Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Congressman is being outted

Obviously biased article, but interesting nevertheless:
    The latest target of a Capitol Hill outing campaign — designed to expose closeted homosexual Republicans who oppose civil rights for gay people — is San Gabriel Valley Congressman David Dreier.

The powerful 12-term congressman — chairman of the House Rules Committee, chairman of the California Republican House delegation, co-chairman of Californians for Bush, chairman of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s transition team — is in the cross hairs of Mike Rogers and his Blogactive.com Web site, whose outing campaign has already forced one GOP congressman out of politics. Representative Ed Schrock, a reactionary from Virginia, ended his re-election campaign last month after Rogers put on his Web site an audiotape of Schrock trolling for tricks on a gay chat line.

Now, Rogers — a former development director for the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force — has given Dreier the “Roy Cohn Award, in recognition of 24 years of working against gay and lesbian rights while living as a gay man yourself.” He is pummeling Dreier with almost daily revelations as a response to the GOP’s anti-gay crusade for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages.

Rogers’ campaign against Dreier got a major boost when it was taken up by Raw Story, the hot new liberal gadfly newsblog. Raw Story — which is edited out of Cambridge, Massachusetts, by 23-year-old John Byrne, who is also gay — last week published an interview with Dreier’s Democratic opponent in 1998 and 2000, Dr. Janice Nelson, who said she was aware during her 2000 campaign that Dreier was living with his chief of staff, Brad Smith. “Brad was like an invisible presence,” she said. “They really have the routine down slick.”

Nelson, a professor of pathology, says she came forward when she read on Raw Story that Hustler — the Larry Flynt magazine — was working on an exposé of Dreier’s secret gay life. Mark Cromer, the mag’s features editor in charge of its outing of Dreier, is a former reporter for a string of Valley newspapers in Dreier’s district, including the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, the San Gabriel Valley Tribune and the Pasadena Star-News. Cromer said his mag’s exposé on Dreier — part of a package on sexual hypocrisy by Republican spear-carriers in the “culture wars” — will be published in November. And he accuses the papers in Dreier’s district, all of which spout a conservative, anti-gay editorial line, of having a “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy toward the congressman and his relationship with Smith. These papers are all owned by Media News Group (MNG), whose CEO, Dean Singleton, is a major contributor to Republican campaigns. Opinion pages editor Steve Scauzillo said he could not comment on the Dreier matter without the approval of MNG higher-ups.

Raw Story has provided some fascinating details about Smith. It appears that he is the highest-paid chief of staff to any House committee chair. Smith’s $156,600 salary is just $400 less than that of White House chief of staff Andy Card and Bush political commissar Karl Rove. By comparison, the chief of staff to the chair of the House Judiciary Committee makes $126,000, while the chief of staff to the chair of the House Ways and Means Committee makes just $100,696. New Jersey Democratic Governor Jim McGreevey was recently forced to resign when it was about to become public that he had put his boyfriend on the public payroll at a salary slightly less than the one which Dreier pays Smith.

Neither Dreier, Smith, nor the congressman’s press secretary would return several telephone calls and detailed voice mails seeking comment. A staff member on Monday hung up the phone when I called back.

I have always taken the view that outing a gay person should be approached with caution, and that in doing so one should strictly adhere to the Barney Frank Rule. As articulated by the openly gay Massachusetts congressman during another anti-gay GOP witch-hunt over a decade ago, when Frank threatened to out a number of gay-baiting Republican fellow congressmen, the rule insists that outing is only acceptable when a person uses their power or notoriety to hurt gay people.

Dreier clearly meets that standard, for his voting record is strewn with anti-gay positions. To cite just a few: He opposed the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would have banned discrimination against gay people in hiring; voted for the gay-bashing Defense of Marriage Act; voted for banning adoption by gay and lesbian couples in the District of Columbia (3,000 miles away from Dreier’s district); voted to allow federally funded charities to discriminate against gays in employment, even where local laws prohibit such bias; and voted against the Hate Crimes Prevention Act.

Dreier is not just a political homophobe but a heartless AIDS-phobe as well, voting against the Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) program designed to give shelter to the impoverished sick, and against funding for the federal ADAP program that furnishes the poor with the AIDS meds they need to stay alive.

Dreier can probably survive outing in his district and be re-elected, and it won’t hurt him much with Arnold and his cronies either. But Dreier’s days as a key member of the ultra-homophobic Hastert-DeLay House GOP leadership may be numbered. The telegenic Dreier has often served as the GOP leadership’s spokesman on the TV chat-show circuit. It will be interesting to see whether, the next time Dreier shows up on Crossfire or Chris Matthews’ show, he’s asked about the contradictions between his anti-gay voting record and his hitherto-secret life.
    He won't lose anyway. This is a socially liberal economically conservative district. Besides, we're not stupid, he's powerful, we're not about to trade him for a frosh.

LOL And get this, he's running aganist an openly lesbian Democrat. Damn, I never knew my district was this colorful.

Comment

Delicious story -- news folks live for stories like that. Juicy.

Anyway, these closeted anti-gay GOPers remind me of Strom Thurmond -- racist ass who fathered an out-of-wedlock daughter with a black woman. I believe there is a special place in hell reserved for these type of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Gio
        LOL And get this, he's running aganist an openly lesbian Democrat. Damn, I never knew my district was this colorful.
        LOL :)
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Prodigal Son
          Delicious story -- news folks live for stories like that. Juicy.

Anyway, these closeted anti-gay GOPers remind me of Strom Thurmond -- racist ass who fathered an out-of-wedlock daughter with a black woman. I believe there is a special place in hell reserved for these type of people.
          LOL it gets even better, the Los Angeles Times has been given all the info and they arn't touching it as of yet. While he is hypocritical, I only think he does it to toe the party line as a member of the leadership. I feel sorry for him, being outted like this. He's been a good congressman, damn does he ever deliver on getting us pork.

Comment

You don't think its justifyed to 'out' such hypocritical persons? I would normally argue that a persons sexuality is not something that should be a matter for public consumption, however when someone is taking an anti-gay line, I think such hypocracy is relevant to the political debate.

Speaking of hypocracy, the leader of the Australian Nationalist Movement, an anti-asian neo-nazi group who wanted to preserve a 'white Australia', his grandmother was from Java.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran Bennett
              taking an anti-gay line, I think such hypocracy is relevant to the political debate.
              Was he truly "anti-gay", or was he just not for giving entitlements, and for preserving marriage in it's traditional form? I doubt a gay person is actually "anti-gay".
              No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

New article on the subject:

My L.A. Weekly story last week, “The Outing: David Dreier and His Straight Hypocrisy,” generated a huge reaction — from everyone except the powerful 12-term San Gabriel Valley congressman.

The P.R. strategy adopted by Dreier is silence — he’s hoping that, by ignoring the story about the Internet campaign to out the congressman as a hypocritical closet homosexual who consistently votes against the rights and interests of gay people, it will simply go away. So far, the strategy seems to be working, at least where some of the major print and television outlets are concerned. For example, absent a comment from Dreier, the Los Angeles Times (where there were serious internal discussions about whether or not to cover the story) has been reluctant to weigh in for its many readers in Dreier’s district — even though Dreier’s Democratic opponent came out of the closet to denounce him. L.A. Times’ editor John Carroll did not return phone or e-mail requests for comment.

After the Weekly’s article, Cynthia Matthews — the Democratic nominee in Dreier’s Foothills congressional district — gave interviews to local radio stations and Internet media saying she was proud of her lesbian relationship. “I have been in an 11-year relationship with my partner,” Matthews told RawStory.com, “and refuse to run for office if I would be required to relegate my partner to the closet.”

Matthews particularly criticized Dreier for paying the man he lives with — his chief of staff, Brad Smith — a remarkably high salary. “David Dreier contributes to a culture that allows closeted gays and lesbians to pay those with whom they have personal relationships from the government payroll,” she added, citing New Jersey Governor Jim McGreevey’s recent resignation for having done just that.

I received a barrage of phone calls from Los Angeles radio stations which beam into Dreier’s district inviting me to discuss my story on air. I accepted six of those requests — including one from KABC-AM shock jock Al Rantel. Since I’m not an Angeleno (and I rarely listen to radio chat in any case), and had no idea what Rantel was all about, I was a bit taken aback when — in his very first words to me when I joined him on-air by phone — Rantel denounced my story as “trash.” He then said that he, “as a gay man,” found the story offensive — but went on to defend Dreier’s many votes against adoption by same-sex couples, for the gay-bashing Defense of Marriage Act, and other anti-gay legislative acts in Dreier’s 24-year congressional career. After enduring Rantel’s intemperate vituperation for some 20 minutes, I finally told him that “you sound to me like a self-loathing homosexual in Congressman Dreier’s mode,” and hung up. It turned out that Rantel himself was guilty of hypocrisy — denouncing my article for discussing the Internet outing campaign while (I later learned) having himself discussed Dreier’s sexuality extensively on-air to titillate his listeners in the days before my story ran.

I had questioned, in my article, why the chain of daily papers in Dreier’s district had been silent on the contrast between Dreier’s anti-gay voting record and his closeted gay life. And I heard from the Pasadena Star-News (one of the larger dailies in this chain) requesting information. But, when I asked the reporter who called me if the Star-News would be running a story the next day, he warned me not to expect a story “any time soon” while telling me he couldn’t fill me in — even off the record — on the discussions about it at the Pasadena paper. Trying to talk to journalists from this pro-Republican Valley newspaper chain about Dreier is like trying to talk to a reporter from Pravda about Stalin in the dictators’ salad days — the fear of reprisals from management is palpable. Clearly, the “don’t ask, don’t tell” editorial policy about Dreier’s straight hypocrisy is still in effect in the Media News Group’s string of San Gabriel Valley dailies — none of which have published a single word about all this.

On the other hand, the e-mail traffic to my blog, DIRELAND, and to me directly, about this story has been vigorous. “Kris” wrote in to say: “Thanks for the story. I live in his District, and believe that many of his supporters had no clue, and either will care very much, or will have to closely examine their own prejudices. So, good work, good for you, and let’s see what the weak-spined area newspapers will do with it!” Many of my e-mails were in this same vein.

But not all of the responses were so kind — especially after a number of right-wing bloggers denounced my article. For example, “George” e-mailed me that “I don’t believe there is a lower form of journalism than outing. There is simply no justification for such an invasion of privacy. I just don’t care if he likes your agenda or not. Who is to say that a vote on XYZ is pro-gay or anti-gay? To characterize a bill in one or two words is infantile and anyone with a moment of experience in Washington knows that the dynamics are much more complicated than what you can put on a bumper sticker.” To which Scott Long posted this reply: “I can’t believe that some of the comments posted here actually seek to condemn outing of these Uncle Toms. Sounds like the individuals writing the comments are suffering from a cerebral-rectal-inversion syndrome.”

And, in the wake of my article, the national gay weekly The Advocate posted a column in defense of Mike Rogers’ Blogactive.com outing campaign — which first targeted Dreier — by Charles Kaiser, a former New York Times reporter and Princeton University journalism professor. Kaiser compared the outing of closeted politicians who oppose gay rights to the Times’ outing of a Jew who was a prominent American Nazi Party activist. “Hypocrisy — which in this case had morphed into extreme self-hatred — has traditionally been viewed by serious journalists as a good reason to do a story,” Kaiser wrote, suggesting “gay Republicans who actively work against gay causes are also guilty of a kind of hypocrisy that deserves public exposure.

“I don’t think there is any good argument for outing a closeted politician who supports gay rights,” Kaiser added, “but any secretly gay person who uses his bully pulpit to vilify his own people deserves the treatment Rogers is now meting out in the nation’s capital . . .”

The lesbian poet Judy Grahn once remarked that it isn’t talking about homosexuality that gets people upset — it’s talking about homophobia that drives people crazy. The reason, of course, is that doing so rubs the noses of people in their most deep-seated prejudices and fears. And, as my old friend Jules Feiffer — the cartoonist-playwright-scenarist — likes to point out, “Sex is still America’s dirty little secret.”

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/45/news-ireland.php

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran Bennett
                  You don't think its justifyed to 'out' such hypocritical persons? I would normally argue that a persons sexuality is not something that should be a matter for public consumption, however when someone is taking an anti-gay line, I think such hypocracy is relevant to the political debate.

Speaking of hypocracy, the leader of the Australian Nationalist Movement, an anti-asian neo-nazi group who wanted to preserve a 'white Australia', his grandmother was from <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=Java&v=56">Java</a>.

No she wasn't. The whole 'Jack van Tongeren is 1/4th asian' is media bollocks.

He admits that his great-grandmother was a half-caste, making one of his great-great-grandparents asian, but that's a pretty long bow to draw...
                  SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
                    No she wasn't. The whole 'Jack van Tongeren is 1/4th asian' is media bollocks.

He admits that his great-grandmother was a half-caste, making one of his great-great-grandparents asian, but that's a pretty long bow to draw...

So long it is a bow, it can be drawn. 1/4 or not, it is mixed. Half caste of not, it is half caste. In short, not pure.

Yet, not pure or mixed or half caste doesn't mean they are useless or not patriotic.

Read about the Anglo Indians who number 50,000 in Australia. When they were in India, they rather have claimed their 'white' parentage. Yet, when the left India to find their 'white' link, folks like you 'astonished' them of the narrowmindedness, so much so they yearned for where they at least were not looked upon.

Yet, are they any less Australians? They serve Australia well.

Just a reminder how bigotedness push people who want to be ammalgamated into their father's (white) origin into realising that the origin has rather bigoted and discriminatory people who keep them segregated; at least emotionally.

Here is an article.

Anglo Indians Pioneers and Prodigies

The anglo-Indians, children of mixed marriage, were called, the wheels, the cranks, the levers of the Empire building machinery. In the modernization of India they were the pioneers. The Anglo-Indians have a tradition of being punctilious in work, meticulous in appearance and gregarious and lively in food habits, speech and customs.

Anglo-Indians children of mixed marriages, loved and cherished, reared to speak the languages of the ruler and the ruled, their linguistic proficiency and swarthy complexions were utilized to advantage in war and peace, in trade and acquisition in the early days of the East India Company.

Their religion, dress, customs and eventually manners and mores identified them with the British. In turn they were accepted them with the British. In turn they were accepted and rejected according to the political whims of the Directors in London.

There was no escape from Mendel’s Law. The fair sibling climbed high on the ladder while his black brother had to remain on the periphery of the enchanted circle.

The Anglo-Indian is an original Calcutta. He is as old as the city itself. Job Charnock, the founder of Calcutta, was the father of three daughters by his Indian wife.

The early settlers left their womenfolk at home and so in the 17th and early 18th centuries, it was not uncommon for the Englishman to marry an Indian wife and adopt Indian ways. His children inherited his fortune and were sent home for education.

The name Anglo-Indian was coin to describe an India-returned Englishman. It was not until the early 20th century that the word came to denote the mixed or Eurasian population in India.

At its peak, the community in Calcutta is said to have numbered 50,000far outnumbering the English population in the settlement. In the 18th century, Britain was at war on many fronts in Europe and in the New World. England’s country born children threw in their lot with their fatherland against warring Nawabs and Rajahs. They were an indispensable part of the British army.

After the mulatto uprising in San Domingo in Haiti, country born children were barred from retuning to England for education and a few years later a ban was imposed on their appointments in civil, military and marine services. Indian society did not accept the phirangi, and so anglo-Indian history is fraught with many vicissitudes. Wealthy Eurasian indigo planters, zamindars and merchants bequeathed large endowments for the education of the weaker sections. In the crash of 1833 and again during the slump a century later, many lost their fortunes and their jobs. It is to the community’s credit that they realized the needs of the time and set up educational institutions to equip their children for other jobs.

In Calcutta, among prepared boys for jobs as uncovenanted hands in upper subordinate positions. With their political strength growing in Bengal the British saw the need to use the Eurasian as a go-between.

The opening of the Suez Canal brought the Fishing Fleets to India and mixed marriages were now frowned upon. Their usefulness over and the Empire establish the British pushed those very same country born who had defended the Union jack during the 1857 mutiny with untold valour, into privileged posts with no future. And so the Eurasian abandoned enterprise in favour of secure government service and this was a contributory cause of his economic decline.

The Anglo-Indian officer in the Railways-India, Custom, Police or Port Commissioners has a tradition of being punctilious in work and meticulous in appearance. In the modernization of India, the Anglo-Indian faced the perils of pioneering. He surveyed the unknown terrain, treacherous hills, malarious marshes and dangerously infested jungles. He supervised the laying of railway tracks, of planting telegraph poles, of building housing colonies in way out areas. Rightly have Anglo-Indians been called the wheels the cranks, the levers of Empire building machinery.

Generations of discipline born in the schoolroom and the sports field, bred an esprit de corps in the Anglo-Indian. Many a steam locomotive was manned by a father and son team. They took pride in the tip top condition of the engine and its split-second punctuality, so much so that one could set one’s watch by the Indian Railways.

The Customs Officer with his colleague in the Port Commissioner’s worked hard and played hard. Leslie Claudius and Pat Jansen were Olympic hockey players and retained the gold for India in the 1948 Games.

When Claudius walked into the smoking-room of the Bengal Club in 1990, heads turned in admiring recognition. An all-round sportsman, Claudius remembers fondly how he learnt to play football in his own backyard with the chokra boys. Quite by chance and at the instance of another hockey giant, Dickie Carr he became an Olympic hockey player. He is wistful about the changes in the sports world he knew so well. Nobody cares now he says, thinking of the spontaneous warmth of the pat on the back by a spectator for a game well played.

The pride of the Calcutta Police was its Anglo-Indian Sergeant contingent. These tall hefty lads were prominent on any parade or display astride their red Harley Davidson motorcycles. The story goes that the legendary Ronnie Moore ate his breakfast standing, off the mantelshelf in the Lal Bazaar mess so as not to crush his white satin jean uniform! Many a policeman has dined out on the Sergeant Evans story. The greenhorn sergeant on duty found a car wrongly parked on the main street outside the famous firpo’s restaurant and tea-room. Not satisfied with booking the offending chauffeur, he summoned the owner. Fairweather said the gentleman, I don’t care if you are Fair weather of foul weather reprimanded Evans. My orders stand. The next morning Mr.Fairweather, Commissioner of Police, congratulated and commended Sergeant Evans.

The academic qualifications required for the reserved posts were low, as a result of which few Anglo-Indians aspired to higher studies. Their ambition was stifled, though there have been and still are a few members of the community who rose to the rank of Deputy Commissioner of Police, Member Railway Board and Post Master General. Some have been successful in the legal and medical professions.

Monseigneur Barber, a true Calcutta Anglo-Indian, sits back in his chair with a cigar in his room the Sacred Heart Church in Dharamsala-the gift of a Portuguese lady, Dona Pascoag De Souza. He chuckles over the good old days of his boyhood with characteristic sense of humours. His father was Assistant Value in the quasi government Calcutta Improvement Trust, frequently acting as Chief, but he knew that though he was worth his salt, he would never get the job. The situation changed radically after independence.

Monseigneur Barber tells of the Indian Defense Force (IDF) of the First World War. Jocularly nicknamed the I don’t fight corps, the men were recruited entirely from the Anglo-Indian community under the British officer. He may have been only a lieutenant, but he thought he was a Major General! The Monsignor’s Uncle Carmody who later rose high in the railways with seven others ran the German railway in Africa. When the boys returned home, they had to beg for jobs.

In search of nostalgia, Father Horace Rosario S.J. proved a treasure trove of oral history which he recounted at length in the parlour of St.Xavier’s College on Park Street. Living within themselves, the community developed certain characteristics manifested in the Church, the club and the Boarding School.

Sunday mornings, well dressed families-the women until two decades ago sporting hats, gloves and veils-make their way to their parish church on foot, in rickshaws, in cars and taxis. The majority of Anglo-Inidans in Calcutta today are Catholics.

After Mass, they visit each other’s homes and stay on for a lunch of kofta curry and yellow rice.

A gregarious, fun-loving, musical and convivial people, merriment with lots to eat and drink are a part of the Anglo-Indian life-style. Baptism, first holy communions with all due reverence are celebrated with one big bash at the Grail and Rangers Club. This is the bond that holds the community together, says Father Rosario.

The Railway Institute in the mofussil and the clubs in the cities were an important aspect of their culture. Unlike British clubs, these were never male preserves, but very much a family haunt. The Calcutta Rangers Club founded in 1896, is one of the premier Anglo-Indian Clubs in the country. In sports, the club has nurtured some of the finest hockey, football and basketball teams. The major events in the Club’s social calendar are Housie Nites, and the Balls-Easter, May Queen, Independence Eve and New Year’s Eve. In the days gone by, reminisces one old resident, live five piece bands would play for Rs.30/- a night. Young and old jived, jitterbugged and rock and rolled with gay abandon. In his time, Cedric Coutts sang Charmaine in his charming baritone. Those were the days Scotch whisky was eight annas (50p) a peg. Endless plates of potato chips and bottles of tomato sauce were on the house. Apart from social activities, the Calcutta Rangers Sweep donated large sums to local charities

Boarding schools were another adjunct that catered to the itinerant Anglo-Indians who sent their children to Darjeeling, Nanital, Hazaribagh and Asansol. Organized games were compulsory. Children played all games and became all-rounders.

Boxing was a favourite sport and many were the fans of Kid D’Silva of Calcutta.

Because of the transferable nature of his job, the Anglo-Indian did not think of building his own home. On retirement, Calcutta was the home base for many. They rented houses, flats or rooms in Dharamtalla, bow Bazaar, Ripon Street, Royd Street and the small lanes off Free School Street, once called Colinga which is still their stronghold. The building may be shabby and decrepit, but the home is always neat. Windows are curtained and sheets are aired regularly. Émigrés to Australia have taken this habit with them. The vase of flowers on the teapoy was always freshly filled and the mali (gardner) with his basket of blooms was as regular as the rotiwala (breadman). Plastic flowers are more practical today.

Warm and hospitable, the Anglo-Indian housewife kept an open house. No guest could leave without having had a boxwall’s curry puff or a slice of cake.

Each family has its favourite recipes for prawn curry, vindaloo, jhal frazie and the all time favourite alu chop (potato rissole) to which the individual bawarchi (chef) adds his particular flavour.

Chrismas is the greatest day of the year. Preparations for Barrha Din start months ahead with the bottling of kala jamun (Indian blackberry) wine in summer. From October, the durzees (tailors) of Ripon Street and Madge Lane, the latter named after a well known Anglo-Indian family who owned the land on which stand the New Market and Globe Cinema, are busy cutting and stitching the latest fashions from Vogue magazine. Granny’s amra pickle and Aunty’s chutney are sunned. Finally the baker arrives to take away the cake-mix rich with fruit and spice to bake into a dozen or more portions for family and friends.

Frank Anthony’s mother sent him a dozen bottles of the Anglo-Indian special liquor and Milk Punch at Chrismas every year until she died. It was not unusual for a railway family to come to Calcutta for their Christmas shopping on the sales of their year’s collection of newspapers. They like so many others still make New Market their second home for the pre-Christmas weeks, buying presents, window shopping and munching on hot gram and Nizams kathi rolls which have followed the Anglo-Indian to Australia. Rosycheeked children, home from their boarding schools in the hills were happy sucking sticks of red and white barley sugar. Parties at home inevitably ended with a sing-song of old-time favourites round the piano-Roll Out the Barrel, When Irish Eyes are Smiling sounding lustier as the evening wore on.

Like their food and some of their ways, Anglo-Indian speech is a synthesis of English and Hindustani. In an accent and lilt entirely his own the young Anglo-Indian teases, Fatty Fatty Bomba Lati, ate up all the ghee chapatty, Inty Minty Papa Tinty, Tan Toon, Tessa, count Anglo-Indian children playing ring games. But the dialect as it may be called, was caught by Bobby Kokka in a 1960s Air India advertisement. She was a Dum dum blonde. To her Calcutta was Cal, Darjeeling was Darj and men to her were something that only came at the end of her sentences-until she went Idle wild.

And it was the Anglo-Indian girl who first volunteered for the job of air hostess. She led the way for the emancipated woman outside the home. In Calcutta they were the first among women to take up careers. As teachers they are the back-bone of the English medium schools in the city. Many a Calcuttan fondly cherishes and owes a debt to this great institution-from principal to Nursery Teacher. In nursing, it was the Anglo-Indian woman who lighted the lamp. Some are remembered as dedicated Matrons of public hospitals. In the world of entertainment, the beautiful sloe-eyed girl, product of a happy mixture of East and West, was top of the pops. Calcutta claims Merle Oberon as her own an Marie Wilson visited her city last year with a jazz group from Australia. The army of Patsys and Glorias kept the manually operated telephone lines in Calcutta alive and alert. The smart, efficient Anglo-Indian secretary was a most valuable asset in merchantile offices. Many, like Betty Catchick, Anne Lumsden and Jenny Paes carried this efficiency and dedication to work on to the playing field. Anne Lumsden was the only woman to win the Arjuna Award for her contribution o hockey. Jenny Paes, on the eve of her departure for Wimbledon to watch her son Leander, recalls her eventful career in basketball and her nine triumphant years as the ICI champion in the Office League matches. Her eldest daughter Jackie sometimes accompanied her and was the team mascot. Marie, her younger daughter followed in her mother’s footsteps and last year won the mot valuable player award in the Inter-Club tournament. She has taken up sports medicine like her father. Jenny Thompson nee Godfrey Writes from England, I often think about the interclub and interoffice matches played on the Chowringhee maidan. There was always such enthusiasm and excitement not only amongst the players but with all concerned, including the spectators. The experience and enjoyment I attained from these past years will never be forgotten. In his Oxford University Press office, the West Bengal MLA Neill O’Brien thinks back to 1967 on the Eddie Hyde Memorial Quiz, the first quiz competition in Calcutta. From small beginnings in a Parish Hall, quizzing has now become an All India pastime. The O’Brien boys are all three champion quizzers but father remains the Master Quizzer and Quiz Master. Mother, Joyce O’Brient at her desk at the All India Anglo-Indian Association, is a hot-line to help for many an SOS.

With Indian independence in 1947, the Anglo-Indian community felt insecure and there was a mass exodus of those who wished to leave. Those who remained were accepted as an Indian community. Not all agree that the job situation has improved, but there are many more opportunities. The Administrative and Defence Services hold Anglo-Indians in high positions.

Those who left Calcutta are fondly remembered, as is Johnny Mayer, the poor boy who half a century ago learnt to play the violin at the Calcutta School of Music from Philippe Sandre and played to dress-suited audiences at the Calcutta symphony orchestra concerts in the New Empire Theatre. A break at the Royal Academy of Music was the beginning of a very successful musical career.

From England and America, from Australia and Canada they come to visit the city of their birth. The younger generation come in search of their roots. Letters remain a link. Remembering happy times, Pat Beatty, Eva Deefholt and Patty Lord, erstwhile basketball players now in Australia write, we still value the many friends we made.

They have reconciled themselves to the changed times. A live for the day philosophy is evident in the octogenarian members of the community.

http://www.indiaprofile.com/lifestyle/angloindians.htm

I studied in an Anglo Indian school. I am proud of my association with them as the are proud to be Australians first and Indian born later.

This article I perchance found. It reminded me of my Anglo Indian friends and the great time I had with them. The stories here brought tears to my eyes (honest). I learnt so much from them and my Anglo Indian teachers. I am sad they went. Calutta would have been a better place with them around.

Give them a chance and all with mixed blood in various percentages, if you wish. They are as true to their country as those who think they have 'pure' blood!
                    Last edited by Ray; 02 Oct 04,, 14:56.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Ziska,

Note a large majority of the population of a multi cultural country would find blood in them that they would rather disown to achieve 'purity' and then come a cropper from guys who investigate deep into history!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

On a side note. "Big" Jim Thompson, former Gov. of Illinois and more recently a member of the 9/11 Commission, was reputed not to have run for higher officer after his tenure as governor because he was gay.

Whether this is true or not...who can say?

Comment

Working...
                        X