2021 American Political Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Boots Parler Off Of Its Web Hosting Service

Amazon on Saturday kicked Parler off its Web hosting services, which means that unless it can find another host, once the ban takes effect on Sunday Parler will go offline, BuzzFeed News reports.

It's definitely not a good time to be a Nazi.

Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

• Maybe some nice oligarch in Russia will host them. be a nice fit.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Their stupidity is too much for the Russians.
        Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

The Republican Party is pretty toxic at the moment. The defections will be going in the opposite direction for while.
          They are toxic but deep down do they really care? We don't know but I have my doubts. They have been devolving ever since the Grinch said we will never compromise as the Democrats are the enemy. When you are after power then a hiccup every now and then is to be expected but stay the course and you might...

TH, here is a link for you as it is a long but worthwhile read. I'm sure you will like it as would some others. Mind you the opening picture might give you nightmares.

But What If We Didn’t

https://whatever.scalzi.com/2021/01/...t-if-we-didnt/

Comment

• This is straight up BS. An attempt by the said official(s) of trying desperately to wash the stain of Trumpism from their resume so that they might get a half decent employment opportunity post the Trump admin. These people used Trump to execute their own policy agenda, while steadfastly standing behind him and defending every single thing he said and did in the last 4 years. Now that he is on his way out, they don't need him anymore and he has become a liability, so they think they can just come out and say "Oh, you were right about him all along! We just didn't see it till now. Sorry about that. We good?".

When the next Trump comes along (and he will) these swamp creatures will use him and defend him just as they used and defended Trump.

Comment

I would say the correct term is "Neo fascist". In other words, Might Makes Right and The Leader Is Always Right.
              Many people think 'might makes right' and the leader 'being right' is pretty normal even in a democracy. To call someone a 'fascist' (or a 'communist' or 'anarchist' etc) pre-supposes that that person has somewhere they want to take society; an 'ideal world' they are heading toward and at least some superficial reason why such a method and goal is in line with the laws of nature or history. None of the dictators today (except perhaps the North Korean regime) have any of the deeper theory that go into making an '-ist'. They just have slogans that mean next to nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                This is straight up BS. An attempt by the said official(s) of trying desperately to wash the stain of Trumpism from their resume so that they might get a half decent employment opportunity post the Trump admin. These people used Trump to execute their own policy agenda, while steadfastly standing behind him and defending every single thing he said and did in the last 4 years. Now that he is on his way out, they don't need him anymore and he has become a liability, so they think they can just come out and say "Oh, you were right about him all along! We just didn't see it till now. Sorry about that. We good?".

When the next Trump comes along (and he will) these swamp creatures will use him and defend him just as they used and defended Trump.
                Correct. When the time came, every one got busy shoving and pushing Trump under the bus. Maybe now, Trump would realise he had no friends, only for his antics, which in no way were Presidential.
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

That's because the left is insane and rapidly radicalizing, and it is ceasing to be "the left" and becoming "ruling ideology." Wanting to remove Trump is not an endorsement of Democrats, in particular Kamala Harris, who is 1 heartbeat away from the Oval.

Trump himself is not a serious threat and never was a serious threat. He winked at a mob and it delayed a vote count for a few hours. In return, his legislative support promptly vanished, Pence effectively 25'd him, he lost his messaging abilities on social media, and he might even face criminal charges as soon as he leaves office. Don't let the House GOP or Hawley fool you: they just want his votes and think they can keep sticking their head in the lion's mouth without getting it bitten off. If it really came down to it, both McCarthy and Hawley would throw under Trump under a bus.

My concern is that NOT acting against Trump creates a serious precedent for OTHER politicians and political groups. We already have too much political violence, and we don't need more.

Hindsight 20/20, I'd feel comfortable voting with Biden, because (D) does not have the votes to Court-pack. Though I still can't say I would, because I do not trust Harris in the slightest, and I already know for a fact that Trump's going to get stuffed the moment HE tries something radically stupid.

GVChamp,

“That's because the left is insane and rapidly radicalizing, and it is ceasing to be 'the left' and becoming 'ruling ideology.'”
                  That one is hard to get my head around in the wake of the utter, radical insanity that played out last week. More, if what you call “the left” is no longer … whatever it was, and has become the “ruling ideology,” wouldn't that make it the point of view most appreciated by the most people?

“Trump himself is not a serious threat and never was a serious threat. ”
                  Large, steaming piles of horseshit. He egged on unhinged whack jobs, and four people died.

Oh, and how's that deep, heart-felt political conversion coming along for McCarthy and Hawley? Still no where near the first step, is it?

Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

Those two sentences are not compatible. At all.
                    I think they're pretty compatible. If you try to contract a murder on craigslist, you're an idiot, and you're not really a major threat. But if we don't throw you in jail, LOTS of people are going to try posting murders on craigslist, because everyone will think it's no big deal.

It's a big deal. It's a problem. You need to go to jail. But you're not Al Capone.

I swear to God, you're the weirdest conservative I know -- you have what I would deem fairly realistic analysis of the general state of politics, you want to impeach/convict Trump...and then you use the same apocalyptic language of, say, the III%ers.

it's like watching, oh, David Brooks talk about tort reform and then add at the end, "But don't forget, Democrats are COMMUNIST MARXIST NAZIS THAT SOLD US TO THE CCP AND HUGO CHAVEZ!111".
                    I mean, have you considered the possibility that you actually ARE the frog in water and you're being slowly boiled?

Now that we have some more conservative jurists, I feel more comfortable that we've established a firm guard-rail against the Progressives, but that's not really all that strong if they are just going to pack the courts the moment they get the chance. We'll see how the next few years evolve with street protests and how the national party responds now that they are the ones in charge.

I'm still probably not voting for a ticket that includes Kamala Harris and I still think the progressive policy platform is moronic. You guys are still talking about the New Deal like it was some sort of major achievement, when it totally failed at eliminating the Depression and the lasting programs are associated with a double-dip that wiped out FDR's support. You might point out that the New Deal failed because it didn't spend enough money, and I'd agree, and say that I agree with the Neoliberal position that we should money drop, and the GOP position that we should filibuster new spending programs.

Also, still not very conservative. I'm very partisan GOP, but other GOPers would consider me RINO.

Sounds like a case of mind virus

Right now the GOP is the enemy of the United States. I'm not talking conservatism but the GOP as an entity. Where we ended up on Wednesday was by design. Design by the Republican Party. and I'm sure they are quietly thinking that their plan didn't work this time but will have to try again.

So keep on fearing the left but as I said the real enemy right now is the GOP where white, Christian men rule the map.
                    I'm sorry, this is insanity. If the GOP as an entity had deliberately planned Wednesday, there wouldn't be a Democratic Congressional Caucus right now and Pence would be President.
                    The GOP is not the enemy of the people, it coddled Trump and is full of craven cowards who don't want to be too vocal against him lest they lose votes. This is bad, but it's an entirely different species of bad.
                    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

I'm sorry, this is insanity. If the GOP as an entity had deliberately planned Wednesday, there wouldn't be a Democratic Congressional Caucus right now and Pence would be President.
                      The GOP is not the enemy of the people, it coddled Trump and is full of craven cowards who don't want to be too vocal against him lest they lose votes. This is bad, but it's an entirely different species of bad.
                      Well, of course, you would think it is insanity as you are very partisan GOP as you just said. If anything you have been the one undergoing a slow boil since 1995.

Comment

• Forbes Editor Op-Ed
                        A Truth Reckoning: Why We’re Holding Those Who Lied For Trump Accountable

Yesterday’s insurrection was rooted in lies. That a fair election was stolen. That a significant defeat was actually a landslide victory. That the world’s oldest democracy, ingeniously insulated via autonomous state voting regimens, is a rigged system. Such lies-upon-lies, repeated frequently and fervently, provided the kindling, the spark, the gasoline.

That Donald Trump devolved from commander-in-chief to liar-in-chief didn’t surprise Forbes: As we’ve chronicled early and often, for all his billions and Barnum-like abilities, he’s been shamelessly exaggerating and prevaricating to our faces for almost four decades. More astonishing: the number of people willing to lend credence to that obvious mendacity on his behalf.

In this time of transition – and pain – reinvigorating democracy requires a reckoning. A truth reckoning. Starting with the people paid by the People to inform the People.

As someone in the business of facts, it’s been especially painful to watch President Trump’s press secretaries debase themselves. Yes, as with their political bosses, spins and omissions and exaggerations are part of the game. But ultimately in PR, core credibility is the coin of the realm.

From Day One at the Trump White House, up has been down, yes has been no, failure has been success. Sean Spicer set the tone with the inauguration crowd size – the worst kind of whopper, as it demanded that people disbelieve their own eyes. The next day, Kellyanne Conway defended Spicer’s lie with a new term, “alternative facts.” Spicer’s successor, Sarah Huckabee Sanders lied at scale, from smearing those who accused Trump of sexual harassment to conjuring jobs statistics. Her successor, Stephanie Grisham, over the course of a year, never even held a press conference, though the BS continued unabated across friendly outlets. And finally, Kayleigh McEnany, Harvard Law graduate, a propaganda prodigy at 32 who makes smiling falsehood an art form. All of this magnified by journalists too often following an old playbook ill-prepared for an Orwellian communication era.

As American democracy rebounds, we need to return to a standard of truth when it comes to how the government communicates with the governed. The easiest way to do that, from where I sit, is to create repercussions for those who don’t follow the civic norms. Trump’s lawyers lie gleefully to the press and public, but those lies, magically, almost never made it into briefs and arguments – contempt, perjury and disbarment keep the professional standards high.

So what’s the parallel in the dark arts of communication? Simple: Don’t let the chronic liars cash in on their dishonesty. Press secretaries like Joe Lockhart, Ari Fleischer and Jay Carney, who left the White House with their reputations in various stages of intact, made millions taking their skills — and credibility — to corporate America. Trump’s liars don’t merit that same golden parachute. Let it be known to the business world: Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie. We’re going to scrutinize, double-check, investigate with the same skepticism we’d approach a Trump tweet. Want to ensure the world’s biggest business media brand approaches you as a potential funnel of disinformation? Then hire away.

This isn’t cancel culture, which is a societal blight. (There’s surely a nice living for each of these press secretaries on the true-believer circuit.) Nor is this politically motivated, as Forbes’ pro-entrepreneur, pro-growth worldview has generally placed it in the right-of-center camp over the past century — this standard needs to apply to liars from either party. It’s just a realization that, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, in a thriving democracy, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Our national reset starts there.

Music to my ears. More companies need to step up and promise This Exact Thing.
                        Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

• GVChamp,

mean, have you considered the possibility that you actually ARE the frog in water and you're being slowly boiled?

Now that we have some more conservative jurists, I feel more comfortable that we've established a firm guard-rail against the Progressives, but that's not really all that strong if they are just going to pack the courts the moment they get the chance. We'll see how the next few years evolve with street protests and how the national party responds now that they are the ones in charge.
                          see, here's the disconnect. if you think Democrats are gonna just be "ruling ideology", that institutions such as the courts don't mean anything against this -- then you are in 100% concurrence with the crazies that attacked the Capitol.

you just happen to think that the apocalypse is gonna be a few years down the line vs right now.

I'm still probably not voting for a ticket that includes Kamala Harris and I still think the progressive policy platform is moronic. You guys are still talking about the New Deal like it was some sort of major achievement, when it totally failed at eliminating the Depression and the lasting programs are associated with a double-dip that wiped out FDR's support. You might point out that the New Deal failed because it didn't spend enough money, and I'd agree, and say that I agree with the Neoliberal position that we should money drop, and the GOP position that we should filibuster new spending programs.
                          I don't care about this-- this is standard GOP pablum. of course, there's a MAJOR leap between "the New Deal was a failure" and "Democrats are going to destroy the Republic."

policy disagreements =/= "the opposite side is insane and will destroy all the freedoms we hold dear."

you know what is insane? the President of the United States egging on a mob, and desperate legislators and aides begging the President to call his dogs off.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Arnold Schwarzenegger - "My message to my fellow Americans and friends around the world following this week's attack on the Capitol."

Last edited by JRT; 11 Jan 21,, 01:29.

Comment

I think they're pretty compatible. If you try to contract a murder on craigslist, you're an idiot, and you're not really a major threat. But if we don't throw you in jail, LOTS of people are going to try posting murders on craigslist, because everyone will think it's no big deal.

It's a big deal. It's a problem. You need to go to jail. But you're not Al Capone.

I mean, have you considered the possibility that you actually ARE the frog in water and you're being slowly boiled?

Also, still not very conservative. I'm very partisan GOP, but other GOPers would consider me RINO.

and, Vichy France was not the enemy of the French people (except those who didn't fit their image).
                              Just collaborators.
                              Fine.
                              Trust me?
                              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                                GVChamp,

see, here's the disconnect. if you think Democrats are gonna just be "ruling ideology", that institutions such as the courts don't mean anything against this -- then you are in 100% concurrence with the crazies that attacked the Capitol.

you just happen to think that the apocalypse is gonna be a few years down the line vs right now.

I don't care about this-- this is standard GOP pablum. of course, there's a MAJOR leap between "the New Deal was a failure" and "Democrats are going to destroy the Republic."

policy disagreements =/= "the opposite side is insane and will destroy all the freedoms we hold dear."

you know what is insane? the President of the United States egging on a mob, and desperate legislators and aides begging the President to call his dogs off.
                                I am explicitly telling you that I do not think all institutions will be meaningless and I am explicitly telling you that I want lifetime conservative judges to serve as a block on any sort of insanity coming from this unholy monster birthed by 2010s Progressivism. Even if the courts don't hold, I certainly don't think we should be storming the Capitol or the White House or anywhere else. I absolutely do not think we should be overturning election results.

The crazies are explicitly telling you that the courts are already rigged against MAGA, the election was already rigged against MAGA, and we need to take back the country right now.

Even if I thought the dictatorship ball game was lost, I'm certainly not going to throw my lot in with an obvious loser. Trump is not Caesar.
                                "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Working...
                                X