at the pinnacle of republican leadership is now so disgusted with his own party he refuses to say a few words at the party's convention. That does not inspire confidence does it?

Comment

Working...
                                X