No announcement yet.

How Bad is Unemployment in your County?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Bad is Unemployment in your County?

How bad is unemployment in your county? Below is the latest BLS map.

Surprising how well the middle states are doing. East and west coast are hurting, DC area is an exception...always is thanks to government jobs.

Attached Files
    Black 10% or over
    20.00%
    Purple 7 - 9.9%
    40.00%
    Brown 6 - 6.9%
    26.67%
    Red 5 - 5.9%
    0.00%
    Orange 4 - 4.9%
    6.67%
    Ochre 3 - 3.9%
    0.00%
    Yellow 2 - 2.9%
    6.67%
    White 1 - 1.9%
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by JAD_333; 27 Aug 10,, 04:49.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Official rate it 11.7% or 10.1% in Cumberland County if I'm reading it right. I really don't think those numbers are accurate, There are quite a few that refuse to report anything to the Government in the county or apply for any type of aid.

http://www.tennessee.gov/labor-wfd/l...2010county.pdf

Comment

Weird how unemployment is hitting the US that hard right now. Over here my county is at 2.2% on unemployment benefits and 2.6% on welfare benefits - which are iirc some of the lowest values since the 80s.

Comment

German companies have done a great job holding on to skilled workers when production is down. The economics of doing that despite cost to companies would be interesting to explore. US companies react to downturns by letting workers go. I wonder if there is a key difference in government incentives between the DE and the US or if it is just smarter management on the part of DE companies.

Comment

I wonder if there is a key difference in government incentives between the DE and the US or if it is just smarter management on the part of DE companies.
          There is, called Kurzarbeit (short time working).

News : Germany's 'Kurzarbeit' programme a possible role model for other countries

But I just don't see a program like this happining in the US.

Comment

There is a key difference in incentives, and that's the socalled Kurzarbeit ("short work").

German Companies in dire straits who apply for this can shorten the work hours and therefore salaries of their employees. An export-oriented company selling a lot less than regular due to the crisis can thus reduce their effective workforce accordingly without actually losing the employees.
            The government subsidizes this in such a way that the workers get the exact same salary level as if they were fired and on unemployment benefits. Since most workers aren't cut to 0% work hours, the government saves money this way in the end. At the height of the current crisis, nearly 5% of German employees were subsidized like this. That measure has tided both companies and employees over the crisis.

Nominally this instrument exists in the USA too, at least supposedly in some 17 states, since the 70s. It's just virtually unknown, and no one applies for it. There are a couple economic researchers in the USA who push the German model in particular, e.g. Dean Baker or Paul Krugman.

Tarek: One Minute

Comment

mh I must admit I am surpised that it does exist one state level in at least some areas. For me it looks like a typical German model which would find opposittion in the Us just on principle, but I guess I was wrong (Then again, it does not do much good if nobody uses it)

Comment

Related article in English: German Jobs `Miracle' Comes at a Price for Recovering Economy - Bloomberg

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                  Surprising how well the middle states are doing. East and west coast are hurting,
                  Are you really surprised?

It will be interesting to overlay a map of tax rates (state and sales) and political leanings on top of this map. I don't want to take any wild guesses, but I can almost bet on those middle states being less taxed and more conservative than the coastal states.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

The unemployment rate for Suffolk County, NY on Long Island is currently 6.8% ... Long Island is doing well compared to many other major metropolitan areas.

Comment

the real unemployment rate where I live is lower than the official one. Thousands of people live here, but technically work for companies that are based out of state but doing local work in the gas fields. There are also tens of thousands of college students who are technically under employed if you go by paid hours worked per week.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        I can almost bet on those middle states being less taxed and more conservative than the coastal states.
                        Come on, the decisive point is that those states in the middle are rural backwaters with low population numbers. Such states always have stable, low unemployment, mostly owing to the fact that people becoming unemployed in such rural states move to where the money is - in the cities.

Works that way worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          Are you really surprised?

It will be interesting to overlay a map of tax rates (state and sales) and political leanings on top of this map. I don't want to take any wild guesses, but I can almost bet on those middle states being less taxed and more conservative than the coastal states.

Yes, I was surprised by the depth. Everyone had heard that N. Dakota is doing very well. But the good numbers extend down through W Okla and into the Texas panhandle. The area's economy is derived mostly from agricultural, cattle and food processing. People have to eat, and food exports remain strong.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                            Yes, I was surprised by the depth. Everyone had heard that N. Dakota is doing very well. But the good numbers extend down through W Okla and into the Texas panhandle. The area's economy is derived mostly from agricultural, cattle and food processing. People have to eat, and food exports remain strong.
                            And natural gas and oil in a lot of those areas.

In Central Arkansas a balanced budget amendment, abundant natural gas royalties and natural conservatism among most of the local democrats has served us well. Gov Bebee a Democrat has manged to bring in major businesses to supplement companies like JB Hunt, Walmart and Axiom. A major HP service center just got built in Conway where I go to school. Conway has 3 colleges or universities and thus a high number of educated workers. Little Rock recently got a Dutch windmill company to build a plant making the windmill blades, solid blue collar jobs. The porkulus has been good to my areas as well. International has a bus plant in Conway that was going broke until porkulus gave school districts funny money to spend. This has kept revenues fairly high compared to many states. Plus the scholarship lottery (2500 a semester) got paid out to 29,000 qualified students without costing state government a dime.

To make things even better, the states liberal senators are on life support, one has announced his retirement and Blanche Lincoln is most likely doomed. Even if republican's don't break the Democrats stranglehold, most of them are now well aware that Arkanas may be democratic, but its conservative. We only need to ditch Bill Halter in 2012. Bebee is a surefire win in November, his Republican challenger is a moron.

Comment

Z:

I'm glad for you guys. It would be good if your stability and growth spread wide to the east and west, although I doubt it will.

The situation in my area, 70 miles west of DC, is better than most, but less than yours. Few new homes are being built, which affects me personally, but there is still a good deal of remodeling work to be had in that military officers and gov't civilians hereabouts are going along as if the economy is just dandy.

My feeling about the whole economic situation is somewhat philosophical, bad weather follows good, and all that kind of thing. I judge all the fingernail chewing to be a sign that the majority of adults believe a good economy is a birthright. I think they're just worn out by years of consumerism and have lost their appetite for more stuff (no wonder storage locker facilities are booming). But consumerism is organic, not static. When older consumers lose the novelty of their accumulated stuff, as they always do, there will be newer ones to step into their place looking for happiness in stuff... The longer the economic downturn, the greater the resurgence to follow. You can see it today in the stock market, which always discounts the future. It is clearly overvalued, but not to investors who believe the signs of economic resurgence are just a year away.

What are you studying at Conway?
                              Last edited by JAD_333; 29 Aug 10,, 17:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X