• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I now officially hate George W. Bush!

Bush backs Turkey's EU efforts

The US is courting Turkey

By Rob Watson
    BBC Washington correspondent

US President George Bush has strongly backed Turkey's efforts to join the European Union.

He expressed his support during talks at the White House with the leader of Turkey's ruling party, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

In a sign of just how seriously the US is courting Turkey, Mr Erdogan was given time not just with President Bush, but with some of his most senior advisers as well.

With a smiling Mr Erdogan close by, the president said the US stood side-by-side with Turkey in its desire to become a member of the European Union.

It is a matter of great strategic importance to the Bush administration.

The US sees Turkey as a potential role model for other predominantly Muslim countries, and believes its embrace of secular democracy should be rewarded and encouraged by EU membership.

In diplomacy, though, there is often a catch.

The US also hopes that backing Turkey's efforts to join the EU will, in turn, lead to Ankara supporting possible military action against Iraq.

For his part, Mr Erdogan said joining the European Union was the most important modernisation project for his country since the creation of the Turkish state after the collapse of the Ottoman empire.

EU member countries are due to discuss enlargement of the union this weekend, though Turkey is not expected to be given a chance a join anything like as early as it would like to.
    (Source)

Turkey, an asian country, member of the European Union??! Mr. Bush, why don't you make Turkey member of the United States of America??!!

And Erdogan a "secular" muslim leader??!! Aren't you forgetting something, Mr. Bush:
    "The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers..."

- Poem that landed Erdogan in jail
    (Source)

Originally posted by eMGee
    Mr. Bush, why don't you make Turkey member of the United States of America??!!
    I doubt they could follow the rules. What does GWB have to do with your EU?
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
      Good point, but then again, why is Mexico in NAFTA if some would consider Mexico to be Central America?

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
        Read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
          Good point, but then again, why is Mexico in NAFTA if some would consider Mexico to be Central America?
          It's just a name, just like NATO has members that do not touch the Atlantic. Just like the EU, if it survives, could take on Asian, African and even North and South American countries, in the centuries to come.
          Read the article.
          I did. When did GWB get to vote on new EU members? This is politics stuff, from what I read. Any blame for new members should rest squarely on the shoulders of the Europeans allowing them in.
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Politics eh... After centuries of fighting and keeping the Mongols (including the Turks) out of Europe, this "cowboy" from Texas comes and tells us what to do??

I used to support Bush and this still doesn't mean I find Kerry, for example, better. Actually, I bet Kerry is even worse on this subject.

As for the "European" Union. I hope it'll collapse or cease to exist as soon as Turkey is "ready" to enter it.

The EU is a farce!

Comment

Politics eh... After centuries of fighting and keeping the Mongols (including the Turks) out of Europe, this "cowboy" from Texas comes and tells us what to do??

I used to support Bush and this still doesn't mean I find Kerry, for example, better. Actually, I bet Kerry is even worse on this subject.

As for the "European" Union. I hope it'll collapse or cease to exist as soon as Turkey is "ready" to enter it.

The EU is a farce!
              Maybe we're fixing it to better suit humanity than the original EU/UN farce aka the Axis Of Weasel.

Exactly why do you hate Turkey anyway? Isreali ally? Chechen Diaspora in the northern half of the country? Or because it's a Muslim Country?

Comment

I don't know what your problem is. Geographically, Turkey IS part of Europe. There is a reason the bridge in Istanbul is famous for spanning two continents: Asia and Europe.
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
                  I don't know what your problem is. Geographically, Turkey IS part of Europe. There is a reason the bridge in Istanbul is famous for spanning two continents: Asia and Europe.
                  No.

Istanbul still geographically is, but culturally it isn't anymore. It's original culture and religion were destoryed after it was taken by the Mongols (Turks). Istanbul (read: Byzantinium) used to the capital of the Byzantine/Eastern-Roman Empire. The Aya Sophia church was simply rebuilt into a dirty mosque...

And my problem is, mainly, that Turkey's culture doesn't fit in Europe at all! Aside that, Turks in Europe give a lot of problems already and open borders would mean being flooded by Turks.

By the way, all the arguments that are given for them to join (the EU) are either false or based on lies. Heh, I'd love to see Turkey still being "secular" without the army seeying to it, LOL

Comment

By the way, all the arguments that are given for them to join (the EU) are either false or based on lies. Heh, I'd love to see Turkey still being "secular" without the army seeying to it, LOL
                    You notice nobody in Turkey wears a Fez anymore? The Government banned the people from wearing one. And they seemed quite secular in that they were unheard of, least of all enforced in the Islamic States.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
                      You notice nobody in Turkey wears a Fez anymore? The Government banned the people from wearing one. And they seemed quite secular in that they were unheard of, least of all enforced in the Islamic States.
                      Indeed

Comment

Indeed
                        Indeed they were. No different from the way Chechens, Afghans, Somalis, ect. All dressed. But different from Taliban enforced burqa's and the Chador's that wahabbi's want Muslim Women to wear.

There was an interesting paragraph or two about Khassan Baiev debating the issue of what Chechen Women should wear with some Wahabbi's in his book, The Oath. Perhaps I'll excerpt that later on. :)

Comment

Turkey right now is about where Spain and Italy were 30 years ago in terms of the religiousness of their inhabitants, imo. I see Turks as being more Mediterranean than Islamic in their culture.

What happened with Attaturk in the 20's is about the same as what Napoleon did to the Catholic Church in France in the 1790's and Cavour did in Italy in the 1860's.

Turkey has a large population, but its fertility rate of 1.98 children per women (and declining) is below the replacement level of 2.1.

Scientifically speaking, Asia and Europe are not continents. Eurasia is a continent.

Anyways, nothing Bush says about Turkey joining the EU is going to have any impact on its prospects.
                          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Irondüke
                            Turkey right now is about where Spain and Italy were 30 years ago in terms of the religiousness of their inhabitants, imo. I see Turks as being more Mediterranean than Islamic in their culture.
                            Aside from the fact that I find this a huge insult to Italians and Spaniards, and a truly F**KED UP thing to say, you also prove to know absolutely NOTHING about Turkey. Like most pro-Turkey people, anyways...

What happened with Attaturk in the 20's is about the same as what Napoleon did to the Catholic Church in France in the 1790's and Cavour did in Italy in the 1860's.
                            All those "modernizations" and "democratic improvements" were purely cosmetic and as far as "religious enlightenment" goes (through so-called secularization) has totally failed aswell. The army, from day one, had to prevent that the fundamentalists/pro-Ottoman empire/pro-caliphate etc. would overthrow the "secular" government (which isn't as secular as it seems, especially with dear Erdogan in power; see his quote in one of my previous post.)

Turkey has a large population, but its fertility rate of 1.98 children per women (and declining) is below the replacement level of 2.1.
                            And how come Turks here in Europe, and we have a lot of them!!, averagely get above three/four children??

Scientifically speaking, Asia and Europe are not continents. Eurasia is a continent.
                            SCIENTIFICALLY?! LOL!

Anyways, nothing Bush says about Turkey joining the EU is going to have any impact on its prospects.
                            Oh no?? The whole EU, and before that the Marshall Plan, (how odd it may sound!) was forced upon us by the USA.

Since you and your government like Turkey so much, why don't you start a petition/lobby group for letting Turkey join the USA!

Yet again, I'm amazed how some Americans see how necessary it is for some beefed up, Asian country, to join the EUROPEAN Union

Comment

The rationale for the bias is so obvious.

But then each to his own views.
                              Last edited by Ray; 28 Jun 04,, 15:51.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X