Southern Border Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    We should use whatever force that is necessary to protect American sovereignty.
    I agree with you now should we be just shooting children who throw rocks or should we at least shoot once over their heads? Does anyone think we should be shooting those attempting to cross if they run from Border patrol?
    Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.
    ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
      I agree with you now should we be just shooting children who throw rocks or should we at least shoot once over their heads? Does anyone think we should be shooting those attempting to cross if they run from Border patrol?
      Don't throw rocks at armed people. Rocks are deadly weapons. If I feel my life is endangered, I shoot to kill. None of this bullshit warning shots. My life is worth more than a warning shot.

Let's see you fire a warning shot at an armed intruder in your house.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• You know, it's a funny thing, but in the case of a Palestinian throwing stones at Israeli cars we're trained to walk towards the Palestinian and between him and the road, therefore getting him to throw stones at us instead of the road. After that, we need the Battalion CO/XO's (Lt. Col/Major, whichever is on duty) permission to fire rubber bullets at them.

Only time we're allowed to open fire without asking is if we see means and intent. If he's got a gun next to a road, shoot to kill. If there is means without intent or vice versa, we're not allowed to shoot anything at them until we warn them twice in Hebrew, twice in Arabic, and then a warning shot over their heads. If he's got a knife next to a road, we have to go through the whole procedure since a knife is useless against a moving car. Of course, if he's on a hill overlooking a road and rolling boulders down onto cars, it's shoot to kill.
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Don't throw rocks at armed people. Rocks are deadly weapons. If I feel my life is endangered, I shoot to kill. None of this bullshit warning shots. My life is worth more than a warning shot.

Let's see you fire a warning shot at an armed intruder in your house.
          Is there any other situation deadly force seems like the right answer to you? I think we both know your comparison is ludicrous. If someone in the street was throwing rocks at me and I just pulled and shot him w/o warning I'd be in court.
          Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.
          ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Is there any other situation deadly force seems like the right answer to you? I think we both know your comparison is ludicrous. If someone in the street was throwing rocks at me and I just pulled and shot him w/o warning I'd be in court.
            Depending on the situation it could very well be self defense.

rocks or should we at least shoot once over their heads?
            Bullets do land.
            Last edited by troung; 11 Jun 10,, 00:53.
            To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
              Bullets have to land somewhere. Warning shots are for TV and the open sea.

Are they running into or out of the U.S.?

-dale

Comment

• US and Mexico Borderlands (Research Topic)

I need a topic to write a 2000 word paper on concerning US & Mexican relations, borderlands, or anything related to them.

I figured I could solicit ideas from the informed and educated community of the WAB.

My initial thoughts on topics are:

The Mexican Brain Drain and how it effects the Mexican Economy (concentrated on the Mexico to US flow)

or

Tougher border control measures and how they could suffocate the drug cartel problem

Any ideas?
                "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

• what type of research paper is this? quantitative? qualitative?

the first looks interesting. i'd be interested in seeing if there's a connection between how well the lower/middle class of mexico is doing and the illegal immigrant rate. you can see overall economic growth rate and see if the poor-wealthy gap has expanded.

you could look into the evolution of which areas of the border are favored by illegals-- see what has the most influence on them, whether it is US/mexican law enforcement, bad local economies, cartel presence, etc.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• It's qualitative. A standard undergraduate research paper. I can fly through 2000 words, but am actually interested in the topic.

My group already did a 20 minute oral presentation on border tunnels, locations, methods, construction, and countermeasures (referencing even other countries methods i.e. Egypt/Gaza and the "inpenetrable" steel barrier they buried 18 meters deep), and we will be covering the favored areas of illegal crossings. I suppose I could expound on that though--one can always expound :)
                    "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

• I think the first topic is more interesting from a academic point of view, but the second one holds much more realistic and practical relevance. Who knows, someone might end up using your paper as the plan implemented to curtail illegal immigration...
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                        I think the first topic is more interesting from a academic point of view, but the second one holds much more realistic and practical relevance. Who knows, someone might end up using your paper as the plan implemented to curtail illegal immigration...
                        They better promote me to at least Captian. Or slide me into one of those obscurely titled GS-15 jobs at Department of Homeland Security. :-D

Comment

• Originally posted by ShawnG View Post
                          They better promote me to at least Captian. Or slide me into one of those obscurely titled GS-15 jobs at Department of Homeland Security. :-D
                          Why not? Hell, take two! If anyone asks, just point them in my direction...

Comment

• Shawn,

Or slide me into one of those obscurely titled GS-15 jobs at Department of Homeland Security.
                            i donno if most O-2s want an instant promotion to O-6...you just increased the suckitude of your job

the first topic is effectively strategic in scope, the second is tactical. for 2000 words, i'd go strategic-- not sure if it's enough to go into the detail you want on border control methods.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              Shawn,

i donno if most O-2s want an instant promotion to O-6...you just increased the suckitude of your job

the first topic is effectively strategic in scope, the second is tactical. for 2000 words, i'd go strategic-- not sure if it's enough to go into the detail you want on border control methods.
                              Oh, I'm not an O-2 Sir. I'm an E-7. The bump to O-3E would be a welcome raise. In the forseeable future I will be jumping the Enlisted ship and going to OCS, undergraduate completion is the stepping stone. As far as the GS-15? If the "right" position is there, the GS-15 will have about as much work as the GS-07! Haha

I think you are correct, 2000 words is pretty limited, Strategic surely is the way to go. Thank you for the advice.

Comment

• shawn,

my mistake, sergeant! enjoy your time while you still work for a living, lol.

good luck on finding that "right" position. man, i remember when i was a GS-7-- that life sucked!

Comment

Working...
                                X