Zell Miller vs. Chris Matthews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjacobs43
    Well, according to your logic, there are no viable reasons for vetoing the bill.
    Unless one voted "no" to go to war, that would be a viable reason.
    Bush threatened to veto funding for our troops and for $1.3 million to go to the veterans. Boooo!!!! :)
    All I saw was some advisors said he should veto it, I don't see where Bush made that threat.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
      All I saw was some advisors said he should veto it, I don't see where Bush made that threat.
      I don't want to keep throwing links at you. But I believe Bush did threaten to veto the Bill himself.

Originally posted by bostonphoenix.com
      But consider that Bush himself had threatened to veto the entire $87 billion. According to a New York Times account from last October 30, the president warned lawmakers he would reject the bill if an $18.6 billion loan to Iraq were not changed to a no-strings-attached grant. Bush got his way.
      http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/...s/04035314.asp

Comment

But I believe Bush did threaten to veto the Bill himself.

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/...s/04035314.asp
        Is there a quote from Bush saying he would veto it? If not, why do you believe he said he would?

And... even if he did, was it because it wasn't just for Afghanistan/Iraq operations? Would he have vetoed a seperate bill with the VA bennies in it, so that they could keep their A/I bill clean of partisan special intrests?
        Last edited by Confed999; 08 Sep 04,, 03:22.
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Is there a quote from Bush saying he would veto it? If not, why do you believe he said he would?
          Yes...it says Bush threatened to veto the bill.

And... even if he did, was it because it wasn't just for Afghanistan/Iraq operations? Would he have vetoed a seperate bill with the VA bennies in it, so that they could keep their A/I bill clean of partisan special intrests?
          You're making my point for me. There are a lot of factors that go into a bill you either sign or don't sign. There's much more to the story than the final "yes" or "no" result.

I'm not claiming to know all of the details on this. What Kerry did could very well have just been for purely political reasons since he was running against Dean at the time. In fact, I'd say that's quite likely. But my point is, you can't just paint a picture of somebody based on a "yes" or "no" vote. Anybody who has been Senator for as long as Kerry is open to this type of distortion. The Republicans know what they're doing. They're attempting to brainwash people into believing that if Kerry was president, our security would be at risk.

Comment

Yes...it says Bush threatened to veto the bill.
            The story says it, but I see no quote. I can say Kerry is actually a girl, but that doesn't make it true.
            You're making my point for me.
            No, you just think I am. If the bill had everything in it to support the Iraq/Afghanistan wars, but was missing something, why not vote for the bill needed to support the troops and get the rest later?
            They're attempting to brainwash people into believing that if Kerry was president, our security would be at risk.
            It's not brainwashing, and I've seen nothing from the Kerry camp to make me believe otherwise. Even my father, a die hard democrat, will not vote for Kerry because of this. Do you think it's a coincidence Kerry doesn't talk about, or defend, his voting record?

Comment

It's not brainwashing, and I've seen nothing from the Kerry camp to make me believe otherwise. Even my father, a die hard democrat, will not vote for Kerry because of this. Do you think it's a coincidence Kerry doesn't talk about, or defend, his voting record?
              I really don't know what to think. I did not know much about any of the Democrats who ran in the primaries and right from the beginning I liked Kerry based on his voting record and his stated stances. Now, that the Republicans are out there attacking him, all of a sudden I'm told constantly that he doesn't have any voting record to stand on. And oh yeah, it's the most liberal voting record out there (Even more so than Kennedy). With so much mudslinging going on, all credible critiques of Kerry go right out the window. These candidates can not be judged by anything that has been "learned" during the course of this year.

Comment

I really don't know what to think.
                I assume all politicians are crooks, and I bet I'm right more often than I'm wrong. ;)

Comment

Working...
                X