Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillary said WHAT????

Hillary praises Soviet invasion of Afghanistan

WASHINGTON, December 18 (Online): US Senator Hillary Clinton, praising the former Soviet Union the other day for its 1979 invasion of Afghanistan, said that the attack helped bring women's rights to the fundamentalist Muslim country.

"The Soviets tried to provide more opportunities for women," Mrs Clinton told the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, in a speech billed by her office as "her first major foreign policy address as a US senator."

In quotes picked up by the New York Sun, Clinton noted that Afghanistan was "the place where September 11 was conceived and implemented." She then criticised the Bush administration for not focusing more on the former Al-Qaeda stronghold, reports Western media.

Contrasting the US occupation of Afghanistan with that of the Evil Empire, Clinton complained, "Too soon the eyes of the administration moved from Kabul to Baghdad."

The former first lady detailed her Thanksgiving Day meeting with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, saying she urged him to implement a high-profile effort to improve maternal health.

Clinton said that such a program would be critical because the people of Afghanistan need to see that America's presence has produced "tangible results" like schools and health clinics - not just electoral and political reforms.

She then suggested that a Soviet-style occupation of Afghanistan, which included the wholesale slaughter of the Afghan people in a bid to install a puppet government, had its merits, since it helped women.

"One of the reasons why we were able to marshal the Mujahideen and the warlords against the Soviets is because the Soviets tried to provide more opportunities for women," she told the CFR.

paktribune.com/news/print...0637db2925

That thinking is soooo confused.

What she seems to be saying is that every group in Afghanistan did well, including the ruskies and the US when it supported al-qaeda, except for Bush in not spotting al-qaeda coming after the US. But including Bush for liberating the country from the Taliban.

I don't think i have seen a better example of "when to shut up" for a long time.

:doh!
    at

Comment

"Clinton noted that Afghanistan was "the place where September 11 was conceived and implemented.""

Well, that is true..to a point. But you know who sat on his hands and let it happen? I think it was her husband!

Comment

I suspect Bill wasn't sitting on his own hands at the time.

:)
        at

Comment

:lol I knew that one was coming

Comment

:D yeah what does she know of politics. more than me (probably) :D :D :sniper :taynk
            two wrongs dont make a right but three wrongs do. ;D

join my games site

Comment

I'm not quite following you, Trooth.

@Tophattter- I agree wholeheartedly...the only person who scares me more than Hilary when it comes to foreign affairs is Dean or Clark...and Kucinich. One is the man who said "we must prepare for the day when the U.S. military is not the world's most dominant military"...another is a supposed "general"...I fail to understand how he got to be in the position that he did...how brown is his nose? The last one thinks we need to remove all U.S. troops from Iraq, right now.

Comment

HRC is, pretty obviously, gonna run for president, probably 2008, but some loons are saying she might be the "write in" candidate this year. Hiliary's main thrust is her presidential candidacy. Her book was written to clear the air in plenty of time for her to run, for example. She is playing the long game. She may as well have a go at foreign affairs now and see how it goes, rather than in four years time when it will matter more.

Any future president has to have some sort of position on foreign policy. Dubya's was that America should have less, not more. Circumstances changed that for him , and for subsequent candidates, for a good decade or so.
                at

Comment

HRC would be utterly crushed in a general election vs any kind of half decent republican candidate.

For every one who admires here i submit there are 3 people who'd like to see her dead, lol.

Comment

But, at some point, you and i know she is going to run. Her current political office gets her expeience points, she has cleared a lot of the upcoming smear campaign.

The only thing that can derail her plans to become 2008 democrat candidate is the democrats actually looking like they might win 2004! If that happens she might start jockeying for the VP position for this term.
                    at

Comment

Rodham, yuck.
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Oh Hillary is going to run in 2008, no doubt about it. She is already grooming herself. Like it or not, she's coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                          Oh Hillary is going to run in 2008, no doubt about it. She is already grooming herself. Like it or not, she's coming.
                          Yes but she doesn't have Slick Willy's element of surprise...

Comment

Not only will she run, she will, very likely, win.
                            sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by 2DREZQ
                              Not only will she run, she will, very likely, win.
                              Maybe if she..

1.Finds a way to fire our servicemen in droves.

2. Manages to bump off the civi's that'll vote against her in droves.

Comment

Working...
                              X