2021 Trump-Incited Insurrection at Capitol Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Oath Keepers member pleads guilty to Jan. 6 Capitol riot charges

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A former U.S. Marine from Florida on Wednesday became the latest defendant associated with the Oath Keepers militia group to plead guilty to criminal charges related to the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol riot.

Jason Dolan, 45, of Wellington, Florida, pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy and obstructing an official proceeding. U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta said that under federal sentencing guidelines, Dolan faced a prison term of between 63 and 78 months, though the court could deviate from the guidelines.

Mehta said Dolan had already provided "substantial assistance" to investigators and would be available to provide grand jury and trial testimony and to be interviewed by investigators.

The U.S. Attorney's office in Washington D.C. said that as of Wednesday, more than 600 defendants had been arrested on riot-related charges.

The riot by supporters of then-President Donald Trump broke out as Congress met to certify Joe Biden's November presidential election victory. Earlier, Trump gave a fiery speech falsely claiming his defeat was the result of fraud.

Public records indicate that four other defendants linked to the Oath Keepers previously pleaded guilty to Jan. 6 riot charges. Prosecutors said that over 50 defendants have pleaded guilty to federal charges connected to the Capitol riot and that many "will face incarceration at sentencing."

While at least 40 riot-related guilty pleas were to misdemeanor charges, nine defendants have pleaded guilty to felonies, prosecutors said.

An indictment laying out the criminal case against Dolan and 17 other Oath Keeper defendants alleges that on Jan. 6, Dolan pushed his way to the front of the crowd on the Capitol's east steps and grabbed the arm of a police officer who pushed him away.

Half an hour later, the indictment says, Dolan joined a "stack" of Oath Keepers maneuvering its way up the Capitol steps which "forcibly entered the Capitol." Eventually they entered the Capitol's Rotunda.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Amid high security, small pro-Trump crowd rallies at U.S. Capitol

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Police vastly outnumbered protesters around the U.S. Capitol on Saturday at a sparsely attended rally by supporters of the people who breached the building on Jan. 6, trying to overturn former President Donald Trump's election defeat.

About 100 to 200 protesters showed up, some carrying the flags of the right-wing group Three Percenters over their shoulders. It was far fewer than the 700 people organizers had expected and the thousands who brought mayhem to the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Hundreds of officers patrolled the Capitol grounds and a black eight-foot-high (2.44 m) fence which surrounded the white-domed building for about six months after the attack was reinstalled in anticipation of the event. One hundred National Guard troops were on standby.

As part of an effort by some of Trump's far-right supporters to rewrite the history of the deadly mob assault on the Capitol that was captured in graphic video, speaker after speaker insisted that hundreds of rioters arrested that day were "political prisoners."

Prosecutors and legal experts say the cases are being handled properly.

"This is about justice and disparate treatment," said Matt Braynard, a rally organizer and supporter of Trump's false claims that his defeat was the result of widespread fraud.

While crowds were small, passions rose at times, with sporadic yelling matches breaking out between participants in the rally and counter-demonstrators. Police on bicycles moved in to break up some of these squabbles.

A group of police in riot gear removed one man from the crowd who had a large knife strapped to his hip.

Organizers of the "Justice for J6" rally called for a peaceful event, but U.S. Capitol Police Chief J. Thomas Manger told reporters on Friday there had been threats of violence linked to the rally, some targeting individual members of Congress, and police were bracing to prevent clashes between Trump supporters and opponents.

Tony Smith, 40, of Upper Marlboro, Maryland, said he had come to voice his support for a fair judicial process for those charged in the breach of the Capitol.

"If we don't honor that we don't honor America," said Smith, who was carrying a poster board that said "We Want Trump!"

HUNDREDS CHARGED IN JAN. 6 RIOT

More than 600 people have been charged with taking part in the Jan. 6 violence, which followed a speech by Trump at a nearby rally reiterating his false claims that his election loss was the result of widespread fraud. Those claims have been rejected by multiple courts, state election officials and members of Trump's own administration.

Rioters that day battled police, beating them with sticks and metal barricades, smashed their way through windows into the Capitol building and ran through the halls, sending lawmakers and then-Vice President Mike Pence running for safety.

Four people died on Jan. 6, one fatally shot by police and three from medical emergencies. A Capitol Police officer who had been attacked by protesters died the day after and four police officers who took part in the defense of the Capitol later committed suicide.

Almost 50 people have so far pleaded guilty to charges related to the violence, nine admitting to committing felonies. The vast majority of defendants have been released awaiting trial but about 75 are still in custody, according to court documents.

Members of the right-wing groups the Proud Boys, Oath Keepers and Three Percenters are among those charged with storming the building.

"Let them go, let them go," the crowd occasionally chanted.

But Eric Lamar, 64, a retired firefighter in Washington, D.C., said he came to the Capitol to counter "false narratives" from Trump supporters about Jan. 6.

"It breaks my heart," Lamar said after hearing another retired firefighter claim that the riot was a "false flag," a conspiracy theory wrongly claiming that the event was staged. "There is no question that what happened on Jan. 6 is the work of supporters of Donald Trump who decided falsely and without evidence that the election was stolen."

Unlike on Jan. 6, when Congress was in session to certify Biden's election, the Capitol was largely empty on Saturday, with most members out of town.

No members of Congress attended Saturday's rally, though two Republican congressional candidates addressed the group.

Authorities, who had made clear they were much better prepared after being caught without enough forces to deploy quickly in January, took no chances.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin put 100 National Guard troops on standby to help police on Saturday if needed.

National Guard troops were stationed in and around the Capitol from early January through late May, with as many as 5,200 troops in place at the mission's peak.

Contingency planning. Something that didn't happen on January 6th.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	fed.jfif
Views:	109
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	1576558

In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          FED
          If I'm reading your meme correctly, these are supposedly all "feds"? And....? Do you have a point?

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

If I'm reading your meme correctly, these are supposedly all "feds"? And....? Do you have a point?
            It's called humour.

Leibniz

Comment

It's called humour.
              Oh! Yes, very ah...."humorous", I guess. Shouldn't humour have some sort of "ending" though?

Comment

Oh! Yes, very ah...."humorous", I guess. Shouldn't humour have some sort of "ending" though?
                That there were more Feds there than protestors?

Leibniz

Comment

That there were more Feds there than protestors?
                  Oh! Heh, good one!

Comment

Oh! Heh, good one!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	meme.jfif
Views:	111
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1576614

Leibniz

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	meme.jfif
Views:	111
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1576614
                      Pari,

Just where the hell do you get off as a New Zealander making fun of the President of the United States?

You are a New Zealander...I don't recall anyone here making fun of your PM or government ministers?

This is internal politics.

Have all the opinions you want but don't insult our President or other government officials.

If I did that to President Trump, who I disagreed with on policies deeply, well, I am an American. I have the right to have opinion on world leaders but not to openly insult them.
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Pari,

Just where the hell do you get off as a New Zealander making fun of the President of the United States?

You are a New Zealander...I don't recall anyone here making fun of your PM or government ministers?

Have all the opinions you want but don't insult our President or other government officials.

If I did that to President Trump, who I disagreed with on policies deeply, well, I am an American. I have the right to have opinion on world leaders but not to openly insult them.
                        I'm with you on this...

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Pari,

About – Rochen
                          As I have explained myriad times in my previous iterations as moderator and Admin, this forum is hosted generously free of charge by a UK based web hosting company, and is titled "World Affairs" Board.

The fact that over the past 5 years it has been subsumed by a single left-wing faction of Americans to the detriment of both other American and international political thought is neither here nor there.

You in fact have the right to openly insult any public figure from anywhere in the world whether you choose to or not, as does any member of this forum and every media outlet across the globe.

Media wise, American Democrats are not a protected species beyond ridicule, just as the predecessor American administrations and leaders such as Trump, Obama, Bush and Clinton et al.
                          It may surprise you to know that many millions of your fellow citizens hold Biden in even greater contempt than the simple meme which I posted. I can post the written on-line media opinion pieces from mainstream media both from the US and internationally for you, should you so wish to see the evidence.

In such time as you choose in concert with the other moderators/admins of this forum to place a rule within the forum guidelines specifically banning criticism and ridicule of public figures unless they are a citizen of the country to which that public figure is also a citizen, or simply a rule protecting US Democrats, let me and the other members know.

As always, I will at least attempt to abide by whatever posted rule you should choose to add to the guidelines.

Leibniz

Comment

• Fallen Capitol Officer's Partner Calls Trump's Defense of Jan. 6 Rioters 'Despicable'

The longtime partner of late Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, who died after responding to the Jan 6 riots, lambasted former President Donald Trump for his recent defense of the rioters, calling it "despicable."

Sandra Garza, Brian's partner of 11 years, made the comments on CNN on Sunday after she was asked about a statement Trump made late last week.

In the statement released Thursday, Trump had said: "Our hearts and minds are with the people being persecuted so unfairly relating to the January 6th protest concerning the Rigged Presidential Election ... JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL!"

"When I heard that, I was enraged," Garza told CNN of Trump's statement. "He knows that's an outright lie, that the election was not rigged — that's number one. He is asking for violence again by doing that. And to say that these people that stormed the Capitol are persecuted is absolutely ridiculous."

Garza continued: "Those people made a choice to be there. Some of those people made a choice to engage in sadistic violence and hurt officers brutally – so much so that some of these officers will be impacted for the rest of their lives with traumatic brain injuries, other physical injuries ... For [Trump] to say that his hearts and minds — or, our hearts and minds are with these people — this violent mob — is just despicable. It's despicable. Where was his heart and mind when my partner, Brian Sicknick, was dead?"

Garza added that she has not heard from the former president since her husband died after the rioting — which was a factor in his death, officials have said.

"I had said that I would be willing to meet with him. And my offer still stands, because I want answers," Garza said Sunday. "The Sicknick family deserves answers. I said he was too chicken. I still stand by that."

Sicknick was among the officers who responded to the breach of the Capitol in January, which occurred after thousands of Trump supporters gathered to hear the former president deliver an angry speech outside the White House, amid his baseless claims that election fraud resulted in his 2020 loss to now-President Joe Biden.

Sicknick, 42, died at 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 7, Capitol Police said in a statement at the time.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in April determined that his cause of death was "acute brainstem and cerebellar infarcts due to acute basilar artery thrombosis," and ruled that his manner of death was "natural."

Medical examiner Francisco J. Diaz explained to The Washington Post that Sicknick suffered two strokes that had been caused by a blood clot. Diaz added that "all that transpired" on the day of the insurrection "played a role in his condition."

During his speech the day of the riots, Trump told his supporters to "march" and "fight like hell" as Congress was meeting to certify the votes of the Electoral College inside the building.

A mob of Trump supporters did storm the Capitol, breaching security barriers, overtaking law enforcement (some of whom were severely beaten) and forcing the evacuations of lawmakers including Trump's own vice president.

Five people, including Sicknick, died.

Garza — along with Sicknick's mom, Gladys — were seen on Capitol Hill in May, requesting meetings with every Republican senator to urge them to vote in favor of a commission to investigate what led to the Capitol attack.

In a statement sent to lawmakers at the time, Gladys argued that not looking into it would be "a slap in the faces of all the officers who did their jobs that day."

Though lawmakers on both sides of the aisle were quick to slam the January riot in its immediate aftermath, some have since downplayed the significance of the insurrection. Others, like Trump, have defended those who stormed the building in a violent scene.

Last weekend, a far-right rally billed as a protest of the criminal cases of those who stormed the building in January was held on the west lawn of the Capitol.

In stirring testimony delivered on day during a July House Committee hearing on the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, a group of the officers on guard that day detailed their experiences, calling on lawmakers to further investigate what led to the deadly events.

Capitol Police Sgt. Harry Dunn argued that both the rioters and those who sent them should be punished, saying, "If a hitman is hired and he kills somebody, the hitman goes to jail. But not only does the hitman go to jail, but the person who hired them does."

Dunn continued: "There was an attack carried out on Jan. 6th and a hitman sent them. I want you to get to the bottom of that."

______

I'll say it until the day I die: The only thing worse than Donald Trump are his followers, defenders and apologists. They can all fornicate themselves with an iron rod.

Comment

About – Rochen
                              As I have explained myriad times in my previous iterations as moderator and Admin, this forum is hosted generously free of charge by a UK based web hosting company, and is titled "World Affairs" Board.

The fact that over the past 5 years it has been subsumed by a single left-wing faction of Americans to the detriment of both other American and international political thought is neither here nor there.

You in fact have the right to openly insult any public figure from anywhere in the world whether you choose to or not, as does any member of this forum and every media outlet across the globe.

Media wise, American Democrats are not a protected species beyond ridicule, just as the predecessor American administrations and leaders such as Trump, Obama, Bush and Clinton et al.
                              It may surprise you to know that many millions of your fellow citizens hold Biden in even greater contempt than the simple meme which I posted. I can post the written on-line media opinion pieces from mainstream media both from the US and internationally for you, should you so wish to see the evidence.

In such time as you choose in concert with the other moderators/admins of this forum to place a rule within the forum guidelines specifically banning criticism and ridicule of public figures unless they are a citizen of the country to which that public figure is also a citizen, or simply a rule protecting US Democrats, let me and the other members know.

As always, I will at least attempt to abide by whatever posted rule you should choose to add to the guidelines.
                              Never talked terms of service in my points I raised. I was referring to someone who is not an American citizen insulting our President. If I posted crap like that I about Merkle, Johnson, Xi, and go on, and a citizen of that Nation felt it was improper, then I expected to be called out on it and refrain

I well know how many Americans feel about President Trump & President Biden. But they are Americans and can say that.

You are not an American. Of course you have the right to post and say whatever you want here IAW the WAB rules. But don't expect to get a free pass as a non-citizen insulting our public officials.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Nope.
                                Don't agree with that at all.
                                Being an American, I expect both citizens and non-citizens to disrespect my country, my flag, and my leaders.
                                It comes with the territory: being the biggest bad-ass in town.
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X