2021 Trump-Incited Insurrection at Capitol Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    You believe that money laundering should be punishable by death?
    If you're laundering money for Al Capone, doesn't bother me none. Unconstitutional per our current laws, but that's not the same as an iron law of the universe.

Applying a capital penalty requires the state to ask for it and a jury to confirm it, it's not the same as a mandatory minimum sentence.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
      If you're laundering money for Al Capone, doesn't bother me none. Unconstitutional per our current laws, but that's not the same as an iron law of the universe.

Applying a capital penalty requires the state to ask for it and a jury to confirm it, it's not the same as a mandatory minimum sentence.
      That...doesn't really answer the question. Do you believe that money laundering should be punishable by death?

You said that but Hunter's offenses, in your book, are essentially capital crimes. A possible outcome of a guilty verdict for a capital crimes is death. I'm trying to confirm that you're ok with people being executed for money laundering.
      Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

• Here’s What to Expect from the Republicans on the Jan. 6 Committee

Kevin McCarthy met with Trump before announcing his appointees.

Freshman Rep. Troy Nehls (R.-Tx., in the blue shirt) joins Capitol Police officers in barricading the doors to the House chamber during the January 6 mob attack on the Capitol. He has been named a member of the House committee investigating the events of that day. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

After a pilgrimage to Bedminster to get the blessing of the GOP’s Apricot Archbishop, House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy announced yesterday that he would after all appoint Republican members to Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection.

McCarthy had vacillated for weeks on the decision. Politico reported that he considered “naming more experienced members to the probe, filling his seats with firebrands, and refusing to tap any members at all.”

In the end the invertebrate House minority leader took the most low-risk path he could, appointing a pair of firebrands named Jim to please Daddy T and filling the other committee seats with lesser-known members, including one in his first term. Among McCarthy’s picks there are two more appointees named Jim than there are women or people of color. Take a look.

McCarthy reportedly had some difficulty finding Republican representatives willing to participate in the committee—but Jim Jordan was undoubtedly eager to join. Everyone knows what to expect from Jordan, the sweaty, jacketless, former wrestling coach who worked alongside a serial sexual assaulter while simultaneously not ever seeming to notice and allegedly telling one of his wrestlers he should help cover it up. Given this expertise, Trump surely wanted Jordan on the committee.

The committee’s ranking member will be Jim “Numero Dos” Banks. He is an election truther who polled his constituents on whether or not he should cancel the votes of citizens from other states. The new chairman of the House Republican Study Committee, he was among the members of Congress who joined Donald Trump in visiting the U.S.-Mexico border last month. Banks’s communications director is Buckley Carlson, son of Tucker, ensuring that the White Power Hour will have a direct line to leaks from the committee.

Troy Nehls, a former sheriff and freshman congressman from southeastern Texas, voted to overturn the election like Banks and Jordan. He expressed anger at the Jan. 6 insurrectionists in a Facebook post and helped barricade the doors of the House chamber to protect his colleagues. But he wasn’t so upset that he backtracked when it came to rejecting the election results. Like Jordan and Banks, Nehls received an F from the Republican Accountability Project, having voted against any effort to investigate or hold the insurrectionists accountable before this appointment.

The potentially interesting selections are Armstrong and Davis. Unlike Jordan, Banks, and Nehls, neither Armstrong nor Davis joined in the Jan. 6 votes objecting to the Electoral College results.

Kelly Armstrong, North Dakota’s member at large, is in only his second term in the House. On January 20 he conspicuously tweeted congratulating President Biden and Harris (it is truly shocking that we live in a world where this is conspicuous, but here we are). He voted against Trump’s second impeachment and against the creation of an independent January 6 commission, but he did say the riot was a “tragedy” and suggested that members “go back and talk some hard truths to your people. I’m going to do it.”

Rodney Davis has gone even further. The congressman has future political ambitions and has been floated as a candidate for governor of Illinois. His southern Illinois district spreads from Champaign, home to the University of Illinois, through rural areas toward very exurban St. Louis. One of just 35 House Republicans who voted in favor of a bipartisan commission, Davis has said that Jan. 6 was “one of the worst days this great country has ever seen.”

In voting against the second impeachment of Trump, Davis said, “There must be accountability for leaders who deliberately misled the public but I fear that without thoughtful and clear-eyed leadership from both sides of the aisle, we are in danger of further violence and political unrest. There must be a full accounting of what happened leading up to and on the day of January 6th.”

Both Armstrong and Davis will now have the opportunity to live up to their rhetoric. When the committee starts holding hearings later this month, will they tell “hard truths” to their people? Will they ensure there is accountability for those who “deliberately misled the public,” a category that includes their fellow committee members? Since the slow-motion clownish coup commenced, we have seen a small smattering of Republicans—such as Liz Cheney, whom Pelosi put on the committee—step up and do the right thing. For Armstrong and Davis, this will be their opportunity. They will be the members to watch.

But since Donald’s Kevin appointed them, I’m not holding my breath.
        Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

there are two more appointees named Jim than there are women or people of color. Take a look.

ensuring that the White Power Hour will have a direct line to leaks from the committee.
          And you wonder why we think you're left wing
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post

And you wonder why we think you're left wing
            I posted an op-ed from The Bulwark, a center-right website, and didn't highlight the passages you quoted...but you still think that makes me left wing.

What I actually wonder about is how in the world you managed to jam your head so far up your ass...

Comment

I posted an op-ed from The Bulwark, a center-right website,
              If you say so
              and didn't highlight the passages you quoted...
              These are some of the standard go-to left-wing smears directed at the right/conservatives

there are two more appointees named Jim than there are women or people of color. Take a look.

ensuring that the White Power Hour will have a direct line to leaks from the committee.

Such content within the OP are a direct declaration by the author of political beliefs, as such it's irrelevant what the platform is. I can find leftist articles in right wing sites and conservative articles in left wing platforms. So....
              but you still think that makes me left wing.
              yes.

What I actually wonder about is how in the world you managed to jam your head so far up your ass...
              You're welcome.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• just for context, the author of the piece in question was communications director for Jeb Bush in 2016 and previously spokesman for the Republican National Committee.

so yes, I'm sure the author is left-wing.../rolleyes
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post

One doesn't have to be left wing to observe that Republicans sometimes pander or dog whistle to the alt right fringe. Nor that Tucker Carlson has been skirting dangerously close to the line to outright white nationalism.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    just for context, the author of the piece in question was communications director for Jeb Bush in 2016 and previously spokesman for the Republican National Committee.

so yes, I'm sure the author is left-wing.../rolleyes
                    Yeah but he's speaking out against the Dear Leader AND saying something that is less than full-on white nationalist.

That automatically makes him a Communist.

Comment

• New audio of Trump on Jan. 6 insurrectionists: 'What I wanted is what they wanted'

Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker, authors of the new book I Alone Can Fix It, chronicling former President Trump’s tumultuous last year in office, joined Anderson Cooper 360 on Wednesday, where they shared exclusive audio from an interview with Trump for the book. In the audio, which was chock full of rehashed falsehoods and conspiracies, Trump revealed that he and the Jan. 6 insurrectionists at the Capitol shared a common goal.

“I wanted — I mean, personally, what I wanted is what they wanted,” Trump said. “They showed up just to show support, because I happen to believe the election was rigged at a level like nothing has ever been rigged before.”

Trump went on to once again lament the fact that former Vice President Mike Pence didn’t personally overturn the election the day of the insurrection, a power that a vice president does not have under the Constitution.

“I think that the vice president of the United States must protect the Constitution of the United States, right?” Trump said. “And it says very, very clearly, protect the Constitution of the United States. I don’t believe he’s just supposed to be a statue who gets these votes from the states and immediately hands them over.”

If he were to run again in 2024, Trump was asked if he would choose Pence again as a running mate. After first saying that he’d be making that decision at some point, Trump went on to say, “I’m not locked into anything.” Asked what if Pence decides to run against Trump in a hypothetical primary, Trump responded, “Everybody, it’s a free country, right? It’s a free country. I always liked Mike. I was very disappointed and so were a lot of Republicans, very disappointed.”

In the run-up to the election, Trump repeatedly said he had to fill the Supreme Court vacancy left after the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg before the election, because he believed the election would ultimately be decided by the court. Trump seemingly believed that having put three judges on the court, they would rule in his favor. But the Supreme Court refused to even hear any of Trump’s election challenges, and he revealed why he believes they made that decision.

“I’m very disappointed in the Supreme Court,” Trump said. “What do you think they were afraid of?” Leonnig asked. “I guess they thought that it would be violent, maybe,” Trump replied. “And it was violent the other way perhaps, I don't know. I guess they thought it would be violent.”

Straight from the orange horse's ass...It was an insurrection to overturn the results of a free and fair election.

Comment

• Tucker Carlson faces backlash after calling Black Capitol Police officer "angry left-wing political activist" activist

Fox News host Tucker Carlson is facing backlash after attacking a Black Capitol Police officer who said he was called the n-word while defending the Capitol during the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection.

Driving the news: Carlson on his show Wednesday called Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn an "angry left-wing political activist" who "has very little in common with your average cop."
                        • Dunn, a vocal advocate for a congressional investigation into the the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, previously told the Washington Post that Black officers endured additional attacks during the insurrection, saying he was called the n-word more than a dozen times.
                        What they're saying: "Tonight Fox News allowed its host Tucker Carlson, who has not served a day in uniform, whether military or law enforcement, to criticize the heroism and service of African-American U.S. Capitol Police Officer Harry Dunn," the officer's attorneys said in a statement late Wednesday.
                        • "Our client has served 13 years in law enforcement and on January 6, 2021, fought against an insurrectionist violent crowd — no doubt many of them Carlson's supporters — to protect the lives of our elected officials," the lawyers continued.
                        • "Frankly, the last thing Carlson wants is for the truth to emerge of what happened that day and why."
                        Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) in a tweet posted after Carlson's remarks thanked Dunn and other officers who protect the Capitol.
                        • "He put his body between lawmakers and an armed mob," Swalwell said.
                        • Fox News did not immediately respond to Axios' request for comment.
                        The big picture: Dunn is expected to testify before the House select committee examining the Capitol attack on July 27.
                        • Efforts to form a bipartisan committee fell apart on Wednesday after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi rejected Reps. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Jim Banks (R-Ind.) as two of the five Republican appointments over past statements that "make it impossible for them to exercise judgement."
                        • House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy responded by threatening to pull the five Republicans off the committee and instead pursue his own investigation.

Yeah, lot of that head-up-their-ass bullshit going on...

Comment

• Wait you quote Eric Bang the Fang Fang Swallwell and you wonder why we think you are a leftie.... Nothing says firm moral convictions like quoting a dude horizontally linked to the CCP.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            Wait you quote Eric Bang the Fang Fang Swallwell and you wonder why we think you are a leftie.... Nothing says firm moral convictions like quoting a dude horizontally linked to the CCP.
                            That would be the Congressional Representative that the Trumpet's Justice Department tried -- and failed -- to discredit, right?
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                              Wait you quote Eric Bang the Fang Fang Swallwell and you wonder why we think you are a leftie.... Nothing says firm moral convictions like quoting a dude horizontally linked to the CCP.
                              lol, and here we go again

I posted an article about Tucker Carlson pulling the pretty much the same bullshit that you and Iain are pulling. I posted it in its entirety. As it happens, someone who triggers the living shit out of you happened to be quoted by the author of the article, which you seemt to think is me. Yes yes, I know, Swalwell had the unmitigated gall to point out that "[Police officer Harry Dunn] put his body between lawmakers and an armed mob." Which is apparently a "leftie" statement to you. Or proof of "leftiness" to you. Which is yet further proof of how little you care about the attempted insurrection perpetrated by Donald Trump and his followers. Or, as I've been saying all along, some groups are more "equal" than others in your book.

Because let's face it: What you wanted was what those insurrectionists wanted, because you believe the election was rigged at a level like nothing has ever been rigged before. Don't you.

Comment

That...doesn't really answer the question. Do you believe that money laundering should be punishable by death?

You said that but Hunter's offenses, in your book, are essentially capital crimes. A possible outcome of a guilty verdict for a capital crimes is death. I'm trying to confirm that you're ok with people being executed for money laundering.
                                If the state thinks it bad enough and a jury agrees, yeah, hang those fuckers!
                                "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Working...
                                X