2024 U.S. Election of President and Vice President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Gates on Trump running for office again: ‘It would concern me’

Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates in a new interview said another run for office by former President Trump would “concern” him.

Asked by moderator Margaret Brennan on CBS’s “Face the Nation” if Trump running for office again would pose a threat to national security, Gates said, “It would concern me.”

“That’s a very diplomatic phrase,” Brennan responded, to which Gates said, “That’s where I am.”

Gates served as Defense secretary between 2006 and 2011, working under both former Presidents George W. Bush and Obama. He also led the CIA from 1991 until 1993.

In January 2020, Gates told PBS NewsHour that Trump was a “divider.”

“It’s quite clear that being a unifying president is pretty low on the priority of our current incumbent. I think he is a divider, and I think he does so quite consciously,” he said.

Gates has been critical of the GOP. Last May, he told CBS’s “Face the Nation” that he did not think the five GOP presidents he worked for would recognize the current Republican Party.

“I would have serious concerns about the future. You know, I’ve … worked for eight presidents. Five of them were Republicans. I don’t think any of them would recognize the Republican Party today,” Gates said. “I think in terms of the values and the principles that the Republican Party stood for under those five presidents are hard to find these days.”

In October, he commented on the “extreme polarization” in the U.S., telling “60 Minutes” that the “greatest threat is found within the two square miles that encompass the White House and the Capitol Building.”

Gates on Sunday also commented on the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. He called that day “a huge blight on our democracy.”

The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack is set to hold its first of eight hearings next month. Asked by Brennan if he thinks there is value in having the hearings aired publicly, he said, “I think so, yes.”

“I think people need to understand. My worry is that people will- that everybody will retreat to their ideological corner. And, and so nobody will— nobody will listen. I think maybe the best thing to do is just to rerun the videos,” he added.
    _______
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Former GOP House aide says Trump is likely to announce his 2024 presidential run soon because he 'has the impulse control of a freaking toddler'

A former House GOP aide said former President Donald Trump will likely announce his 2024 presidential run soon, despite the mounting criticism he's been facing over the House committee's hearings on the January 6, 2021, riot at the Capitol.

"Well, we all know from past experience that Donald Trump doesn't care about anybody else but Donald Trump," Kurt Bardella, a former GOP senior advisor for House Oversight and Government Reform Committee turned Trump critic, told MSNBC on Saturday.

"So it doesn't surprise me that when faced with the criticism that's been mounting right now, following the January 6 hearings, he's thinking about pulling the trigger now," he added.

Bardella, who is now a Democrat, said he welcomed the idea of Trump announcing his presidential run, implying that it could "implode the Republican Party before November."

Bardella's comments came amid speculation that Trump is looking at declaring his 2024 run early in a bid to stave off the wave of criticism against him in the wake of damning testimonies from witnesses called upon by the committee investigating the Capitol riot.

Some Republicans, however, are worried that an early announcement from Trump could damage the Republican Party in the upcoming midterm elections. Sources close to Trump told CBS that no final decision has been made on whether he will run or not, or when this will be announced.

There has also been speculation that Trump might face obstruction of justice charges after Rep. Liz Cheney, the GOP vice chair of the January 6 committee, presented evidence that the Trump camp may have engaged in witness tampering.

Bardella said it would be characteristic of Trump not to consider how his actions might affect his party.

"At the end of the day, he's going to do whatever he wants. He's shown that time and time again, this guy has the impulse control of a freaking toddler," he said, adding that Trump was the "golem" the GOP created.

Bardella added that, behind the scenes, Republicans who want to "dispense with Donald Trump" were likely "rooting for the January 6 committee."

"These guys have wanted to divorce themselves from Donald Trump for the last five years," he said. "They just have lacked the courage, the ability, the guts to actually do it."

Since 2021, Trump has teased a presidential run multiple times. In January, a video emerged that showed Trump calling himself the "45th and 47th president."
      _________

Seems like exactly the kind of guy that should be the leader of a major political party....
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Seems like exactly the kind of guy that should be the leader of a major political party....
        Who are you calling a major political party?
        Didn't we decide it was a cult?
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
          Who are you calling a major political party?
          Didn't we decide it was a cult?
          Yeah it sure as shit is. The scariest cult I've ever seen. Especially when survivors of other cults like Jonestown have said how much Donald Trump reminds them of a cult leader.

Comment

An extremely early Trump 2024 announcement would be a 'train wreck' for the GOP that also won't deter the prosecutors on his heels, experts say
            • Trump may be set on announcing a presidential bid this year to cow his GOP rivals.
            • An announcement before November's midterms would be a "train wreck" for Republicans, a GOP strategist told Insider.
            • It also would have little, if any, impact on whether the Justice Department decides to charge Trump.
            House investigators have aired damning testimony and unfurled reams of evidence. The Justice Department is closing in with search warrants and subpoenas to key figures in the efforts to overturn the 2020 election. In Atlanta, a local prosecutor is summoning several Trump allies — including Sen. Lindsey Graham and Rudy Giuliani — to testify before a grand jury.

None of which seems to be deterring Donald Trump.

Far from on his heels, the former president is mulling an unusually early announcement that he is running for president, a move designed to steal oxygen from emergent Republican rivals and shield him from the damning revelations spilling out of the inquiries into his efforts to overturn the 2020 election. Multiple news organizations have reported that he could announce a third White House bid as early as this month, but Trump recently backed off that idea, a Republican strategist told Insider following conversations with two of the former president's advisors.

An early announcement by Trump may intimidate some of his up-and-coming rivals out of the 2024 race, but it would mean tolerating some tactical downsides.

Trump would be ineligible to tap into the millions of dollars stashed in his political action committee to directly support his presidential run. Federal campaign finance laws would cap donations to a Trump campaign at $2,900 per person through the primaries, limiting the former president's ability to tap into wealthy donors. And an early announcement would thrust the polarizing former president into the midterms and backfire on Republicans aiming to focus on President Joe Biden and inflation in their bid to retake control of Congress.

Nor would an early announcement stave off potential charges stemming from his efforts to hold onto the White House.

To be sure, an official announcement would only raise the already high stakes of charging the former president for a Justice Department determined to remove itself from the politicization of the Trump era.

But Trump should not expect another run for president to serve as any kind of forcefield against prosecution, former prosecutors and other legal experts said, no matter how much an active candidacy would complicate a case for the Justice Department.

"Announcing years before an election, I don't think that will serve as the proper prophylactic to have DOJ back off," said former acting US attorney Michael Sherwin, who led the federal prosecutor's office in Washington, DC, in the final months of the Trump administration and oversaw the initial prosecutions stemming from the January 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol.

'Win first'
            An early campaign announcement could carry the political upside of crowding out Republican rivals who prefer not to enter a contest against him.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has polled at or even ahead of Trump, hasn't said whether he'd run for the White House as he gears up for his gubernatorial reelection this year. It's not clear how a Trump announcement would factor into his decisionmaking.

That attention isn't lost on Trump. He sees DeSantis as a rival and, in conversations with advisors that have spilled into news reports, chafed at a governor 33 years his junior who represents a new generation of Republican populists informed by Trump.

It's growing increasingly clear that not all Republicans see Trump as the de-facto nominee for their party in 2024, regardless of when he announces, NBC News reported.

Trump's advisers are urging him to delay an announcement until 2023, but a chief perspective for Trump would be that of of his wife, Melania Trump, according to the GOP strategist who has spoken to Trump's advisors.

One of the reasons Republicans are urging Trump to wait is to help congressional candidates and sitting lawmakers make inroads in the November midterms. Democrats are beleagured by soaring inflation and their failure to deliver on key aspects of Biden's agenda, with Republicans poised to benefit from voter dissatisfaction.

Republicans have focused much of their campaign messaging on the high prices weighing down voters under President Joe Biden's watch, and a Trump announcement could impact the 2022 midterms "in uncertain ways," said one Republican strategist who discussed an early announcement with Trump.

"Win first, answer questions later," the person said. Some worry that Republicans' chances to retake the House could be hurt if Democrats are successfully able to make midterms about Trump, a circumstance that likely contributed to GOP losses in two 2021 runoffs that gave Democrats their razor-thin control of the Senate.

One top GOP strategist told Insider that a pre-midterm announcement from Trump would be a "train wreck for the party" and "a complete mess."

"It will take the emphasis off Biden and the administration and put it on Trump — which is right where he likes it — and would be terrible for candidates" who will then be asked about Trump's campaign as well as their thoughts on the January 6 hearings, the person said.

Campaign finance laws are another reason to wait. After an announcement, Trump would have to set up an official campaign account that would accept no more than $2,900 for donations from individuals, said Sheila Krumholtz, executive director of OpenSecrets, a nonpartisan reseach organization focused on money in politics.

Currently, Trump can raise unlimited sums through Super PACs and coordinate on messaging and events. He also doesn't have to report all the spending details from his political operation, which would include everything from payroll and travel to polling firms.

"The more money politicians can raise and stand outside of the limits before they start a campaign, the easier it is to raise money," Krumholtz said.

'I'm off-limits'
            Trump has a reputation for responding to investigations with accusations of political bias. In the face of an investigation into the Trump Organization, Trump's lawyers accused New York Attorney General Letitia James of prosecutorial misconduct and highlighted past statements in which she referred to Trump as an "illegitimate president" who "should be scared" of her.

Meanwhile, Trump deployed a label he'd previously used against the Russia investigation: "witch hunt."

During the Russia investigation, Special Counsel Robert Mueller III's team declined to consider indicting Trump in light of the Justice Department's longstanding policy against charging a sitting president. Now, more than a year removed from the presidency, Trump has lost that protection at a time of mounting legal risk.

"You can't let the former president immunize himself by declaring his candidacy super early and then claiming, 'Now I'm off-limits, you can't indict me,'" said Randall Eliason, a George Washington University law professor and former public corruption prosecutor in the US attorney's office in Washington, DC. "If he is charged, no matter when it happens, part of what he's going to claim is: This is political and this is the Biden Justice Department trying to take me out. He will claim that whether or not he has announced his candidacy."

In damning testimony last week, a former White House aide said Trump learned that some supporters gathered on January 6, 2021, were armed before he urged them to "fight like hell" and march on the Capitol. The bombshell testimony from Cassidy Hutchinson, once a top aide to former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, shed light on Trump's mindset and activities ahead of the Capitol attack and eroded any potential legal defense that he was merely propounding well-founded concerns about election fraud.

Hutchinson's testimony came within a week of the Justice Department issuing subpoenas and executing search warrants in connection with January 6 and efforts to overturn the 2020 election. On June 22, federal investigators searched the home of Jeffrey Clark, a former Justice Department who backed Trump's baseless election fraud claims, and FBI agents seized the phone of John Eastman, a conservative attorney behind a fraught legal theory for then-Vice President Mike Pence to delay or block the certification of Joe Biden's electoral victory.

It is unclear to what extent the Justice Department's intensifying inquiry is focusing on Trump. But legal experts said the testimony before the House committee investigating January 6 could support an eventual prosecution.

A third run for president could influence any decision by the Justice Department to bring charges — "but not yet," said Barb McQuade, a University of Michigan law professor and former US attorney in Detroit.

McQuade pointed to a Justice Department policy to avoid bringing cases or taking investigative steps that could affect the outcome of an election. "That usually results in inaction around 60 days before an election. Primary elections will not be held until 2024, so I don't think a campaign announcement will have much effect on a DOJ investigation," she said. "I would expect charges, if any, to be filed well before then."

Hutchinson's testimony was particularly damaging in that it addressed areas of potential criminality that House lawmakers, lawyers, and judges had already identified. In her two-hour appearance before the House select committee, Hutchinson recounted a conversation she had with then-White House counsel Pat Cipollone, who pulled her aside just days before January 6 out of concern about Trump's considerations of marching to the Capitol with supporters.

"We're going to get charged with every crime imaginable," Cipollone said, according to Hutchinson's recollection of the January 3, 2021 conversation.

One of the crimes on Cipollone's mind at the time was the same one the House committee accused Trump of committing in a March court filing: obstruction of an official proceeding, a felony carrying a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. A federal judge in California also said that Trump "likely" obstructed Congress, in a ruling that described the former president and Eastman's activities as a "coup in search of a legal theory."

Another judge suggested that Trump incited the crowd that gathered near the White House on January 6 for a "Stop the Steal" rally. In a February ruling, Judge Amit Mehta said that, after fostering an "air of distrust and anger" with his claims the 2020 election had been stolen, Trump should have realized that his supporters would have interpreted his incendiary speech as a "call to action." Mehta's ruling allowed civil lawsuits to proceed against Trump in connection with January 6.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to charge Trump falls to the Justice Department, where Attorney General Merrick Garland has repeatedly declared himself unmoved by political pressure and stressed that prosecutors will "follow the facts and the law." Garland has also reiterated that "no one is above the law."

Still, any charges against Trump would surely draw outcry from Republicans and claims that the Justice Department was taking out Biden's political rival.

Norm Eisen, who served as counsel for House Democrats in Trump's first impeachment, told Insider that a 2024 candidacy would be a "complicating factor" in any consideration of charges against Trump.

But, he told Insider, "we can't allow a presidential candidate to effectively self-pardon by a premature, atypically early announcement of a reelection campaign.

"I don't think prosecutors should allow his decision whether or not to run again to influence them. I would prefer a world in which we weren't forced to make these decisions about an ex-president, but it would be even worse to have a world in which an ex-president could behave with utter legal impunity and get away with it and commit really outrageous violations of law with no consequences."

________

Interesting...I'd just assumed that announcing his candidacy would largely immunize him from the DoJ at the least (Georgia would've been a different story).

Well now, that gives me a bit of hope that Merrick Garland has some breathing room....for whatever it's worth.

Comment

California Governor Gavin Newsom has his hat firmly in the ring for 2024.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gavin-n...g_now_opn_pos3

Oh, and Fox is attacking him, so call it confirmed.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

@patriottakes
                Trump goes full authoritarian, says he regrets not taking over Democrat ran cities and pledged next time to take them over.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1545591144544870400
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That wasn't even off the cuff, he clearly read that. Openly pledging to end federalism by the sounds of it.
                Last edited by statquo; 09 Jul 22,, 17:10.

Comment

Originally posted by statquo View Post
                  @patriottakes
                  Trump goes full authoritarian, says he regrets not taking over Democrat ran cities and pledged next time to take them over.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1545591144544870400
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That wasn't even off the cuff, he clearly read that. Openly pledging to end federalism by the sounds of it.
                  Only in cities that don't support him though. How he's going to do it is another question.
                  If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Reuters
                    Thursday, 21 July 2022
                    President Joe Biden tests positive for COVID

Joe Biden, the oldest person ever to serve as president of the United States, has tested positive for COVID and is experiencing mild symptoms, the White House said.

Comment

Trump says 'Fox & Friends' has 'gone to the dark side' after the show's hosts mentioned polls showing Ron DeSantis beating him in 2024
                      • Trump lashed out at the "Fox & Friends" talk show in a rant on Truth Social.
                      • He accused the show's hosts of botching his poll numbers "on purpose."
                      • "That show has been terrible — gone to the 'dark side,'" he wrote.
                      Former President Donald Trump on Monday slammed Fox News' morning talk show "Fox & Friends," calling the program "terrible" after one of its hosts questioned his poll numbers.

Trump launched an angry tirade over his Truth Social platform, writing, "@foxandfriends just botched my poll numbers, no doubt on purpose."

"That show has been terrible — gone to the 'dark side,'" the former president wrote.

He then accused the show of "quickly" mentioning a poll taken at Turning Point USA over the weekend, where 78.7%
                      of respondents chose Trump as the winner of the 2024 Republican presidential primary, compared to 19% who chose Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

"They quickly quote the big Turning Point Poll victory of almost 60 points over the number two Republican, and then hammer me with outliers," Trump complained. "Actually, almost all polls have me leading all Republicans & Biden BY A LOT."

Trump was referencing a portion of the show in which two hosts weighed in on what the Turning Point USA poll meant in comparison to other polls, some of which have shown DeSantis could beat Trump.

"That is a little different than a couple of other polls we've seen over the past couple of weeks," host Steve Doocy said, referencing the Turning Point poll.

Doocy pointed to two polls — a Blueprint poll in Florida and polling from New Hampshire — which both showed DeSantis ahead of Trump.

"So it's like the young people who are activists at that event like the former president, but looking at these other polls, different answer," Doocy said.

Host Brian Kilmeadeadded that DeSantis showed "tremendous strength in New Hampshire, Michigan, and Florida" if the numbers were looked at "state by state."

In his Truth Social post on Monday, Trump also hit out at former GOP House Speaker Paul Ryan for being a "RINO" and "one of the weakest and worst Speakers EVER." Ryan currently sits on Fox Corp.'s board of directors.

Trump's rift with "Fox & Friends" comes after rumblings that media mogul Rupert Murdoch's empire might be turning on the former president. For instance, the New York Post slammed Trump in a scorching editorial on Sunday, calling him "unworthy to be this country's chief executive again."

The Wall Street Journal, another Murdoch-owned publication, also called Trump "The President Who Stood Still on Jan. 6" while praising former Vice President Mike Pence.

However, Trump's remarks about "Fox & Friends" mark a shift in the way the former president views the show. During his presidency, Trump was known to have fallen back on the show to do almost weekly calls.

In September 2020, Trump was also awkwardly rebuffed after he said he planned to call into the show "regularly" in the last weeks of campaigning.

"You may want to do it every week, but Fox is not committed to that," Doocy told Trump at the time, The New York Times reported. "We'll take it on a case-by-case basis."

Representatives for Fox News and Paul Ryan did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Insider.
                      _______

Comment

Here's a question for all. Liz Cheney will no doubt lose her primary race this August unless the polls are massively wrong. In an interview by Tapper she was non-committal concerning 2024 when asked might she run. At the end of the interview she said she would do all in her power to see Trump not get re-elected in 2024. Hmm. She couldn't beat him in a primary with all the far right coming out for Trump as we well know. However, could she pull a Ross Perot and run as an Independent thereby siphoning enough votes away from Trump to enable a Democrat to win and once and for all get rid of Trump? This assuming Trump runs and beats out DeSantis which is a probable scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                          Here's a question for all. Liz Cheney will no doubt lose her primary race this August unless the polls are massively wrong. In an interview by Tapper she was non-committal concerning 2024 when asked might she run. At the end of the interview she said she would do all in her power to see Trump not get re-elected in 2024. Hmm. She couldn't beat him in a primary with all the far right coming out for Trump as we well know. However, could she pull a Ross Perot and run as an Independent thereby siphoning enough votes away from Trump to enable a Democrat to win and once and for all get rid of Trump? This assuming Trump runs and beats out DeSantis which is a probable scenario.
                          That's a very interesting what-if scenario.

But, it's rather doubtful that she goes for a third-party/independent run.

For starters, I don't see her pulling more than a handful of voters from Trump. There's no pulling voters away from Trump anymore.
                          Between your straight-ticket Republicans and the usual Cult45 MAGAts, he's got them locked in until the day he takes a dirt nap.

I also wouldn't see her getting enough money or publicity to get more than a few miles down the campaign trail.

In favor of your scenario though, it wouldn't take more than a few tens of thousands of voters in the right places to make a difference.
                          As I recall, even though Biden won by many millions nationally, it really came down to under a hundred thousand votes in certain districts, not unlike Trump's win in 2020. (somebody correct my numbers, I'm sure they're off)

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

That's a very interesting what-if scenario.

But, it's rather doubtful that she goes for a third-party/independent run.

For starters, I don't see her pulling more than a handful of voters from Trump. There's no pulling voters away from Trump anymore.
                            Between your straight-ticket Republicans and the usual Cult45 MAGAts, he's got them locked in until the day he takes a dirt nap.

I also wouldn't see her getting enough money or publicity to get more than a few miles down the campaign trail.

In favor of your scenario though, it wouldn't take more than a few tens of thousands of voters in the right places to make a difference.
                            As I recall, even though Biden won by many millions nationally, it really came down to under a hundred thousand votes in certain districts, not unlike Trump's win in 2020. (somebody correct my numbers, I'm sure they're off)
                            Well Gore lost Florida by 537 votes in 2000 while Nader got 24,000 votes by Democrats. No Nader then no Bush one could possibly say. Of course Democrats stayed home and quite a few voted for Bush. So some say Nader wasn't the reason for Gore losing. No, not the only reason but put all three together. Kansas and New Hampshire went for Bush but were close enough to maybe swing to Gore if no Nader. Nader didn't exactly have deep pockets. I do think that not everyone for voted for Trump the first time around would vote the second time around.

Comment

I don't think it's likely because she is an all in conservative Republican...the type we knew of before Trump. With her family pedigree that is a hell of a lot to turn her back on.

But, I also say never say never.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Well Gore lost Florida by 537 votes in 2000 while Nader got 24,000 votes by Democrats. No Nader then no Bush one could possibly say. Of course Democrats stayed home and quite a few voted for Bush. So some say Nader wasn't the reason for Gore losing. No, not the only reason but put all three together. Kansas and New Hampshire went for Bush but were close enough to maybe swing to Gore if no Nader. Nader didn't exactly have deep pockets. I do think that not everyone for voted for Trump the first time around would vote the second time around.
                                Oh it's definitely true that a comparatively few votes in the right place could make the difference. But like Buck said, she'd be turning her back on 'the family business'.

Comment

Working...
                                X