2021 American Political Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's Pentagon chief says he 'cannot wait to leave' his job

(CNN)Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller, who will leave office in less than a week. stated that he 'cannot wait to leave this job," according to a transcript released by the Department of Defense.

The admission, during a press gaggle Thursday on his way back from a trip to Nebraska, Tennessee and Colorado, was one of a number of stunning statements from the man President Donald Trump picked to take over the position just over two months ago.

The comments came the same day the Pentagon said at least 21,000 National Guard are being mobilized in Washington, DC, amid security concerns around next week's inauguration following the deadly riots at the Capitol.

Miller was asked about the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), a fifth-generation fighter jet considered the most expensive weapons program in history used by the Air Force, Marines and Navy. After clarifying that the question is about the F-35 and not a different weapons system, Miller begins his answer by saying, "I so...I mean, I cannot wait to leave this job, believe me."

He then apparently went on to disparage the latest American fighter jet, saying, "Yesterday we were talking to some guy, some lieutenant colonel, or colonel, said 'what are you flying?' Said 'F-35,' I was like that's a piece of ... and he was like ... and he laughed, and I was like, 'No seriously, tell me about it.'"

"I'm like, we have created a monster, but you know that," he concludes.

When asked what he wanted to see from Northern Command next week, Miller gave a meandering response that comes across as incoherent at times. "Uh, I needed to look the commander in the eye, because, you know, the President, SecDef, me ... I, whatever the correct English is, you guys can clean that up. Should have paid more attention in high school. My wife would be ashamed of me not knowing the proper preposition—and then, uh General VanHerck. So, you know, you just, I said it before, you can have [video tele-conferences] all day long, you know, but you wanna, like, I wanted to look the guy in the eye and get a sense for his soul and I think he probably needed to do that for me as well," Miller said.

Miller became the acting secretary of defense when Trump fired Mark Esper via Twitter on November 9, two days after Joe Biden was declared the winner of the Presidential election.

Apparently Donald Trump's babbling incoherence is contagious. Good thing he hires "only the best people"....that can only whine about their inadequate high school education.

Anybody want to take a crack at translating that Trumpian lunacy into plain English?^^
    “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

A party driven by violence and revanche

What could possibly go wrong?
      Maybe we could give all these right wings nuts their own state to isolate in.

Florida, maybe? DOR and GG live there but they might be the only few with a sense of reason so jettison the state into the gulf.

If not, maybe Idaho.

Comment

• Republicans Lash Out Against New Security Measures At The Capitol -- NPR

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., that the new measures were "bulls***," and they were diverting valuable resources. He also said GOP members weren't consulted by security officials before they were installed.
        "This is political correctness run amok. The threat is outside, not inside. Every resource used inside is one that can't be used outside," [Rodney Davis of Illinois] argued, according to a readout of the briefing.
        LMAO from the same party that advocated issuing firearms to teachers instead of engaging in good faith debate over proper gun legislation. Nothing is a problem to these people until it happens to themselves.
        "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Maybe we could give all these right wings nuts their own state to isolate in.

Florida, maybe? DOR and GG live there but they might be the only few with a sense of reason so jettison the state into the gulf.

If not, maybe Idaho.
          I also live in Florida, so...no, no thank you.
          “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
          ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
            or, in GVChamp's case, accompanying an 18-year old to drink at a bar...:-O
            And considering I am an "Old" and the drinking age was 18 when I was yunger this was never a consideration.

Used to hang out at Sonny Jurgensen's bar, Maggie's Goalpost on Wisconsin Ave in DC, when I was 17 as a senior in high school....
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              Trump's Pentagon chief says he 'cannot wait to leave' his job

(CNN)Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller, who will leave office in less than a week. stated that he 'cannot wait to leave this job," according to a transcript released by the Department of Defense.

The admission, during a press gaggle Thursday on his way back from a trip to Nebraska, Tennessee and Colorado, was one of a number of stunning statements from the man President Donald Trump picked to take over the position just over two months ago.

The comments came the same day the Pentagon said at least 21,000 National Guard are being mobilized in Washington, DC, amid security concerns around next week's inauguration following the deadly riots at the Capitol.

Miller was asked about the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), a fifth-generation fighter jet considered the most expensive weapons program in history used by the Air Force, Marines and Navy. After clarifying that the question is about the F-35 and not a different weapons system, Miller begins his answer by saying, "I so...I mean, I cannot wait to leave this job, believe me."

He then apparently went on to disparage the latest American fighter jet, saying, "Yesterday we were talking to some guy, some lieutenant colonel, or colonel, said 'what are you flying?' Said 'F-35,' I was like that's a piece of ... and he was like ... and he laughed, and I was like, 'No seriously, tell me about it.'"

"I'm like, we have created a monster, but you know that," he concludes.

When asked what he wanted to see from Northern Command next week, Miller gave a meandering response that comes across as incoherent at times. "Uh, I needed to look the commander in the eye, because, you know, the President, SecDef, me ... I, whatever the correct English is, you guys can clean that up. Should have paid more attention in high school. My wife would be ashamed of me not knowing the proper preposition—and then, uh General VanHerck. So, you know, you just, I said it before, you can have [video tele-conferences] all day long, you know, but you wanna, like, I wanted to look the guy in the eye and get a sense for his soul and I think he probably needed to do that for me as well," Miller said.

Miller became the acting secretary of defense when Trump fired Mark Esper via Twitter on November 9, two days after Joe Biden was declared the winner of the Presidential election.

Apparently Donald Trump's babbling incoherence is contagious. Good thing he hires "only the best people"....that can only whine about their inadequate high school education.

Anybody want to take a crack at translating that Trumpian lunacy into plain English?^^
              This clown is a raging idiot. Anyone in the know said this as soon his name came up.

Good riddance.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

And considering I am an "Old" and the drinking age was 18 when I was yunger this was never a consideration.

Used to hang out at Sonny Jurgensen's bar, Maggie's Goalpost on Wisconsin Ave in DC, when I was 17 as a senior in high school....
                Meanwhile I had to hop between dorms and houses, often relying on the generosity of strangers and vague acquaintances, until the Earth revolved 21 times in my favor. You Boomers had it made, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Team View Post

Meanwhile I had to hop between dorms and houses, often relying on the generosity of strangers and vague acquaintances, until the Earth revolved 21 times in my favor. You Boomers had it made, man.
                  Not really that hard to find drinks in college, but then again I was in a frat.
                  Partly an argument FOR increasing the drinking age: 18 year olds in college can still drink with 21 year olds, if you let 18 year olds purchase, you're basically ensuring similar access for 14 and 15 year old high school students.

Also, we have craft whiskey and craft beer and craft everything else, so overall I'm happy for the trade. Chicago has a killer beer scene, overall.
                  "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Burrowing in people anathem to Defense or National Security

In a last-minute move, NSA installing Trump loyalist as general counsel

CNN)The National Security Agency said Sunday it was installing Trump NSC staffer Michael Ellis as its general counsel, after acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller orderedNSA Director Gen. Paul Nakasone to place the Trump loyalist into the role.

"Mr. Ellis accepted his final job offer yesterday afternoon. NSA is moving forward with his employment," an NSA spokesperson said in a statement.

Ellis, who was a lawyer for the National Security Council, had been named to the position in November, but the NSA had yet to move him into the role. The Washington Post and CNN reported Saturday that Miller, who was installed as acting defense secretary as part of a purge of agencies after the election, had ordered Nakasone to install him into the position, giving him a Saturday evening deadline.

The move is significant because the role of general counsel at the country's largest intelligence agency is a civil service position, not a political role, meaning it could be difficult for the Biden administration to remove Ellis, a practice known as "burrowing" in the government.

The Pentagon declined to comment Saturday when news of the deadline broke.

Within days of Ellis' being picked for the job in November, which came shortly after President Donald Trump fired then-Defense Secretary Mark Esper via Twitter, Sens. Mark Warner and Jack Reed requested an investigation from the Pentagon's acting inspector general, saying in a letter, "The combination of timing, comparative lack of experience of the candidate, the reported qualifications of the other finalists, and press accounts of White House involvement create a perception that political influence or considerations may have played an undue role in a merit-based civil service selection process."

Before joining the Trump administration, Ellis served as the head counsel to California Rep. Devin Nunes, one of Trump's staunchest supporters. Ellis then became a lawyer with the National Security Council, refusing to testify as part of the House's 2019 impeachment inquiry. In March 2020, Ellis became the senior director for intelligence on the NSC, joining other Trump loyalists in key intelligence positions.

When reached by The Washington Post on Saturday, Ellis said: "I don't talk to the press, thank you," and hung up. CNN has been unable to reach Ellis for comment.

cont:
                    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/17/polit...sel/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

Not really that hard to find drinks in college, but then again I was in a frat.
                      Partly an argument FOR increasing the drinking age: 18 year olds in college can still drink with 21 year olds, if you let 18 year olds purchase, you're basically ensuring similar access for 14 and 15 year old high school students.

Also, we have craft whiskey and craft beer and craft everything else, so overall I'm happy for the trade. Chicago has a killer beer scene, overall.
                      Frats weren't really my scene, but I managed to make enough connections to make it work. I do kind of get the logic behind a 21 y/o drinking age with respect to the effects of perceived age-related immaturity, but the available data on this seems to contradict this as a primary effect. IMO the effects of a readily available public transportation/taxis/ride sharing on drunk driving are underappreciated, especially when we start looking at the many other countries with lower drinking ages but also lower cases of impaired driving related deaths.

Chicago is definitely up there on my post-pandemic/post-vaccine travel list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                        SIGH! And here was me hoping the silence would last longer.

DE, surely we have passed the point where you should be using what you think or what you expect as a yardstick to measure anything to do with this topic. If you lack the insight or imagination to understand why a person might behave differently to what you expect, maybe just ask others to explain it to you. Perhaps some patient soul who has not been tortured by your 'stream of consciousness meets the energizer bunny' approach to US politics will happen along to help you out.

In the meantime, less is more. Much, much, much less.
                        If you cannot understand what i'm saying ask for a clarification.

Click image for larger version  Name:	legitimately won.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	1571162
                        This is what i'm getting at. The share of people who think the present incumbent is illegitimate.

This is not some fringe minority.

How is this country going to get over it ?

For now 25k national guard for the inauguration.
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Jan 21,, 03:46.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	legitimately won.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	1571162
                          This is what i'm getting at. The share of people who think the present incumbent is illegitimate.

You were talking about Trump and the riots. It was a very specific statement There was no ambiguity. If you don't want to address the topic of my posts then don't waste my time replying to them.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post

the reason why there are so many people who think that way is because one party's political leadership has repeatedly spread the propaganda that the election was illegitimate.

that is it.

not because there was -actual illegal acts-.

so all the "investigations" and "voter ID" bullshit that the GOP is pushing for is all an act to put a legitimate blush on what is clearly a bunch of steaming shit. Georgia has some of the strictest voter laws in the country, that didn't prevent the GOP from claiming election fraud.

the country will "get over it" when the current turd in the White House is removed and flushed back to Mar a Lago, followed by continued prosecution and investigations into his multiple pay-to-play schemes and grifting, and hopefully bankruptcy as Deutsche Bank rolls in.

if he decides to split the GOP on his way out, then that'll be the first decent thing he's done for the country.
                            The next major date is the midterms. They have to get over it or surrender the country to the Dems

I followed all the various allegations made and was familiar with the bulk of Trump's speech.

All that followed was a recount. Nothing more. Pence didn't think more was merited.

No forensic audit nothing. Does not exactly inspire confidence.

In some ways i can understand why this was not done because there would be no end to it.

Would any investigation ever be good enough to convince ?

it would set an impossible precedent. Better to block it at the national level and it never happens with lower elections.

Yes, you can challenge the result but the best you can expect is a recount.

People that managed the first count are not going to find problems the second time around are they, heh.

This means this strategy will not be adopted by the losing party in the future.

It was a one off.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Jan 21,, 16:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	legitimately won.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	1571162

I was very sad when Al Gore received more votes, and probably won Florida, but George W Bush became President.
                              I was very sad, and quite angry, when voter suppression and foreign interference played a role in Trump's victory.

Never, not for a single moment, did I ever think of destroying democracy because I didn't get my way.

Trust me?
                              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post

I was very sad when Al Gore received more votes, and probably won Florida, but George W Bush became President.
                                I was very sad, and quite angry, when voter suppression and foreign interference played a role in Trump's victory.

Never, not for a single moment, did I ever think of destroying democracy because I didn't get my way.
                                This is you never had as many not believing the result.

yeah people were very upset with the 2016 election but it never got to the point it had now.

Is election integrity something to work on ?

How strict are voter ID rules, checks and the like.

Can illegals vote. This is not impossible in some states of my country.

Dominion software ? I got a earful about this.

The reason voting machines in my country are dumber than calculators is precisely for this reason.
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Jan 21,, 16:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X