No announcement yet.

2021 American Political Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Is Finding It Hard To Let Go of Twitter as More Platforms Begin Cracking Down on Incitements To Violence

The long-awaited and long-overdue day when Donald Trump is kicked off of Twitter came on Friday evening, but the president’s addiction to the site would not let him go quietly into that tweetless night.

Following Twitter’s suspension of the @realdonaldtrump profile for its role in inciting the violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on January 6th (not to mention countless other incidents of white supremacist violence since the president took office and gained a wider platform for his tweets, but I digress), Trump hopped on the official @POTUS account—which he has mostly eschewed in favor of his personal profile during his tenure in office—to complain about the ban.

“As I have been saying for a long time, Twitter has gone further and further in banning free speech, and tonight, Twitter employees have coordinated with the Democrats and the Radical Left in removing my account from their platform, to silence me — and YOU, the 75,000,000 great patriots who voted for me,” Trump tweeted.

“We have been negotiating with various other sites and will have a big announcement soon, while we also look at building out our own platform in the future,” he continued. “We will not be SILENCED!”

Unfortunately for Trump, as a private company Twitter has the full right and capability to silence him on their platform—which is exactly what they did. After he not so cleverly tried to evade his suspension by tweeting from the official presidential account, Twitter deleted those messages too.

“As stated in our ban evasion policy, if it is clear that another account is being used for the purposes of evading a ban, it is also subject to suspension,” a spokesperson told The Hill. “For government accounts, such as @POTUS and @WhiteHouse, we will not suspend those accounts but will take action to limit their use.”

It appears Trump also tried to get his tweet fix through other accounts connected to his campaign, including @TeamTrump and his digital director’s Twitter page—both of which were also quickly suspended. Earlier in the week, Facebook booted the president from their site as well.

Trump is going out sad and so, as expected, the conservative tears are many in response. Megyn Kelly, Ben Carson, Nikki Haley, and Lindsey Graham (who has his own troubles to be concerned about) have all come out to complain about the devastating precedent of Twitter, a private company, blocking a profligate liar and fire starter from starting more fires on their website.

They can get over it, or they can head over to Parler–the preferred platform for extremists who want to push violence in peace. Except Parler may not be long for the mainstream online world either. Axios reports that Google pulled the app from its Play store on Friday because it continues to host posts about inciting further violence in D.C., and Apple has issued a similar threat to the app for imminent removal if it doesn’t clean up its act.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say these extremists and their enablers in elected office aren’t going to stop their IRL violence, but I’m enjoying watching them flail and whine about not having the right to plot freely online too.
    ______
    Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

or some moron is going to have the bright idea to power-share with Trumpistas again
      I find this comment interesting considering that you have spent the past few years justifying, quite eloquently, centre right Americans voting for Trump whether for the sake of policy issues or keeping the left at bay.

Comment

• Originally posted by InExile View Post

I find this comment interesting considering that you have spent the past few years justifying, quite eloquently, centre right Americans voting for Trump whether for the sake of policy issues or keeping the left at bay.
        Yeah I'm wondering about that myself....
        Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

• Originally posted by InExile View Post

That's because the left is insane and rapidly radicalizing, and it is ceasing to be "the left" and becoming "ruling ideology." Wanting to remove Trump is not an endorsement of Democrats, in particular Kamala Harris, who is 1 heartbeat away from the Oval.

Trump himself is not a serious threat and never was a serious threat. He winked at a mob and it delayed a vote count for a few hours. In return, his legislative support promptly vanished, Pence effectively 25'd him, he lost his messaging abilities on social media, and he might even face criminal charges as soon as he leaves office. Don't let the House GOP or Hawley fool you: they just want his votes and think they can keep sticking their head in the lion's mouth without getting it bitten off. If it really came down to it, both McCarthy and Hawley would throw under Trump under a bus.

My concern is that NOT acting against Trump creates a serious precedent for OTHER politicians and political groups. We already have too much political violence, and we don't need more.

Hindsight 20/20, I'd feel comfortable voting with Biden, because (D) does not have the votes to Court-pack. Though I still can't say I would, because I do not trust Harris in the slightest, and I already know for a fact that Trump's going to get stuffed the moment HE tries something radically stupid.
          Last edited by GVChamp; 10 Jan 21,, 01:31.
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Trump himself is not a serious threat and never was a serious threat. He winked at a mob and it delayed a vote count for a few hours.

My concern is that NOT acting against Trump creates a serious precedent for OTHER politicians and political groups. We already have too much political violence, and we don't need more.
            Those two sentences are not compatible. At all.

Comment

• Originally posted by statquo View Post

Honestly, I thought he would have a saving moment. That he would fight, disrupt, accuse, incite, divide, but when it came down to it, he would go out in front of the cameras and admit defeat, respect and accept the Constitution and leave. But in retrospect, that was wishful thinking because there's been countless, countless times in the past four years where I've expected him to do the obvious, easy, right thing, and he still screws it up.
              Yeah, as Top said too the man didn't want the job, and luckily got it, and performed in a way nobody would. It's embarrassing for me as an outsider to even think of it. I sometimes imagine myself in the shoes of Trump, and then I google the list of uninhabited islands in the Andaman's, where I can spend the rest of my days in shame without having to even face a mirror.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

That's because the left is insane and rapidly radicalizing, and it is ceasing to be "the left" and becoming "ruling ideology." Wanting to remove Trump is not an endorsement of Democrats, in particular Kamala Harris, who is 1 heartbeat away from the Oval.
                Sounds like a case of mind virus

Right now the GOP is the enemy of the United States. I'm not talking conservatism but the GOP as an entity. Where we ended up on Wednesday was by design. Design by the Republican Party. and I'm sure they are quietly thinking that their plan didn't work this time but will have to try again.

So keep on fearing the left but as I said the real enemy right now is the GOP where white, Christian men rule the map.
                Last edited by tbm3fan; 10 Jan 21,, 04:26.

Comment

• Originally posted by tantalus View Post
                  Ya I get this. What influence do you expert from bernie, AOC et al. ? Since the november elections set such low expectations, it is a huge relative improvement.
                  I expect they will try to push but they don't have the numbers in the House. If AOC thinks she can now start to move thing then she better come up with a hundred House members who side with her. We have one poster here very, very worried about the now radicalizing left. Never mind that as far as numbers are concerned there's are probably the smallest section of the country. Yet, it seems they have power way, way beyond their numbers. In the Senate Manchin is the man to work with and much will go through him in my opinion.

Can you help me understand why that would be a game changer?
                  As mentioned above Manchin the the vote the Democrats have to worry about. He is not for eliminating the filibuster so it isn't going anywhere. Now if the Dems can get those Senate numbers into the high 50s then they have room to legislate. Repubs have 22 seats up in 2022 while the Dems have 13 seats up.

I'm curious, given Manchin is from W. Virginia, is if any Republicans might quietly talk to him about switching parties.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    I'm curious, given Manchin is from W. Virginia, is if any Republicans might quietly talk to him about switching parties.
                    The Republican Party is pretty toxic at the moment. The defections will be going in the opposite direction for while.

Comment

• Can you help me understand why that would be a game changer?
                      Manchin has already said he is against blowing up the filibuster.

basically, Dems need a "cushion" of about 5-6 Senators and a "radicalizing" event to punch out the filibuster, given the institutional conservatism. McConnell has been the radicalizing factor since 2009, and if he continues to filibuster any and all even mildly left-leaning legislation, then all that is needed is the cushion.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Now if the Dems can get those Senate numbers into the high 50s then they have room to legislate
                        well, absent blowing up the filibuster, if they had those numbers they could -credibly threaten- to blow it up, and see if the GOP was willing to deal given such a threat.

even then, I doubt the GOP would, because their base would go -insane- at the thought of capitulating to the Democrats.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

The Republican Party is pretty toxic at the moment. The defections will be going in the opposite direction for while.
                          Beat me to it. I don't know a lot about Joe Manchin, but I figure a guy bright enough to get elected as a Dem in a soldifly red state won't be interested in smearing himself with the political equivalent of shit. I'm sure they have tried to get him in the past, and that was when the party had a better image.

He has all the influence he needs right now.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• GVChamp,

I swear to God, you're the weirdest conservative I know -- you have what I would deem fairly realistic analysis of the general state of politics, you want to impeach/convict Trump...and then you use the same apocalyptic language of, say, the III%ers.

it's like watching, oh, David Brooks talk about tort reform and then add at the end, "But don't forget, Democrats are COMMUNIST MARXIST NAZIS THAT SOLD US TO THE CCP AND HUGO CHAVEZ!111".

Trump himself is not a serious threat and never was a serious threat. He winked at a mob and it delayed a vote count for a few hours.
                            dude, there were fucking IEDs, nooses, gallows, and zip ties. had the Capitol Police been somewhat more incompetent and the mob just somewhat better coordinated, we would likely have seen the spectacle of the fucking cult members lynching members of Congress. they were marching down the hallways of the Capitol screaming their desire to hang Pence!

Comment

• Beat me to it. I don't know a lot about Joe Manchin, but I figure a guy bright enough to get elected as a Dem in a soldifly red state won't be interested in smearing himself with the political equivalent of shit. I'm sure they have tried to get him in the past, and that was when the party had a better image.

He has all the influence he needs right now.
                              bingo, we're in a situation where Joe Manchin gets any check he wants written, and he knows it.

that's precisely why he's against the filibuster.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                                GVChamp,
                                I swear to God, you're the weirdest conservative I know
                                That makes two of us...

Comment

Working...
                                X