2024 U.S. Election of President and Vice President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    They complained that Jim Lehrer of PBS as moderator was biased. Lehrer stopped voting in the early 1970s when he moved to PBS because as a member of its board and on air newscaster he believed it was important he remain neutral.

Lehrer's biggest issue si he forced, as much as possible, candidates to stick to the debate rules agreed to by both parties.
    People have been complaining about his hardball to the right softball to the Left moderation style for years....

http://archive.mrc.org/realitycheck/...ax20080925.asp

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
      Oh, my.

The official position of the GOP is that the violent attempt to overturn the 2020 election — to circumvent democracy itself through unlawful means — was just politics as usual …

And still,even so, some people think the left has a problem ?
      I would recommend pulling your head out of the sand before you end up with President Trump again, except this time with a 60 seat Senate majority.
      And that's not just my opinion.
      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

I would recommend pulling your head out of the sand before you end up with President Trump again, except this time with a 60 seat Senate majority.
        And that's not just my opinion.
        60 seat majority, sure, I can see that.

President Trump again? Only if the Electoral College saves him from yet another loss at the polls.

Also, he's not wrong about the official position of GOP. In that regard his head is clearly above ground.

It's Trump and his apologists that have their heads jammed up their ass.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Four I'd are driving a surge in Republican voter registrations and depressing Democrat enthusiasm among once reliable constutuencies: inflation, immigration, insecurity and intolerance.

Comment

Lawmakers worry 2020 will be a blueprint for stealing a future election
            Both a federal judge and the top Republican on the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot have now reached the same stark conclusion: There is evidence to suggest Donald Trump’s effort to overturn the 2020 election could be a crime.

Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., said last weekend that her panel had compiled enough facts to refer Trump to the Justice Department for criminal prosecution, while U.S. District Judge David Carter wrote last month that Trump and others undertook “a coup in search of a legal theory.”

Neither has the power to bring charges against the former president. That’s up to Attorney General Merrick Garland, whose focus to date has largely been the people who stormed the Capitol in a violent effort to keep Trump in power.

Trump denies any wrongdoing and his allies contend that Cheney has lost credibility as any sort of fair broker. Pointing to Cheney’s persistent criticism of Trump, Republican South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem told NBC News: “I couldn’t see the point in it other than that she was angry and bitter.”

But amid reports of a split within the House Jan. 6 panel over whether to make a direct case to Garland that he needs to target Trump, the members seem wholly unified when it comes to another point: There might well be another attempted coup in 2024 and Jan. 6 supplied the blueprint for pulling it off.

That fear is helping to shape their plans for hearings, slated to start next month.

“Our focus is showing the country how close we came to losing our democracy and why we’re not out of the woods,” Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., a member of the House committee, told NBC News.

Donald Trump supporters storm the Capitol building (Spencer Platt / Getty Images file)

Members plan to hold public hearings that will lay out the evidence they’ve gathered and describe a multi-pronged effort to disenfranchise voters by handing the losing presidential candidate a second term.

The committee’s main audience will be the general public; another is Garland. But to the extent that people watching from home are alarmed by what they learn, the hope is that it could pique Congress’s interest and give fresh incentive to re-write the 19th century law that controls the process used to tabulate presidential elections. After watching 2020 unfold, some elected officials and election experts fear the Electoral Count Act could be exploited in ways that might give Trump or someone else a victory in 2024, whether they win enough votes or not. No laws even need be broken.

“A lot of what we saw in 2020 and the aftermath of the election was testing the waters to see where there are weaknesses in the system of laws that govern us,” Arizona’s Democratic Secretary of State Katie Hobbs told NBC News. If there is no “accountability and tightening up of these laws, we are at risk of these things happening again,” added Hobbs, who is now running for governor.

Fake electors
            One focus of the Jan. 6 panel is the alternate, or what critics call “fake” electors who surfaced in the last presidential election. Dozens of people from five swing states that President Joe Biden won signed documents purporting to be “duly elected and qualified” electors and declaring that Trump was the victor. (In two other states, New Mexico and Pennsylvania, the documents included caveats saying their legitimacy depended on whether Trump was ultimately found to be the winner).

The slates were sent to Washington, where Trump loyalists prepared to use them for his advantage. A memo written by John Eastman, an attorney who was advising Trump at the time, spelled out several scenarios in which Vice President Mike Pence, presiding over the count, would recognize the rival slates of pro-Trump electors, triggering a chain of events that ended with Trump winning. To Trump’s dismay, Pence didn’t go along. He wound up certifying Biden’s victory.

“The idea was to try to negate and nullify the Electoral College votes by getting the vice president to proclaim these new powers and then to exercise those powers by asserting that there was controversy and uncertainty at the state level and a disputed Electoral College situation,” Rep. Jamie Raskin, D.-Md., a member of the January 6 committee, told NBC News. “There was not.”

Even stalwart Trump supporters in Congress were leery of relying on alternate electors whose candidate — Trump — didn’t actually win.

In a series of text messages published Friday by CNN, Sen. Mike Lee, R., Utah, wrote to White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows three days before the insurrection: “I’d love to be proven wrong about my concerns. But I really think this could all backfire badly unless we have legislatures submitting [T]rump slates (based on a conclusion this was the proper result under states law).” The committee did not comment on the text messages. Lee Lonsberry, a spokesman for Lee said: "The text messages tell the same story Sen. Lee told from the floor of the Senate the day he voted to certify the election results of each and every state in the nation."

Both the Jan. 6 committee and the Justice Department are examining how these slates of Trump electors came into being. On Thursday, the committee heard eight hours of testimony from Stephen Miller, a top Trump White House adviser, who talked publicly about the alternate electors in December on the day they were gathering.

Miller’s appearance before the committee presumably gave members a chance to probe how the Trump forces believed Biden’s victory could be undone.

Committee aides have also flown to Arizona and spoken to Hobbs about other efforts to “change the results” in her state, she said. One of the two sets of pro-Trump alternate electors purporting to represent Arizona used the official state seal in the documents forwarded to Washington, giving them a patina of legitimacy.

“It’s important to understand how they essentially got recruited to do this,” Rep. Elaine Luria, D-Va., who serves on the Jan. 6 panel, said of the alternate electors. “Were they recruited? Were they pressured? … Where did the direction come from — to go out to the states, find these people, and get them to sign their names?”

State officials are also trying to get answers. Hector Balderas, the attorney general in New Mexico, said he is part of a task force investigating the alternate electors along with his counterparts in other states. Dana Nessel, the Michigan attorney general, told NBC News: “If we don’t hold people accountable there is literally nothing to stop them from doing this again, because there will have been no repercussions for it.”

(Republican officials, Trump allies, and attorneys for some of the electors have said that they were looking to ensure that Trump votes would be counted in case he was eventually deemed the winner in those states).

A danger is that more groups may come forward in the future and misrepresent themselves as the actual electors when in fact their candidate lost. There is no guarantee that a bogus set of electors would be thrown out in later elections. All of which suggests an urgent need to overhaul the Electoral Count Act, some lawmakers and former officials said.

'Shadow of the threat'
            Greg Jacob, former legal counsel to Pence, was with him in the Capitol on Jan. 6 when rioters stormed the building and called for the vice president to be hanged. He balked at the strategy Eastman laid out in his memo and traded heated messages with him when the Capitol was overrun, according to emails released by the committee in a court filing last month.

“Until the Electoral Count Act is brought into full conformity with the Framers’ design, every presidential election will take place in the shadow of the threat of possible attempts in the January 6 [congressional] joint session to reverse the outcome of the election,” Jacob told NBC News.

Donald Trump supporters storm the Capitol (Brent Stirton / Getty Images file)

Congress is trying to strengthen the law, though with little to show for its work. For much of the past year, Democratic lawmakers who control both houses focused instead on broader election reform aimed at expanding voting rights. That initiative collapsed. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer has at times portrayed the parallel effort to revise the Electoral Count Act as an unwanted distraction.

“There were a number of parties and nefarious actors back in 2020 that tried to weaponize the Electoral Count Act in ways that were deeply problematic,” Rep. Joe Neguse, D., Colo., who was a House prosecutor in Trump’s second impeachment trial, told NBC News. “It appears one component of that was this notion of fake electors being sent from the states, so I think it’s an area that we have to reform and we have very little time to do so.”

What seems most likely to pass, if anything, are a few fixes where there is a broad consensus. Congress may clarify that the vice president plays merely a ceremonial role when it’s time to count the electoral votes and cannot, as Trump argued, unilaterally reject the outcome in certain states. Lawmakers may also raise the threshold so that it takes more than a single member of the House and Senate to object to a state’s electoral votes and thus delay the formal certification of the incoming president’s victory.

One solution that election experts have proposed is giving the courts the final say if there’s any dispute about which slate of electors should be counted. That way, in an era of extreme partisanship, members of Congress and governors aren’t the ones settling disputes about who gets to be president.

“The most important question is how do we ensure there is no political actor in Congress or state government that can elevate those fake electors into something that might actually get counted,” said Matthew Seligman, a Yale Law School fellow who has been advising Congress on how best to revamp the Electoral Count Act, according to a Senate aide. “And, unfortunately, that’s exactly what the law permits.”

Whether the law gets changed in time for the next presidential election is by no means certain. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., is part of a bipartisan group of senators working to revamp the Electoral Count Act. “It’s not clear” that the negotiations will result in passage of a bill, she told NBC News. “First of all, the group that has been working has to come to some agreement. And then we have to get agreement from the leadership on both sides.”

“I do see it as a problem,” Shaheen said of the alternate electors. “Whether we can get agreement on how to address it remains to be seen.”

This is most likely way we'll see another presidential term for Donald Trump. Conservatives can't win at the polls so insurrection is the only way to go.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

58 percent of voters open to backing independent candidate if faced with Biden, Trump: poll
              Fifty-eight percent of voters said they were open to supporting a moderate, independent presidential candidate in a contest between President Biden and former President Trump, according to a new Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey released exclusively to The Hill on Monday.

Additionally, the survey found that majorities of voters said they do not want Biden or Trump to run in 2024.

Sixty-three percent of respondents said they did not want Biden to run for a second term, while only 37 percent said they did want him to run again in 2024. Meanwhile, 55 percent of respondents said they did not want Trump to run again in 2024. Forty-five percent said they thought the former president should run again.

“America wants to move forward not back and if they are faced with a Trump-Biden choice there will be an unprecedented opportunity for an independent candidate to run and win,” said Mark Penn, the co-director of the Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey. “I’ve never seen a number this high for an independent run.”

However, among their own bases, Trump and Biden are the top 2024 presidential picks. Thirty-seven percent of voters said that if the Democratic presidential primary for the 2024 election were held today they would vote for Biden, while 58 percent said they would vote for Trump if the GOP presidential primary were held today.

In a hypothetical match-up, 45 percent of respondents said they would vote for Trump, while 43 said they would vote for Biden.

Speculation has swirled around whether Biden, 79, and Trump, 75, will find themselves in a rematch in the next presidential election. Political watchers and voters have questioned both of their ages as well as their unpopularity among voters.

Trump, who is currently hitting the campaign trail for several GOP midterm candidates this year, has repeatedly floated a potential presidential run.

Last week, The Hill first reported that Biden told former President Obama that he plans to run again in 2024.

The Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey of 1,966 registered voters was conducted April 20 and April 21. It is a collaboration of the Center for American Political Studies at Harvard University and the Harris Poll.

The survey is an online sample drawn from the Harris Panel and weighted to reflect known demographics. As a representative online sample, it does not report a probability confidence interval.

I know I certainly would...but this is just an exercise in imagination. There isn't an independent moderate that has the name recognition, the appeal, the infrastructure and the funding to pry straight-ticket voters away from their respective parties. You're either on one side or the other and if you're not, you'll be forcibly assigned to one side of the other, whether you like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

I know I certainly would...but this is just an exercise in imagination. There isn't an independent moderate that has the name recognition, the appeal, the infrastructure and the funding to pry straight-ticket voters away from their respective parties. You're either on one side or the other and if you're not, you'll be forcibly assigned to one side of the other, whether you like it or not.
                And if you get in you are crippled from the GO because you have no natural allies in Congress. And John Anderson hurt Jimmy Carter just as Ross Perot hurt George Bush just as Ralph Nader hurt Al Gore.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Trump predicts it would be a ‘hard’ race for Pence should the former vice president make a bid for 2024

Former President Trump appeared to cast doubt on former Vice President Mike Pence’s viability as a 2024 presidential contender, saying in a new interview that it would be a “hard” election for Pence should he choose to run.

During an interview with CBN News published Wednesday, the Christian news outlet asked Trump about Pence’s chances at the presidency should the former vice president choose to run.

“I don’t want to say,” Trump responded. “If Mike got in, I think it would be a hard one for him. I think it would be a hard one. I understand where the base is. I love the base. The base loves me. I think it would be hard, but Mike was a good guy. I thought he was a very good vice president. He was my friend.”

Asked about his relationship with the former vice president, Trump responded that he had not spoken to him in months.

“Honestly, I haven’t spoken to Mike in a long time,” the former president said, later adding, “A long time is four or five months. I haven’t spoken to him in a long time. And he’s a nice man. He disappointed me on one thing because I think he should have sent the votes back to the legislatures. ”

Trump has not formally said whether he will be running for reelection in 2024, an announcement that will likely come after the November midterms.

The events surrounding the aftermath of the 2020 election and the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot showed fault lines in the relationship between the two men after Pence refused efforts to toss out the 2020 presidential election results as Trump and his allies baselessly claimed widespread fraud had occurred.

In an interview with the Washington Examiner in March, the former president signaled that Pence would not be his running mate for 2024.
                  _________

Comment

Trump sees 'vengeance' on the political horizon

During a closed-door speech Monday to the National Republican Congressional Committee, former President Donald Trump told the invited guests that “we” are coming back with “vengeance” in an apparent reference to his as-yet-unannounced decision to seek a return to power in 2024.

Given that Trump has resumed holding rallies nationwide, continues to dominate Republican primary polling and has, since losing to Joe Biden in 2020, repeatedly hinted that he plans to mount another White House bid, it’s not exactly a closely guarded secret that he wants his old job back. Equally unsurprising is the promise that a second Trump term would hold its share of political payback.

Trump, after all, has repeatedly spoken over the years about how exacting revenge is a guiding principle.

“If somebody hits you, you’ve got to hit ’em back five times harder than they ever thought possible. You’ve got to get even. Get even,” Trump said in a 2012 speech.

Seven years later, former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon remarked that if the then president won reelection in 2020, “You’re going to get pure Trump off the chain. Four years of Donald Trump in payback mode.”

In further anticipation of a second Trump term, Bannon this week went after former Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who had detailed numerous instances of what he saw as Trump's faulty judgment in a new book.

“When we come to power, don’t think you're going to be skipping away from this,” Bannon said of Esper.

Former White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham warned in October that a Trump victory in 2024 would usher in four years of reprisals.

“He’s clearly the frontrunner in the Republican Party,” Grisham said in an interview with ABC’s "Good Morning America."

“Everybody’s showing their fealty to him. He’s on his revenge tour, for people who dared to vote for impeachment. And I want to just warn people that once he takes office if he were to win, he doesn’t have to worry about reelection any more. He will be about revenge, he will probably have some pretty draconian policies.”

Rep. Tom Rice of South Carolina was one of 10 House Republicans who voted in 2021 to impeach Trump for "incitement of insurrection" for his role in the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol that year. That vote, Rice knows, effectively painted a target on his back because Trump is "driven by revenge."

“He is, of anybody I’ve ever met, he’s probably the most spiteful, vengeful person I’ve ever met,” Rice said in an April interview with “Meet the Press.”

Of the Republicans who voted to impeach Trump, just six, including Rice, are seeking reelection. The former president has endorsed GOP challengers in each race.

Trump’s “revenge tour,” as Grisham has put it, also takes aim at those who refused to go along with his false contention that the 2020 election was fraudulent.

On Wednesday, Trump issued a statement criticizing Republicans who still supported the reelection of Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp. Trump wants Kemp defeated over the governor’s refusal in December 2020 to block the certification of the vote in Georgia and hand Trump the swing state's electoral votes.

“Today, the worst ‘election integrity’ Governor in the country, Brian Kemp, loaded the great state of Georgia up with RINOs. That’s right, he had them all. Chris Christie, Doug Ducey from Arizona, and Pete Rickets from Nebraska,” Trump said in a statement, adding that the grouping represented “just a continuation of bad elections and a real RINO if you vote for Brian Kemp.”

While most Republicans who may have to again work with Trump should he win in 2024 are careful not to publicly criticize Trump out of fears of retribution, Christie didn’t hesitate to return fire.

“Insightful commentary about three Republican Governors who were overwhelmingly reelected by their people from a former President who lost to Joe Biden. Maybe the ‘R’ in RINO really stands for re-elected,” he tweeted Wednesday.

Yet, according to polls on a hypothetical rematch between Trump and Biden, the 45th president appears to have a good chance at becoming the 47th.

For former Republican Party Chairman Michael Steele, if those polls are right, Trump’s effort to weed out dissent from the GOP regarding the false claim that election fraud cost him the 2020 election will extend beyond members of Congress.

“His four years would be consumed with validating his lie,” Steele told the New Republic. “His four years would be consumed with retribution against those who, in his view, wronged him, and [he] would then corrupt the instruments of power in Washington, from Congress — because he’d have a compliant, complicit House and Senate Republicans who would do every bidding that he put in front of them — and then corrupt the various institutions that would be required to execute his revenge, which would include the Department of Justice, etc.”

In January, the former president offered yet another possible preview of how he’d settle scores if he wins reelection: pardoning those convicted for crimes committed on Jan. 6, 2021, when his supporters attempted to block the congressional certification of the Electoral College vote.

“If I run and I win, we will treat those people from January 6 fairly,” he said at a campaign rally in Conroe, Texas. “And if it requires pardons, we will give them pardons because they are being treated so unfairly.”

On Dec. 15, 2020, immediately after the Electoral College count confirmed Biden’s victory over Trump, former Attorney General William Barr tendered his resignation to the then president. The schism followed disagreements about whether the election had been marred by fraud and whether Justice Department could intervene to overturn the results.

“I told him that all this stuff was bulls*** about election fraud,” Barr told NBC News.

In his memoir, “One Damn Thing After Another,” Barr has since offered his own take about what ultimately guides the former president.

“That Trump, of all people, should consider himself an arbiter of ideological purity — a man whose political allegiances oscillated randomly for decades — is comical,” Barr wrote. “In reality, he has no concern with ideology or political principle. His motive is revenge, and it is entirely personal.”
                    ______

Comment

I want Sanna Marin, the PM of Finland to run as an Independant candidate for the US Presidency. Policies? who cares?
                      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

I am not too confident this time, but I still think the American people or just enough of them will reject Trump if he runs again in 2024.

Other than that the outlook is gloomy for the Democrats, the House and Senate will probably go Republican with a large margin, perhaps for a decade if not longer. Regretfully it appears the a large number, perhaps even most American conservatives have embraced the right wing Illiberalism of Victor Orban as opposed to the liberal conservatism from Reagan to Romney. That is fighting dirty; as Trump does best, gerrymandering to the extreme to stack the deck in their favor, stacking the courts with partisan judges. Perhaps in the future tipping narrow elections they have lost to victories using litigation and other means in state legislatures and the Congress.
                        Last edited by InExile; 13 May 22,, 05:24.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          Trump sees 'vengeance' on the political horizon

During a closed-door speech Monday to the National Republican Congressional Committee, former President Donald Trump told the invited guests that “we” are coming back with “vengeance” in an apparent reference to his as-yet-unannounced decision to seek a return to power in 2024......
                          He may also be trying to make a comeback out of simple fear. Getting elected again guarantees him immunity from prosecution (at least that's how he'll play it) and buys four more years in which to try and make as many of the ongoing criminal investigations, grand juries and committees of inquiry into his past conduct 'go away'.
                          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                            He may also be trying to make a comeback out of simple fear. Getting elected again guarantees him immunity from prosecution (at least that's how he'll play it) and buys four more years in which to try and make as many of the ongoing criminal investigations, grand juries and committees of inquiry into his past conduct 'go away'.
                            That's exactly what it is. It's running out the clock to avoid prosecution or even mere investigation. And, as seems likely, the GQP wins the House and the Senate, Congress will stand in front of him like a stone wall, ensuring that no investigations of any time take place (again). Trump's apologists will then trumpet the lack of investigations as "proof" of Trump's innocence (again)

He didn't want to be President the first time out of any desire to lead or govern. He never expected or likely even wanted to win.
                            It was an ego-driven grift supported by gullible poorly educated idiots enamored with his racist and misogynist "policies".

This time it's about immunity from the law and vengeance. And of course whatever additional grifting he can accomplish along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by InExile View Post
                              I am not too confident this time, but I still think the American people or just enough of them will reject Trump if he runs again in 2024.
                              I'm not so confident. What the Electoral College doesn't accomplish, the voter suppression, gerrymandering and pervasive right-wing election fraud absolutely will accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post

No, he wants more than that if you knew the man. He will want payback as in crushing those who didn't like him. See everything boils down to whether you like him or not going way back through high school. If he were a Don you would find yourself dead but he isn't but I know he wishes. Another four years of him would set this country back a couple of decades in damage to repair. In the meantime the world will become a more different place a more dangerous place if you will. You might find yourself facing off in that time against a much bigger foe in China all by yourself. Of this I have no doubts. He can easily screw up this country simply by putting duplicitous hanger on's in all the Departments from State, to Defense, to Interior unlike last time and Congress would approve.

If we get screwed the whole world gets screwed except a few I know you could figure out.

Comment

Working...
                                X